Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele (2474 Views)

American People Are Pretty Sensible - Obama / The Igbo People Are Cursed! / Are Young People Interested In Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 9:34pm On Aug 09, 2011

Burnt-out cars on the street after Tottenham riots. Photograph: Rex Features

Tottenham's young people are rioting as they see no future

Seeing Tottenham after the riots was shocking but not surprising, says Lara Oyedele. With cuts now biting, young people have no where left to go -Oyedele

I have never seen a burnt-out car before, in real life, in front of my eyes. I was walking through Tottenham on Monday morning surveying the area, when I turned the corner and saw the charred wreckage.

It was a shocking sight. Not again, I thought. We were just getting over Broadwater Farm, people were beginning to forget, move on. But now our reputation as the rioting centre of London has been secured.

I have lived in Tottenham since 1998 and have plenty of friends and business contacts in the neighbourhood. The saddest thing is that a lot of the services destroyed were provided by locals doing their bit for the people in the area. I felt ashamed and embarrassed – but not surprised.

The shooting of Mark Duggan was an excuse, an opportunity, the lighting of the match: the bonfire was ready and waiting. It was going to happen. I've been saying so since the new government announced the cuts and the job losses began to bite.

Our society is breeding a whole generation of young people who do not expect to achieve anything productive in their lives. Graduate students are applying for jobs that, previously, would have gone to somebody with A-levels. Those with A-levels are applying for the jobs for people with no qualifications. So jobseekers with no qualifications are stuck.

Lara Oyedele, chief executive of Odu-Dua Housing Association
At the housing association I lead, we provided places for the Future Jobs Fund (FJF), a training scheme run by the Department for Work and Pensions for young people between the ages of 18 and 24. Consequently, during the interview process, I spoke to a lot of young people from the community.

There's a generation out there, hopeless, devoid of aspiration, unconvinced they will achieve anything. The 100 or so young people I have seen through the FJF are just the tip of the iceberg.

Graduates are wondering why they bothered with university; the ones about to finish school and are thinking of going – particularly those with parents who have been made redundant, themselves with degrees and professional training – can't see the point of investing over £30k on further education.

The last vacancy we had paid £18k and we had nearly 200 applicants. Over two-thirds were people with first-class degrees. The shortlist was occupied by five very well-qualified, intelligent graduates. That job did not need a graduate. But I gave it to a graduate because, when faced with a choice between a graduate and non-graduate, I made a decision that is best for my organisation.

Friends of mine have children in their late teens, approaching early adulthood. All are educated and are still living at home with mum and dad. They don't want to be living at home, but they can't get a decent job earning a wage that would enable them to pay rent in London.

Even around them, there's nothing to do. Haringey council, Tottenham's local authority, is shutting down almost all of the area's youth centres. I was driving through Wood Green last night and I saw about 20 young people, in hoods, dressed in black, sitting on a wall near a dental surgery, chilling and hanging out. That's what kids do.

No parent wants a large group of teenagers in their living room and no kid wants to stay indoors with their parents. They want to be out, doing stuff. That's what youth centres are for. But if the local authority is cutting provision, where are they going to go?

The looting doesn't surprise me: it's entertainment, something to keep young people busy. It's not right, but those are the facts. Simply, if they had to go to work this morning they wouldn't have been rioting last night. They're disaffected, unhappy and upset, and they are looking at the likes of me, saying: you need to give me something, I need a job, I need you to help me.

Local communities can only do so much. We can't solve this problem alone. But as long as the situation stays the same, we're going to have more riots on the streets because there are too many angry young people thinking they have no future.

• Lara Oyedele chairs the BMENational group of chief executives and managing directors of black and minority ethnic housing associations and is chief executive of Odu-Dua housing association, north London

[img]http://bmenational.files./2011/02/executive-board-lara-oyedele.jpg[/img]

Na wa o! And I dey complain for Lagos?  shocked
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by buzugee(m): 9:49pm On Aug 09, 2011
great write up. but dont you think all these cuts are necessary to save britain ? do you want britain to be another america oweing tens of trillions of dollars ? at least the tory is taking active steps to reduce the deficit. this is ggood in the long run. people just have to endure the pinch for now. people are acting like a bunch of kids throwing temper tantrums. you have to look at the bigger picture
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 9:49pm On Aug 09, 2011
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 9:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
@Buzugee
Bros, I don't know, but if you are a fiscally conservative ideologue living in extreme capitalistic luxury while telling the poor -your poor customers and workers- to fuxc off, you better be prepared for revolt one day.

Also if you are an unnecessarily Liberal ideologue, allowing people, especially young people, to run amok with no sense of responsibility and control. Then you are inviting chaos and anarchy too.

Both sides can share the blame.

I guess it's up to politicians to find a solution, that's what they get paid for. Innit?
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by obowunmi(m): 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2011
Poverty is in London ---- British PM should not be going to Africa --- he should be dealing with the bloody crisis in his own country. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by buzugee(m): 10:28pm On Aug 09, 2011
okada_man:

@Buzugee
Bros, I don't know, but if you are a fiscally conservative ideologue living in extreme capitalistic luxury while telling the poor -your poor customers and workers- to fuxc off, you better be prepared for revolt one day.

Also if you are an unnecessarily Liberal ideologue, allowing people, especially young people, to run amok with no sense of responsibility and control. Then you are inviting chaos and anarchy too.

Both sides can share the blame.

I guess it's up to politicians to find a solution, that's what they get paid for. Innit?
come on man. these people wouldnt know what 'poor' is if it bit them in the butt. no legal citizen is poor in britain. you may not have all the luxuries you feel you deserve but you will not starve. these so called poor people, did you see them in the pictures ? did you see how trendy their clothes were ? did you see how healthy they looked ? those are people just taking liberties. they have an 'entitlement' problem.
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^
Well it's up to them, I nor get business for London.

Abi una dey use Okada for dia? grin
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by buzugee(m): 10:41pm On Aug 09, 2011
okada_man:

^^
Well it's up to them, I nor get business for London.

Abi una dey use Okada for dia? grin
okada ? not yet but at the rate things are ggoing there, they may need your services real soon grin grin
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2011
^
If they can guarantee our safety, I'll send my boys. I nor trust London police.  undecided

All these white police men I see on TV look weak and overwhelmed, dem no look tough and dangerous like my popo for Lagos.  grin

Dem nor even get common koboko embarassed
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by buzugee(m): 10:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
okada_man:

^
If they can guarantee our safety, I'll send my boys. I nor trust London police.  undecided

All these white police men I see on TV look weak and overwhelmed, dem no look tough and dangerous like my popo for Lagos.  grin

Dem nor even get common koboko embarassed
ya popo for lagos wey dey wrestle each other for road because of egunje ? yeah they are tough alright undecided
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by okadaman2: 11:03pm On Aug 09, 2011
^^
Na u sabi, na only rich ogas and armed robbers my popo dey fear grin

Dem nor dey fear rioters, you don hear of Kill-and-go? embarassed
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Hertsnite: 1:33am On Aug 10, 2011
African immigrants have brought their crime to my country
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Nija4Life(m): 10:18am On Aug 10, 2011
okada_man:

Burnt-out cars on the street after Tottenham riots. Photograph: Rex Features

Our society is breeding a whole generation of young people who do not expect to achieve anything productive in their lives. Graduate students are applying for jobs that, previously, would have gone to somebody with A-levels. Those with A-levels are applying for the jobs for people with no qualifications. So jobseekers with no qualifications are stuck.

There's a generation out there, hopeless, devoid of aspiration, unconvinced they will achieve anything. The 100 or so young people I have seen through the FJF are just the tip of the iceberg.

Friends of mine have children in their late teens, approaching early adulthood. All are educated and are still living at home with mum and dad. They don't want to be living at home, but they can't get a decent job earning a wage that would enable them to pay rent in London.

Even around them, there's nothing to do. Haringey council, Tottenham's local authority, is shutting down almost all of the area's youth centres. I was driving through Wood Green last night and I saw about 20 young people, in hoods, dressed in black, sitting on a wall near a dental surgery, chilling and hanging out. That's what kids do.

No parent wants a large group of teenagers in their living room and no kid wants to stay indoors with their parents. They want to be out, doing stuff. That's what youth centres are for. But if the local authority is cutting provision, where are they going to go?

The looting doesn't surprise me: it's entertainment, something to keep young people busy. It's not right, but those are the facts. Simply, if they had to go to work this morning they wouldn't have been rioting last night. They're disaffected, unhappy and upset, and they are looking at the likes of me, saying: you need to give me something, I need a job, I need you to help me.

Local communities can only do so much. We can't solve this problem alone. But as long as the situation stays the same, we're going to have more riots on the streets because there are too many angry young people thinking they have no future.

• Lara Oyedele chairs the BMENational group of chief executives and managing directors of black and minority ethnic housing associations and is chief executive of Odu-Dua housing association, north London

[img]http://bmenational.files./2011/02/executive-board-lara-oyedele.jpg[/img]

Once, again excuse, excuse, excuses and blame, when are the black community ever going to take some responsibility for their own shortcomings? Why are those young people expecting not to achieve anything? Is it because they can’t be bothered to learn when they go to school or are their parents not supporting them through education? It could be either of both or both of them if you ask me.

If the educated ones aren’t able to get jobs in London, they could consider moving out of London and look for jobs elsewhere or even go abroad. It does appear some don’t want to leave their comfort zone in London. They could think of starting a business or those with African heritage could go to their native country and get a job or engage in a business.

I really don’t get this whole talk all the time that kids don’t have anything to do, really? They are very lucky they live in a country where there are parks near neighbourhoods, why can’t they go out and kick a ball or run off some of their excess energy or better still they can visit the library and read a book! When I was growing up in Nigeria, we had no parks or playing fields but we made the most of what we had. Some kids in this country have too many choices and lack discipline. The govt needs to give teachers and parents more powers to raise children with some discipline and stop giving out houses to people who are not old enough to look after themselves let alone having babies. Parents should be responsible if their daughters get pregnant at a young age, because in my view that is part of the problem. There is a new generation of children as young as 14 having children who they just cannot look after which is breeding a society of children without any sense of discipline or values.

We need to take a cue from Indian parents who are streets ahead of the black community because of their drive and sacrifice to ensure their children get the best of education. It is no coincidence they are doing well in Medicine, Dentistry and Law. We could learn a thing or two from them instead of the constant moans.
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Beaf: 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2011
Nija4Life:

Once, again excuse, excuse, excuses and blame, when are the black community ever going to take some responsibility for their own shortcomings? Why are those young people expecting not to achieve anything? Is it because they can’t be bothered to learn when they go to school or are their parents not supporting them through education? It could be either of both or both of them if you ask me.

If the educated ones aren’t able to get jobs in London, they could consider moving out of London and look for jobs elsewhere or even go abroad. It does appear some don’t want to leave their comfort zone in London. They could think of starting a business or those with African heritage could go to their native country and get a job or engage in a business.

I really don’t get this whole talk all the time that kids don’t have anything to do, really? They are very lucky they live in a country where there are parks near neighbourhoods, why can’t they go out and kick a ball or run off some of their excess energy or better still they can visit the library and read a book! When I was growing up in Nigeria, we had no parks or playing fields but we made the most of what we had. Some kids in this country have too many choices and lack discipline. The govt needs to give teachers and parents more powers to raise children with some discipline and stop giving out houses to people who are not old enough to look after themselves let alone having babies. Parents should be responsible if their daughters get pregnant at a young age, because in my view that is part of the problem. There is a new generation of children as young as 14 having children who they just cannot look after which is breeding a society of children without any sense of discipline or values.

We need to take a cue from Indian parents who are streets ahead of the black community because of their drive and sacrifice to ensure their children get the best of education. It is no coincidence they are doing well in Medicine, Dentistry and Law. We could learn a thing or two from them instead of the constant moans.

I don't know why, but this "black" guy looks rather white to me. No? shocked
Maybe na malaria de worry me sha! Lol!

Che! Na wa for "black" people!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by JeSoul(f): 3:43pm On Aug 10, 2011
Nija4Life:

^ X 10001000th Imagine all the priviledges they already get from living in a soceity where your most basic needs of food, shelter and healthcare are taken care of, you're also waiting for the govt to give you a job as well . . . hiss . . . spoiled bunch of brats. And adults like the writer of the article are only fueling the sense of entitlement, instead of encouraging them to volunteer, do non-profit work around the community while looking for a job or start a business, they're complaining its because the govt didn't give them work to do . . . they should go to developing countries and see ppl making $1 a month and not burning their neighbors business as an excuse.
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by MandingoII(m): 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2011
I see you posters love to compare everything to Africa's Absolute Poverty. undecided Western countries do not live like you. Citizens pay hefty taxes and income taxes for "safety nets" We know the corporations have the wealth. We know the rich is sitting on sh.it and not creating jobs. THIS IS NOT AFRICA, WHERE YOU LOOK AT POVERTY AND KEEP WALKING.

So stop comparing western lifestyles to Africa. You have the rich looters that are stealing your money and NOT developing your country, We have the rich looters that take our tax bailouts And still wont hire while they reaping record profits.

It is a richmans world , stop defending them!
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by JeSoul(f): 4:38pm On Aug 10, 2011
^so the most logical & effective way to lodge your dissatisfaction with the system is to burn down your neighbor's car, loot his store and burn down his home? The rich man is in a lush mansion in MonteCarlo, on a private yacht off southern France, skiing in the Alps, laughing all the way to the banks . . . . and ignorant youths are burning down their own neighborhoods, and destroying the sweat and labor of their co-'sufferers'.

Yup. Definitely makes a ton of sense.
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by MandingoII(m): 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2011
Actually, YES, you destroy and sabotage your country until it do right by YOU. They gangster you taxes, then again. What the f.uc.k you know. You a african, sharing ideas of governmental usefulness is lost on you.

you mofos dont know sh.t but pain and hopelessness and compliant behavor when a western country lets you in.
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Hertsnite: 5:50pm On Aug 10, 2011
here English self defence vigilantes in Enfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6p4itkdLi8

and here are the rioters in Enfield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-td3C55Yc

notice the difference?
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Nija4Life(m): 7:33pm On Aug 10, 2011
MandingoII:

I see you posters love to compare everything to Africa's Absolute Poverty. undecided Western countries do not live like you. Citizens pay hefty taxes and income taxes for "safety nets" We know the corporations have the wealth. We know the rich is sitting on sh.it and not creating jobs. THIS IS NOT AFRICA, WHERE YOU LOOK AT POVERTY AND KEEP WALKING.

So stop comparing western lifestyles to Africa. You have the rich looters that are stealing your money and NOT developing your country, We have the rich looters that take our tax bailouts And still wont hire while they reaping record profits.

It is a richmans world , stop defending them!

Do the people that are causing this mayhem look like tax payers? Some of them have never worked in their lives and may probably never do so otherwise they will understand that burning down houses and looting businesses in your neighbourhood is not a sensible way of showing disaffection. I work very hard in this country and pay my own fair share of taxes and should really be the one complaining not them.

This may not be Africa but you have to put things into perspective. I work in a school here in the UK and on numerous occasions students are taught in Assembly about what happens around the world, the whole point is for them to get a sense of perspective about the world they live in. No one is holding brief for rich men but you have to accept life isn’t always fair and try and work your way out of poverty instead of blaming everyone else bar yourself. The same situation happens in America with the capitalists and in Russia with the oligarchs. It’s the way of the world I’m afraid, it didn’t just start today even in Bible times, you ever heard about the story of tax collectors?
You protest by dialogue and debate not by burning houses and looting. This is a society where there is the rule of law not a land anarchy
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Nija4Life(m): 7:41pm On Aug 10, 2011
JeSoul:

^so the most logical & effective way to lodge your dissatisfaction with the system is to burn down your neighbor's car, loot his store and burn down his home? The rich man is in a lush mansion in MonteCarlo, on a private yacht off southern France, skiing in the Alps, laughing all the way to the banks . . . . and ignorant youths are burning down their own neighborhoods, and destroying the sweat and labor of their co-'sufferers'.

Yup. Definitely makes a ton of sense.

Spot on
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by MandingoII(m): 10:04pm On Aug 10, 2011
Do the people that are causing this mayhem look like tax payers? Some of them have never worked in their lives and may probably never do so otherwise they will understand that burning down houses and looting businesses in your neighbourhood is not a sensible way of showing disaffection. I work very hard in this country and pay my own fair share of taxes and should really be the one complaining not them.

This may not be Africa but you have to put things into perspective. I work in a school here in the UK and on numerous occasions students are taught in Assembly about what happens around the world, the whole point is for them to get a sense of perspective about the world they live in. No one is holding brief for rich men but you have to accept life isn’t always fair and try and work your way out of poverty instead of blaming everyone else bar yourself. The same situation happens in America with the capitalists and in Russia with the oligarchs. It’s the way of the world I’m afraid, it didn’t just start today even in Bible times, you ever heard about the story of tax collectors?
You protest by dialogue and debate not by burning houses and looting. This is a society where there is the rule of law not a land anarchy

BULLSH. I.T!!!!!

Man makes laws. EVERYTHING and I MEAN everything you look at is MAN MADE AND MADE DEVELOPED OR MAN DOMINATED. Except NATURE.

This world is F.U.C, KED UP. So what you are well adjusted to the white man's INSANITY. BIG DEAL!!!! angry

I am too. The point I'm trying to make is that S.H, IT IS FUGGED up and no sense in acting like a coward a.s.z african and hope and pray your way into a new day ,

, FUGG that.

CHANGE MUST BE TOOK!!!!

you see it happening in Egypt.

Egyptians aint got .s, hit to destroy.

Western Countries are CAPITALIST, They only understand MONEY and the destruction of their RESOURCES.

again, what the F, UC.K YOU AFRICAN KNOW!!!!

some of you mofos are grateful to be out of africa, but here is the KICKER,

[size=16pt]In Europe you will NEVER, EVER be accepted as european. [/size]

You are black and therefore a permanent OUTSIDER in Europe.

Same here in amerikka but WE, THE.FORCED IMMiGRATED AFRICANS built and created THIS racist/greedy imperialistic country
Re: London's Young People Are Rioting Because They See No Future - Lara Oyedele by Nija4Life(m): 10:48pm On Aug 10, 2011
MandingoII:

BULLSH. I.T!!!!!

Man makes laws. EVERYTHING and I MEAN everything you look at is MAN MADE AND MADE DEVELOPED OR MAN DOMINATED. Except NATURE.

This world is F.U.C, KED UP. So what you are well adjusted to the white man's INSANITY. BIG DEAL!!!! angry

I am too. The point I'm trying to make is that S.H, IT IS FUGGED up and no sense in acting like a coward a.s.z african and hope and pray your way into a new day ,

, FUGG that.

CHANGE MUST BE TOOK!!!!

you see it happening in Egypt.

Egyptians aint got .s, hit to destroy.

Western Countries are CAPITALIST, They only understand MONEY and the destruction of their RESOURCES.

again, what the F, UC.K YOU AFRICAN KNOW!!!!

some of you mofos are grateful to be out of africa, but here is the KICKER,

[size=16pt]In Europe you will NEVER, EVER be accepted as european. [/size]

You are black and therefore a permanent OUTSIDER in Europe.

Same here in amerikka but WE, THE.FORCED IMMiGRATED AFRICANS built and created THIS racist/greedy imperialistic country

No point trying to hold a sensible debate with you if all you can do is swear and use abusive language., good bye

(1) (Reply)

The 20-lane Highway... / Missing Argentine Sub With 44 Crew Found 2,600ft Under Ocean A Year After(Pics) / Trump Suggest Injection Of Disinfectant And Heating Up Patient As Cure For Covid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.