Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Joint Account With My Spouse? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joint Account With My Spouse? (5925 Views)

Poll: Joint account, separate account, or a combination of the two?

Joint Account Only: What is mine is yours, period.: 20% (14 votes)
Separate Accounts Only: let my money be mine and yours be yours.: 20% (14 votes)
Combination: Let's share part of our money and hold the rest separately.: 60% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) / My Spouse Came To Embarrass Me At My Working Place / Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by wales(m): 10:33pm On Aug 27, 2007
Siena:

Sweetheart, that's the point exactly, I could kiss you! kiss

I like your point.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by omoge(f): 10:34pm On Aug 27, 2007
the one i also heard was that of man thinking ''am the man'' focus on his family sending WU up and down to their every cries and whins. so when it comes to the joint account thing, women and men should make sure they talk and set things in order. no one person in the relationship or the family should be above.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by osisi5: 10:56pm On Aug 27, 2007
omoge,you're still a small girl grin
before you say "i do",watch and pray.
emphasis placed on the watch. cheesy

I don't know your course of study but some of our men are out there
with one requirement and one requirement only.
They are looking for nurses and women in the health care profession who would open accounts
and add their sorry names to it.

Beware!!

because at the least expected time maybe while the woman is busy pushing out Taiwo and Kehinde down her birth canal
The son of a gun is busy withdrawing her hard earned cash and squandering it. grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by omoge(f): 11:17pm On Aug 27, 2007
although I'm not in health related field, I go still remember that my sister wink
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by dachamp(m): 11:32pm On Aug 27, 2007
@osisi
omoge,you're still a small girl
emphasis placed on the watch.

They are looking for nurses and women in the health care profession who would open accounts

Beware!!

because at the least expected time maybe while the woman is busy pushing out Taiwo and Kehinde down her birth canal
The son of a gun is busy withdrawing her hard earned cash and squandering it.
u're funny, LOL
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by k9ine(m): 11:41pm On Aug 27, 2007
hello,
pls how do I post a new topic so that it appears on the home page.
thankssssssssssssss
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by PTH(m): 11:45pm On Aug 27, 2007
excellent responses by Siena. Where we born by the same mother? grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Ikomi(m): 12:01am On Aug 28, 2007
+osisi:

omoge,you're still a small girl grin
emphasis placed on the watch. cheesy

Beware!!

The son of a gun is busy withdrawing her hard earned cash and squandering it. grin

Stop preaching doom. For thousands of years women have been spending men's hard earned money, what is wrong with things turning around for once.

Afterall the change in societal structure and serviced based economy has given women the edge.

The first fight was equality with men, now u have it all owed to mens generosity and gentleness, now ur next move I guess would be starve the men of funds, since u could'nt get away with sex only. angry
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by daprince: 4:11am On Aug 28, 2007
I believe in having joint accounts. . .DEFINITELY NOT WITH A GIRLFRIEND THOUGH.

Osisi, I got a question for ya. Do you have a joint account with your hubby? (Sorry if it's too personal). You seem to be a good spokeswoman for the ladies.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by adconline(m): 6:19am On Aug 28, 2007
dont put the cart before the horse. Get married first before having a joing account. Big NO NO for me when i am in a relationship with someone.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Macutie(f): 6:51am On Aug 28, 2007
Why ever not?

But i'l have a seperate account. grin

shhhhhhhhhhh just in case, hehehehe
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by dollyshow(f): 7:11am On Aug 28, 2007
why not? Myself and my spouse both share two joints accounts, and we have personal ones.
and i also agree with seun , commit 50% and keep the remain 50%.
You'll both be able to curb each others expenses and still plan for a greater responsibilities and projects.

ur next of kin ?, i bow out here
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by cgift(m): 8:43am On Aug 28, 2007
Its the easist thing to do. Just know her then trust her/him. If u dont know her dont marry her. My wife controls the only account we have. She is not a spend thrift. I have been seeing all statements and do not have issues with our spending habit. She is very prudent. She is my financial adviser 'cos i hate getting worked up because of spending.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ne4real(f): 8:51am On Aug 28, 2007
it's a nice idea, but i dont think i like it

even if i should do it, i'll still have my seperate account.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by jkpretty(f): 9:21am On Aug 28, 2007
It is basically understanding, perfect understanding of each other, Even if u decide to seperate account, a marriage that would breakup will break, if 50% of earnings is joint if u guys don't still understand ur selves it won't work out. Joining ur account howbeit is not a measure for true love, though but i'lld want to be entitled to every aspect of my spouse's life (same as mine). If he brings the idea up, its really going to be fine by me, when we r married. grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by yewaman1(m): 9:51am On Aug 28, 2007
first of all having a jonit account with your spouse (husband or wife) does not show how much you guys LOVE each other.

In case were earn or salaries for the couple is low or were one person earns more than the other it may be difficult, it is best for them to have a joint account or when they probally have to cooperate on certain projects together i.e paying schools fees, paying for rent building a house, send their kids to HAVARD or OXFORD for their masters grin

My parents ran a joint account. and it worked for them, that is not to say it will work for EVERYBODY.I DO NOT BUY THE IDEA
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ADint(m): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2007
Nothing wrong with having a joint account - as long as it is not your main account. wink
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Bolarge(m): 10:10am On Aug 28, 2007
@Topic
Why not? Very welcome idea if you ask me.
In fact for a spendthrift like myself we'd both be heading  for financial insolvency if
she doesn't have a stoically firm say in my finances. I would strongly advocate a joint account where 70% of
each partner's income goes. Both should be signatories to the account of course. The remaining 30%
can then guarantee each individual's independence. That way nobody feels choked.

BTW, the joint account shld be that which requires both parties to sign should the amount
about to be withdrawn exceed an agreed sum eg 30% of the total balance. Make kasala no burst. grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by zimba315(m): 10:22am On Aug 28, 2007
well i think joint account is good for couple who understand themselves and which konws his/her partner is not a money frik or gridy when it comes to money matter, but if you understand the patner you get marride to then you are left to make that dicision yourself shocked
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by funloving(m): 10:27am On Aug 28, 2007
have a joint account for meeting the common needs of your family but still keep your own personal account for meeting your personal needs. There is nothing wrong in having more than one account.

You may be married but you are still an individual with your personal needs. You mustn't go to your spouse for discussion or permission everytime you need to buy a bra or you need to send some money to your mum. Get my drift ?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 28, 2007
Aye, joint account's always worked great for us. Money's never been so important for us to worry about what each of us spends on.

It's just a mutual understanding, we've never actually had any rules as to how we draw money out. I suppose we're so much in tune, and understand ourselves so well, we've never felt the need to impose clauses in our personal and financial relationship.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Bluestream(m): 11:09am On Aug 28, 2007
Is it just me, or does it seem like we have an issue of trust with a majoriy of Bros/Sis'in the diaspora?, [size=6pt][/size](please ignore that)

Why speak of love if there is no trust?, you can't love who you don't know, and if you don't trust who you do know, how can you love who you don't trust?

Why speak of love and crave ''índependence''?

How do you ''love'' with reservations?

, people,people, people,

Let us tell ourselves the truth, a lot of us enter into relationships and even marriage with everything else but love on our minds and in our hearts!

That is why this thread even exists, Central to this whole debate is the sublime question, do you trust your partner?

If you truly do, regardless of previous experience, firsthand or observed, you would not have reservations or hang ups about dependence.

Love in its true sense is interdependent. QED

I have a joint account with my wife, any thing other than that is really a form of infidelity. Sounds a bit absolute, but think about it for a moment, ask yourself, what are the things that should guide our most intimate relationships?

If complete openness, trust and interdependence are included in your list ( this is me being presumptious), then it stands to reason that anything that detracts from those elements is to some degree, infidelity.

I rest my case.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by jidody(m): 11:13am On Aug 28, 2007
I have a joint account with my wife even though we still maintain our separate individual accounts. Each month we transfer a fixed sum to the joint account and we remain at liberty to utilize what is left the way we feel after settling our recurrent bills.(We share the bills even though I naturally feel obligated to do more than she does). The joint account has really helped us in undertaking major projects that are beneficial to the family. Additionaly, we constantly remind ourselves on the need to be modest in our spendings and live within our means, this has helped to boost our money management amd thus the love and peace in our home.

My prayer for the singles is that they meet and marry those that will think more of "us" than ''me" when married and this really has to be reciprocal for it to work.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by efuah(f): 11:18am On Aug 28, 2007
hey jidody, loooooooong time.
hw are u dear?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 28, 2007
@ Jidody and Bluestream: You've both got the right idea, bang on the beam.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by jidody(m): 11:21am On Aug 28, 2007
Efuah, I'm good oh. Still at the War Front.

Hope you've been good.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by funloving(m): 11:38am On Aug 28, 2007
Bluestream:

I have a joint account with my wife, any thing other than that is really a form of infidelity. Sounds a bit absolute, but think about it for a moment, ask yourself, what are the things that should guide our most intimate relationships?

If complete openness, trust and interdependence are included in your list ( this is me being presumptious), then it stands to reason that anything that detracts from those elements is to some degree, infidelity.

I rest my case.

I beg to defer a little. What about our parents who never ran joint accounts but yet have and still have solid, wonderful marriages that have with stood terrible storms?
Lots of present day marriages barely survive a breeze but our parents can boast of marriages already celebrating 30th anniversary and still waxing strong, yet our dads did not, and still do not have joint accounts with our mums.

This is not a one size fits all situation. Do what is best for you but to refuse to run a joint account does not necessarily smack of lack of trust.

I dare say we attach too many unrealistic ideals to modern marriages, hence their inability to last.
You want to get married, sit down and discuss the hard facts about money (and other issues) with your potential spouse and reach an agreement on what will work best for both of you.

The two top most destroyer or marriages remain sex and money
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by mimiko(f): 11:41am On Aug 28, 2007
u can ve joint acoount and still maintain ur personal account its really a sad case wen u hear about guys that spend thier girls money.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Seun(m): 11:50am On Aug 28, 2007
I think the combined approach is the best. A joint account plus separate accounts.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Bluestream(m): 11:57am On Aug 28, 2007
@ Funloving.

I'm curios my brother, humor me,

What are the hard facts that would prevent you from owning a joint account with the MRS ?

, and what is idealistic about owning your money and spending it in common?, where trust is not an issue?

Cmon man, lets face it, people refuse do it, ''just in case'',

my problem is , just in case what?

Its ok if pple want to keep separate personal accounts for sundry expense, but wanting to avoid a joint account for your major funds is something that beats me!
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by amaikama(m): 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2007
You see why women are so materialistic even when they got married! so because you are working woman does that means all your finance should be for only your and your selfish desire forgetting the man whom you are married to and the family both are building?

Even if you earn more than your spouse that does not mean you should look down on him as if he is your puppet. Whatever you earn in life, is for you, your husband and your children excerpt if the husband is the extravagant type that does not think of tomorrow and the family which are very rear.

Conclusion my dear, there is absolutely nothing wrong having a joint account with your spouse and if you are the type that feel, husy keep you money i go keep my own syndrome, kindly desist from it cause it will ruin your marriage. trust will eventually set in and thing will start falling apart, you may not know it first but it will start like abrakadabra ! angry
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by honeyzz(f): 12:34pm On Aug 28, 2007
@seunThe best approach is to put 50%of your salary in your joint account and hold the other 50%. I guarantee it!

me thinks this is the best way for me and my spouse(to be) to actually save towads certain projects and il still be able to maintain some sort of financial independence.meaning i could still buy those expensive designer sunglasses without havin to hear a sermon.I love my fiance to bits and i know hes very responsible and always cautious about what and how he spends money,So if i still get to have 50% of my money i know il be able to buy some of the luxuries which am sometimes a sucker for(this does not mean am a spendthrift).just like a lil things that my man thinks are outrageous and 'unnecessary'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Marry From Your Tribe: You Will Be Saved From Lots Of Headache / Daughter Is 8years Old And She Is Off To Jss1, Should I Allow Her? / How Can I Stop My Brother From Marrying This Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.