Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,633 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard (3694 Views)

Jonathan Relegates Obasanjo To Local League / Gov Kwankwaso Cautions APC Over Zoning Policy / 2015: Buhari, Gov Kwankwaso’s Supporters Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by OAM4J: 6:53am On Aug 22, 2011
[size=13pt]Gov Kwankwaso floats private army, relegates Hisbah guard[/size]

By Abdulsalam Muhammad

KANO- Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso of Kano State has floated a new security outfit, known in local parlance as Askarawan Kwankwaso (Kwankwaso’s police) to rival the activities of Hisbah Guard in the state.

The private army, believed to be in the range of 7,000 men, made its first public appearance during the May 29th swearing-in of Kwankwaso and had since consolidated its presence in the streets, neighbourhood and government functions.

Vanguard learnt that the ‘private army’ that has Kwankwaso as the commander- in-chief is made up of people suspected to have played a major role in the governor’s comeback bid during the 2011 election.

Members of Askarawan Kwankwaso kitted in white upon green uniform, with a red cap to match, carry out similar functions as the Sharia implementation guards which the governor established in his first tenure for the enforcement of the Sharia legal system in the state.

Vanguard learnt that Kwankwaso’s decision to float new security outfit followed alleged partisanship of the Hisbah Guard on or before the 2011 general election, having withdrawn from the streets after he was announced winner of the gubernatorial election.

It was learnt that Kwankwaso, who constituted the board of directors of the guards a month ago, refused to appoints a commander for the outfit, contrary to set norm and practice.

Investigation showed that barring any last minute change, an executive bill seeking to legalize its activities will be submitted to the House of Assembly as soon as members resume from Ramadan recess.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/gov-kwankwaso-floats-private-army-relegates-hisbah-guard/
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by udbyron1(m): 7:24am On Aug 22, 2011
what for?
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by candylips(m): 8:01am On Aug 22, 2011
protection from boko haram
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by dustydee: 8:11am On Aug 22, 2011
Lack of vision and joblessnes
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Knight1(m): 8:13am On Aug 22, 2011
another terrorist group in the making
when they stop getting money, they start causing trouble and demanding for the islamisation of Nigeria.
and Jonathan is just watching angry angry
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by psalmizt(m): 8:15am On Aug 22, 2011
All these northern govs sha sad sad sad Who is footing the bills? I hope they are not been paid from the govt's coffers, *smh*
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by heynew: 8:17am On Aug 22, 2011
Is he trying to secede from Naija
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 22, 2011
Exactly the same way boko haram was made by former bornu governor !
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by marcus1234: 9:12am On Aug 22, 2011
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by playmode(m): 9:16am On Aug 22, 2011
It is welcome ,anything that will lead to the break up of Nigeria is welcome.I am tired of the SW taking orders from Abuja.A failed nation or rather A failed excreta hole.Look at libya today,its citizens fought for something and they have achieved success.The only thing we know how to do in Nigeria is speak grammar and trying to impress others instead of actually fighting for our freedom.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by nagoma(m): 9:27am On Aug 22, 2011
Is Kwankwaso PDP? No wonder.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by manchy7531: 9:41am On Aug 22, 2011
@playmode It is welcome ,anything that will lead to the break up of Nigeria is welcome.I am tired of the SW taking orders from Abuja.A failed nation or rather A failed excreta hole.Look at libya today,its citizens fought for something and they have achieved success.The only thing we know how to do in Nigeria is speak grammar and trying to impress others instead of actually fighting for our freedom

the present rot is a product of the shortsightedness of non igbo southerners and i expect they should lead the charge, the rabid hatred of the igbo people by fellow southerners has denied the south its most formidable antidote against northern machinations, how can you assure me that if we decide to come out and confront the oppressors, the yoruba and non-igbo south-south will not turn around to align with the north and unleash another killing spree on our people?, this pertinent question must be answered b4 we talk about any revolution which will involve igbos, the north has used a veritable tool of effective propaganda to build deep hatred of ndigbo in the hearts of Nigerians, the success of that propaganda is what has kept Nigeria under their rule and we live in the delusion that they are not smart, the most foolish Nigerians are those who have been compromised by the northern strategy of mental colonization,the same people who believe they are clever and diplomatic, diplomatic cowards.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Ess: 9:49am On Aug 22, 2011
Bloody LIE, abi na different Kano wey I dey? The guys in red cap were just supporters during his swearing-in!
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Beaf1: 10:26am On Aug 22, 2011
Bloody Lie!

I have been in kano for the past 3 months and how come i never notice this socalled army?
The red cap was just worn that day to signify their support for the dude thats all.

Cheap publicity!
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by executinal(m): 11:00am On Aug 22, 2011
Jobless Governor angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 22, 2011
Ess:

Bloody LIE, abi na different Kano wey I dey? The guys in red cap were just supporters during his swearing-in!
You mean the ones that snatched ballot boxes for him during election ?
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by emmatok(m): 11:49am On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf!:

Bloody Lie!

I have been in kano for the past 3 months and how come i never notice this socalled army?
The red cap was just worn that day to signify their support for the dude thats all.

Cheap publicity!

That is the North for you.

The Hisbah Guard has been in operation since OBJ era when they declared sharia.

I remember some Northern Senators during Yerima underage marriage saga saying their religion is superior to the Nigerian constitution.

They always see Islamic laws as Superior.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by hbrednic: 11:55am On Aug 22, 2011
false news
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by T8ksy(m): 11:55am On Aug 22, 2011
Oh well, I hope the news is true.

'cause then there will be nothing stopping other governors including southern ones to establish their own state police.

This is a double-edge sword though as i can see these "state police" becoming partisan in future elections.

However, if they (state police) can be accommodated for in our constitution and a check and balance strategy is in place against

their tendency to be partisan then, it can only lead to more "federalism" in the country.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by francisj(m): 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Exactly the same way boko haram was made by former bornu governor !
true talk !!!!
The birth of another "boko Haram" who will be causing havoc if " their own no win election in 2015"
9ja will soon disintegrate by the next election as predicted by Gadhafi
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by oderemo(m): 12:24pm On Aug 22, 2011

and where is your almighty Gadhafi 2day. {22.08.2011.} ?
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by T8ksy(m): 12:27pm On Aug 22, 2011

Insha Allah!!!
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 22, 2011
The emergence of warlordism in Nigeria?
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by ocelot2006(m): 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2011
Stories like these are reasons I will still advocate for a SINGLE Federal Police Force like what we have now, not multple state police that will end up being used as the private armies of their respective governors. All we need to do is revamp the current force. Weed out the bad eggs, modify the current training doctrine, re-equip them with the necessary tools and technology that will aid them in dispersing their duties, and we will be fine.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by Sarahluv(f): 2:39pm On Aug 22, 2011
manchy7531:

@playmode It is welcome ,anything that will lead to the break up of Nigeria is welcome.I am tired of the SW taking orders from Abuja.A failed nation or rather A failed excreta hole.Look at libya today,its citizens fought for something and they have achieved success.The only thing we know how to do in Nigeria is speak grammar and trying to impress others instead of actually fighting for our freedom

the present rot is a product of the shortsightedness of non igbo southerners and i expect they should lead the charge, the rabid hatred of the igbo people by fellow southerners has denied the south its most formidable antidote against northern machinations, how can you assure me that if we decide to come out and confront the oppressors, the yoruba and non-igbo south-south will not turn around to align with the north and unleash another killing spree on our people?, this pertinent question must be answered b4 we talk about any revolution which will involve igbos, the north has used a veritable tool of effective propaganda to build deep hatred of ndigbo in the hearts of Nigerians, the success of that propaganda is what has kept Nigeria under their rule and we live in the delusion that they are not smart, the most foolish Nigerians are those who have been compromised by the northern strategy of mental colonization,the same people who believe they are clever and diplomatic, diplomatic cowards.

I see. Your people were just "sitting peacefully" in their houses, and all of a sudden, non-igbo southerners joined forces with the North to unleash a killing spree on u, right? The South-south down to Lagos were the oppressors you were standing up to, I suppose.

With regards to the alleged private army of Kano State, I am not sure about that; besides, most States have some form of para-military organizations that perform specific duties. I think we will get a clearer picture as time goes on. For now, I haven't seen this private army in operation whenever I go to Kano.
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2011
This army would come in handy when he is seeking re-election
Re: Gov Kwankwaso Floats Private Army, Relegates Hisbah Guard by kizito96(m): 6:39pm On Aug 22, 2011
When he is no more in power, these guys will then be a menace to the society.

(1) (Reply)

Gang Rape Video Goes Viral, Shocking -south Africa / Any Hint Of A Coup Will Disintegrate Nigeria / The 10 Most Educated Countries In The World. Guess No.3, 2 & 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.