Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,444 members, 7,846,846 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:44 AM

If God Has A Son.... - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Has A Son.... (3410 Views)

When A Son Should Not Succeed A Father By Deji Yesufu / You Are Not A Son But "Goat" - Leke Adeboye Slams RCCG Pastors / Testimony Time!! Let's Share What God Has Done For Us This Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2023
AntiChristian:

They shall call his name Emmanuel.
Who called Jesus Emmanuel?
I don't understand your question. You just read it from the bible nah. You really didn't know that was his name?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Quote the verse where Isaiah mentioned jesus
Immanuel is mentioned
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:21pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

You are the one making the claim.

Immanuel was born during the days of king Ahaz. This was approximately 700+ years prior to the birth of Jesus.

Immanuel was the younger sibling of Shearjashub who was Isaiah’s first son (cf. Isaiah 2:3). Hence, ruling out the notion that Immanuel was born of a virgin.

What claims are my making? The bible tells us that Jesus Christ is Immanuel not me.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by AntiChristian: 9:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

I don't understand your question. You just read it from the bible nah. You really didn't know that was his name?

He shall be called Emmanuel is a future prophecy.

Who fulfilled the prophecy by calling Jesus such name when he was born?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

What claims are my making? The bible tells us that Jesus Christ is Immanuel not me.

The tanakh never said so, maybe in the king james VERSION you are reading.

In the original Old Testament Hebrew “almah” simply means “young woman.” After the Exile the Hebrew books had been translated into Persian Aramaic, and then in the third century BC they were translated from that into Greek, called the Septuagint, where “almah” becomes “parthenos,” which meant “virgin.” But that’s not in the original. There’s a different, specific word for a virgin, “bitullah,” which isn’t used here.

1 Like

Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:24pm On Jan 21, 2023
AntiChristian:

He shall be called Emmanuel is a future prophecy.

Who fulfilled the prophecy by calling Jesus such name when he was born?
Christians all over the world call him Emmanuel.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:25pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Immanuel is mentioned

How is mentioning immanuel translate to jesus?

That’s a hebrew name invoking EL, immanuEL.
Show me Where Isaiah mentioned jesus in the tanakh, you christians call Old Testament.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

How is mentioning immanuel translate to jesus?

That’s a hebrew name invoking EL, immanuEL.
Show me Where Isaiah mentioned jesus in the tanakh, you christians call Old Testament.
Jesus is Immanuel
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Jesus is Immanuel
Ignorance is not Bliss.

Isaiah 7:14 is totally contextual, contemporary and topical to Isaiah and Ahaz, and to the Syrio-Ephraimic crisis with Rezin and Pekah.

Don’t read v. 14 unless you’re willing to begin with 7:1 and continue, in context, thru to the actual pronouncement of what the actual “sign” really is, in vss. 15–16 ff….

“15. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings….”
THAT is the sign and the fulfillment: the land of that alliance between Israel and Syria, while the child born to the young maiden was still in young childhood, would be forsaken of both her kings – Pekah and Rezin.

1 Like

Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:29pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

The tanakh never said so, maybe in the king james VERSION you are reading.

In the original Old Testament Hebrew “almah” simply means “young woman.” After the Exile the Hebrew books had been translated into Persian Aramaic, and then in the third century BC they were translated from that into Greek, called the Septuagint, where “almah” becomes “parthenos,” which meant “virgin.” But that’s not in the original. There’s a different, specific word for a virgin, “bitullah,” which isn’t used here.
Well we are not reading from the same books and we don't share the same beliefs.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Well we are not reading from the same books and we don't share the same beliefs.
You don’t need beliefs to read and understand a book.

Re: If God Has A Son.... by AntiChristian: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Christians all over the world call him Emmanuel.

In essence the prophecy was never fulfilled in the Bible?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:32pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Ignorance is not Bliss.

Isaiah 7:14 is totally contextual, contemporary and topical to Isaiah and Ahaz, and to the Syrio-Ephraimic crisis with Rezin and Pekah.

Don’t read v. 14 unless you’re willing to begin with 7:1 and continue, in context, thru to the actual pronouncement of what the actual “sign” really is, in vss. 15–16 ff….

“15. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings….”
THAT is the sign and the fulfillment: the land of that alliance between Israel and Syria, while the child born to the young maiden was still in young childhood, would be forsaken of both her kings – Pekah and Rezin.

What's your point here?
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:33pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

What's your point here?
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

in Isaiah 7:14. Here, Isaiah wrote, quite uncontroversially, that “the young woman is with child”, but this Hebrew text was mistranslated into the Greek Septuagint (LXX) as “a virgin will conceive”.

The “young maiden” in 7:14 is already pregnant or shortly will be, and she’s known personally to both Ahaz and Isaiah.

The son who would be born to her, according to the “sign,” she would actually name “Immanu’el” –– as his actual, proper, given, called-by name. That’s the proper name that his mother will name and call him.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2023
AntiChristian:

In essence the prophecy was never fulfilled in the Bible?
Many of the bible prophecies would not be fulfilled in the bible. Is that supposed to be a problem?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

What's your point here?

Which land is that? Which kings?

“the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.”
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:35pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

in Isaiah 7:14. Here, Isaiah wrote, quite uncontroversially, that “the young woman is with child”, but this Hebrew text was mistranslated into the Greek Septuagint (LXX) as “a virgin will conceive”.

The “young maiden” in 7:14 is already pregnant or shortly will be, and she’s known personally to both Ahaz and Isaiah.

The son who would be born to her, according to the “sign,” she would actually name “Immanu’el” –– as his actual, proper, given, called-by name. That’s the proper name that his mother will name and call him.
No he did not, it was a promise of things to come.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

No he did not, it was a promise of things to come.

Yes it did.
the actual sign and it’s fulfillment –– the undoing and failure of the alliance of Rezin & Syria and Pekah & Israel against Judah –– was to occur while the son born to that young maiden was still in young childhood, still eating soft sweet foods, and still too young to know right from wrong. THAT is the prophecy and that is the sign.

1 Like

Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Which land is that? Which kings?

My kingdom is not of this world Jesus said.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by AntiChristian: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Many of the bible prophecies would not be fulfilled in the bible. Is that supposed to be a problem?

Yes, a virgin didn't give birth outside the Bible!

Why would the naming of the child be done by Christians outside the Bible?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

My kingdom is not of this world Jesus said.

Which land? Which 2 kingss?

sign and the fulfillment: the land of that alliance between Israel and Syria, while the child born to the young maiden was still in young childhood, would be forsaken of both her kings – Pekah and Rezin.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Yes it did.
the actual sign and it’s fulfillment –– the undoing and failure of the alliance of Rezin & Syria and Pekah & Israel against Judah –– was to occur while the son born to that young maiden was still in young childhood, still eating soft sweet foods, and still too young to know right from wrong. THAT is the prophecy and that is the sign.
Wrong. Let me get you, you are saying that the mighty God, the price of peace, the Everlasting Father was born by a virgin in the days of Isiah?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Wrong. Let me get you, you are saying that the mighty God, the price of peace, the Everlasting Father was born by a virgin in the days of Isiah?
I’m saying:
Isaiah 7:14 says the woman “is giving birth.” Present participle (feminine singular). Yoledet. The woman is in the process of giving birth as he speaks (or writes).
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:40pm On Jan 21, 2023
AntiChristian:

Yes, a virgin didn't give birth outside the Bible!

Why would the naming of the child be done by Christians outside the Bible?
I thought you said it was a prophecy. Jesus has many names. The bible tells us that Emmanuel was one of them so how does what you are saying change any of that.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

I’m saying:
Isaiah 7:14 says the woman “is giving birth.” Present participle (feminine singular). Yoledet. The woman is in the process of giving birth as he speaks (or writes).
Please answer my question sir. Are you teaching that a virgin gave birth to the prince of peace, the Everlasting Father, the mighty God in the days of Isiah?
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:43pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Please answer my question sir. Are you teaching that a virgin gave birth to the prince of peace, the Everlasting Father, the mighty God in the days of Isiah?
I’m saying in the original text a “virgin” was not mentioned, it may have been edited to that in your versions.

This refers to King Chizkiyahu/Hezekiah, as Rashi and Ibn Ezra, the great rabbinic commentaries explain. You’ll note the operative word here in Hebrew is Yulad, “was born” from the Hebrew grammatical construct of Binyan Pu’al. The English translations that dubiously say “is born” are therefore incorrect. Being that this refers to someone who “was born” and already living during Isaiah’s time, that is 700 years before Jesus! So in no way, can this verse refer to Jesus. But rather, it refers to King Chizkiyahu (Hezekiah), a contemporary of Isaiah’s.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:45pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

I’m saying in the original text a “virgin” was not mentioned, it may have been edited to that in your versions.

This refers to King Chizkiyahu/Hezekiah, as Rashi and Ibn Ezra, the great rabbinic commentaries explain. You’ll note the operative word here in Hebrew is Yulad, “was born” from the Hebrew grammatical construct of Binyan Pu’al. The English translations that dubiously say “is born” are therefore incorrect. Being that this refers to someone who “was born” and already living during Isaiah’s time, that is 700 years before Jesus! So in no way, can this verse refer to Jesus. But rather, it refers to King Chizkiyahu (Hezekiah), a contemporary of Isaiah’s.
Oga, it's simple, we both don't believe in the same text. Please prove yours is the original. I am listening.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:45pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Oga, it's simple, we both don't believe in the same text. Please prove yours is the original. I am listening.
Which language was the original written in?

In the Hebrew, the verse explicitly says, in the past tense: “A child was born to us. A son has been given to us. Government (or authority) is on his shoulder. And his name has been called, ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler” Isaiah 9:6.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:51pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Which language was the original written in?

In the Hebrew, the verse explicitly says, in the past tense: “A child was born to us. A son has been given to us. Government (or authority) is on his shoulder. And his name has been called, ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler” Isaiah 9:6.

So I don't speak Hebrew hence I just made some research and again you are wrong.

כִּי־זֶרַע יְשַׁלַּח יְהוָה לָכֶם נְאֻם־יְהוָה וְרֹעֶה יִקָּח עַל־שְׁכֶם

This verse in Hebrew is saying "For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us, and authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:55pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

So I don't speak Hebrew hence I just made some research and again you are wrong.

This verse in Hebrew is saying "For a child has been born to us, a son has been given to us, and authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
First of all, this is a mistranslation. The words in the original Hebrew are, ‘sar shalom.’ The word ‘sar’ does not mean ‘prince,’

Prince’ in Hebrew is ‘nasee’ and not ‘sar.’ The Christian translators intentionally chose the English word ‘prince’ to lead the reader into thinking about Jesus.
Re: If God Has A Son.... by tctrills: 9:55pm On Jan 21, 2023
Maynman:

Again, I don't speak Hebrew so I researched. כִּי־הִנֵּה הַנַּעַר הָרָה וְנִקְרָא עֶלְיוֹ שֵׁם עִמָּנוּאֵל כִּי־אֶעֱנֶה יְהוָה עַל־אַדְמַת הַזֹּאֲתָ לֹא־בַחֲמַת־עַם וְלֹא־בַכַּף חָרָב

This verse in Hebrew is saying "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel."
Re: If God Has A Son.... by Maynman: 9:56pm On Jan 21, 2023
tctrills:

Hebrew is not necessarily written this way.
Send me link where you got this

the operative word here in Hebrew is Yulad, “was born”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Seven Book Of Moses(conjuration For Political Gains) / Rev Fr Donatus Ogun Is New Bishop Of Uromi Diocese / Odinani And African Spirituality.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.