Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,780 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill (22235 Views)

FG Postpones Students Loan Indefinitely / Details Of The Student Loan Bill Signed By President Tinubu / President Tinubu Signs Student Loan Bill Into Law (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Corrinthians(m): 1:23pm On Nov 23, 2022
The proposed legislation titled, ‘Bill for an Act to provide for easy access to higher education for Nigerians through interest-free loans from the Nigerian Education Bank, established in this Act with a view to providing education for all Nigerians and for other purposes connected thereto.’

The House had passed the bill earlier this year and forwarded it to the Senate for concurrence. With the Senate’s concurrence, a clean copy would be produced and transmitted to President Muhammadu Buhari for assent. Once it is signed into law, Nigerian students would begin accessing the loans.

The bill seeks the establishment of the Nigerian Education Bank which shall have powers to supervise, coordinate, administer and monitor the management of student loans in Nigeria and receive applications for students’ loan through higher institutions in Nigeria on behalf of the applicants, screen the applications to ensure that all requirements for the grant of such loans under the Act were satisfied.

The bank shall also have the powers to approve and disburse the loan to qualified applicants; control, monitor and coordinate the students’ loan account/fund and ensure compliance in respect of disbursement; monitor academic records of grantees of the loan to obtain information on their year of graduation, national service, employment to ensure that grantees of the loan commence repayment of the loan as at when due, among other functions.

The bill also provides that notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in other enactments, all students seeking higher education in any public institution of higher learning in Nigeria shall have an equal right to access the loan under this Act without any discrimination arising from gender, religion, tribe, position or disability of any kind.

Gbajabiamila had argued in the proposed legislation that the hardship being faced by the unemployed and low-income earners coupled with the very high cost of living in Nigeria over the years made access to quality higher education difficult, stressful and in some cases impossible.

He also noted that a well-educated citizenry was critical to the nation’s development and its ability to compete in the global economy, arguing that higher education should be regarded as a public good benefiting the entire country rather than a commodity solely benefiting the individual recipients.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/11/23/national-assembly-passes-education-bank-bill-for-student-loans/amp/

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Asgard73: 1:27pm On Nov 23, 2022
Nice one.. from Apc.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by hbk001(m): 1:28pm On Nov 23, 2022
This a good development.
Let's hope this won't be a ruse and the purpose of it's being achieved.
And hopefully, this won't be a one sided benefits for the upper echelons. We hope this goes round to those who truly, truly need the grants or loans.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Hidewell(m): 1:28pm On Nov 23, 2022
How will they pay back the loan with the high unemployment rate in the country? I'm curious to know.

156 Likes 7 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Machinegun91(m): 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2022
Another scam

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Corrinthians(m): 1:46pm On Nov 23, 2022
Machinegun91:
Another scam
That's how you people condemn without making any effort to exploit an opportunity. When other people do and succeed, y'all start hating on them and blaming the innocent old woman in your village for casting a spell of misery over your lives.

You sound like a very lazy man.

113 Likes 7 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Yoretech(m): 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
Asgard73:
Nice one.. from Apc.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by sonature1: 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
Most Nigerians have criminal mindsets.

I hope they will be able to pay back after taking such loans.

Congratulations to future chop and runaway beneficiaries

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by PrinceOfLagos: 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
Lamba

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
sad so are they tanking the subsidy on education?

Will Jobs be guaranteed post graduation?

Is this only covered on federal universities?

Atiku is coming

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Boyooosa(m): 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2022
Commendable

2 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by nairadatti: 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
How will they repay the loan ,I just want to know

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Manny21: 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
Why do I have this premonition that only children of the rich and powerful will get this loan? Losing faith in this system is so easy.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by dalebrown: 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
Wawu, ok na, after students loans, remain credit cards wey we go implement... As na oyinbo style we dey follow now grin cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Firefyta: 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
I don't know if I'm the only one feeling so hopeless because I know fully well that this is a brazen lie and in coming years you'll hear how one politician has embezzled the whole funds
I'm scared to my heart that this country isn't getting better I swear to god.
May god make it easy on us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
Machinegun91:
Another scam

So what is your alternative?

Government should give people free money? Yes, but it has to be paid for.

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Aareakinwunmi(m): 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2022
It's a good development, if FG can be true with it

6 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by JoshTim: 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
Another sleepless night for IPOB. They prey on Nigeria's misfortune to sell their underperformed candidate

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Gucciblog: 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
Hidewell:
How will they pay back the loan with the high unemployment rate in the country? I'm curious to know.

Don't mind the scammers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
nairadatti:
How will they repay the loan ,I just want to know

We don't know yet...but i guess it would be like the USA...payment starts when you graduate...and a bit of yer salary is taken over two decades or more to pay back the loan.

5 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Patriotic9ja(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
Hidewell:

Forget the how 1st and appreciate the present. Even for so called abroad, jobs aren't guaranteed. Na still competition. So which is better, not being able to go to school because of no funds or going with interest free loan to be paid later?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Mercury12(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
Lucky generation.
We never got to enjoy this kinda benefit but glad our kids can enjoy it.

9 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Healthquest: 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
dalebrown:
Wawu, ok na, after students loans, remain credit cards wey we go implement... As na oyinbo style we dey follow now grin cheesy
Asiwaju go bring am

Femi gbaja sponsored ds bill

10 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by ecolime(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2022
Is it interest free?

Government should support the private sector thrive so they can generate enough jobs to get these kids engaged after school.

Loans without jobs na future lifetime enslavement oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by SporaD8: 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2022
So APC get sense like this before?!
Congrats in advance to parents and students alike. what a huge relief!

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Humblepela: 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2022
Cool and interesting. I hope it's not politicized just like others

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by LordGuru1: 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2022
Cool.

Corrent Guy from Correct Tribe! The Greatness of any People is directly Proportional to how sensible or senseless their males are. History has proven that World dominating Tribes are divinely backed up because their males protect, treasure, and treat their females as Queens. While Slave Tribes always treat their females as useless bitches.
Obavoh:
I always put my wife before myself and my life.

Sometimes I get so angry that I shout at her. But when she starts crying , I will go on my knees and beg her. I even go as far as buying her 2 big bottles of KUNU KWAKWA (her favorite drink) just to console her.

If a woman cries and curses you, your life will never been the same.

Women are our mini gods. They are our creators and life bringers here on earth. Respect them and your life will be blessed.

My wife above everything. I love you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Passes Students Loan Bill by Kobicove(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2022
The government should do well to tell potential beneficiaries that it's a loan which needs to be paid back... it's not free money!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dasukigate: Return Your N260m Share, Oshiomhole Tells Anennih / Saraki Begs, Malami, AGF, To Drop Forgery Charges Against Him, Ekweremadu - SR / I Have No Apology For Supporting The Ejection Of Jonathan From Office - Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.