Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? (5616 Views)

Buhari's Outfit For The Ogun 40th Anniversary Celebration Today (Pics) / A Cry For Help to the ogun state government / President Jonathan Disrespected My Office By Taking Over Stadium - Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by ektbear: 3:13am On Aug 11, 2011
In what appears like a u-turn, Ogun State Government yesterday announced the return of two secondary schools in the state to their original owners.

The schools are Adeola Odutola College, Ijebu-Ode and Ebenezer Grammar School, Iberekodo-Abeokuta.

The state Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Mr. John Olusegun Odubela made the disclosure after a meeting with Christian missions and other proprietors of returned schools in the state.

The state government under the administration of Otunba Gbenga Daniel announced the take-over of 33 schools. Odubela, while making the announcement, said the decision of the state government to return the schools was based on the consideration that their proprietors must have invested huge sum of money on them. He also hinted that the second category of schools to be returned to their owners would be within the next two years to enable the state government relocate students who had earlier been admitted into them.

However, the state government announced complete take over of yet-to-be-named nine secondary schools in the state. The schools that fall into the secondary category include the famous Mayflower School, Ikenne, Anglican Girls Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, Catholic Comprehensive High School, Abeokuta, Anglican Grammar School, Ota.

Others include Macjob Grammar School, Abeokuta; Methodist Comprehensive College, Sagamu; Methodist Comprehensive High School, Ago-Iwoye; Anglican High School, Abeokuta; Anglican Grammar School, Ifo; Anglican Grammar School, Ilaro. among several others.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/11/national-11-08-2011-019.html
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by ektbear: 3:14am On Aug 11, 2011
I'm confused. Why is the state government taking over schools?

Are the schools doing poorly on exams, or something?
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by CyberG: 7:06am On Aug 11, 2011
How useless can government get? Why take over the schools? Why take over Mayflower? The Solarins built that school a long, long time ago and why take them over now? Has this clueless government attended to the pressing issues of the state before looking to take over someone's property, sweat and investment without any prior consultation with the owner?
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by ektbear: 8:53am On Aug 11, 2011
CyberG:

How useless can government get? Why take over the schools? Why take over Mayflower? The Solarins built that school a long, long time ago and why take them over now? Has this clueless government attended to the pressing issues of the state before looking to take over someone's property, sweat and investment without any prior consultation with the owner?

I don't understand the point of taking over private schools unless they are performing poorly on exams (in which case, I'd probably just revoke their license.) Seems like madness to me.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by funkybaby(f): 8:55am On Aug 11, 2011
CyberG:

my exact thoughts.

to the best of my knowledge, Mayflower Ikenne is privately owned undecided
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by rolchi(m): 9:26am On Aug 11, 2011
Is this not "Confusion"?

Senator Amosun, sit-up and wise-up!
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by cinzo: 10:10am On Aug 11, 2011
THESE SCHOOLS WERE PREVIOUSLY GOVT OWNED SCHOOLS BUT WERE RETURNED TO THE FOUNDERS DURING GBENGA DANIELS'S REGIME. NOW AMOSUN HAS COME IN AND IS TRYING TO REPOSES THE SCHOOLS.

THAT GUY IS ONE BIG CONFUSED MOFO grin
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Seun(m): 10:26am On Aug 11, 2011
Someone should create a thread about the government taking over private schools like Mayflower. 
It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard since I started Nairaland, and I've heard a lot of moronic things.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by cinzo: 10:46am On Aug 11, 2011
Seun:

Someone should create a thread about the government taking over private schools like Mayflower. 
It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard since I started Nairaland, and I've heard a lot of moronic things.

I THOUGHT HE SAID HIS PREDECESSOR LEFT THE GOVT COFFERS EMPTY SO WHY IS HE LOOKING FOR UNNECESSARY BAGGAGE TO COMPOUND HIS HEADACHE

IF HE TAKES OVER THESE SCHOOLS NOW WON'T HE BE THE ONE TO PAY FOR THE UPKEEP AND THE TEACHERS
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by udbyron1(m): 11:22am On Aug 11, 2011
the reasons are best known to him.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Xtfield(m): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2011
It is not the present Government in Ogun State that took over private schools. Private schools in Nigeria were taken over by Government during the military rule. Some states have since the return to civil rule began to review the takeover and have started returning the schools to their original owners. In Ogun state, the administration of Gbenga Daniel returned some schools but the Nigerian Union of Teachers in that state kicked against it and as\eked the present administration to reverse the decision of the Gbenga Daniel administration. Funny enough, many private schools have been established in the state after the initial takeover and some of them are owned by teachers who are still in government service and so members of the NUT!
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by lincoln123: 11:51am On Aug 11, 2011
I think there is nothing bad if State Gvt takes over the missionary schools, Surely Amosun Gvt will perform better on this, let give him the trial.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by rhamzus(m): 12:05pm On Aug 11, 2011
Taking over the schools is needed, cos of the deplorable state of this once glorified schools.
I happen to b a product of SACHS, now the sch is nothing to write home abt, talk less of AGGS, Abeo-gramms . Private owners r jst eating d money made, payin tutors peanuts and running the school like public schs.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Seun(m): 4:43pm On Aug 11, 2011
As long as people remain dumb, dumb politicians will continue to exploit them. 
It is not ok for the government to steal private schools from their owners.
It is unfathomably idiotic. You can revoke their licenses, but you can't just take the schools.
Do you really expect a Nigerian state government to run schools better than anyone?
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by attitude1: 7:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
This is very unfortunate. I am an Ex-May (as Mayflower School's alumni are usually called) and I have siblings still in the school. Mayflower Senior School (as it is called) was taken over by the millitary govt in the late 70's and ever since, Tai Solarin before his death has always canvassed for government's management of the school and others. His points were that with the government's management of schools, it will create free education for the Nigerian children which a private ownership cannot afford.

So, when the Gbenga Daniel's administration instituted the return of schools to their former owners, there was a huge debate amongst the Old students' association, the Solarin's family and others on the best way forward. It was resolved that with the current scenario (the facilities were in total disrepair, standard and discipline were at the very low, and other ills), the best way forward was to take the schools and ensure fees were moderately priced (As at 2009, the fee (including boarding, tuition, feeding, etc) was N50k per term). So, the government, keeping in line with its gradual handover of 2 streams per year (this means in year 2009, JSS1 & SS1 were handed over to the school's original owners, while government still maintained the other streams, then 2010, JSS2 & SS2 were added, and this year was to be the final handover of the remaining streams (i.e JSS3 & SS3).

All this is to give the readers a graphic picture of the entire process. It is very unfortunate that after the owners have spent substantial amount on renovating, standardizing and upgrading the entire school, the government can just turn around and make this pronouncement.
In my own humble opinion, what I believe the government should do is to concentrate its effort on upgrading the existing public schools and making them truly competitive such that the less privileged can equally have access to quality education. In fact, they should even go ahead and make it truly world class so that parents will choose public schools over the private ones.

Sidetrack: There is an allegation that the former governor (OGD) bought one of the schools. This could be a way of getting back at him, but is it the best?

I sincerely hope someone who has the listening ears of the present governor will convey the message to him. Already, the school (and I can only speak for Mayflower) is beclouded by several doubts of what's going to happen and everybody's morale (parents, teachers and management) is down. This is affecting the academic plan for the year. Also, this sort of things, discourages foreign investment in the Nigerian economy because you never know what the subsequent government will come up with.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by basadenet: 7:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
It seems the Gov. is on revenge/ vendetta mission and i hope it doesn't got his hand burnt badly.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Reference(m): 11:54pm On Aug 11, 2011
rhamzus:

Taking over the schools is needed, cos of the deplorable state of this once glorified schools.
I happen to b a product of SACHS, now the sch is nothing to write home abt, talk less of AGGS, Abeo-gramms . Private owners r jst eating d money made, payin tutors peanuts and running the school like public schs.

This is not right. I thought there was a school's board of some sort responsible for regulating schools. Education standards, salaries, emoluments, staff welfare sanitation, everything can be regulated. This is the extent to which government should be concerned. If they wish to implement free education simply give out scholarships to the disadvantaged and deserving, period. What is with all these re-nationalisation.

When they are supposed to be making government leaner and more sustainable, cutting recurrent expenditure so they can concentrate on infrastructure they are loading themselves with more burdens. It is evident schools are insufficient so the Ogun state government should rather be building more not polishing what exists.

On the other hand if the private sector cannot run ordinary schools it is unfortunate and only lends credence to the thinking that the electorate, the peoples are probably as bad as the government they constantly charge with ineptitude. The future lies with private ownership. We must learn to pay our bills and live according to our means. Enough of the government carrying this six year old child on the back. We must see our future beyond subsidies and allocations and the corrupting tendencies they create. And it is the government that should preach this.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Aug 11, 2011
cinzo:

THESE SCHOOLS WERE PREVIOUSLY GOVT OWNED SCHOOLS BUT WERE RETURNED TO THE FOUNDERS DURING GBENGA DANIELS'S REGIME. NOW AMOSUN HAS COME IN AND IS TRYING TO REPOSES THE SCHOOLS.

THAT GUY IS ONE BIG CONFUSED MOFO grin

What do you mean Mayflower Ikenne previously Government owned??  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

rhamzus:

What shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Our public schools have continued to remain in worse shape for decades, yet you feel government, that has failed, year, after year, in managing our public schools and facilities, is justified in it's attempt to acquire the private schools? How did you get this one to make sense to you? Please explain!
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 12, 2011
Why is the Ogun State government seizing private property? Are we in a communist state? This might be done in a military dictatorship but should never happen in free democratic society. Can they run the schools better than the original owners/proprietors that have a vested interest in safeguarding their investments?

Why not focus on existing poorly run public schools than adding private schools to the government's inept hands? The owners should challenge the expropriation in court.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by ektbear: 3:59am On Aug 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=18pt]Our public schools have continued to remain in worse shape for decades, yet you feel government, that has failed, year, after year, in managing our public schools and facilities, is justified in it's attempt to acquire the private schools? How did you get this one to make sense to you? Please explain![/size]

+1000

Any who support this move must first answer KoboJ's questions.

What the Ogun State government should be looking to do imo is to hand more schools over to the private sector and have some sort of voucher system. Education is one thing I believe that the private sector will do better than the gov't, if incentivized properly.
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by isleman(m): 8:59am On Aug 12, 2011
the governor must still be living in the past. The school owners should take em to court. just acquire someone's property without any negociation
Re: Why Is The Ogun State Government Taking Over Private Schools? by KDULAR: 1:56am On Aug 14, 2011
what about the bells, lawsons,etc. idot.

(1) (Reply)

Henry Okah's Allegations Are Entirely False - Dr. Reuben Abati / Ijaws Are The Smallest Minorities In The South [FACTS ONLY] / Dino Melaye Mocks APC Congresses That Produced 72 State Chairmen Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.