Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi (2088 Views)

16 Political Parties Endorse Shift In Election Date / 2015:power Shift To North Not Negotiable—northern Leaders / 2015: North Bids For Power Shift (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by PointB: 8:20pm On Aug 25, 2011
Okun-Yoruba, Ebira coalition back power-shift in Kogi

From Ralph Omololu Agbana, Lokoja

A GROUP, Coalition of Okun and Ebira Youths (COEY), yesterday said it has adopted Alhaji Abdulrazaq Kutepa, a governorship aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as its consensus candidate for the rescheduled governorship polls slated for December 3 in Kogi State.

advertisement

The coalition's spokesperson, Alex Babalola Omojarabi, disclosed this to journalists in Okene, Kogi State, shortly after its members conferred with the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland, Alhaji Ado Ibrahim.

Omojarabi also said the decision of the Equity and Peace Contact Group (EPCG), a coalition of governorship aspirants and elders from the two zones, to endorse Kutepa as the consensus candidate of the people of the West and Central Senatorial Districts, arrived at after a parley in Abuja in January, has not changed.

Giving reasons for the adoption, Omojarabi said the group came to the conclusion that it was time for the Igala in Kogi-East to allow other senatorial districts to taste power after ruling the state from creation in 1991.

He described the current moves by Igala aspirants to succeed their kinsman, outgoing Governor Ibrahim Idris, as "insensitive and a disrespect for the feelings and aspirations of their compatriots in the West of the Niger".

He added: "The multi-ethnic nature of Kogi State has more advantages than disadvantages if only we can bring our various qualities together to build a great state. That is why we are here saying Kutepa, with his minority position, stands as a bridge to bring all our people together. It is about mutual confidence; it is about seeing power as a tool for equitable development, unity and progress, good leadership and not where one comes from.

"Poverty in Okunland does not have a different colour from poverty across the various sections of the state. We are trying to build a state where the birthplace of anyone should not debar him or her from aspiring to any position, unless they are incapable".

While describing their meeting with the Ohinoyi as "rewarding", Omojarabi said the visit to the Ebira paramount ruler was part of a series of consultations carried out across the two senatorial districts.

"After wide consultations and studying the mood of the state, we came to the irresistible conclusion that the Igala have had enough of power having ruled the state from inception in 1991. They are our brothers, we are not fighting them. We only felt that they should allow other parts of the state to also taste power because the state belongs to all of us", he added

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/aug/25/4.html
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by aljharem3: 8:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
at time this is done. kudos

since 1999 the igala have been ruling kogi state

why can't ebira or okun people rule as well
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Aug 25, 2011
Is Igala a majority in Kogi?

Are Okun people the people in Kabba area?
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by aljharem3: 8:48pm On Aug 25, 2011
afam4eva:

Is Igala a majority in Kogi?

Are Okun people the people in Kabba area?

Yes okun people are kabba area but also there are ebira people there as well

the west and central area is okun land even to lokoja

also the ebari is just north of okun but also to lokoja

while the igala is central east of lokoja, also north

igala are a majority but think of it as delta state and lokoja is warri

yeah samething
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by ektbear: 11:03pm On Aug 25, 2011
Goes to show you that even a minority group like the Igala will monopolize power if they get the chance.

Power needs to shift west or they should partition the state, imo.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by Afam4eva(m): 1:51am On Aug 26, 2011
Who says Igala is a minority. Is that what you got from the article.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by tunde300us(m): 6:24am On Aug 26, 2011
The present governor wants his person as his successor, i dont know how the guy wan do am sef ,cos EFCC has reported the guy(ESHOSHO) Isa jubrin to be at large during the prosecution of the AFRIBANK directors who are in court for fraud
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by ektbear: 6:26am On Aug 26, 2011
afam4eva:

Who says Igala is a minority. Is that what you got from the article.

You have misread my post. A national minority can be a majority in a state.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by Afam4eva(m): 6:35am On Aug 26, 2011
In this case we're talking of Kogi not Nigeria.

Btw, the Yoruba-like people in that state should be given the opportunity. Smart Adeyemi comes to mind.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by ektbear: 6:39am On Aug 26, 2011
afam4eva:

In this case we're talking of Kogi not Nigeria.

Who is this "we?" You may have been talking only of Kogi, I was not.

I don't even understand how you could read the statement "even a minority group like the Igala will monopolize power if they get the chance" and not immediately see that I am contrasting national minority with local majority (or I guess plurality.)
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by Afam4eva(m): 6:40am On Aug 26, 2011
Always trying to make sense where there's no sense to be made. Na u sabi.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by ektbear: 6:48am On Aug 26, 2011
Err, it didn't make sense to you. I explained. There is really nothing more to be said, is there?
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by igboboy1(m): 7:07am On Aug 26, 2011
Na wa o, I guess na only igbo eye for delta state wey their eye neva sharpen, if igala can control kogi why cant igbo in delta afterall we be majority for delta?

Well i guess because we are peaceful, for peace to reign we have set aside our aspirations, Igala should learn from us, PEACE is worth it, give yoruba and Ebira chance for Kogi na
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by hakanai(m): 9:13am On Aug 26, 2011
That is the irony of life in Nigeria.Other minorities making noise only do so when dey feel as minority.Otherwise they become another opressive majority.It's in us and we should not dodge it.
The Same with the TIVs,Kanuris,Ijaws,Yorubas,Beroms and co.Go to the states and see how this tribes keep the others to the background.yet people only see the trio(Yoruba,Igbos and Hausa/fulani) at national level.when even they(major minorities) barely set a good example.I have come to a conclusion especially at state levels to rotate powers.
It may look as if people are happily living together until crisis breakout over the issue.So why not make it acceptable to all to forestall violence and preventing breeding of bad blood later into the minority and majority thing.A sense of belonging to all that matter.That alone can grantee alot of peace and harmony. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by Afam4eva(m): 12:49pm On Aug 26, 2011
igbo boy:

Na wa o, I guess na only igbo eye for delta state wey their eye neva sharpen, if igala can control kogi why cant igbo in delta afterall we be majority for delta?

Well i guess because we are peaceful, for peace to reign we have set aside our aspirations, Igala should learn from us, PEACE is worth it, give yoruba and Ebira chance for Kogi na

I think Igbos in Delta state have not been able to mount that governorship position in the state because even though they're a majority, the other groups that are related some how have conspired to make sure the post does not go to Delta north. If nothing drastic is done, i see the post rotating between Urhobo and other minorities such as the Isokos, and the Itshekiris.
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by okunboy: 9:57pm On Aug 26, 2011
This is wat u get unfortunately in most states created by the military. I have always said okun people should not have been fused together with these 'igalas'. Okun should av just been left in kwara, where I believe we are comfortable. Even if there was any kind of alliance between ebiras and okuns, the ígalas' will still be in the majority. Sad truth!
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by igboboy1(m): 1:57am On Aug 27, 2011
afam4eva:

I think Igbos in Delta state have not been able to mount that governorship position in the state because even though they're a majority, the other groups that are related some how have conspired to make sure the post does not go to Delta north. If nothing drastic is done, i see the post rotating between Urhobo and other minorities such as the Isokos, and the Itshekiris.

Nna i think in delta state we have reached the point where we understand na turn by turn, Ibori don do he own 8yrs so make ogboru and ovie omo-agege gats to coolu temper co na delta North for 2015,

I think we in delta north were timid for the first 20yrs but now we will be outspoken, we no dey gree as majority with no voice
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by ektbear: 5:22am On Aug 27, 2011
okunboy:

This is wat u get unfortunately in most states created by the military. I have always said okun people should not have been fused together with these 'igalas'. Okun should av just been left in kwara, where I believe we are comfortable. Even if there was any kind of alliance between ebiras and okuns, the ígalas' will still be in the majority. Sad truth!

Indeed. Why isn't Okunland still part of Kwara State?

Did you guys kick against it? If not, what were the reasons for the military moving ya'll?
Re: Okun-yoruba, Ebira Coalition Back Power-shift In Kogi by okunboy: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Indeed. Why isn't Okunland still part of Kwara State?

Did you guys kick against it? If not, what were the reasons for the military moving ya'll?

Kogi state as it is today is a composition of people carved out of old kwara, niger, and I think benue state. These people unfortunately have a completely different cultural and historical background. Their political antecedents, biases and affiliations do not cross either. Whatever then the military regime of babangida thought wise to fuse these peoples together can only be explained by himself.

(1) (Reply)

Please Seun Ban Me .i Hate Your Website.its Full Of Lies And Support For Fashola / Ndi / Another Bomb Blast At Ejigbo Secondary School In Osun State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.