Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,005 members, 7,863,633 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:59 PM

Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri (15652 Views)

More Facts About Tinubu’s Drug Proceeds Forfeiture By Reno Omokri / Tinubu & The Drug Money Saga: Plainsite Has Been Reported To Google - Hundeyin / Full And Unredacted Case File Of Tinubu's Drug Money Seizure - David Hundeyin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Reference(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2022
Sad, sad scenario we have here where the people are debating who is less of a villain to lead them..... just gob smacked I am.... honestly.
A nation of citizens who are frantically digging to bury their destinies instead of collectively climbing out of the pit by totally rejecting the desire to have criminals rule over them.

Without restructuring it is impossible to have qualitative leadership in charge of this country.
Since 1999 it has always been Hobson's Choice in leadership, a choice between worse and worst at the polls.

We must admit that we are all responsible for the mess we have found ourselves in this country. These failures we keep on installing in government will never prosper this country because they are all morally compromised and subject to blackmail by the forces of retrogression.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

For him Tinibu to enter a plea deal that means he is guilty. How can you be supporting a drug dealer? US government can still reopen the case, what is wrong with Nigerians? A drug dealer as a president of a country!
Yes sir. I totally agree with you. Am just saying Tinubu didn't go to court but Doyin did, but does this mean Tinubu is innocent?. The answer is no. Tinubu knew he couldn't win the us govt if they went to court. Hence a plea deal was made to ensure both parties don't waste their money fighting each other. I remain OBIDIENT always.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Onuoha1234(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2022
Omokri continue your mockery, your flipflops is good entertainment.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2022
DMerciful:
But Tinubu did a plea deal for drugs related offence! So he lacks the integrity to be president
Yes very true. I totally agree with your statement 100%.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2022
Sunnyja:
What manner of confusion is this? Tinubu didn't go to court and yet there are court documents showing forfeiture of $460,000?!
Does it means that the court papers are fake or you are just confuse?
A plea deal doesn't mean you went to court. Tinubu and the US govt settled the Matter outside court. Corporations and organisations do it alot. But for doyin, he was charged and convicted to court. However, because Tinubu did a deal with them doesn't mean his innocent. What it means is the US govt has enough evidence to persecute him, but to save the govt time and resources, Tinubu & govt decided to settle it outside court for exchange of information and hence the forfeiture.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:06pm On Dec 21, 2022
onuman:

In your own logic: Bola Tinubu was caught with possessing drug trafficking money in the US; he begged the US government to allow him forfeit part of the drug money to the government so that he would not go to jail].
But what is stopping INEC from disqualifying Bola Tinubu yet from contesting presidential election?[
If Tinubu wins, I see a frenzy in court actions against his victory. A former drug trafficker occupying the highest of a modeen country is unimaginable.
I totally agree with you. What am just saying is Tinubu didn't go to court, but doyin did. But does it mean Tinubu is innocent of his drug dealings. No his not. The matter was just settled outside court. But In Doyin's case, the court charged and convicted him and found him guilty of some charges leveled against him.
Tinubu never went to court. But Doyin did. But because, Tinubu didn't go to court, doesn't mean his exonerated from his drug dealings, it just means, Tinubu could not prove and provide evidence of how he made the 1.5 million dollars, hence Tinubu made a deal to forfeit some of the money (460k)
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2022
naijapips04:

Tinubu went to court but cut a deal out of court
Either way you want to put it, you are right.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by TheOgaBoss: 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
JoeNL22:

Reno is totally wrong.
Tinubu did a plea deal. Hence, baba did not go to court.
But doyin's case, he went to court and they found him guilty hence he paid the fine.

Tinubu's own is a forfeiture while Doyin's own is a fine/conviction
plea deal means u accept guilt, so same thing.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2022
ATLIEN2027:

RUBBISH TRASH.

The US system of justice is also based on being perceived as innocent until proven guilty by the prosecutor.
It is incumbent on the prosecutor to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt before a court of law.
Stop posting rubbish trash for the gullible on NL.
Bro.....relax.
Am on your side. Tinubu's & Doyin's case are totally different. It's the foolish Reno that wants to create confusion, Tinubu wasn't every charged or convicted. But Doyin' was. But does it make Tinubu innocent?,, no!, the us govt didn't want to waste time taking Tinubu to court. Hence the forfeiture comes to play. What the us govt did to Tinubu is a regular thing they do in their justice system. The American justice system is totally different from Nigerian's system of dispensing justice.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
plea deal means u have accept guilt, so same thing.
Yes ooo.....we are saying the same thing. Tinubu was guilty that was why he forfeited the money. He could not prove his innocence. He could not show the Us govt how he made 1.5 million in less than a year.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by TheOgaBoss: 5:20pm On Dec 21, 2022
JoeNL22:

Yes ooo.....we are saying the same thing. Tinubu was guilty that was why he forfeited the money. He could not prove his innocence. He could not show the Us govt how he made 1.5 million in less than a year.
ok now u are clearer.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by socialmediaman: 5:23pm On Dec 21, 2022
ATLIEN2027:
You must very ignorant of basics of how the system works here.

Not necessary, I could call you out on so many things but let's keep it mature like people do in advanced societies like the US where you said you live

If the DOJ had enough evidence to prosecute him, they would have. The DOJ and IRS work hand in hand. There's is what is called STATUE OF LIMITATION on all crimes except for murder. The DOJ CANNOT prosecute him for crimes that happened supposedly happened so many years ago. Especially a case they could not prosecute when you claimed it happened but now they want to prosecute after so many years.
Do you know how many criminals are walking free the US on daily basis that they are struggling to prosecute but you are here praying and hoping they will go and prosecute someone for a case they could not prosecute back then now. The DOJ hate to lose court cases because it counts against them, they only like to prosecute cases in which they have excellent chance of winning. They have a 98% success rate because of that. It's almost impossible to win in Federal court because they will only prosecute when they have very good chance of wining.
They didn't have a good case against Tinubu. As far as the US court and society is concerned, he's an innocent man. PERIOD.

It wasn't really until 9/11 that many agencies started working together and sharing information. There are also exceptions to the statute of limitations for criminal cases that fall under the statute of limitation, so yes, he can still be investigated and prosecuted if they make an exception. But the DOJ doesn't have time for that unless it raises concerns of national security or something, to them he was simply another random criminal who made money trafficking heroin, moreover he was already in Nigeria "with the next available flight" when he got busted

Look let me tell you something. I came to the US in the 80s (at a very young age) and some of my friends back then sold drugs.
I have NEVER in my life seen drugs, NEVER. But I knew what they were doing. Now if some of their money ended up in my account and the govt found out, they can seize the money. But the govt will also found out through their through investigation that I was an innocent college student who never participated in any drug deals hence they could sieze the money in my account but will not be able to prosecute me for any drug dealing. That's more then likely what happened to Tinubu. Chicago was very very notorious for drug dealing by Nigerians back now, not sure now.

This analogy is plausible, however, he was not an "innocent college student". Have you read the court documents? He was actively involved in the money laundering with numerous bank accounts and addresses including fictitious ones, he opened corporate accounts where he was chairman and the fellow drug criminals were directors, and where all the drug trafficking money ended up after it had passed through various laundering activities. Like I said, I read the 58-page court document, ALL OF IT.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by MikeofAfrica: 5:30pm On Dec 21, 2022
seunmsg:
Absolute rubbish. There is no remote connection. Tinubu was never convicted of any crime nor sentenced to prison. He was not even involved in any criminal case to start with.

Okupe on the other hand is a thief. He was convicted of criminal charges and sentenced to prison with an option of fine. Okupe is now a convicted criminal and can’t contest for any election again or hold public office. That he opted to pay the fine instead of the prison term doesn’t make any difference in all.

If Tinubu was not involved in any crime, why then did he forfeit $460,000 to the United States?
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by MikeofAfrica: 5:35pm On Dec 21, 2022
LegendHero:

All what you type is nonsense. Tinubu was never convicted.

Currently, Okupe is a convicted criminal and until he appeals, that remain the status.

You are just as dumb as Reno Omokiri, equating two unrelated things.

Tinubu forfeited $460,000 to avoid been convicted by the United States.
If he is not guilty of the allegations against him, he would have defend himself in Court instead of a plea bargain.
It is only a guilty but remorseful person that goes for plea bargain.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Ellasure: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2022
JoeNL22:

I totally agree with you. What am just saying is Tinubu didn't go to court, but doyin did. But does it mean Tinubu is innocent of his drug dealings. No his not. The matter was just settled outside court. But In Doyin's case, the court charged and convicted him and found him guilty of some charges leveled against him.
Tinubu never went to court. But Doyin did. But because, Tinubu didn't go to court, doesn't mean his exonerated from his drug dealings, it just means, Tinubu could not prove and provide evidence of how he made the 1.5 million dollars, hence Tinubu made a deal to forfeit some of the money (460k)

Tinubu has legal representation and as such does not need a physical presence in court. He japaed out of USA to Nigeria with a legal representation facing charges on his behalf.

Plea deal resulting in loss of money and personal acquisitions is a conviction in the USA and any country of the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:41pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ellasure:

Tinubu has legal representation and as such does not need a physical presence in court. He japaed out of USA to Nigeria with a legal representation facing charges on his behalf.

Plea deal resulting in loss of money and personal acquisitions is a conviction in the USA and any country of the world.
Okay sir.....I have learnt something today.
I will make my research on your assertions above. Thank you!
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2022
TheOgaBoss:
ok now u are clearer.
God bless you
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by maestroferddi: 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2022
dat9jaguy:

Abeg what does this bolded comment mean
It does not make sense to me but educate me sha.
Typographical mix-up has been corrected...

Revisit...
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Kenchukky(m): 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2022
Okupe stepped down after the conviction as DG to show integrity. Let Tinubu step down too if he has integrity.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by lovinagbad: 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2022
Sunnyja:
Tinubu was not indicted?! So how did he end up doing father Christmas to the US government with $460,000?
Did you know what it means for someone to be INDICTED in a criminal case. Once you know it, come back and talk to me.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by uche393: 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2022
this man is just confused, he's just playing games between mikano and agbado master. because he knows if PO wins he doesn't worth to be given an ordinary gate Man.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by lovinagbad: 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2022
JoeNL22:

Okay sir.....I have learnt something today.
I will make my research on your assertions above. Thank you!
You didn't learn anything from him. He is talking rubbish. That's not how it works.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by lovinagbad: 7:43pm On Dec 21, 2022
socialmediaman:

Not necessary, I could call you out on so many things but let's keep it mature like people do in advanced societies like the US where you said you live

It wasn't really until 9/11 that many agencies started working together and sharing information. There are also exceptions to the statute of limitations for criminal cases that fall under the statute of limitation, so yes, he can still be investigated and prosecuted if they make an exception. But the DOJ doesn't have time for that unless it raises concerns of national security or something, to them he was simply another random criminal who made money trafficking heroin, moreover he was already in Nigeria "with the next available flight" when he got busted

This analogy is plausible, however, he was not an "innocent college student". Have you read the court documents? He was actively involved in the money laundering with numerous bank accounts and addresses including fictitious ones, he opened corporate accounts where he was chairman and the fellow drug criminals were directors, and where all the drug trafficking money ended up after it had passed through various laundering activities. Like I said, I read the 58-page court document, ALL OF IT.
The bottom line is BAT was never indicted , charge or found guilty of any crime. Unless you have the prove. So all your analysis mean nothing.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by JoeNL22(m): 7:50pm On Dec 21, 2022
lovinagbad:
You didn't learn anything from him. He is talking rubbish. That's not how it works.
Lol.....�
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by socialmediaman: 7:53pm On Dec 21, 2022
lovinagbad:
The bottom line is BAT was never indicted , charge or found guilty of any crime. Unless you have the prove. So all your analysis mean nothing.

So when you read this page of the US Department of Justice website, you'll notice that he faced proceedings for a criminal forfeiture. You'll also notice that he was a defendant in a criminal indictment.

https://www.justice.gov/afms/types-federal-forfeiture

From the court documents (if you have read them), you'll also notice that he agreed to the pronouncement of the court that the money being forfeited by him represented money from heroin trafficking.

A criminal is a criminal you know grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Babinski: 8:02pm On Dec 21, 2022
SmartPolician:
Even though I am not Reno's fan, I agree with him. Tinubu's lawyer represented him in the US when the case was on. I think he was in Nigeria at the time that's why they didn't pick him up. It's all about negotiating with the authorities to get a soft landing.

It's interesting to see almost all Nairalanders hailing Labour Party for the decision of Doyin Okupe to step aside. It shows that the party has zero tolerance for the breach of due process.

Tinubu was never convicted. That case in which he was involved was brought against the bank accounts housing money believed to be proceeds of crime. It was a Civil Forfeiture case and Tinubu was involved because the bank accounts belonged to him and he argued against forfeiting the money on the accounta. Eventually he lost about $400k and retained over $1m. No one gets convicted in civil cases. Reno is just being mischievous.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by Shikini: 9:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
Shameful
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by dat9jaguy(m): 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2022
maestroferddi:
Typographical mix-up has been corrected...

Revisit...

OK

Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by socialmediaman: 9:58pm On Dec 21, 2022
Babinski:

Tinubu was never convicted. That case in which he was involved was brought against the bank accounts housing money believed to be proceeds of crime. It was a Civil Forfeiture case and Tinubu was involved because the bank accounts belonged to him and he argued against forfeiting the money on the accounta. Eventually he lost about $400k and retained over $1m. No one gets convicted in civil cases. Reno is just being mischievous.

The court documents which he agreed to and signed stated that he was an active participant of a heroin trafficking organization, and the money he forfeited represented proceeds of heroin trafficking which he was an active participant in

The IRS is a tax agency and though they conducted the investigation that revealed the full extent of his criminal activities, they were only interested in the tax evasion part

Punishment for tax evasion could be a fine or asset forfeiture, jail term, or both, and in this case he was given asset forfeiture as punishment

The DOJ was responsible for prosecuting him for the heroin trafficking crimes but it seems the IRS didn’t share that information with the DOJ, or DOJ had other bigger responsibilities and didn’t give priority to him.

As you know, it wasn’t until 9/11 that agencies started working more closely together and sharing information better with one another
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by SWATMan: 5:48am On Dec 22, 2022
Chinjo2:

Was Tinubu found guilty or not?

Don't mind those morons who expose their emptiness and stupidity here anytime the case of Tinubu's criminal forfeiture is mentioned. In a law court, the only term that means you're innocent is an acquittal. Any other term like plea bargain, forfeiture, suspended sentence etc indicates your culpability in the crime and that means that you not innocent.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by SWATMan: 5:53am On Dec 22, 2022
[quote author=Olukat post=119324261][/quote]

You guys lack content. . In a law court, the only term that means you're innocent is an acquittal. Any other term like plea bargain, forfeiture, suspended sentence etc indicates your culpability in the crime and that means that you not innocent period. Stop wasting you time trying to prove Tinubu's innocence and exposing your self further.
Re: Tinubu’s Drug Money Forfeiture & Doyin Okupe’s ₦13 Million Fine - Reno Omokri by lovinagbad: 9:57am On Dec 22, 2022
socialmediaman:

So when you read this page of the US Department of Justice website, you'll notice that he faced proceedings for a criminal forfeiture. You'll also notice that he was a defendant in a criminal indictment.

https://www.justice.gov/afms/types-federal-forfeiture

From the court documents (if you have read them), you'll also notice that he agreed to the pronouncement of the court that the money being forfeited by him represented money from heroin trafficking.

A criminal is a criminal you know grin grin grin
Was he indicted? Just answer my question. Was he found guilty of any offense. Then we can debate it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Central Bank Releases Names Of Debtors To Stressed Banks / Rivers Killings: APC Calls For President Buhari’s Intervention / Police Teargas, Arrest Ebonyi Labour Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.