Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? (20371 Views)

Giving Out Young Children (girls) As Maids - Your Take On This / Parents With Young Children And Phones / Is It Wise For Parents To Bath With Their Young Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Theblessed(f): 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2011
chaircover:

Many of us are forgetting one small detail which is that in our culture children are seen as gifts from God and also as a sign of fertility and prowess.

It is only now that we are beginning to see people gradually cutting down on the number of kids that they have.

Many of our parents had 4 or above while our generation on average have 2 kids.

Truth be told, many of these illiterates don't even know or have access to family planning.

To me, the sad picture that we saw on the first page is everyones responsibility;

The parents to cut down on the number of kids that they have, the Govt to provide jobs so that hard working and able men can work and bring money home without having to resort to child labour etc, the govt also has to provide family planning at grassroot level, and us as individuals to look out for the less privileged in the society and help them when we can. There is nothing wrong with us sponsoring a child or two through school and to pay our drivers and gardeners a decent wage and on time etc.

We all have a responsibility.

[b][size=16pt]Yes Chaircover, you are absolutely right! God bless you for speaking the truth!

But my take is, our men are the culprit here - they should consider their circumstances carefully and tie their sausages very tight on their tighs so that they don't make another innocent child a victim of their own circumstance. grin  

Because, our culture gave women no rights over these things - we have no rights over our own bodies, to determine whether we want children or not and how many?  

It is the man that dictates the number of children his wife should have and society supports him in that (including women themselves - afterall, we are our worst enemies) and that's the trouble.  The contract is not in written form but it's implied, with pressure on women to submit and they usually do, that's why we are looking at these innocent little girls here, being abused by their own parents and society, abi?

What can a woman do when the Law and Culture are not on her side and she has no backbone of her own - no education, job, trade etc with which to challenge such evil ideas.  You see, risking someone else's life is better than risking your own, abi?  That's why women are pressed to undergo several childbirths, in their husbands quest for more children, they can not afford to feed, how foolish!

The men can only abuse, unfortunate illitrate and naive women and certainly, not someone like yourself and I and there's quite a few of us around you know - that's the worry!!

[/size][/b]
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by armyofone(m): 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2011
maybe there should be a branch of Planned Parenthood in Nigeria? it might be helpful for many women some of whom don't have access to doctors/gyn
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Bawss1(m): 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2011
What kind of childhood will those pretty little girls have at this rate? Yet some clowns will encourage other clowns to start families on a N30K salary because they say the Almighty will provide for us all.
That is no way to raise children and my ire is directed first of all at the parents who in their foolishness brought children into this world without making provisions for their upkeep. Using your kids to make ends meet - how does that statement sound in the ears of a responsible person?

I also realize that many people consider it the norm to engage children in such a manner. Well that is one aspect of culture IMO(along with the desire of having many children) that needs to be done away with. Laws should be made and enforced that protect children from such situations.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Ndipe(m): 9:45pm On Sep 02, 2011
Children are gifts from God.

http://bible.cc/psalms/127-3.htm
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 5:44am On Sep 03, 2011
The important thing is that the kids must go to school first as that is the way they will secure their own future and won't have to send the next generation hawking. After school hours they can hawk but it should be in a safe area devoid of too much traffic and possibly a close distance to the house even then its dangerous cos they are easily exposed to predators : the girls, sexual predators and the boys to gangs and bad company. It's certainly not an ideal situation but if it needs to be done at all it should be only for a few hours cos they still have to read and do their assignments and not be too tired to learn in school the next day. Also hopefully the parents won't see children as an available workforce and keep having more under those conditions. The one that upsets me is when you find out that the parents of such kids are still having more when they can't even take care of the ones they have already. Next thing they will be claiming faith, African's especially use religion as an excuse for laziness and outright stupidity
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by aloyemeka2: 11:21am On Sep 05, 2011
Theblessed:

But my take is, our men are the culprit here - they should consider their circumstances carefully and tie their sausages very tight on their tighs so that they don't make another innocent child a victim of their own circumstance. grin  Because, our culture gave women no rights over these things - we have no rights over our own bodies, to determine whether we want children or not and how many?  

Are you sure you know Nigerian women very well?

Theblessed:

It is the man that dictates the number of children his wife should have and society supports him in that (including women themselves - afterall, we are our worst enemies) and that's the trouble.  The contract is not in written form but it's implied, with pressure on women to submit and they usually do, that's why we are looking at these innocent little girls here, being abused by their own parents and society, abi?

What can a woman do when the Law and Culture are not on her side and she has no backbone of her own - no education, job, trade etc with which to challenge such evil ideas.  You see, risking someone else's life is better than risking your own, abi?  That's why women are pressed to undergo several childbirths, in their husbands quest for more children, they can not afford to feed, how foolish!

The men can only abuse, unfortunate illitrate and naive women and certainly, not someone like yourself and I and there's quite a few of us around you know - that's the worry!!

Not in today's Nigeria. May be you are talking about Burkina Suffer.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Are you sure you know Nigerian women very well?

Not in today's Nigeria. May be you are talking about Burkina Suffer.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Theblessed(f): 10:52pm On Sep 05, 2011
rabzy:

There is little those kids can bring home to the family and they are way too young. But in our villages some these kids just carry those stuff to deliver to their mother's customers down the road or in the next street. I have not seen kids this small hawking in the streets of Lagos except accompanied by older siblings, and most times they just want to tag along and they cry if you don't take them. So their parents just put a miniature tray on their head ask them to follow their older siblings.

In some rural areas too, schools are so far away and ill-kept with no purpose in the teaching that it would equally be child abuse to send kids to such schools. In Nigeria the fact is, its not all school age kids that their parents can afford to send to school, its not all  kids that are interested in going to school and its not all places that schools are accessible.

i once had a family friend whose first son was always repeating classes and failing while his younger brother had passed him and was two years his senior. The father eventually asked him what he wants to do and the guy said he wants to be an 'eleran', a butcher. He dropped out of primary school and became a butcher. Before he graduated as a butcher or become independent, he had to hawk meat on the streets for his master, initially his master would be with him but later he was doing it himself. By the time he was 17, he was already an accomplished butcher. He could handle a cow and butcher it in minutes and that is what he lives on now. He already had a family long before i could think of talking to a girl.

Yeah, i believe we should all try as much as possible to reduce the number of kids we have. The government must have a policy of enlightenment and the campaign must be sustained. What shocks me most is that after seeing the struggle my parents did to raise us, my uncles also had numerous kids, the average was 7. My parents only had their standard 6 education, but all my uncles on both sides had more than that and they still were having 7, 8 kids.

Though they are not doing badly, their kids did not hawk like we did, they have built their own small house unlike us, but its a risk am not willing to take. Anything can happen in this country, there are no guarantees in this life. Just two days ago, i heard its like one of my uncles has been retrenched, in one of the airline servicing companies, though we have not confirmed it, he was their quality control manager and he was doing quite well financially, but what happens now and he still has little kids. Those ones can't even hawk if push comes to shove because they have lived a sheltered life.

Its wrong for the first child or the first kids to be working and taking care of their parents and also fending for the last ones. Its energy sapping and you can hardly plan your own life.

[b][size=16pt]Guy, where did you get your common sense? 

Are there some left over, we could all share, on here?  Your mum raised a perfect gentleman, honest!  And, if you're not married, I envy the woman that would win your heart because, you'd make a perfect Husband and Son-Inlaw.

You think things through and, have so much empathy on others perhaps, due to the hardship you and your sibblings experienced growing up - what a man! You're considering and analysing every aspect of the issues - the implications of such irresponsible behaviour on the eldest children especially, the first and second child of the family who always bore the brunt of most sufferings in the family. 

They're usually, the first to be woken up early in the morning to go and fetch water or go sell akamu, akara and for those in the villages, join their mothers and fathers in the farm, before the sun rise - just pray, it wasn't the Harmatan season when you'd be shaking like a leaf in those your small pins! (Hey, childhood in Africa, we're analysing here remember?) grin grin

But, I want to know why we need so many people on earth? What we need, is it not to provide quality life, education, quantum love and affection for our children so that, they do not experience the hard life we endured, from our parents.

Now, considering the picture you painted above and with the level of education you had, I'm sure that experience thought you one thing or two about life.  You don't seem like someone who would embrace 6/7 children like them or, would you? grin grin

Well, they say, 'experience is the best teacher' and I must inform, all young members of our family have learnt from our parents experiences and, I hope others do too, as there's so many people in the world today, with very little resources left to support us all soon, we'll all be eating each other for food, when there's not enough food, to go round. 

Hope, everyone remembered what happened 2 year ago, when Rice was scarce in the World Market - that's just a tip of the iceberg of what's yet to come? shocked shocked
[/size][/b]
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by rabzy: 6:45am On Sep 06, 2011
^^^ Thanks ma'am.

There are a lot we should learn from the the Good, The bad and The Ugly of our parents. We know those things our parents do that were unfair, that we did not like especially those exaggerations they just spin out. As per Kids, nothing is going to make me go past the three mark, except if the third birth were twins, triplet or more, then i would be in serious trouble shocked

Those harmattan hawking were harrowing, while you are trying to be all cozy and warm, waam! you are on the street hawking, shaking like a jelly, white as snow. Thats why when i hear some people say Nigerians are lazy, i wonder what country they discovered those Nigerians.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Oletunow(m): 1:21am On Oct 22, 2011
Na wao for una self!

One is surprised at how some people here have through a single picture have concluded that, those kids do not go to school or that they should be at school.

Una know if that day na holiday or saturday or after school or no school day?

I really do not see anything wrong with it, as long as the parent is balancing the whole thing. Little enterprises like these is what make the difference between having super and sleeping with empty belly in some families.

I still remember when I was young in 9ja, I was involved in all these. I hawk all kind of things after school and it did not affect my education one bit. I was still the kid that took first in school and now that I am old, when I look back, I did not see how it affects me in anyway at all.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Ndipe(m): 3:51am On Nov 03, 2011
child abuse.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by tontodike1: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Return Of The NL FAMILY SECTION DEACTIVATORS! / Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? / 6 Ways To Be A Better Listener

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.