Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,867 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check (45742 Views)

Peter Obi Invited Wike To Commission Projects while He Was Governor / Some Projects Done By Peter Obi When He Was Governor Of Anambra State / The Letter Peter Obi Wrote To A Senior Prefect While He Was Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Mynd44: 5:16am On Nov 16, 2022
Former Central Bank Of Nigeria and Present Governor of Anambra State, Professor Charles Soludo in an article titled "History beckons and I will not be silent " wrote about the poverty level of Anambra state from 2006 to 2010 while the present Presidential Candidate of the Labor Party, Peter Obi was in his first term as governor of Anambra state.

In an article which many described as either very needless as they claimed Charles Soludo is merely bitter and angry, others praised it as they said it brought into public light numerous false misconceptions by Peter Obi's supporters.

Either way, his comment on the statistics of the poverty level in Anambra, got tongues wagging and fingers typing (mine included) and a lot of people have said the former CBN governor simply lied (but did he?)

Claim: Charles Soludo wrote that "…poverty in Anambra actually grew (from less than 25% in 2005) to about 53% under Peter Obi in 2010/2011 but fell under Willie Obiano to 14.78% in 2020. Yes, poverty more than doubled under Peter Obi and more than 50% of Ndi Anambra were in poverty under him. Go and verify"

This isn't all as he had wrote something similar in 2015 in an article titled "Buhari vs Jonathan: Beyond the Election" where he wrote that "According to the National Bureau of Statistics, poverty rose under his watch in Anambra from 20% in 2004 (lowest in Nigeria then) to 68% in 2010 (a 238% deterioration!)."

These two quotes seem similar but can also be be different as the numbers dont match but if we look closely, in the 2022 letter, he mentioned 2010/2011 which was mostly measured in 2011 and in the 2015 letter, he was specific about the year 2010.

Verification: According to a press briefing By then Statistician General of the federation and lead of the National Bureau of Statistics, Yemi Kale in a press briefing titled "Press Briefing By The Statistician-General Of The Federation/Chief Executive
Officer, National Bureau Of Statictics Dr. Yemi Kale" delivered in February 2012.

Now since the NBS does not release poverty levels per years, we can only judge with the 2010 report

It is seen that the poverty level of Anambra state as at 2010 was at 68% (see image below) which matches the value quoted by Professor Charles Soludo in his 2015 article.

Verdict: The statement by the Anambra state governor, Professor Soludo claiming that the poverty level in Anambra while Peter Obi was governor rose to 68% in 2010 and 53% in 2010/2011 can be said to be true and not an exaggeration.

Also notable is that when Peter Obi responded to Professor Soludo in 2015, he did not refute the poverty percentage.

72 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by GuyWise101(m): 5:18am On Nov 16, 2022
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

This Yoro Muslim mod and Apc member is now trying to 'work hard' after Theifnibu disgraced himself in Jos yesterday.

This is a cover up to take away attention from sane minds who wants to question Theifnibu gaffes in Jos yesterday cheesy cheesy

He wakes up from the sleeplessness night he had because of the theifnibu disgrace yesterday claiming to be fact checking nonsense.

But this wouldn't take away our attention at all.

547 Likes 52 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Ozinlex: 5:22am On Nov 16, 2022
Lol....see wetin a mode of a suppose platform wake up this morning to write as if he eats,sleep and wake with Peter Obi in 89% of his brain.

Obi truly their Nightmare

450 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Aufbauh(m): 5:22am On Nov 16, 2022
Do we really need fact check on Soludo's statement?
Who else should know more about Obi's performance and records in office than his brother/successor,an erudite professor of economics with higher intellect & capacity.

Even Obi himself can't disprove the fact of the matter as he was made to be humbled by Soludo's statement of fact.

I reteirate that Obi is a packaged scam and sham that shouldn't be given an opportunity to govern a complex country like nigeria with hydra-headed challenges in our desperate quest for a 'New Nigeria'.
Nigeria is beyond Obi's capacity, competence and scope in all ramifications.

168 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by pinkPUSSY(f): 5:24am On Nov 16, 2022
This one is not hiding his bigotry anymore..

Waking up in the morning the ist thing he did is opening a thread against Peter Obi by 5am, whereas his candidate Tinubu has a lot of incredible dirty loads on his neck, of course this thread is heading to fp..

I thought the owner of this forum told us those days that mods are not biased..

Very unfortunate!!..

BUT ONE THING I AM ASSURING YOU IS THAT TINUBU CAN NEVER RULE THIS COUNTRY WITH THIS CURRENT SETTINGS, KNOW THIS AND KNOW PEACE

327 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Nazgul: 5:24am On Nov 16, 2022
At least in 2010-2011 things were affordable in Nigeria. This is 2022, Buhari has made Nigeria the poverty capital of the world, why isn't anyone talking about that. What's with the constant attack on Peter Obi?

Under Buhari thousands have lost their jobs, and more are still loosing.

Under Buhari Bandits and Boko Haram kills Nigerians like chickens on a daily basis.

Under Buhari inflation has exceeded 200%

Under Buhari corruption has become the order of the day.

Under Buhari accountability has become a Greek word.

So what's with the obession with Peter Obi?

164 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Ineedhustle247: 5:24am On Nov 16, 2022
No worry
Obi is still my choice

PD.... AP SHI grin. AP SHI!!! grin

159 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Tochi3(m): 5:27am On Nov 16, 2022
See moderator.. 4 APCshit not Nairaland..

The truth don finally burst out...

grin cheesy

140 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Mandate2023: 5:27am On Nov 16, 2022
Hoebi really put Anambra ahead of others in poverty.....what a shame

Never will Nigeria allow a disaster like that manage the country

66 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by naijapips04: 5:29am On Nov 16, 2022
Peter Obi is the biggest fraud that will never happen to Nigeria.

He said he never borrowed one Kobo, fact checked he actually grew Anambra debt stock by over 2000%.

He grew poverty in Anambra.

He grew infrastructure decay with substandard infrastructures.

He grew insecurity and police brutality with Akwuzu SARS.

Grew unemployment with his massive importation.

Anambra is a paradise but Peter obi lives in Lagos. All his family are wholely based abroad.

This fraud will never happen to Nigeria.

56 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Elmojiid(m): 5:33am On Nov 16, 2022
Nobody holy pass and ñothing last forever, dick wey stand will surely come down

5 Likes

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by sonature1: 5:43am On Nov 16, 2022
Seun,

Is this OP a mod or is Tinubu using this platform to promote his agenda?

I still maintain that Bola Tinubu is the worst candidate in this race.

Anyone who wishes to impose that old man on this country despises the country.

174 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:46am On Nov 16, 2022
Mynd44:
Former Central Bank Of Nigeria and Present Governor of
I know you hate Obi and you are trying all your best through this platform to pull him down but I can assure you that you're wasting your time, how I wish you can conduct same research on Tinubu drug case

Peter Obi responded to this very Report on LBS yesterday. On 19 Nov 2010 — Magnus Kpakol who is then incharge of National Poverty Eradication Programme rated Anambra state high as the state with the lowest poverty rate among all the states in the country.

Watch the response from Peter Obi on Lagos business school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1FWoenBg4

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Aufbauh(m): 5:47am On Nov 16, 2022
Nazgul:

Under Buhari thousands have lost their jobs, and more are still loosing.

So what's with the obession with Peter Obi?

Yet you guys want to handover us to another disaster called Obi who can not effectively govern a monolithic state like Anambra.

It's hypocritical how you have no problem with a man who have record of plunging more than half of his statemen into poverty and could barely grow the state IGR.

The truth is that Obi's antecedents are not fascinating and unconvincing to be giving a chance for a higher assignment.

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Peterobi90: 5:48am On Nov 16, 2022
Yet the same Anambra people say he is the best Governor that set the pace of growth..

How come those you claim were in poverty say otherwise?

In that same poverty
- debt was cleared
- no borrowings/loans
- over 30 bridges were built
- over 800km of road was tarred
- teaching hospitals were built
- The state became 1st in education
- cleared its MDG goals
- Received best Governor award
- multiple business spring up with support
- drastic cut in cost of governance
- yet over 75bn left in savings

What do they really means by poverty, maybe it could mean poverty to those that depend on stealing the people collective monies like the drug baron.

68 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by TimFisher2: 5:48am On Nov 16, 2022
Igbos are hardworking, have the zeal for entrepreneurship, goal-getter and the zeal for excellence but one thing was lacking. The devil caused us with bad leaders, who are myopic selfish and wicked.

Bad leaders who are self-centred, when they cry about marginalisation, it is only for their selfish interest.

Just look at our so-called leaders, Ekweremmadu, Rochas, Umahi, Uzodinnma, Ogbonnaya and others. On the day of the primaries, they were shouting one thing in front of Buhari..that it is the turn of the Igbos for equity's sake.

They lost the primaries and all of them went mute. Have you seen any of them champion the very cause they were propagating?

The only credible Igbo person that manages to survive this struggle just like the theory of human sperm is what they want to pull down by all means. Example the infamous Umahi statement.

I saw one of my father's old newspapers 2002 newspaper (21yrs) ago. Igbo leaders were shouting about Marginalisation that it is their turn to vie for Presidency. Since then no Igbo leader has ever become the President.

So what wrong did Obi commit that warranted Soludo to condemn all the whole Igbo and their aspiration to become president as if this cause was a new thing?

Why didn't he attack Obi personally and leave Igbos out of this.

Soludo mentioned APGA... APGA, Nigerians are seeing as a regional party because it was founded by Ojukwu. Well we are going to see how many votes APGA will get. If APGA win one ward in Nigeria...call me Bastard. He want Obi to experiment his popularity on APGA so that him too can come out next to vie..Are you seeing foolishness. Do we need experiment at this critical time? Can a Northerner vote for APGA not to talk of a South Westerner.

Well if Obi that is widely acceptable both in the North in the West and in the East lose this election because of our kinsmen's ingenuity and wickedness, No Igbo man will rule this country for the Next 50 yrs. Go and mark it. It is not a joke. Because with the crop of Igbo leaders we have that has nothing to write home about.

And no commoner will ever rule again because Atiku's son, Buhari's son, Tinubu's son, Shettima's son, Bagudu son will continue to rule us. They will strategically put them through. Can I ask one question? Which one of us here has 100 million to purchase just presidential from? By then they will raise the bar just to alienate us.

The establishment Obi is trying to break is what my Kinsmen are busy pulling down...that's why I don't pity them.

Very very bad for us!

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Majesty2(m): 5:51am On Nov 16, 2022
Nigerians will never allow that worthless akpu munching obifraud to become president of this great country, never....

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Penguin2: 5:52am On Nov 16, 2022
Lol!

After The Cable abandoned their stupid Fact Checking, Mynd44 has taken the mantle from The Cable.

Please do fast and push it to front page.

But Peter Obi will be president

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:56am On Nov 16, 2022
Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Penguin2: 5:58am On Nov 16, 2022
TimFisher2:
Igbos are hardworking, have the zeal for entrepreneurship, goal-getter and the zeal for excellence but one thing was lacking. The devil caused us with bad leaders, who are myopic selfish and wicked.

Bad leaders who are self-centred, when they cry about marginalisation, it is only for their selfish interest.

Just look at our so-called leaders, Ekweremmadu, Rochas, Umahi, Uzodinnma, Ogbonnaya and others. On the day of the primaries, they were shouting one thing in front of Buhari..that it is the turn of the Igbos for equity's sake.

They lost the primaries and all of them went mute. Have you seen any of them champion the very cause they were propagating?

The only credible Igbo person that manages to survive this struggle just like the theory of human sperm is what they want to pull down by all means. Example the infamous Umahi statement.

I saw one of my father's old newspapers 2002 newspaper (21yrs) ago. Igbo leaders were shouting about Marginalisation that it is their turn to vie for Presidency. Since then no Igbo leader has ever become the President.

So what wrong did Obi commit that warranted Soludo to condemn all the whole Igbo and their aspiration to become president as if this cause was a new thing?

Why didn't he attack Obi personally and leave Igbos out of this.

Soludo mentioned APGA... APGA, Nigerians are seeing as a regional party because it was founded by Ojukwu. Well we are going to see how many votes APGA will get. If APGA win one ward in Nigeria...call me Bastard. He want Obi to experiment his popularity on APGA so that him too can come out next to vie..Are you seeing foolishness. Do we need experiment at this critical time? Can a Northerner vote for APGA not to talk of a South Westerner.

Well if Obi that is widely acceptable both in the North in the West and in the East lose this election because of our kinsmen's ingenuity and wickedness, No Igbo man will rule this country for the Next 50 yrs. Go and mark it. It is not a joke. Because with the crop of Igbo leaders we have that has nothing to write home about.

And no commoner will ever rule again because Atiku's son, Buhari's son, Tinubu's son, Shettima's son, Bagudu son will continue to rule us. They will strategically put them through. Can I ask one question? Which one of us here has 100 million to purchase just presidential from? By then they will raise the bar just to alienate us.

The establishment Obi is trying to break is what my Kinsmen are busy pulling down...that's why I don't pity them.

Very very bad for us!

I weep my dear.

My happiness is that in trying to bring Peter Obi down, Soludo destroyed himself.

He will forever rue the day he wrote that infamous long epistle.

We will never forget!

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Greyworld: 5:59am On Nov 16, 2022
Can we forget Anambra poverty of 2010 and talk about Nigeria poverty of 2022

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by naijapips04: 6:01am On Nov 16, 2022
Greyworld:
Can we forget Anambra poverty of 2010 and talk about Nigeria poverty of 2022

But you are not forgetting Tinubu's drug case of 1990?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:02am On Nov 16, 2022
Majesty2:
Nigerians will never allow that worthless akpu munching obifraud to become president of this great country, never....
Obi is your next president

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Upworkwriter007(f): 6:03am On Nov 16, 2022
When you want to perpetuate a lie, the fact becomes an enemy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by KanielOutis92: 6:03am On Nov 16, 2022
A nairaland mod, so quick to formulate the story, that he forget to cross-check the title properly before posting. Man just dey rush

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by kcnwaigbo: 6:07am On Nov 16, 2022
What sort of rubbish is this biko? This APC mod claims the poverty level rose from 68% in 2010 to 53% in 2011.Is this supposed to be as a result of crass illiteracy or just pure mischief?

Is 68% to 53% not supposed to be reduction?

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Racoon(m): 6:11am On Nov 16, 2022
Hehehe! Tinubu urchins and miscreants on the over drive.Meanwhile Stockholm syndrome has made them forgot the abject dehumanising poverty under the govt Tinubu openly boasted he helped foist that Nigeria even inherited the inglorious title of world's headquarters of extreme poverty from India.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by LegendHero(m): 6:12am On Nov 16, 2022
No need fact checking anything.

From NBS official figure, poverty increases under Peter Obi. Soludo is very correct.

Peter Obi the Pandora clown will never be president.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Sonyboom: 6:19am On Nov 16, 2022
This are lies you want to believe that Nigeria aint buying. When you are done fooling yourself you will understand he left 180 bullion debt.

Peterobi90:
Yet the same Anambra people say he is the best Governor that set the pace of growth..

How come those you claim were in poverty say otherwise?

In that same poverty
- debt was cleared
- no borrowings/loans
- over 30 bridges were built
- over 800km of road was tarred
- teaching hospitals were built
- The state became 1st in education
- cleared its MDG goals
- Received best Governor award
- multiple business spring up with support
- drastic cut in cost of governance
- yet over 75bn left in savings

What do they really means by poverty, maybe it could mean poverty to those that depend on stealing the people collective monies like the drug baron.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Peterobi90: 6:23am On Nov 16, 2022
Sonyboom:
This are lies you want to believe that Nigeria aint buying. When you are done fooling yourself you will understand he left 180 bullion debt.

Lie that were visible to the eyes?.. were the roads hidden or the the hospitals built in clouds, did the banks refute any or contractors claimed otherwise? Has same Umeh not retracted his word and gunning for senate under LP? Is the evidence not abound that his successor sold shares worth $150m to pilot the state during the reccession crisis, where did the funds come from?

You can wallow in your limbo..

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:23am On Nov 16, 2022
LegendHero:
No need fact checking anything.

From NBS official figure, poverty increases under Peter Obi. Soludo is very correct.

Peter Obi the Pandora clown will never be president.
Under Peter Obi's administration poverty lowest-NPEP, Anambra was leading state in education, health according to United Nations-MDGs report that ended in 2014

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Poverty In Anambra Rise While Peter Obi Was Governor? - Fact Check by Mynd44: 6:23am On Nov 16, 2022
post=118428413:

I know you hate Obi and you are trying all your best through this platform to bull him down but I can assure you that you're wasting your time, how I wish you can conduct same research on Tinubu drug case

Peter Obi responded to this very Report on LBS yesterday 19 Nov 2010 — Magnus Kpakol who is then incharge of NationalPovertyEradicationProgramme rated Anambra state high as the state with the lowest poverty rate among all the states in the country.

Watch the response from Peter Obi on Lagos business school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1FWoenBg4
I don't hate people, I really don't care about Peter Obi.

I simply fact checked something Soludo.

Now if you want to counter what I wrote and prove me wrong do so.

Solido said according to the NBS…….
I checked the NBS and found it true…

If another agency said something else, it is their problem and not mine.

17 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode After EFCC Granted Him Bail Today (Photos) / Okorocha: Ekweremadu Will Lose Seat To APC Candidate / Tinubu, Dangote, Fayemi Attends Margaret Obaigbena's Funeral In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.