Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,771 members, 7,955,944 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:21 PM

Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? (20656 Views)

Giving Out Young Children (girls) As Maids - Your Take On This / Parents With Young Children And Phones / Is It Wise For Parents To Bath With Their Young Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by harakiri(m): 8:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
And they called Ghaddafi an "evil leader" (how many adult Libyans have ever worked a day in their lives not to talk of kids hawking food stuffs?). These are the fruits of "democracy". Live with it.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 8:52pm On Aug 31, 2011
armyofone:

oh well, i thought i was talking with a sane person.
better day we will meet.
Fhemmmy:

A mistake is do understandable went the child was not planned, and even at that, the man or the woman might have to pick up more than one job if that is the only way to provide for that child.
team work with a 5 year old to eat is not the way to go, that is an abuse.
The Nigerian men that left no legacy behind that you are talking about is what brought us to where we are in Nigeria today or should i say Africa, where a man think he can justhave kids and have baby mama all over the place . . .shame on such people.

Those kids deserves better

I, in no way support hawking but if it in done for survival which many are then it should be done. Parents born in poverty will still give birth regardless of when/if they can afford it or not. They went through it, their parents when through it so they will give birth. Maybe, with the "big monies" many have been brought up with will be seen as the right amount to bring up a child but to the parent living in poverty the "smallest monies" they receive can be seen as enough to bring up a family. I believe with the money coming from all of Africa's resources, can support these people and children(it does not have to be much but enough to give them jobs or give them free education) so I do not blame the parents but the Government.

In europe if with one job you cannot afford to pay for your child or living adding a second job will help do that but in Africa even sometimes five jobs cannot bring in enough.

Ofcourse, every child deserve better but what if better can only come if they all work together? No, it is greed and corrupt that has left Nigeria or Africa in the state it is. I have said this so many time but will say it again, did know DRCongo can light up Africa? As many as 500million home.s . If just that one country can do that how about all the other resources in Africa? There is water but still no clean water. .

May I ask you Fhemmy where you are at the moment?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 31, 2011
EuroMeko:

A beautiful picture.

What you call child abuse I call survival.

Those look like well fed kids, certainly well dressed. I've seen kids in the US that are far worse.

Before you start sullying the terminology "child abuse" be careful so you don't water it down for those kids who are really facing abuse.

ShipIt:

It's not necessarily child abuse by Nigerian standards, its a means of family livelihood. But according to western standards this can be considered child abuse as these children are being deprived of their right to an education and a worry free childhood. Funny though considerg that Michael Jackson and other child celebrities also started work at a similar age. The difference is that they weren't selling moin moin on their heads.

NatGas:

Yes its Child Abuse, but these kids might still be in school and do this after school hers and support the family.which is more abusive to hawk or to be given out to marriage to a man old enough to be their grand father cos from the look of the pix I think they are from the north or north-west.

lurkee:

I do not think this is necessarily abuse in the typical way. As in, emotional, physical and [i]s[/i]exual mis-treatment but I still think it is inappropriate. I mean how many moi-moi can the little children carry? The mother should have added it to hers because these children are too young to be left wandering the streets at the prey of kidnappers, paedophiles and what not. I do not think the children would see as fun and at that age, they do not need to carry the burden of caring for the family.

It is however not shocking to me. When I see kids like this selling things especially in traffic, I usually give them extra money out of pity. I know that this is probably counter-productive because the parents would keep using them but I cannot help it.  embarassed

woodcook:

Am sure wilo smith and her bros are still kids and yet they hawk their "talents" instead of being in school. Nobody sees anything wrong with that. What is the kids in the photos have talent for business and their mama just the smiths is trying to inculcate it in them at a very tender age.

Does that photograph provide evidence of child abuse? Difficult to say.
We simply have no way of knowing with 100% certainty.

If there is one thing it depicts clearly, this is child labour
The simple truth is that while it is now outlawed in virtually all countries, child labour remains an issue that elicits much passion and division.

It is important we make a clear distinction between child abuse and child labour; for while the former is to be viewed pejoratively, the later needs to be understood within the context of human rights.

Here is how the International Labour Organisation (ILO) describes Child Labour:

[b]Defining child labour

Not all work done by children should be classified as child labour that is to be targeted for elimination. Children’s or adolescents’ participation in work that does not affect their health and personal development or interfere with their schooling, is generally regarded as being something positive. This includes activities such as helping their parents around the home, assisting in a family business or earning pocket money outside school hours and during school holidays. These kinds of activities contribute to children’s development and to the welfare of their families; they provide them with skills and experience, and help to prepare them to be productive members of society during their adult life.

The term “child labour” is often defined as work that deprives children of their childhood, their potential and their dignity, and that is harmful to physical and mental development.

It refers to work that:

is mentally, physically, socially or morally dangerous and harmful to children; and
   interferes with their schooling by:
   depriving them of the opportunity to attend school;
   obliging them to leave school prematurely; or
   requiring them to attempt to combine school attendance with excessively long and heavy work[/b].
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
Very sad. It is very sad that some people support this terrible thing. If the parents are not well off, then they should not go on breeding like rats. No excuse to let kids suffer like this.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by odumchi: 9:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
This is in no instandce child abuse. What do you want the kids to do? Sit down and do nothing? They are only helping support their lives and its common for many children who are under-privileged to help in their parents street vending business. These kids are probably only paying for their school-fees or next meal.

If you say its child abuse, feed them, give them new clothes and pay their school fees.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
odumchi:

This is in no instandce child abuse. What do you want the kids to do? Sit down and do nothing? They are only helping support their lives and its common for many children who are under-privileged to help in their parents street vending business. These kids are probably only paying for their school-fees or next meal.

If you say its child abuse, feed them, give them new clothes and pay their school fees.

Sir, but these kids never asked to be born into a life of penury! They were never consulted by self-centred parents exercising their God given right to procreate.

While I am prepared to suspend judgment on whether or not the fleeting moment in time captured on film actually constitutes child abuse, I refuse to be indifferent on the issue on child rights.

Why is it okay for us, as Adults, to cite human rights when our sensibilities are assaulted even while refusing to afford to same to children?
Even if what we have up there is not a clear cut case of child abuse, it surely provides clear evidence of child labour, since it satisfies some of the criteria outlined by the ILO.

What is the point of having a Child Rights Act if we refuse to accept that children are autonomous holders of rights, who need to be protected under the law, in much the same way as you and me?

The Child Right's Act 2003, passed into law in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja), defines a child as a person who has not attained the age of eighteen years.
However, according to Art. 2 of Children and Young Persons Act, enacted in Eastern, Western and Northern regions (hereafter referred to as CYPA, see details p.21-22), a "'child' means [a] person under the age of fourteen years, while 'young person' means a person who has attained the age of fourteen years and is under the age of seventeen years."
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by horny4u(f): 10:29pm On Aug 31, 2011
How old are those kids? 4 ? 5 ?

I cannot judge o when i did not give their parents charity , i wish such babies did not have to hawk at that age yet i cannot say a man should not breed his generation because of his pocket size.

The advantage is that this kids learn arithmetic on the street and hardwork

p.s My heart tears out to the one on the left she is not finding it funny at all cry. Lets pray for a better 9ja o some people are not laughing. undecided
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 10:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
@eGuerrilla, I think the Government should look at the rights of children to a free education with money from resources. .
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by odumchi: 10:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Sir, but these kids never asked to be born into a life of penury! They were never consulted by self-centred parents exercising their God given right to procreate.

While I am prepared to suspend judgment on whether or not the fleeting moment in time captured on film actually constitutes child abuse, I refuse to be indifferent on the issue on child rights.

Why is it okay for us, as Adults, to cite human rights when our sensibilities are assaulted even while refusing to afford to same to children?
Even if what we have up there is not a clear cut case of child abuse, it surely provides clear evidence of child labour, since it satisfies some of the criteria outlined by the ILO.

What is the point of having a Child Rights Act if we refuse to accept that children are autonomous holders of rights, who need to be protected under the law, in much the same way as you and me?

Maybe you should donate all of your wealth to their parents so they dont have to work. You are only happy when these children are iddle and starving right?
This is only hard honest work. If you cannot do anything about their condition then you have no right to call it child abuse.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
horny4u:

How old are those kids? 4 ? 5 ?

I cannot judge o when i did not give their parents charity , i wish such babies did not have to hawk at that age yet i cannot say a man should not breed his generation because of his pocket size.

The advantage is that this kids learn arithmetic on the street and hardwork

p.s  My heart tears out to the one on the left she is not finding it funny at all  cry. Lets pray for a better 9ja o some people are not laughing. undecided

Power size (poverty) is only one of the causative factors for child labour.

Other possible reasons in my opinion include:

(1) The lack of credible Educational Alternatives
- Lack of investment by central/state government, not simply because of poverty but because of misplaced priorities.
Question: why is it that, despite the provision of mandatory (compulsory) primary education enshrined in United Nations covenants, Nigeria politicians still get away paying only lip service to this veritable option which can help control child labour?
(2) Cultural 'norms'
- The under-valued girl child
- Children from marginalized groups seen as expendable by charlatan employers
(3) Lack of Awareness
- A flawed understanding of the way the institution of childhood is viewed by Adult-parents
- Some warped notion of what constitutes the rites of passage
(4) Demand for cheap labour
- We all stand accused here: we expect contractual services to be delivered at rock-bottom rates, and those children whose arithmetic skills you applaud fit the bill angry
- How many Nigerian families employ children barely out of their teens as house help?
And how many of these same children are denied the right to schooling?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
kandiikane:

@eGuerrilla, I think the Government should look at the rights of children to a free education with money from resources. .

Absolutely, the problem here is not simply about poverty and most of us know this.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 31, 2011
odumchi:

Maybe you should donate all of your wealth to their parents so they dont have to work. You are only happy when these children are iddle and starving right?
This is only hard honest work. If you cannot do anything about their condition then you have no right to call it child abuse.

I have seen village chiefs facilitate the export of girls barely out of their teens into a life of prostitution, just to satisfy the acquisitive urge of a satellite dish.
No sir, poverty is no bigger an enabler than societal values.

Avarice is as old as time itself and possibly one of the few strands of National culture which bind us all grin
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 11:09pm On Aug 31, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Absolutely, the problem here is not simply about poverty and most of us know this.

It is not just poverty but a lot of things affecting Africa. Leaders need to start been organised first before anything can hold place.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by odumchi: 11:12pm On Aug 31, 2011
I dont see what the prostitution thing has to do with this but my point is since it is Child abuse maybe you should go out there and sell the moi moi for them. You have to realize that they are only helping themsleves, beside its not as if their work is lethal or etc. Im notin support of this either but what else can these kids do to help their families?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
odumchi:

I dont see what the prostitution thing has to do with this but my point is since it is Child abuse maybe you should go out there and sell the moi moi for them. You have to realize that they are only helping themsleves, beside its not as if their work is lethal or etc. Im notin support of this either but what else can these kids do to help their families?

I mentioned the issue of prostitution here only for illustrative purposes. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Why you keeping on pounding the same beat here completely escapes me, since what I wrote earlier was: while I am prepared to suspend judgment on whether or not the fleeting moment in time captured on film actually constitutes child abuse, I refuse to be indifferent on the issue on child rights.

You think those children are mere extensions of their parents with no inalienable rights of their own?
Oh, you have rights but not those children. Is that the way it goes?
What employment laws protect those poor kids whose life of servitude you seem hell bent on making permanent, at least in the e-world? angry

Or is it that you simply do not understand that rights are generally framed with the formal notion of[b] justice[/b] in mind?

With your kind of indifference, is it any wonder the Child Rights Act is yet to be fully adopted in a number of states across the federation, having only become enshrined in law in a state like Akwa Ibom just last year.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Outstrip(f): 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2011
odumchi:

Are you purposely ignoring the dangers a helpless child faces when they wander the streets. Why should the burden of helping the family be placed on kids that are barely passed toddlers. Blame the governement. Blame poverty. No blame has been placed on the parents themselves who chose to have them and are most likely still having more. Lets applaud them for their irresponsibility.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2011
If it pains you so much, go take bundles of monies and go help all these children hawkers. .It is not hard,na?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
kandiikane:

If it pains you so much, go take bundles of monies and go help all these children hawkers. .It is not hard,na?

kandiikane:

Do you see how this post cancels out your earlier expression of concern?
How can you possibly demand more from the government when you straddle the straits of reason and unreason with reckless abandon?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 11:57pm On Aug 31, 2011
eGuerrila I have my reasons to write that post. . There are people who blame parents for giving birth to these children and if you refer back to my earlier comments you will see what I have written because not all these children were born in a nuclear family but many are born in unplanned situations, many reasons for these children. .

I believe at this moment in time you cannot blame the parents for this but the government because if they are doing what they should be doing this should not be happening. . One question, can anyone in Nigeria get birth controls if they want it or need it?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Ndipe(m): 12:46am On Sep 01, 2011
EuroMeko:

A beautiful picture.

What you call child abuse I call survival.

Those look like well fed kids, certainly well dressed. I've seen kids in the US that are far worse.

Before you start sullying the terminology "child abuse" be careful so you don't water it down for those kids who are really facing abuse.

It's child abuse, period! Where in America have you seen kids hawking? Oh, ok, there are some teenagers who sell newspapers and girl scout cookies to raise funds for their schools, that's different. The USA has imposed strict regulations on the number of hours and the minimum age that one could engage in physical or manual labor. I dont know the exact age, but I do know you have to be in your teens and of course enrolled in school with good academic standing.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 1:13am On Sep 01, 2011
Ndipe:

It's child abuse, period! Where in America have you seen kids hawking? Oh, ok, there are some teenagers who sell newspapers and girl scout cookies to raise funds for their schools, that's different. The USA has imposed strict regulations on the number of hours and the minimum age that one could engage in physical or manual labor. I dont know the exact age, but I do know you have to be in your teens and of course enrolled in school with good academic standing.

Child labour is sometimes a by-product of child abuse, but since it has its own set of causal factors a clear distinction must be made to maintain clarity of focus.

I looked into this problem in earnest years ago, so know first hand that the issue of child labour cuts across geographical divide, ethnicity and religion.
In the excerpt provided below, Demand for cheap labour stands out as the main driver.

The scandal of child labour in US farming -- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/may/31/children-farm-jobs-immigrants
Most farms in the US today are owned by massive corporations that use tools, heavy machinery and engage in extensive pesticide spraying. Child labourers (who are often as young as seven or eight) working on these industrial farms can expect to work 14-16 hours a day, seven days a week. Lunch breaks are often only a half hour and as with most farm workers, bathrooms and even clean water to drink are rarely supplied by the growers. Federal minimum wage is $7.50 an hour, but because farm workers are paid by the bucket rather than by the hour, their wages often average out to as low as $2.38 an hour.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Ndipe(m): 2:03am On Sep 01, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Child labour is sometimes a by-product of child abuse, but since it has its own set of causal factors a clear distinction must be made to maintain clarity of focus.

I looked into this problem in earnest years ago, so know first hand that the issue of child labour cuts across geographical divide, ethnicity and religion.
In the excerpt provided below, Demand for cheap labour stands out as the main driver.

The scandal of child labour in US farming -- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/may/31/children-farm-jobs-immigrants

The law clearly bars underaged kids from engaging in manual labor unlike Nigeria where a little kid can be sent out to work as a maid or on the streets hawking goods. I am certain that if the authorities are notified of these working conditions meted out to kids, the parents would be forced to lose custody of their wards.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Fhemmmy: 3:04am On Sep 01, 2011
kandiikane:

I, in no way support hawking but if it in done for survival which many are then it should be done. Parents born in poverty will still give birth regardless of when/if they can afford it or not. They went through it, their parents when through it so they will give birth. Maybe, with the "big monies" many have been brought up with will be seen as the right amount to bring up a child but to the parent living in poverty the "smallest monies" they receive can be seen as enough to bring up a family. I believe with the money coming from all of Africa's resources, can support these people and children(it does not have to be much but enough to give them jobs or give them free education) so I do not blame the parents but the Government.

In europe if with one job you cannot afford to pay for your child or living adding a second job will help do that but in Africa even sometimes five jobs cannot bring in enough.

Ofcourse, every child deserve better but what if better can only come if they all work together? No, it is greed and corrupt that has left Nigeria or Africa in the state it is. I have said this so many time but will say it again, did know DRCongo can light up Africa? As many as 500million home.s . If just that one country can do that how about all the other resources in Africa? There is water but still no clean water. .

May I ask you Fhemmy where you are at the moment?

Chief, no matter what, nothing could be said to justify using kids to make ends meet, that is what is child chlld labor . . .as a parent, you invited the kids into the world and it is your duty as a parent to take care of that child and to provide for them, but if you can allow that child to be the one to provide for you, then, you could as well, allow that child to make the necessary decision in the house . . . .it does not take just being bigger than the kids to be the parents, it takes more than that.

nothing could justify using your kids to make ends meet.

It has nothing to do with where i reside, it has to do with the fact that nothing and no matter where people reside, it is not a good idea to make kids be the bread winner of that home . . . .In Nigeria, people that are serious and dont wanna see their kids lives in poverty will do all it takes . . . . and not just say cos their parents raised them in poverty means they could do same.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by kandiikane(m): 3:13am On Sep 01, 2011
Fhemmy, I cannot type a long post now will have to reply to this post fully tomorrow.

I asked to find out where you reside because I wanted to know(if you live in the western world) if you are planning on moving back to Africa with  the education you have received to better it.  I have seen loads of people say such and such but spend their whole lives living and dying in a country without leaving any useful thing behind. You mentioned legacy, what will your legacy be? Contribution in bettering Africa?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Fhemmmy: 3:44am On Sep 01, 2011
kandiikane:

Fhemmy, I cannot type a long post now will have to reply to this post fully tomorrow.

I asked to find out where you reside because I wanted to know(if you live in the western world) if you are planning on moving back to Africa with  the education you have received to better it.  I have seen loads of people say such and such but spend their whole lives living and dying in a country without leaving any useful thing behind. You mentioned legacy, what will your legacy be? Contribution in bettering Africa?

No problem at all, we will take care of this tomorrow, i will be up and running around 8 am Eastern time and that will be like 1pm Nija time, just in case you ride in Nigeria.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Gbenge77(m): 5:22am On Sep 01, 2011
Frankly,hawking of goods by children should be made illegal in Nigeria.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 01, 2011
I think the many replies on here goes to show the sad thinking of many Nigerians. Poverty is certainly an issue. 'Exposure poverty' and 'moral poverty'. Why bring kids into the world to suffer?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 01, 2011
//
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by rabzy: 8:43am On Sep 01, 2011
I totally agree that these kids are way too small to be trading for their parents. But trading by Kids is not something bad in itself, it has been so for centuries in Africa, but the increasingly depraved world in which we live has made it more challenging for anyone including adults to engage in street trading.

We were seven in my Family and my dad lost his Job when we were still quite small, i started selling stuff for my mom when i was 8 and i don't go alone, i used to accompany my older sisters. My mom taught me how to read before i was 8 by the time i became 10, i was reading both English and Yoruba even though i am not a yoruba, i am the de-facto class reader for both languages. When i was 11 i was representing my primary school in the LGA competitions, so were my sisters and we were still hawking on the streets. I finished with the best result from my secondary school in the mid 90s and the same was true of my sisters.

I remember i bought my first wrist watch with the money i made from trading when i was just 12, it was not my mum's business, a friend of mine of the same age told me we could sell nylons bags to people that buys stuff at the near-by Agege Oju-irin market to put their wares and we would make twice the money we invested initially. Both of us went without our parents consent, thinking we were in the neighborhood playing, we would have gone to the market and within 10-30mins we have sold all our nylons and be back. i do this on days am not scheduled to hawk.
Even in the University i was selling computer accessories to augment my income from home.

Till today i thank my mom for helping us to pull thru all those difficult years, she never wanted such life for us, but circumstances forced us to, she showed us love and affection and gave us all a good moral upbringing. I can still remember all she did without screaming at us, without being harsh and always with a warm smile for all of us.

Our hawking to make our family survive, which we have done and done well was never child abuse. i pray my kids would never have to face all that or anyone's Kids for that matter, but if circumstances changes and we have to, then it is back to the trenches.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 01, 2011
chaircover:

The truth is that this is child abuse. The reality is that we can sit behind our laptops and say all sorts ot things about the govt and these kids parents yet more and more children go out each day to hawk because we all just talk but no action.

If each one of us who has responded to this post did something to help the situation, changes can be made no matter how little; remember little drops of water make  a mighty ocean.

Yes the Govt has a responsibility to her citizens and yes parents have a responsibility to only have the number of kids that they can afford to care for, likewise we have a duty to help the less privileged when we can.

The parents of these kids and other parents in the same kinds of situations are not likely to read our posts on NL, so its better that we take our "help" to the grassroots.

We can make a difference if we choose to. I know that there are at least 2 motherless babies homes on the Lagos Ibadan Expressway. How many of us stop by to give anything? How many of us give to charity? How many of us have "adopted" a less privileged kid that is not a relative? How many of us give our drivers & gardeners a hand with paying their kids school fees even if we can afford it; instead many owe their staff wages giving all sorts of excuses. How many of us take bags of rice & food to the less privileged? How many of us ask those kid hawkers to keep the change when we buy things from them?

Bottomline is that it is poverty that is making these parents get these kids to go out and hawk. The fact that they are poor doesn't mean that they don't love their kids & none of these parents will want their kids to be knocked down, kidnapped or violated but in many cases they don't have any alternative but to send these children out. I don't believe that many of these parents are sitting at home watching Africa Magic while the kids go out to hawk gala.

You cant afford to buy a loaf of bread, how then will you afford to buy a condom or go to the hospital to get an implant fitted? How will you even get transport money to get to the hospital in the first place?

Many of us born with silver spoons on our mouths havent got a clue on how the other side live.

Yes its child labour . . . . .so what are we collectively going to do about it to make a difference?

It is easy for us to throw sling shots at each other all that day - I did say this issue elicits much passion and division - getting all emotive, even as we absolve our elected leaders of all responsibility.
This is precisely what they want and the principle reason why some of those who can sit behind our laptops and say all sorts ot things about the govt send so much of their hard earned money home to address all manner of infrastructural problems.

How much is currently spent running our bloated 3 tier system of government, at the Federal, State and Local levels?
Why is it that schooling, even at primary (compulsory) level, still comes at too high a cost for a lot of parents when we have senators earning in excess of $1 million a year?

Moving on, I stand by my earlier assertion that child labour cannot simply be framed in terms of poverty.
If you look well enough, you will find there is no common agreement on what constitutes childhood in Nigeria, what rights should be afforded as such, and what protection should be offered under our subsisting laws.
Our society is one where the importance of charity work and non-governmental organisations (which focus on the welfare of children) cannot be understated, so long as this is not seen as a panacea of sorts.

On a visit home years ago, I came across a 70-plus retiree who had just taken on his fourth wife using a portion of his gratuity allowance.
At the time, he had also acquired a new set of wheels befitting of his newly acquired status, no doubt.
What a subsequent visit revealed to me years later was that this 70-something year old had sired 2 additional children, during a period of dwindling fortune.
The vehicle, purchased with so much fanfare earlier, had long become a permanent fixture of the local landscape, with all its wheels removed having falling into a state of disrepair.

During the course of my stay, I watched both kids wander around aimlessly, assured in the knowledge this particular retired, civil servant may a choice based on cultural norms.
Sure, there is a strong correlation between child labour and poverty, but what about the other factors I highlighted much earlier on?

The fact that they are poor doesn't mean that they don't love their kids & none of these parents will want their kids to be knocked down, kidnapped or violated but in many cases they don't have any alternative but to send these children out. I don't believe that many of these parents are sitting at home watching Africa Magic while the kids go out to hawk gala.

Without creditable educational alternatives, backed up through the enforcement of laws governing the rights of children, as I posited earlier, how do we curb the menace?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by ifyalways(f): 10:27am On Sep 01, 2011
Lol,I don't believe that anyone on the forum would assume/say/believe that the parents of those kids are at home sleeping or watching movies.

Common people,these are kids or our drivers,mai-guards,nannies etc who we use anyhow,underpay them and sack them when we deem fit.

They are kids of poor parents that cannot afford to pay for stalls in complexes,markets and the make shift stall they use have been demolished with no cheap alternative in place.

They are kids of illiterates with no access to planned parenthood.

They are kids of single mothers,who were once house helps,used as sex objects by Oga of the house and thrown out cos she got preggars.

Not the best but definitely an option!Child abuse ?No,child Labor?,Yes please!!.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 01, 2011
^^It does not matter if they come from a poverty stricken background Ify, or have single mothers as mothers, or have mayguards as fathers,This is child abuse. If you decide to bring a child into this world via your jobless and suffering behind, then you better take good care of them. These kids are our responsibilities. Their parents can be jobless and looking for a job all day for all I care, their kids should not be subjected to theis. Work you azz off, stretch your legs outside the streets of lagos looking for job for as long as you like but please save your young kids from doing this.

No child should go through this. It does not matter if their parents are busy all day trying to make ends meet, Just keep these kids out of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Highest Level Of Irresponsibilty As An Adult? / How to solve this fraudulent act by Union Bank staff / How To Buy Washing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.