Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,756 members, 7,844,471 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates (2440 Views)

Tinubu Okays Staggered Start Of Six Varsities Approved By Buhari / Staggered Elections : I Have Been Vindicated - Reno Omokri / INEC Set To Announce Staggered Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by oshozondii: 8:06pm On Sep 03, 2022
World Bank to Osinbajo: Go home, address your staggered exchange rates, over-bloated fuel subsidy

As the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, leads Nigeria’s delegation to the United States of America for another talk show on economic rejuvenation, World Bank Group President, David Malpass, has pointed out that Nigeria’s economic challenges are more of internal than external.

Malpass noted that staggered exchange rates and over bloated fuel subsidy are key areas to be addressed by the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led government.

Professor Yemi Osinbajo met the World Bank Group President as part of efforts to seek the multilateral institution’s support to end petrol subsidy which has become a drain to Nigeria.

The meeting, which took place in Washington, was disclosed in a statement posted on the World Bank’s website.

During the meeting, Malpass emphasised the important need for a decisive move toward exchange rate unification and stabilisation by Nigeria.

“President Malpass emphasised to Vice President Osinbajo that a unified exchange rate will significantly improve the business enabling environment in Nigeria, attract foreign direct investment, and reduce inflation.

“President Malpass and Vice President Osinbajo also discussed the importance of increasing domestic revenues through broadening Nigeria’s tax base and increasing the efficiency of tax administration,” an official statement stated.

The World Bank chief also pointed out that Nigeria, for the first time since its return to democracy and as the only major oil exporter, hasn’t been able to benefit from the windfall opportunity created by higher global oil prices presently, due to its rising petrol subsidy burden.

Meanwhile, the Director-General of the Debt Management Office (DMO), Mrs. Patience Oniha, has confirmed that Nigeria’s total debt profile as at March, 2022, stood at N41.60 trillion.

Oniha said this during her appearance at the ongoing engagement on the 2023 – 2025 Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) and Fiscal Policy Paper held by the House of Representatives Committee on Finance yesterday. She attributed Nigeria’s high debt profile to shortfall in revenues and the deficit in the annual budget as approved by the National Assembly. These, according to her, increased the debt stock of the country.

She revealed that, “as at December 2020, the debt stock of Nigeria and that includes the federal, state governments and the Federal Capital Territory was N32.92 trillion. By December 2021, it was N39.556 trillion. As at March of this year, we published quarterly, it was N41.6 trillion. On the average, the federal government is owing about 85 percent of the total debt.

“We have been running deficit budget for many years and each time you approve a budget with a deficit, by the time we raise money, because when you approve it is giving us a mandate, authority to borrow, it will reflect in the debt stock, so the debt stock will increase. Also note that states are also borrowing. So we add their own. They also have laws governing their borrowings and as debt stock increases so does debt service.

“Until the issues of personnel, overhead and capital expenditure are properly addressed in the budget, borrowing would not stop.”

Speaking further, she said, “a World Bank report showed that in terms of debt-to-GDP ratio, Nigeria is low but for debt service-to-revenue ratio, we are very high. So, if you look at tax-to-GDP ratio of these other countries, they are in multiples of Nigeria.”

According to her, the World Bank survey report of about 197 countries revealed that Nigeria was 195, meaning that the country was only able to beat two countries and that was Yemen and Afghanistan, “and I don’t think we want to be at those places.”

“When the MTEF for 2021 to 2023 was being prepared, it is to say, let’s begin to look at revenues because as debt is growing, debt service is increasing. So, the language we used is for debt to be sustainable in the medium term.

“Sustainable means you can service your debt without difficulty, without it consuming all your revenues because you have very little for other projects. You must look at revenues very closely and I think the discussions you have had with the Customs is one part of it.

“There are many other revenue generating agencies. So, we must increasingly begin to look out our revenue for funding our activities as opposed to deficit.

“We talked about N11 trillion deficit and borrowing for 2023, how much is the revenue there? When we looked at the first tranche that was N10 trillion for full year of subsidy and N9 trillion for subsidy next year and the size of the borrowing was 62 per cent of the budget.

“The responsibilities, I think, are on both sides. Query the various expenditure lines and see what it is we can handle. So, if the deficit is lower, the borrowing will be lower and that’s how to grow on a slower pace,” she added.
https://dailytimesng.com/world-bank-to-osinbajo-go-home-address-your-staggered-exchange-rates-over-bloated-fuel-subsidy/
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by franchasofficia: 8:07pm On Sep 03, 2022
lol

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by loosecanon50(m): 8:08pm On Sep 03, 2022
There's nothing to see here, World Bank told him nothing but the truth.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 8:09pm On Sep 03, 2022
oshozondii:
World Bank to Osinbajo: Go home, address your staggered exchange rates, over-bloated fuel subsidy

https://dailytimesng.com/world-bank-to-osinbajo-go-home-address-your-staggered-exchange-rates-over-bloated-fuel-subsidy/
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by ccffwx: 8:09pm On Sep 03, 2022
Incompetent administration. No seasoned technocrats. Olodo PLC.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2022
cool

World Bank has an agenda and it's not about Nigerians it's western agenda

Before we can remove fuel subsidy, Dangote refinery must be working and Bua refinery must be almost completed, all state must be linked by trains and super highways and state must have BRT and metro systems and subway

How many Nigerians can afford Petrol at the real price of ₦700 per liter ?

If we float Naira can we afford Naira to dollar at over ₦1500

If APC tries such nonsense I will personally vote against them and support anyone with alternative policy..... We are not yet ready for this wonderful policies being suggested

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by kayusely70(m): 8:13pm On Sep 03, 2022
The World Bank chief has spoken reasonably and truthfully well!

9 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by NJV: 8:14pm On Sep 03, 2022
And what will they tell Bubu?
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by SmartPolician: 8:17pm On Sep 03, 2022
Osinbajo and Buhari have no business spending another day in Aso Rock after destroying Nigeria's economy. After all, Buhari says he is tired.

May something like Buhari and Osinbajo never happen to Nigeria again because this country may not be able to survive it the second time. I thought Jonathan was clueless until Buhari happened.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:19pm On Sep 03, 2022
NJV:
And what will they tell Bubu?

Does that one even knows what Is happening at the global stage ??

That man shouldn’t have been President in the first place. It was one big colossal mistake.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by obiekunie01: 8:38pm On Sep 03, 2022
MyVILLAGEpeople:

That man shouldn’t have been President in the first place. It was one big colossal mistake.

and agbadorian urchinusus still want a pro-max of that mistake all bc of 30k stipend!

8 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Fkmodhi: 8:45pm On Sep 03, 2022
The VP is an handicapped
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Racoon(m): 8:55pm On Sep 03, 2022
After helping to bastardized out economy with the spurious loans and borrowing? After asking us to devalue our currency.These Western imperialists mean have mean third countries well.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by RenaissanceGuy: 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2022
I don't understand how a currency could be trading at 70% more than the official rate. Only in Nigeria, I suppose.

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:05pm On Sep 03, 2022
Shame on you

Buhari used your tinubu economic policy and that's why the exchange rate is high and that's why fuel subsidy is bloated

Moh247:
cool

Before we can remove fuel subsidy, Dangote refinery must be working and Bua refinery must be almost completed, all state must be linked by trains and super highways and state must have BRT and metro systems and subway

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by inoki247: 9:05pm On Sep 03, 2022
grin grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy

This world bank go Like Violence oh....
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2022
No, it wasn't a mistake, the first time I might agree, but the second time, No it's not.

You forgot how tinubu brought two bullion vans to buy votes for this mennaquine

MyVILLAGEpeople:

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Shame on you

Buhari used your tinubu economic policy and that's why the exchange rate is high and that's why fuel subsidy is bloated

Thanks for your contribution, you also spoke according to your IQ and level of understanding of the subject
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2022
Meaning Adeosun IQ is low?

Have you ever seen anyone with high IQ supporting tinubu?

Even kayemo said it, you must be stupid to support druggie

Moh247:

Thanks for your contribution, you also spoke according to your IQ and level of understanding of the subject

2 Likes

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Meaning Adeosun IQ is low?

Have you ever seen anyone with high IQ supporting tinubu?

Even kayemo said it, you must be stupid to support druggie

Ok have heard

Thanks and good bye
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by OneCandleAway(f): 9:12pm On Sep 03, 2022
Qtrpst4:
No, it wasn't a mistake, the first time I might agree, but the second time, No it's not.

You forgot how tinubu brought two bullion vans to buy votes for this mennaquine

Tinubu wanted to complain the first time about how Buhari was failing. I think 2016 or so. I read it somewhere. Then they probably shut him up with the promise to support him after buharis tenure
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:17pm On Sep 03, 2022
No, tinubu's complain was that he was sidelined in all buhari's selection, not because buhari was not doing well.
That all buhari had to do was attend his birthday party and that was all

He never for once complained about buhari's failure nor the killings, he would rather all his Yoruba men be killed than say a word

OneCandleAway:

Tinubu wanted to complain the first time about how Buhari was failing. I think 2016 or so. I read it somewhere. Then they probably shut him up with the promise to support him after buharis tenure

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:18pm On Sep 03, 2022
No, come I still have more for you, keno also said something do you want to know?

Moh247:

Ok have heard

Thanks and good bye

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 9:20pm On Sep 03, 2022
Qtrpst4:
No, come I still have more for you, keno also said something do you want to know?

It's like you have a thing for Kemi undecided... Weird

Please don't post another Kemi again
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:21pm On Sep 03, 2022
I don't care about kemi as I don't care about you. She is Yoruba and better than your tinubu

Moh247:

It's like you have a thing for Kemi undecided... Weird

Please don't post another Kemi again
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2022
Qtrpst4:
I don't care about kemi as I don't care about you. She is Yoruba and better than your tinubu

Ok so what do you care about so you can gedefvck outta here as I want to debate fiscal and monetary policy only

1 Like

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Qtrpst4: 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2022
Fiscal and monetary policy of tinubu that buhari implemented?

No you should debate agbado and cassava
And how to recruit 50 million youths into the army

Before I forget, how to kidnap people for Boko haram

Moh247:

Ok so what do you care about so you can gedefvck outta here as I want to debate fiscal and monetary policy only
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 03, 2022
Is it not world bank that told the government to devalue the naira?I don't get.
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Tianamen1: 9:58pm On Sep 03, 2022
Moh247,
Between 2010 and 2014, the price of a barrel of crude oil was over $100 per barrel as it has been this year, yet the price of petrol without subsidies was about N140 per liter.

Why should the price of petrol be above N300 now?

Answer: Inflation.
If inflation is the issue, then why isn’t the government fighting inflation as opposed to manipulating exchange rates and borrowing beyond its limits.

The solution to Nigeria’s economic problem is INCREASED TAXATION. this should be common knowledge to all Nigerians.

Nigeria is peculiar in that it is amongst the most unequal countries on earth, so taxing the common man will be as fruitful as trying to squeeze water out of a dry clothe.

Taxes need to be focused on the rich as the rich have a higher disposable income and spend a larger proportion of their wealth on imported consumables.

Any reduction is spending will lead to a contraction in GDP, So tax revenues need to be spend on investments (Government’s perspective) such as quality public basic education which will provide the government with more productive TAXABLE citizens in the near future.

This is all it takes. If the government were to raise taxes on the rich, the naira will start to stabilize as fewer people will be able to buy imported things. This will also push down the price to import petrol and thus enabling the government to remove subsidies. The key is Taxation.

Finally,
Local refineries are not going to have much of an effect on the price of petrol just as dangote producing cement locally has not made the price of cement stable in Nigeria. The issue is inflation caused by rampant demand for foreign goods and the solution is taxations
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by MasterJayJay: 10:01pm On Sep 03, 2022
Moh247:
cool

If APC tries such nonsense I will personally vote against them and support anyone with alternative policy..... We are not yet ready for this wonderful policies being suggested

Someone that is planning to vote for APC at the current exchange rate despite APC saying that 216 naira to a dollar is not okay can still vote for APC at 1,500 naira to a dollar. Suffer no dey tire them.

World bank has agende but na una go still go to other world to borrow money

Nigerians are already paying the real price for diesel and Kerosene.

Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by Moh247: 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2022
Tianamen1:
Moh247,
Between 2010 and 2014, the price of a barrel of crude oil was over $100 per barrel as it has been this year, yet the price of petrol without subsidies was about N140 per liter.

Why should the price of petrol be above N300 now?

Answer: Inflation.
If inflation is the issue, then why isn’t the government fighting inflation as opposed to manipulating exchange rates and borrowing beyond its limits.

The solution to Nigeria’s economic problem is INCREASED TAXATION. this should be common knowledge to all Nigerians.

Nigeria is peculiar in that it is amongst the most unequal countries on earth, so taxing the common man will be as fruitful as trying to squeeze water out of a dry clothe.

Taxes need to be focused on the rich as the rich have a higher disposable income and spend a larger proportion of their wealth on imported consumables.

Any reduction is spending will lead to a contraction in GDP, So tax revenues need to be spend on investments (Government’s perspective) such as quality public basic education which will provide the government with more productive TAXABLE citizens in the near future.

This is all it takes. If the government were to raise taxes on the rich, the naira will start to stabilize as fewer people will be able to buy imported things. This will also push down the price to import petrol and thus enabling the government to remove subsidies. The key is Taxation.

I think widening the tax bracket and making tax laws that would make more people pay Federal laws rather increasing tax rate on those complying might also work out, in this era of digitisation we are not doing enough to get rural dwellers and many in informal sector to pay some direct taxes

But I also think a great chunk of our Petrol dollars goes back to subsidy and if Dangote refined comes online we can work out Oil swap deal that would favour of outright payment.. if he gets about 400 BPD free of charge he can refine petrol and diesel and perhaps keep the rest crude derivatives

That alone should give us enough forex to drive down the rate of devaluation of Naira and add some funds to our foreign reserves
Re: World Bank To Osinbajo: Go Home, Address Your Staggered Exchange Rates by PresidObi: 10:11pm On Sep 03, 2022
Savagery grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi's BREKETE Family Interview Hit 3 Million Views Within 2 Hours / Biden Congratulates Nigeria's President-elect / Lagos Generates More Revenue Than All Other Regions- Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.