Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers (4039 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / Lagos State Government Procures 100 Vehicles For Traditional Rulers / Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by PointB: 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2011
Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'Stolen' By Former Public Officers

From Charles Ogugbuaja, Owerri

IMO State government has recovered more than 100 vehicles allegedly carted away by public office holders of the immediate past regime in the state.

State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'Stolen' By Former Public Officers

advertisement

Chairman of the task force on recovery of public properties, Dr. Placid Ekwueme, disclosed this to journalists in Owerri at the weekend.

Ekwueme, who briefed reporters alongside the secretary of the committee, Larry Ajaero, however exonerated the immediate past governor, Ikedi Ohakim, of carting away government vehicles.

Instead, he accused him of allegedly approving the use of public funds for the purchase of several Toyota Camry cars, which were distributed as gifts to politicians.

Ekwueme vowed that his committee would recover all such vehicles, promising also that the source of purchase of any vehicle seized would be ascertained.

According to him, a debt of about N100 million hangs on the neck of the present administration, while the dealer who sold the cars has begun to make demands for payment.

The Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, Chief Blyden Amajiruowu, last week, alerted the public that the ruling All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), led by Chief Rochas Okorocha, is using the task force to hunt PDP officials, including the Organising Secretary of the party in the state, Chief Linus Iroha.

He disclosed that the task force also recovered some vehicles from the a former Speaker of the state House of Assembly, adding that a past Chairman of the Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers, allegedly carted away seven government vehicles, of which three have been recovered.

According to him, the matter is in court, and the committee will not do anybody any harm, but "we will take government cars any where they are parked." The task force chairman disclosed that at inauguration, his committee had a list of about 34 former office holders who took away government properties.

He regretted that after a two-week grace period and failure to cooperate, the task force had no option but to enforce its mandate.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/4/21.html
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good one.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by nduchucks: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2011
I would have suggested that IMO government offer the officials with those vehicles a deal, wherein they pay only N3million for each such vehicle in their possession. Those cars are worth N4 - N8million on the average. Such a deal would have raised N300 - N500million naira for the government. That opportunity is not yet lost, the deal can still be offered in light of the fact that the government still owes car dealers N100million.

The cars that are not repurchased should be auctioned off to pay off the said loans and recover some of the waste. Good move by IMO state government.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by frenchman2: 7:18pm On Sep 05, 2011
We're beginning to have governors who are ready to step on big fat toes to serve the people. i'm impressed with this one.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Builder: 7:20pm On Sep 05, 2011
Good thing that the stolen vehicles were recovered, sooner than later the recovered vehicles will be stolen again and on and on and on, i just love nigeria
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by HighChief4(m): 7:29pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^That is if another theif like Ohakim is installed again, thats why people should always vote in credible leaders for continuity and sustainance.

@OP----Good move by Owelle, God will always guide you as you have the interest of your people at heart. Other Governors should emulate your ways
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by hackney(m): 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I would have suggested that IMO government offer the officials with those vehicles a deal, wherein they pay only N3million for each such vehicle in their possession. Those cars are worth N4 - N8million on the average. Such a deal would have raised N300 - N500million naira for the government. That opportunity is not yet lost, the deal can still be offered in light of the fact that the government still owes car dealers N100million.

The cars that are not repurchased should be auctioned off to pay off the said loans and recover some of the waste. Good move by IMO state government.

fantastic thoughts.
after all the cars will have to be sold when recovered.

When i become governor, i'll look for you.
grin
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 05, 2011
The more things change, the more the stay the same.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by ndigbo: 8:33pm On Sep 05, 2011
Another good news from Owelle in Owerri! Hope you continue working for the Us Imolites, and God will Protect and Strenghten you!
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by marcus1234: 9:20pm On Sep 05, 2011
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by executinal(m): 9:48pm On Sep 05, 2011
Nice one the peoples Governor, carry go wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Nymphnode(m): 11:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
Ok now
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by sizzlers(m): 5:54am On Sep 06, 2011
cry cry cry cry
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by sley4life(m): 7:26am On Sep 06, 2011
even our leaders have turned from looters to robbers
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by sley4life(m): 7:26am On Sep 06, 2011
those that stole the vehicles should be tried in the law court
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by splitnaija(m): 9:22am On Sep 06, 2011
Vagabonds in power
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by PointB: 9:31am On Sep 06, 2011
Rochas is fighting corruption in a systematic way. I like his style.
When you have no political godfather, you are free of unnecessary encumbrances.

Fire on Rochas, Nigerians are behind you!
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Demainman1: 10:05am On Sep 06, 2011
^^^^ I hear that this una saviour Rochas hasn't paid teachers and other state workers salary for over 3 months now.

I heard he has also laid off all the sanitation people in the state (IROMA). Heaps of rubbish is gradually taken over owerri again.

If true, I ask, Is this person who we call the MESSIAH? I doubt. sad sad
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by PointB: 12:20pm On Sep 06, 2011
^^^
Provide link, cos I hear otherwise.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Demainman1: 12:44pm On Sep 06, 2011
^^^^ My sister and her husband, both teachers in Imo state haven't been paid for the past 3 months. I don't have weblink proof for the sanitation people but you can ask people on the ground if you are from Imo state.

Let me hope that whatever dey say is the case now will only be temporal and that this MESSIAH will start performing soon.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by kizito96(m): 8:51pm On Sep 07, 2011
Its not easy to be a leader. some reason with their heads while some reason from their Ass
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by bigdoo: 3:42pm On Jan 18, 2012
May God bless Rochas.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by noncy21: 4:21pm On Jan 18, 2012
Nice move
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by sheyguy: 8:05pm On Jan 18, 2012
I must be those y*****s again. - #justMyGuess#
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by mrhotcoin(m): 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2013
splitnaija: Vagabonds in power
who are you referring to?
the looters or the ones on a rescue mission?
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by seanet01: 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
Rochas and his smokescreen.
The question is why wait till now?
He has been there for almost two years now.
If true forward EFCC.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by seanet01: 4:19pm On Jan 16, 2013
Demain_man: ^^^^ My sister and her husband, both teachers in Imo state haven't been paid for the past 3 months. I don't have weblink proof for the sanitation people but you can ask people on the ground if you are from Imo state.

Let me hope that whatever dey say is the case now will only be temporal and that this MESSIAH will start performing soon.
So much for the MESSIAH of Imo.
Worse off.
Re: Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
sley4life: those that stole the vehicles should be tried in the law court
for where e don happen before? na today?

(1) (Reply)

General Oladipo Diya & Colonel Gaddafi: Who Had More Balls Of Steel? / Lebanese In Nigeria Live Under Specter Of Civil War / David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.