Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,188 members, 7,860,261 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:32 AM

Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement (25741 Views)

How Nigeria ‘lost’ Hundreds Of Generals To Early Retirement / EndSARS: Hundreds Of Resignations By Police Officers Rejected By The IGP / 2023: Tinubu’s Camp Jolted By Bode George’s Presidency Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Exceed15: 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2023
wonder233:
I remember trying so hard to join the army, wrote the exams for the NDA 53 regular course of 2001. What first struck me was how difficult the exam was.
After losing out on that, I tried again for Direct Short Service Commission on completion of my NYSC. Again, nothing.
I later got to learn I was just wasting my time, getting into the military in Nigeria as an officer had nothing to do with the exams or meeting criteria or having a genuine passion for military service. It was simply a factor of you knowing someone high up either in the political, traditional or military spheres... Most of the officers out there shouldn't even have been there, if it was based on merit or passion. It is so obvious when you look at them. I have come across officers and I almost weep. They clearly fall short of the physical, academic and personality requirements to be officers.
So long the connection factor is what determines who gets to serve in the military, incidents like these will continue
100% true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Exceed15: 12:08pm On Jan 07, 2023
Ishilove:
I would advise my brother to leave the army as well. You people in Nigeria are destiny wasters.

Please do it fast before you loose him. It is not worth it .
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Peachy14: 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2023
Why won't they resign or loss interest when their oga at the top keep eating what belong to them. Supply food stuffs to army the ogas will waybill it to their homes. Imagine a soldier eating one piece of meat on a Christmas day out of 2 cows given to them for Christmas celebration.

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by CodeTemplar: 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2023
Nonsense!
If the terrorists forcefully rebranded as "mere bandits" who have hitherto killed ill equipped soldiers are repentant as proclaimed by Buhari's administration, instead of their "wuru-wuru" amnesty let them join the army to protect retired and resigning soldiers as civilians.
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by One4me: 1:22pm On Jan 07, 2023
Antoeni:
It’s Quite Unfortunate That The Nigerian Army Has Been Compromised,
A Serious Overhaul Has to be carried out as a Matter of Urgency

COAS:
The CoAS directed commanders to educate the soldiers under their command regarding the flimsy excuses given by those leaving the service.

He added, “In (the) light of the forgoing, you are kindly requested to educate troops under command that henceforth, reasons such as loss of interest in military service will no longer be tolerated as (the) basis for discharge. This reason is to say the least lame and therefore not accepted. Personnel are expected to explain the reason behind lack of interest e.g. ‘I do not want to fight for the country again’, ‘I have not been promoted etc’, to enable the service to make necessary amendments for the betterment of the system. Accordingly, other cogent reasons could be made for discharge from service otherwise such request would not be granted.”

Imagine a deceptive COAS asking his men to apply for a discharge, using a reason he very well knows will lead to summary dismissal?
What kind of wicked leader says that?
I hope you can force a Soldier who has lost interest in the Army, to fight at the War front
. undecided undecided grin grin
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by wonder233: 1:30pm On Jan 07, 2023
This is so sad... The recruits are losing respect for the officers because it is becoming obvious those getting in are a joke.
Dpharisee:

I passed the exam a second time, did so well in every activity with experience from my previous attempt, even got a Colonel to help, then I realised I needed a serving or retired general or a highly placed Northern traditional ruler to back me up with a note to the board.
I saw some of those who couldn't even complete the marathon and obstacles crossing get called up to commence studies.
One of the friends I made there who was not good at anything we did in the Camp got admitted because of the status of his father.

I felt bad not for myself but for the country loosing real talents and future great military commanders to mediocrity

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by asanausana91: 1:44pm On Jan 07, 2023
Rubbish! They should thank God for the lack of job in Nigeria. If not who will join a job that cannot buy one bag of rice in a month.
You pay soldiers 47 thousand naira while you pay senators 38 millions.
By 2027 the Nigeria army will not see people to join the military again.
The injustice of this country will surely bring the country down.

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by ican2020: 1:50pm On Jan 07, 2023
post=119791092:
GOD BLESS OUR DARLING NIGERIAN ARMY.

Again,
GOD BLESS OUR GALLANT SOLDIERS over and over again.

God bless our darling soldiers.

Our soldiers need all the support they can get from the government and encouragement from the citizens.

We will win this war as a nation.

God bless our gallant soldiers as they lay their lives on the line for peace to reign in our darling nation.

[/b]
Thank you sir,
A picture speaks more than a thousand words!
Dem [b]MANNA
the truth in da building.
We will keep killing them with undiluted truths on a weekly basis.

Once again, God bless our Army.

Again, God bless Our Gallant and Darling Soldiers.
What is wrong with you must you comment in every thread
Early resignation is the issue and the need to persuade or discourage personal leaving early but you are here yabbing out of point
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by asanausana91: 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2023
tishbite42:

The NAF is the best
The Army are bunch of organized bandits
even the naf now has joined the army in corruption. There is nothing in the naf aside from the air crew allowance.

1 Like

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Quaddafi29: 4:05pm On Jan 07, 2023
It's taking the shape of a fulani army. Make them enjoy
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by FCA14: 7:40pm On Jan 07, 2023
Fulani army populated by "repentant" insurgents angry
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by ADEGUNWA01: 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2023
Btw the dss and army which one pay better and uses more sophisticated weapons
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by JoeNL22(m): 12:32am On Jan 08, 2023
This man below will help revamp the army. But he needs your help in feb 25 to achieve the dream of a better Nigerian Army.

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by NLPoliceWoman: 7:46am On Jan 08, 2023
RTR
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Idiko1: 8:27am On Jan 08, 2023
Antoeni:

Following the reports of resignations by many officers and men amid the security challenges facing the country, the Nigerian Army has said it will no longer tolerate loss of interest in military service or lack of promotion as the basis for discharge.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen General Farouk Yahaya, in a letter addressed to various departments, formations of the Nigerian Army and the Ministry of Defence, said service personnel leaving the service at will did not augur well for the Army.

In the letter dated December 23, 2022, signed by Brig. Gen. Oladapo Oyelade, the COAS argued that officers leaving the Army must advance cogent reasons, stressing that loss of interest in military service would no longer be accepted.

Though he acknowledged that military service was voluntary in Nigeria, the army chief noted that opting out without serving the length of years prescribed in the military was inimical to the service considering the resources and efforts that had been put into training most of the applicants, which was meant to be utilised for the benefits of the system.

Yahaya, therefore, warned that requests for discharge or retirement without cogent reasons would no longer be entertained or granted by the Discharge Board, which assesses applications.

The letter read, “Military service in Nigeria is a voluntary service. Accordingly, able-bodied men and women apply to join to serve the colour after which they apply for re-engagement or choose to voluntarily discharge. Others in the course of service decide to go on retirement or discharge before their run out date.

“Going by the NA Forecast of Events, the Discharged Board is designed to hold quarterly to afford personnel opportunities to disengage for several reasons other than completion of ROD. The Board exercise is held bi-annually first to gather appreciable numbers of applicants, who may wish to disengage, and to be treated in bulk, while also ensuring that the process is handled in a controlled and uniformed manner.

Admittedly, service in the NA is voluntary and since it’s not a conscript army, any personnel could opt to leave at different times. Conversely, considering the resources and efforts that have been put into training most of the applicants, which requires that skills and expertise acquired is utilised for the benefits of the system, opting out without serving the length prescribed in the colour is inimical to the system.

“Also, in order to ensure (that) the expertise acquired is not easily let off by the service and to recoup the investment made to the benefits of the nation, service personnel discharging at will does not augur well for the NA. However, it was observed recently that most at times soldiers come out with various excuses to go on retirement and discharge, which are not cogent enough or professional.’’

The CoAS directed commanders to educate the soldiers under their command regarding the flimsy excuses given by those leaving the service.

He added, “In (the) light of the forgoing, you are kindly requested to educate troops under command that henceforth, reasons such as loss of interest in military service will no longer be tolerated as (the) basis for discharge. This reason is to say the least lame and therefore not accepted. Personnel are expected to explain the reason behind lack of interest e.g. ‘I do not want to fight for the country again’, ‘I have not been promoted etc’, to enable the service to make necessary amendments for the betterment of the system. Accordingly, other cogent reasons could be made for discharge from service otherwise such request would not be granted.”

However, sources informed our correspondent that many of those who left the service recently did not plead loss of interest or lack of promotion in their applications as such an excuse would be summarily dismissed and the application for discharge rejected.

‘’Soldiers leaving the service are smart enough to know that claiming loss of interest as a reason for applying for discharge will not advance their applications. Even when some of them have genuinely lost interest due to various career issues, they usually presented reasons that the board found difficult to reject,’’ a former soldier disclosed.

https://punchng.com/army-jolted-by-resignations-warns-against-early-retirement/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1673066173

The above nonsensical shenanigan is such mark of indiscipline rampant in Nigeria. Imagine a directive from CoAS directed to Ministry of Defense and the Minister. Subordinates do not write directives to their superiors. No wonder I saw a One Star General with his or her convoy driving on the wrong side of the road at Orji, Imo State. For Nigeria to even think of progress, the rash of indiscipline prevalent among Nigerians must be curbed.
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by Idiko1: 8:46am On Jan 08, 2023
adecz:

Buhari destroyed the military
establishment with his nepotism,
ethnocentrism & religious bigotry
.☪️☪️☪️

If you aren't Fulani or Kanuri, you are
denied rightful posting or promotions.
This happen in all arms of the armed
forces including Customs & immigration.

But when it comes to dangerous postings,
it Igbo, Yoruba, Idoma, Kataf or Berom
officers that are sent, while Fulani remain
where money is and get promoted ahead
of field combatants❗️❗️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Buratai exceeded his retirement date
by over 2 years, thereby denying the
officers directly behind him, the opportunity
to rise to COAS. Officers immediately
behind him got retired while Buhari
just kept him their to tell lies of fake
military successes.

Officers are leaving out of frustration.

No, Buhari and his follow goons were used to destroy the Nigerian army from 1961 till today. Nepotism, ethnocentrism and religious bigotry created the northern soldiers and officer's cadre who killed Ironsi in 1966. The ethnical induced deployment during Biafra/Nigeria war saw the resignation of few Yoruba officers from Nigerian army. The brazen indiscipline in the Nigerian army came to fore when Gowon usurped the position of head of state over his superiors. Only Ojukwu vehemently opposed the silly idea.
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by crafteck(m): 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2023
NLPoliceWoman:

Seun Mynd44 Dominique justwise.
Rule 2

Class captain. Well done, come and take sweet.
Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by adecz: 1:04pm On Jan 08, 2023
Idiko1:

No, Buhari and his follow goons were used to destroy the Nigerian army from 1961 till today. Nepotism, ethnocentrism and religious bigotry created the northern soldiers and officer's cadre who killed Ironsi in 1966. The ethnical induced deployment during Biafra/Nigeria war saw the resignation of few Yoruba officers from Nigerian army. The brazen indiscipline in the Nigerian army came to fore when Gowon usurped the position of head of state over his superiors. Only Ojukwu vehemently opposed the silly idea.

How come you jumped to the killing
of Ironsi without mentioning the killing
of The Prime minister Tafawa Balewa, Premiers, Ahmadu Bello, Akintola and Senior
Northern Nigerian officers by Igbo
soldiers mutineers in the same 1966,
which later led to events that resulted in
the death of Ironsi❓❓

2 Likes

Re: Army Jolted By Resignations, Warns Against Early Retirement by saladinnoir: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2023
Minime10:
Many pipu joined the military as a means of getting a job and not that they really have underline passion to be a soldier.
Others chose to joined the army merely to take revenge on their enemies over past misgivings.
Again, another group sees the army as an instrument of oppression, intimidation and vengefulness against bloody civilians, as well as to be seen as super humans
Many others became soldiers because of political consideration & recommendations and not that these people really have any passion for the job abinitio.
I know of a guy who joined the army just because of how he was beaten & treated by a soldier, so that he could take a revenge on another bloody civilians just because himself was once treated by a soldier.
So I'm not surprise to hear that some of them are now resigning.

Best answer on this thread

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Tinubu Arrives In Nigeria After AU Summit / BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . / Buhari Won’t Respect His 'Noise Makers' Cabinet - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.