Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners (24800 Views)

New Electricity Tariff: Band ‘A’ Homes May Spend N170,000 On Electricity Monthly / Coastal Road: FG To Charge N3,000 On Average Per Toll Gate, Says Umahi / My Predecessor Spent N2.3bn On Burial In Five Months – Bauchi Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by EcoBrick: 8:49pm On Oct 12, 2022

Anambra state governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, Wednesday, imposed a sum of N100,000 as taxation for display of ceremonial banners like burial and weddings across the State.

The governor also imposed N5,000 as taxation for pasting of posters in any part of the State, adding that whoever fails to remove the advertorials within the stipulated time for their removals would be taxed continuously until they adhered to the rule.

The tax rates were contained in a viral letter addressed to the National President, Anambra State Association of Town Unions (ASATU) and signed by the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Anambra State Signage and Advertisment Agency, Mr Tony Odili Ujubuon͂u.

The letter entitled, regulation of ceremonial adverts, explained that the agency would work in partnership with ASATU to recover the taxes as source of internally generated revenue and to curb menace of ‘non-commercial adverts’ in the state.

It reads, “The tariff below serves as a guide to what is payable; sixes, description, amount and duration of the taxes are: 4 X 6FT N5,000 for 2 weeks; 8 X 10FT N20,000 for 2 weeks; above 10FT square are N100,000 monthly; and N5000 for posters for two weeks.

“Note that directional signs leading to the venue which can come in 1x 2ft size will not be charged. It is also important to bear in mind that after the duration of this period, any such board that is left standing will attract a penalty in the sum of the amount initially paid. This penalty is paid weekly.

“The Agency, in fulfillment of its statutory obligation, is not unmindful of the menace associated with non-commercial adverts that have literally occupied our out-of-home space. These adverts come in the form of obituary, religious, wedding and sundry flex, banners and posters.

“These materials tend to deface the environment and pose a threat to the aesthetics of our communities. In line with Mr. Governor’s avowed aim of building a prosperous, livable and smart city state in Anambra, the Agency sees the need to regulate the use of these materials in manners that are decent and orderly.

“Because this is a phenomenon that is associated with all the communities and villages in Anambra State, we hope to administer this process in partnership with the Town Unions. It is our wish that the Town Union will take up the responsibility of informing the villages and hamlets.

“Others to be informed are kindreds, churches and any such bodies within their towns that from the 1st of November, 2022, the Agency will begin the enforcement and collection of levies on all such posters and flex used for any of such ceremonies. We have written to you because we have always regarded you as progress partners in the development of Anambra State.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2022/10/12/soludo-imposes-n100000-levy-for-pasting-of-burial-posters-banners/%3famp=1

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Edimakan(m): 8:50pm On Oct 12, 2022
Soludo wants to finish them with tax grin grin grin

113 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Sakamaje: 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2022
Omo, it's like Soludo want to use taxation to finish Anambra people.

124 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by owobokiri(m): 8:53pm On Oct 12, 2022
I hope this Tinubu type of "cut throat" tax regime won't lead to some uprisings in Anambra state. It's coming at a very dicey period. Folks are economically desperate as a result of Buharis janja-weed policies. Greater taxation is a burden too heavy to carry this period. Soludo is already battling with the keekee people over this. He should be careful. Certain necessary changes are better phased in skillfully, otherwise the poor will start seeing him as an elitist governor irrespective of his good intentions.

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by tamdun: 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2022
u guys were hyping angel soludo before election,the way things are going,una go swear for soludo laslas, grin

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by RockHard: 8:56pm On Oct 12, 2022
I'm very disappointed in the administrative style so far demonstrated by Soludo. He seems to lack ideas of how to govern his state. Maybe he should ask the likes of El-Rufai how he's able to attract billion dollar investments to his state, in spite of the insecurity and other challenges he met on ground.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by duro4chang(m): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2022
Chicken change

126 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Reinamaria(f): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2022
When they're voted in, they begin to show their true colours.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by GavelSlam: 9:05pm On Oct 12, 2022
Anambra knows how to monetize death.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by OVB123: 9:07pm On Oct 12, 2022
RockHard:
I'm very disappointed in the administrative style so far demonstrated by Soludo. He seems to lack ideas of how to govern his state. Maybe he should ask the likes of El-Rufai how he's able to attract billion dollar investments to his state, in spite of the insecurity and other challenges he met on ground.
The truth of the matter is that without tax, government can not do much. It's pertinent we pay tax. Gov. Soludo is on the right track to success.

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Wisetrue99: 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2022
Sakamaje:
Omo, it's like Soludo want to use taxation to finish Anambra people.
As in... This one no even make sense!

Anything just to bring hardship on the masses

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Wisetrue99: 9:10pm On Oct 12, 2022
OVB123:
The truth of the matter is that without tax, government can not do much. It's pertinent we pay tax. Gov. Soludo is on the right track to success.
Tax is okay but over taxing is baaaaaaaad

The government is simply telling the masses to go to hell!

Kai!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by owobokiri(m): 9:15pm On Oct 12, 2022
RockHard:

Elrufai is being subsidized by Abuja.
Elrufais Kaduna has endless federal government projects going on for the past 8 years.
Elrufai gets almost double of what Soludo gets from federal allocations.
Local governments in Kaduna bring in an additional double to whatever their counterparts in Anambra bring in from federal allocations!
Elrufai is about finishing 8 years in office, Soludo is barely 6 months there.

Stop comparing apples and oranges

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by FreeStuffsNG: 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2022
Beyond the burial tax which I do not understand, I see an attempt by the govt to capture in its revenue and tax system those who use burial ceremonies to show off and oppress others.
check my signature for free stuffs!

128 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by mcmurphy132(m): 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2022
Tinubu why Tinubu why.. Tinubu you want to Pocket Anambra money again

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by rickpat(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2022
lol...by the time Prof Prof finishes with anambra people,they will all relocate

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Maxymilliano(m): 9:56pm On Oct 12, 2022
Soludo doesn't seem prepared for good governance.

12 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by NobleSeed(m): 11:49pm On Oct 12, 2022
FOR HERE? grin

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by jessylaurel(f): 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2022

18 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by ComeToJesus: 11:53pm On Oct 12, 2022

1 Like

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by money121(m): 11:53pm On Oct 12, 2022
Ok
Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by OgaDeyVex: 11:54pm On Oct 12, 2022
Hmmmmm
Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by penultimatee(m): 11:55pm On Oct 12, 2022
I don't understand. Oga Soludo.the bereaved should still come and pay money for the burial banner.What did I know self.Evebody in Anambra is a Billionaire.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Luckysbab: 11:56pm On Oct 12, 2022
I don't get what the complaint is about in this.

Not holding brief for the governor's performance (I am not in Anambra, as to be able to make a fair assessment), but if you have money to throw lavish ceremonies, why not be taxed?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Okoroawusa: 11:57pm On Oct 12, 2022
Soludo....go on

Just as my Onitsha born girlfriend would say in those days, " Onwekwonu?"

119 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Lorechino(m): 11:59pm On Oct 12, 2022
I sell!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by BuzChi(m): 12:01am On Oct 13, 2022
This is the best statement thus far!!

Luckysbab:
I don't get what the complaint is about in this.

Not holding brief foe the governor's performance (I am not in Anambra, as to be able to make a fair assessment), but if you have money to throw lavish ceremonies, why not be taxed?

19 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Henix(m): 12:01am On Oct 13, 2022
The state needs every available revenue generation at this critical moment of Nigeria's economy.

While castigating Soludo's inability to start magic immediately as most people expected, consider the current low Federal allocation, the IPOB induced insecurity in the state, the empty treasury and highly debt profile left by Obiano.

Taxation is necessary for development

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by themanderon: 12:02am On Oct 13, 2022
Soludo is turning out to be a massive massive mistake in Anambra state. A people already beleaguered with economic hardship are still the same people he is coming to tax. I see him ending up in shame as the people will eventually reject and rebel against his government.
The man seems to be bereft of ideas and is just picking up fights with everyone. What a mistake of a governor.
I can understand they need to generate money through tax but it should be done with a human face and not just imposing mindless taxes on a people barely struggling to survive.
This is agbado and cassava man's strategy. He will tax Nigerians to death like he is already doing in Lagos if they erroneously elect him heaven forbids.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Imposes ₦100,000 On Burial Banners by Slynation(m): 12:05am On Oct 13, 2022
Lol, This Soludo seems to be in an imaginary competition of the most useless governor ever

Fvck... he's definitely not getting a second tenure with this foundation

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prince Ozo Okafor Supports Nnamdi Kanu At The ECOWAS Court. Photos / El-Rufai & Shettima Waiting For Buhari To Die To Seek Presidency - Arewa Youths / Governor Zulum Visits Bomb Blast Victims In Borno Hospital (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.