Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,137 members, 7,957,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:54 AM

Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? (11054 Views)

Sad Photos of slavery that would bring you to tears / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2011
A.D.M.:

SAFO, what do you mean black Americans can't identify with their culture? Newsflash: All groups have a culture.  The majority of music that exist today were created by black/Afro-Americans from house music in Chicago to jazz music in New Orleans to hip-hop music in New York City. Those music genres, along with others, set the stage for the global pop culture the exists now.

Wrong choice of words on my part. Mainly I mean relate to their African heritage.

kumamoto:

@ SAFO, can you speak Yoruba?

Not fluently but I can speak a little bit and I can understand what people are saying.

Now pidgin English , I'm a master of that wink
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 11, 2011
lepasharon:

Why do nigerians despise black americans??!! shocked shocked  If anything,

, They are the ones that hate Africans!!!

They call us primitive,apes,monkeys!.Most of those americans are sooooooo ignorant about africa its annoying,They beleive everyone on africa walks around Unclad,chasing elephants for breakfast,sleep in manure etcThey watch  TV and see all these stereotypes about africa and they feel that is how we all are,they even go far as to say they are tooscared to go africa themselves because we may eat them,imagine.So that why their is animosity between the africans and black americans

True. My dads side of the family was(and still is angry somewhat) like that towards my mom.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ADM1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 11, 2011
I apologize for misunderstanding your comment, SAFO.

Lepasharon, this has been discussed a billion times, so I'll make this short. There are many Afro-Americans and Africans that are very ignorant about each other. They mostly get their views from the media or personal experiences that were negative. My first comment was a sarcastic jab. People who think that way on both sides need to, in my opinion, have honest conversations about the way some ignorant a-holes think. But both sides have their own problems to deal with. I hope this is the last time I see a thread like this.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 5:58pm On Aug 11, 2011
lepasharon:

Why do nigerians despise black americans??!!  shocked shocked  If anything,

, They are the ones that hate Africans!!!

They call us primitive,apes,monkeys!.Most of those americans are sooooooo ignorant about africa its annoying,They beleive everyone on africa walks around Unclad,chasing elephants for breakfast,sleep in manure etcThey watch  TV and see all these stereotypes about africa and they feel that is how we all are,they even go far as to say they are tooscared to go africa themselves because we may eat them,imagine.So that why their is animosity between the africans and black americans

The ignorance I agree with but I've seen that point of view from other ethnicities as well as black Americans. But like you say, they're just stereotypes perpetuated by ignorance.

I'm sure most educated black Americans are well aware that Africa has a vast number of vibing, metropolis cities just like any other continent.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kony1(m): 9:59am On Aug 12, 2011
[b]"Generally (doesnt mean all) lazy, unmotivated to move out of the ghetto and give their kids a future, forever blaming slavery for why they cant brush their teeth, overly dependent on the government, violence-prone, criminally minded, irresponsible rearing of children with no family structure or hope for the future, mediocrity reigns supreme among them . . . "[/b

Another delusional african. Black america is this and that, yet black americans are the most successful and influential out of the entire diaspora. It no secret africans hate hard on BA's. o well get in line

1 Like

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by EEngineer1(m): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2011
we africans have the culture, the accent, the language
black americans are diluted africans
thats why
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kony1(m): 8:34am On Aug 14, 2011
E-Engineer:

thats why

Black americans have culture aswell. And we dont need your languages. We are not diluted africans we're just americans that are black

1 Like

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by DaRapture: 3:43pm On Aug 14, 2011
All of you Africans on here, and all the rest holding a chip, can suck a di.ck.  cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by DaRapture: 3:48pm On Aug 14, 2011
H-star89, which one of your parents is AA?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Denise216(f): 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2011
thats why

Yes we are diluted Africans but AFRICANS none the less. Something Africa can't even deny. Language, culture, and accents can be adapted just like your tribe practices a bastard form of the original culture before it was segmented. With the exception of East and North Africa there is no culture in Africa that can be called original. This isn't to offend you personally but I don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to "culture", especially when it doesn't benefit humanity. Asian, European, Latin, and American cultures have contributed to health, the sciences, social equality, and religion. African cultures outside if the northern and eastern regions, not so much. I'll take a cure for cancer over a tribal dish any day.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 14, 2011
DaRapture:

H-star89, which one of your parents is AA?

My dad is smiley
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by DaRapture: 6:55pm On Aug 15, 2011
H-Star89:

My dad is smiley

Humm, so you're just like my kids. I'm and AA guy, and my wife is Igbo; we have 1 girl and 1 boy. I also know of another girl, not personally though, who's father is AA and mother is Igbo, and my wife's sister is married to an AA guy, and they they also have a little girl with another on the way. This seem to becoming a much more common partnership of lately.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ADM1(m): 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2011
Kony, there is no such thing as "black" people or "white" people or "brown" people or any other dumb color coded nonsense. Color doesn't equal race, especially since race is not real. Oh, by the way, America is a continent, not a country. Everybody in the western hemisphere is American technically. And whether you like it or not, you're African. Why? Look at the comment made by Denise216. By the way, Denise, why should a culture benefit humanity? How are cultures in West and Southern Africa not original? And the reason there's no cure for cancer is because the insurance companies look at healthcare as a business.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 15, 2011
DaRapture:

Humm, so you're just like my kids. I'm and AA guy, and my wife is Igbo; we have 1 girl and 1 boy. I also know of another girl, not personally though, who's father is AA and mother is Igbo, and my wife's sister is married to an AA guy, and they they also have a little girl with another on the way. This seem to becoming a much more common partnership of lately.

Where do you stay?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kony1(m): 1:55am On Aug 16, 2011
A.D.M.:

Kony, there is no such thing as "black" people or "white" people or "brown" people or any other dumb color coded nonsense. Color doesn't equal race, especially since race is not real. Oh, by the way, America is a continent, not a country. Everybody in the western hemisphere is American technically. And whether you like it or not, you're African. Why? Look at the comment made by Denise216. By the way, Denise, why should a culture benefit humanity? How are cultures in West and Southern Africa not original? And the reason there's no cure for cancer is because the insurance companies look at healthcare as a business.

In modern times the term black was a word black americans embraced to describe ourselves. Its a word used to describe blacks in america not the entire diaspora. America is so influential that the term black became imposed on anyone that is darkskinned and of some type of african descent ie-caribbeans and africans

And north america is a continent, south america is a continent. But we all know america is used to describe the 50 states. In which we are from. Im from new york city and im an american not an african
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by DaRapture: 3:25am On Aug 16, 2011
H-Star89:

Where do you stay?

VA.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:33am On Aug 16, 2011
DaRapture:

VA.

I'm in houston. It's not much "mixing" between nigerians and AAs.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 16, 2011
The dressing of most doesn't help matters. But that's their culture and we have to [i]respect [/i]it, lol.
I wonder how the women find it attractive, oh well. undecided
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:00am On Aug 16, 2011
stillwater:

The dressing of most doesn't help matters. But that's their culture and we have to [i]respect [/i]it, lol.

Find what attractive?
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:02am On Aug 16, 2011
stillwater:

If you mean saggy pants is part of AA culture then you're wrong and we dont have to respect it either
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 16, 2011
davidylan:

If you mean saggy pants is part of AA culture then you're wrong and we dont have to respect it either

It was tongue in cheek that's why the respect was italicized because when people make argument for culture they tell you to respect it. cheesy
Besides I was talking about the overall get-up some of them wear not only the sagging pants.

H-Star89:

Find what attractive?

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:56am On Aug 16, 2011
lol, my fiance(hopefully grin) just wears the jordan shoes.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kony1(m): 5:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
lets not act like african youths dont imitate that style in the continent and in america
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by ADM1(m): 10:19pm On Aug 17, 2011
k.o.n.y:

In modern times the term black was a word black americans embraced to describe ourselves. Its a word used to describe blacks in america not the entire diaspora. America is so influential that the term black became imposed on anyone that is darkskinned and of some type of african descent ie-caribbeans and africans

And north america is a continent, south america is a continent. But we all know america is used to describe the 50 states. In which we are from. Im from new york city and im an american not an african

1. It still doesn't change the fact there is really no such thing as "black people" or "white people." By the way, "black" was not first used in the U.S.

2. America is a continent, not a country, my geographically-challenged friend. North, south, and central are geographic locators. Together, they make up America, and calling the United States "America" is incorrect. These are facts, not bullcrap beliefs from you or some other $tupid nationalist. Keep up that bullcrap line from your second paragraph.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Denise216(f): 12:56am On Aug 19, 2011
Why? Look at the comment made by Denise216. By the way, Denise, why should a culture benefit humanity? How are cultures in West and Southern Africa not original? And the reason there's no cure for cancer is because the insurance companies look at healthcare as a business.

Well we live in a global community now, something even my corner of the diaspora is having a hard time coming to terms with this fact and if yours has nothing to offer, it will be marginalized until it doesn't exist. Some slower than others but it will happen. Its actually happening to another African culture here in the states as we speak. Do a bit of research and you'll see the one I speak of. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the history but up until about 1970 you couldn't tell the difference between African Americans and groups from West Africa, or the Caribbean in just priorities alone. The values and cultural markers were there; marriage/family, education, business, property, food, music, folklore, traditions and dialect. I would say the main difference was in how the women were educated. Most black families would send their daughter to school instead of their sons. It took about a decade and a half for things to get noticeably bad and now worse. Mainly because the people at the time stopped contributing to their society.

The premium for saving a human life isn't yours to dictate.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 8:10pm On Aug 24, 2011
Funny thing, when my Mom met my Father back in the day, her sister was so enamored with the prospect of having a Nigerian BF that she went out and got one, Nigerian men have always been a hot commodity.

Unfortunately she hooked up with the wrong guy.  He beat the living crap out of her and took the 2 oldest kids with him and remarried back in Nigeria. It took almost 15 years and a lot of pain, sweat & tears to reunite them with their mother.
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by DaRapture: 7:10am On Aug 25, 2011
SAFO:

Funny thing, when my Mom met my Father back in the day, her sister was so enamored with the prospect of having a Nigerian BF that she went out and got one, Nigerian men have always been a hot commodity.

Unfortunately she hooked up with the wrong guy.  He beat the living crap out of her and took the 2 oldest kids with him and remarried back in Nigeria. It took almost 15 years and a lot of pain, sweat & tears to reunite them with their mother.

"The right Nigerian guy" is a oxymoron. cheesy
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by oncolor: 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2011

Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by INorg: 7:46pm On Aug 27, 2011
Well, you can say it is ignorance
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by kony1(m): 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2011
SAFO:

In no way shape or form are nigerian men hot commodities. Black american women and men are not checking for africans on any significant scale. The only black americans women going after african men are the unattractive ones that cant get a ba man
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 28, 2011
Re: Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? by SAFO(m): 11:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
Lol, k.o.n.y you're delusional.How did you come up with this hypothesis.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Bia Suọ Olu Inyì :: Come And Speak Your Dialects / The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.