Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 (23871 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / ADCs Of The President Of Nigeria Since 1999. / Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Jarus(m): 6:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
To me, Fashola is the best public officer Nigeria has produced since return to civil rule in 1999

Others that posted (post) decent performance (by our low standard in Nigeria), by my reckoning:

1, Umaru Yar'adua (reversal of VAT, refinery sale, price hike, asset declaration etc)
2, Barth Nnaji (decent effort in power reforms)
3, Sule Lamido (good capital projects efforts, even if a bad politician)
4, Rotimi Ameachi (Decent capital projects efforts in his state)
5, Godswill Akpaebo ( Even if I don't like his politics, I admit he tried for his state. I've been to his state; best raod network of all the about Nigerian states I have visited)
6, Nasir el-Rufai (Not his biggest fan either, but I salute his efforts in FCT)
7, Nuhu Ribadu (You can argue he was selective, but you can't argue his victims were innocent. Plus he returned $15m Ibori bribe)
8, Lamido Sanusi (I commend his work in CBN)
9, Charles Soludo (His attention to ethics may be questionable, but you can't fault his achievement in terms of strenghtening our financial system)
10. Attahiru Bafarawa (I served in Sokoto state,and msut confess he did well for hsi people in terms of capital projects. Good roads everywhere)
11, Rauf Aregbesola (You can fault his politics - can be loud-mouthed, intervening in what doesn't concern him - but you can hardly deny his commitment to the uplift of his people. I was in Osun in August and the whole state looked like one big construction yard, road projects everywhere, despite meagre resources)
12, Ifeuko Omoigui (Decent and silent reform in FIRS; enlarged revenue base for Nigeria)
13, Donald Duke: Decent performance, mature leader

These are the guys I can give pass mark (50%) of all the public officers (elected or appointed) since 1999. There are others I have herad or read about (e.g Kayode Fayemi, Rochas Okorocha, Peter Obi), but I'm not convinced yet.

Strictly my opinion as a watcher of events in the country.

9 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by ayodeji752: 6:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Wot abt d man dat chose Iweala, Soludo and Ribadu for their positions? Yes, i am talking abt Obasanjo

18 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by agbameta: 6:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jarus: To me, Fashola is the best public officer Nigeria has produced since return to civil rule in 1999

Others that posted (post) decent performance (by our low standard in Nigeria), by my reckoning:

1, Umaru Yar'adua (reversal of VAT, refinery sale, price hike, asset declaration etc)
5, Godswill Akpaebo ( Even if I don't like his politics, I admit he tried for his state. I've been to his state; best raod network of all the about Nigerian states I have visited)
7, Nuhu Ribadu (You can argue he was selective, but you can't argue his victims were innocent. Plus he returned $15m Ibori bribe)
9, Charles Soludo (His attention to ethics may be questionable, but you can't fault his achievement in terms of strenghtening our financial system)
10. Attahiru Bafarawa (I served in Sokoto state,and msut confess he did well for hsi people in terms of capital projects. Good roads everywhere)
11, Rauf Aregbesola (You can fault his politics - can be loud-mouthed, intervening in what doesn't concern him - but you can hardly deny his commitment to the uplift of his people. I was in Osun in August and the whole state looked like one big construction yard, road projects everywhere, despite meagre resources)
12, Ifeuko Omoigui (Decent and silent reform in FIRS; enlarged revenue base for Nigeria)

These are the guys I can give pass mark (50%) of all the public officers (elected or appointed) since 1999. There are others I have herad or read about (e.g Kayode Fayemi, Rochas Okorocha, Peter Obi), but I'm not convinced yet.

Though very flawed, I do respect your opinion..
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 6:29pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jarus: To me, Fashola is the best public officer Nigeria has produced since return to civil rule in 1999

Personally, i think this list is very flawed. Apart from Soludo, Akpabio and Omogui, El Rufai and maybe Nnaji(he didn't stay for long), i don't see what others are doing there. Where's Akunyili, Donald Duke, Iweala, Fashola?

4 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by U235weapongrade: 6:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dora Akunyili -
Nafdac Boss - Fought the Drug cartels in her home state of Anambra
Minister of Information -Only member of the FEC to come out openly and say that Yar'Adua was not fit.

65 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by kennybelle: 6:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
What abt GEJ?
Donno know what he‘s achieved so far o, isn‘t that outstanding?

6 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by tawa89(f): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2013
You are an APC man ...so you are forgiven for this highly flawed analysis.
Wtf is Arebesulaa is doing there? LMAO @ yara'dua at no1. I thought you people called him baba go slow.
Akpabio is the best for me , because i went to Akwa ibom in 1999, the place was a village . For him to transform the place from what i saw in 1999 to what is today for a Nigerian politician beggars belief . I'm talking about totally turning around a state full of bushes in 1999 to the most visible state in the country and not just fixing up an already developed state
Fashola is trying...Lagos has always being there........

12 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Sec5(m): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2013
Have u heard of Dr. Sam Egwu(Aka dike ndi Igbo,the golden gov,the first to enforce and implement free and compulsory education in this dispensation,the first NGF chairman and many more.)

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by tawa89(f): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
Personally, i think this list is very flawed. Apart from Soludo, Akpabio and Omogui, El Rufai and maybe Nnaji(he didn't stay for long), i don't see what others are doing there. Where's Akunyili, Donald Duke, Iweala, Fashola?
Iweala an astute financial guru. Donald Duke for Tinapa and the world renowned Calabar carnival. Akunyili for taking a bullet for Nigeria. And someone is talking about Arebesullaaaa? LMAO! Who the Bleep is Arebesullaaa ??

18 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 6:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
tawa89: Iweala an astute financial guru. Donald Duke for Tinapa and the world renowned Calabar carnival. Akunyili for taking a bullet for Nigeria. And someone is talking about Arebesullaaaa? LMAO! Who the Bleep is Arebesullaaa ??
The thing surprise me oo. Aregbesola ke? I didn't even see Fashola on the list.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
I like the use of the phrase "to me" in the intro which connotes subjectivism.

With that in mind I got nothing to add

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by yeyeman92(m): 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
mikeansy: I like the use of the phrase "to me" in the intro which connotes subjectivism.

With that in mind I got nothing to add
Wtf who d hell do u think u are ?? Soyinka abi
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Jarus(m): 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
The thing surprise me oo. Aregbesola ke? I didn't even see Fashola on the list.
Wear you glasses and read the first sentence again. smiley

12 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jarus:
Wear you glasses and raed first sentence. smiley
I'm wondering why you separated him though. It's an insult to others on the list. But it's ok.

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by abatajjvii: 6:56pm On Oct 02, 2013
What of Reuben Abati and Labaran Maku for making noise for their oga at the top

3 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
Where's Oby Ezekwesili, Madam Due Process?

24 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jarus:
Wear you glasses and read the first sentence again. smiley

Exactly! Afam started reading from the middle of the page.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by raytony: 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
You for kukuma write all the past and present public officers since 1999 there now.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Jarus(m): 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm wondering why you separated him though. It's an insult to others on the list. But it's ok.

I separated because the gap is so wide. smiley

Meanwhile, I ignited same argument on facebook, and people are making strong case for Danjuma Goje (ex-Gombe)
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Jarus(m): 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
HNosegbe: Where's Oby Ezekwesili, Madam Due Process?

Not convinced.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by iGeneral: 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2013

13, Donald Duke: Decent performance, mature leader

What's Akpabio's name doing on that list?

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by decode55(m): 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
you're lucky you didn't include Jonathan's name there.. You for hear am this night angry

7 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
Am I the only one who sees Fashola on the list.Why all these comments about Fashola not being on the list? Can somebody please read the first sentence.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Jarus(m): 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2013
i-General:

What's Akpabio's name doing on that list?

he may be a bad, divisive politician, but I give it to him, he did well in his state. I have been there. Uyo has the best raod networks in Nigeria, of all the about 20 states I have visited. Maybe only FCT has better roads.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Mrshroud: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
kennybelle: What abt GEJ?
Donno know what he‘s achieved so far o, isn‘t that outstanding?
chai!!
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
Fashola has done absolutely well ryt from his first administration up to dz present time... Good roads, reformation of Oshodi, reduction of traffic jam in some renown areas in Lag, BRT, to mention bt a few. Kudos to my main man. BRF... Eko o ni baje!

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by arewatech(m): 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
General Almustapha undecided
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by scobaba: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chinedu Nebo...Current Minister of Power, for his role in revamping UNN. though I graduated before he assumed the position of VC, that guy did well in his time.

With him, there's hope in the power sector.

Jarus has already mentioned the main guys...I just had to add this guy......make political scientists for here no vex grin.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Teotihuacan: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
Remarkably flawed, First off, Fashola was separated from the list like he was some superstar and then you have Ogbeni no Akunyili, Ezekwesili, ( since El rufai/Soludo were included) . Well, since the list came via a myopic view and mindset........What can i say?!

6 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
Thrash,No iweala,No Jerry Gana,no chukwuemeka Chikelu,no prof Eyitayo Lambo, nonsense list I must say
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by JMOI: 7:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
You forgot a lot of people

Prof Dora Akunyili (Nafdac)

Prof Chinedu Nebo (UNN and power)

Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (economy)

Dr Oby Ezekwesili (accountability)

Prof Attahiru Jega (fairly credible elections)

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Has Forgotten So Soon By Reno Omokri / FG To Link BVN With National ID Card By 2016 / Ambode Pays His Land Use Charge At GTBank (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.