Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:16 AM

Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? (1085 Views)

For Those Blaming Nnadi Kanu And IPOB For Dividing Nigeria / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Do You Think Dividing Nigeria Will Solve Our Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by razznaija(f): 10:39pm On Aug 26, 2011
Sorry guys i made an error while typing, so this is the original post.

All i am saying is that he might have made a mistake by dividing the country into northern and southern protectorates, and it seems as if there is no progress in the north instead things are getting worse. The is a clear difference between the north and the south because a significant number of kids in the North are not going to school, there is less freedom to do things in the north than in the south, there is less focus on northern states than southern states, northern states are not as developed as southern states, these are just a few that i can mention If the country was not divided everyone would have probably been living together in peace and harmony and everywhere in the country would probably be almost the same. So what do you guys think?
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by okadaman2: 11:10pm On Aug 26, 2011
razznaija:

A midst the sorrow and pain there is a reason why all of these things are happening in Nigeria, [b]if this country was not divided into northern and southern protectorates i do not think that we would be experiencing all of this. If the country was not divided everyone would have probably been living together in peace and harmony because nobody would know that we are supposed to be separated in the first place. [/b]I do not know why there cannot be peace between the two main religions ( Christians and Muslims).  Every month single month i keep hearing that somewhere has been bombed, when will the killing stop, all i can say is that these Islamic extremist are plain wicked, they do not have any regard for human life.

You meant "united" not "divided" right?

You wanted to write "he united and bundled hundreds of different nations into just two protectorates" then forcibly combined the two into one country. Right?
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by Nobody: 12:05am On Aug 27, 2011

this poster is confused.
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by Omolulu(m): 12:07am On Aug 27, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by ezeagu(m): 12:10am On Aug 27, 2011
Fredrick Lugard didn't divide Nigeria, they were two Nigeria's created by Britain before he came. You probably think Nigeria was created by native Africans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Nigeria_Protectorate

"High Commissioner
- 1900-1904 Ralph Moor
- 1904-1912 Walter Egerton
- 1912-1914 Frederick Lugard"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Nigeria_Protectorate

And the whole "they wouldn't have thought they should be separated" is not true, especially when the dusts of the wars of British conquest were barely settled by Lugard's time.
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by naijaking1: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2011
okada_man:

You meant "united" not "divided" right?

You wanted to write "he united and bundled hundreds of different nations into just two protectorates" then forcibly combined the two into one country. Right?

That's what i thought, but come to think about it, you never know the type of education these people recieve.
People who got "false education" can't make rational judgement, and they seem surprised 'why everybody' is not happy with them.
Why would anybody say education is a sin if not because of some "false education" somewhere along the line cool
Re: Was Lord Lugard wrong for dividing Nigeria into two? by tpia5: 12:54am On Aug 27, 2011
@ topic

lugard did that for various reasons besides trade, i believe.

What we have now is a situation where most peoples in nigeria do not know their origins but simply make up stuff as they deem necessary.

nobody would know that we are supposed to be separated in the first place

true that.

will think about it.

i'll look into the history of that era again.

i do know at one time nigeria was considered an extension of sudan.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu’s trial: ACN cautions PDP over Fashola / Us Report On Boko Haram / Tribute To Nigeria's Parable Of Integrity-general Muhammadu Buhari Is 69 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.