Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,954 members, 7,952,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:14 AM

Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway (8485 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / Bayelsa: PDP In Early Lead, As INEC Declares Results At Polling Units, Wards / Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by IrunmoleD1: 10:29am On Aug 07, 2011
Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway
Sat, 06/08/2011 - 11:32pm | TORDUE SALEM
A Bill to prohibit the overseas basic and undergraduate education of children and wards of public officers and other matters has been introduced in the House of Representatives.
The Bill, obtained by Leadership Sunday, was introduced by former Rep. Emmanuel Bello (PDP/Hong/Adamawa) last year and is still lying with the Bills office at the National Assembly.
The bill, if passed into law, will prescribe penalties for public office holders who send their wards abroad to obtain basic education without a “waiver” from the education minister.
But a member of the House, Hon. Friday Itulah(PDP/Edo) said the piece of legislation was totally unnecessary and uncalled for.
“That is rubbish talk. You can send your children anywhere you like. This is democracy, so if you have money you can send your children to go school in space. Issues like that are better taken as motions instead of bills”, he said
The summary of the Bill stated: “Subject to a written waiver granted under the hand of the Minister for Education, every child and/or ward(s) of public servant shall henceforth undergo basic and undergraduate education in the country.
“The Minister for education shall, in consideration of an application for waiver, pursuant to section 1 be guided by the nature of the proposed course of study for an undergraduate applicant, medical condition and the general national interest.
“Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of this Act, any public officer whose children and /or wards are undergoing basic and undergraduate education overseas immediately before the date when this Act comes into force shall be deemed to be doing so pursuant to a waiver granted by the Minister or for education”, the Bill stated.
The short bill added that, “Otherwise prescribed, any public officer who seeks, applies and procures overseas education and or scholarship for his children or wards for basic or undergraduate education shall be guilty of an offence”.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/3347/2011/08/07/law_ban_overseas_education_wards_public_officers_underway.html
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by IrunmoleD1: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2011
Maybe this will make the so call ruling elite to take Nigeria education system seriously
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by ektbear: 10:36am On Aug 07, 2011
How is this even constitutional? So if your son gains admission to Harvard, he shouldn't go? grin

Very silly proposal
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by IrunmoleD1: 10:51am On Aug 07, 2011
If you want your son to go for that harvard admission then don't be a senetor, law maker, gov or presido.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by oderemo(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2011
this is another futile exercise by the lawless maker, can any1 in his right sense tell me who will obey this law. ?
the problem i think in Nigeria is not of lawmaking but there is no appetite for prosecuting any law breaker in our country.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by ektbear: 11:11am On Aug 07, 2011
So rather than fixing the Lagos-Ibadan road, power supply, this is the bill these useless politicians have time for?

As my old man would say, they are majoring in minor
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

So rather than fixing the Lagos-Ibadan road, power supply, this is the bill these useless politicians have time for?

personally, i agree with this bill

plus no generator for public official

naija hospitals only

public schools only

unless their looting directly impacts on them - nigeria will continue on this path
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by IrunmoleD1: 11:22am On Aug 07, 2011
Nigeria problem is multi dimensional and education is one of the majors. If this bill could be passed, maybe the policy makers will address the rot and monopoly in our education system. In a situation where you have senate chairman on education commitee, education minister or special adviser on education's childrena are schooling abroad, they sure will not give a $%#@ if AASU is on strike for 6 years.

The bill will not be passed anyway. I trust my law breakers or sorry law makers, tongue
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by ektbear: 11:22am On Aug 07, 2011
oyb:

naija hospitals only

public schools only

unless their looting directly impacts on them - nigeria will continue on this path

I just don't understand how they are legally enforceable. How can you make such a law? How is it even enforceable? I don't think you can pass laws anyhow that violate people's rights. I cannot pass a law making someone a slave, for example.

Anyway, if it were me and someone tried to put this law into place, I'd just transfer custody of my kids to a trusted friend abroad, or something.

Aren't there better ways of bring accountability for lawmakers?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by jmaine: 11:28am On Aug 07, 2011
There is something similar to this as pertains to restrictions on PHCN execs from using generators in their homes . . . .what happened next . . .wherever this execs are resided,they enjoy an unbridalled availability of power supply . . . . This proposed bill even though shallow in substance and overall impacts can easily be circumvented by those affected . . .No be Naija we dey. . .
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

I just don't understand how they are legally enforceable. How can you make such a law? How is it even enforceable? I don't think you can pass laws anyhow that violate people's rights. I cannot pass a law making someone a slave, for example.

Anyway, if it were me and someone tried to put this law into place, I'd just transfer custody of my kids to a trusted friend abroad, or something.

last last it doesn't matter

the fg reneges on laws and agreements all the time the last nlc strike and the looming ASUU strike are cases in point
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by olaolabiy: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2011
Mchewwwwwwwww

Waste of time. Nonsense.

In a country where ministers skipped NYSC. Yet, nothing was done.

How many people with dual citizenship do we have in government today? Yet there was a law meant to bar this many many years ago.

Nigerians . . . . . . shadow-chasing people.

Shio!
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 07, 2011
dis bill is a good step in d right direction. Those opposin the bill are public servants and their children but God don catch una dis time. It must be passed. Una nor dey go anywhere.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by werepeLeri: 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2011
No law can stop me from sending my wards to overseas schools if I am a public officer- what if he wins a scholarship?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by redsun(m): 1:20pm On Aug 07, 2011
Good,if they actually believe in the country they are running,they should educated their children there.Leadership is by examples and precedents.

If want a good education,you create a good education not running to another man's creation
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by redsun(m): 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
Education is the creation of man,a way of working out things in life,finding solution.It is like walking through the darkness and carving out lights.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by olaolabiy: 1:32pm On Aug 07, 2011
redsun:

Good,if they actually believe in the country they are running,they should educated their children there.Leadership is by examples and precedents.

If want a good education,you create a good education not running to another man's creation

It is not a question of good or bad.

It is not going to happen. Don't waste your energy.

Tell me a law that has ever been stringently adhered to in Nigeria? Let alone one against the elite

You can pass the law but it will be tossed into the nearest dustbin.

I expect anyone with the slightest idea of how we do things in Nigeria to take this with a pinch of salt.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by werepeLeri: 1:38pm On Aug 07, 2011
redsun:

Good,if they actually believe in the country they are running,they[i] should educated their children[/i] there.Leadership is by examples and precedents.

Yeee. See this bomb wey u throw wey. For my mind, i think say na for England u go school, no be Nigeria, they should educated (sic) their children there?
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by redsun(m): 2:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
redsun:

Good,if they actually believe in the country they are running,they should educate their children there.Leadership is by examples and precedents.

Yeah,that is all you can see.It is just an english,that could be reinterpreted and respelled.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by redsun(m): 2:18pm On Aug 07, 2011
That is how they got them,believing and letting go of their instincts.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Johndoe100(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2011
This another stupid idea from the new Reps. They cannot limit the rights of the children without amending the constitution.
The kids don't work for the governmen. The bil will not pass and if it does will be struck down at the first challenge.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by gists: 3:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
oyb:

naija hospitals only

public schools only

+ embargo on air travels within the country
These will automatically make our leaders more responsible. IF ONLY IT CAN BE ENFORCED.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

So rather than fixing the Lagos-Ibadan road, power supply, this is the bill, in addition to suggesting suspension of night travel thereby curbing the freedoms of the people, these useless politicians have time for?

Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by redsun(m): 3:37pm On Aug 07, 2011
Banning night travel will be suicidal,It is going to ground a hefty and buoyant portion of nigerian weakling economy.
It is a state of emergency,a state of anarchy where a government cannot protect her citizens,no matter the second.minutes and hours of the day.

A state of emergency should be declared in nigeria instead.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2011
Is Nigeria now a communist country? or a kind of dictatorship?  I thought in a free market economy you can buy whatever you want with your own money as long as it is legal.

How about them making laws to improve education in Nigeria!
Are they going to ban overseas medical travel as well?

A serious case of misplaced priorities.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by NoQualms1(f): 4:42pm On Aug 07, 2011
Story, story!!!
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by monkeyleg: 4:45pm On Aug 07, 2011
If implemeneted well and properly enforced, could end up being a good thing. Nigeria's education system is Trash becuase those who should fix it have no vested interested. Let thise thieving governors kids join the long line of under performing failing NECO students.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by EuroMeko(m): 5:13pm On Aug 07, 2011
Idiots, the entire lot of them is half cocked.

How about passing a bill on fixing Nepa, Water, roads, etc
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
That law would be totally unfair and unconstitutional.

What about the wards of those politicians who worked hard to get international education? You think na everybody use him papa's money and status to get to where they are?

Let me guess, blind and ediotic Nigerians will see this as a "fair" and "just" law.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 5:33pm On Aug 07, 2011
@Bill

Essential!

ekt_bear:

How is this even constitutional? So if your son gains admission to Harvard, he shouldn't go? grin

Very silly proposal

If your ward gains admission to Harvard then you obtain the Minister's waiver based on development of exceptional talent or he got a scholarship or a course that is not offered in the country.

Robbing the nation and using the loot to make your own's life better outside the shyt-hole you create should be frustrated and restricted with all the might of the government.

If you don't like it, go and work in the private sector.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 5:35pm On Aug 07, 2011
oyb:

naija hospitals only

public schools only

Thank you!

Governors go abroad to check a sneeze (at public expense) whilst they have looted their state's health budget.
Re: Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway by Sagamite(m): 5:43pm On Aug 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

jmaine:

There is something similar to this as pertains to restrictions on PHCN execs from using generators in their homes . . . .what happened next . . .wherever this execs are resided,they enjoy an unbridalled availability of power supply . . . . This proposed bill even though shallow in substance and overall impacts can easily be circumvented by those affected . . .No be Naija we dey. . .

Please stop these lazy thinking of "it is not possible".

If there is any leader with a heart to implement it, it is as simple as making rice and peas without the curry goat on top.

If you transfer all your 3,4 or 5 children into the custody of another, you are either mentally unbalanced or being fishy. You get the sack letter. Worse still if the transfer is done around university entering period.

A government can request a record of power distribution by location and if some official is ensuring his area is getting far more than the average area, put him out of work.

In the world of communication devices, people can rat on the arsewipes easily.

What rights? How is saying you should utilise the system you are part of maintaining violating your rights? If you don't like it, you are free to take another job.

You will have to try effing hard to beat a strong system.

Apply it to all levels of senior staff (Level 12 and above).

If people not running the government can go abroad and get better service and you cannot, then you will do all you can to make sure local ones are also good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Northern Senators Opposed Petroleum Industry Bill / INEC Extends Deadline For Collection Of PVC To Sunday February 8 / Breaking:eject Fulani Herdsmen Fom Yoruba Land And Face War.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.