Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,733 members, 7,824,066 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31060 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jamess32: 9:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
In a sane country it ought to be the Landlord responsibility but here in 9ja its tenant responsibility. I have experienced this on different occasions, we usually contribute to fix the pumping machine, it get to a time we contribute to buy a new pumping machine because the old one is of age, each flat contributed like 15k each to buy a new one because the landlord is not staying with us and we need water
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by basadenet: 9:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
Anything that is shared in the house, i.e, electricity', clearing of septic chamber, pumping machine, cleaning of the house, are responsibility's of both tenants and landlord.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bigiyaro(m): 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.
I think the tenants can buy it and remove it when moving out, or what do you think?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bularuz(m): 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out

What If more than one tenant fix the machine
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by mechanics(m): 9:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
The landlord.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bigiyaro(m): 10:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

I doubt you've ever rented a house.
I reserve the right to remove all my properties from the house when moving out including every single wire, equipment, doors and windows and other things I bought with my money and fixed in the house except am compensated by the landlord.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bigiyaro(m): 10:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
bularuz:

What If more than one tenant fix the machine
the contribution is deducted from the rent
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fergie001: 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
bigiyaro:
I think the tenants can buy it and remove it when moving out, or what do you think?
It's two ways:
If the landlord intends to help them, they can contribute then he removes the money from their rent.

However, if he perceives that they were careless with it that warranted it getting spoilt, they either replace it or stay without water or at best, leave his/her house.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by BewareOf419: 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
who is the owner of the machine? landlord or tenant?

Who is the owner of your street transformer? Your community members or Goverment?

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Laughingkk: 12:57am On Jan 21, 2023
What if the roof of the house is blown off?
Who takes charge?
Hope it will be accepted if the tenant damage more properties that is worth more than his caution fee?

Your take on this,. Please
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Hemet: 2:47am On Jan 21, 2023
Laughingkk:
What if the roof of the house is blown off?
Who takes charge?
Hope it will be accepted if the tenant damage more properties that is worth more than his caution fee?

Your take on this,. Please

The mistake most people do is that they don't really take time to go through their tenancy agreement. Ignorance is not acceptable in the court of law. You'll pay for any voluntary damages intentionally done on the property as long as the landlord can prove it. Wear and tear is acceptable but not voluntary damages. Where I stay, we where made to inspect the property and sign a move-in and move-out checklist for the property and if anything on the property is not in place the way it was when moving in, you'll have to fix it before moving out. I hope these answers your question?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Hemet: 3:02am On Jan 21, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

The pumping machine is part of the facilities provided as a basic amenity for use by the tenants and as such should be taken care of by the tenants either through repairs or replacements. The borehole is a structure in the property and if by any means it collapses, it is the landlord's duty to provide water for the tenants. They are two different thing. Structure and facilities are two different things. Except the property is a serviced apartment or if the tenants where made to pay a yearly service charges and such charges covers maintenance. But in a situation where it is not stated in your tenancy agreement, then the tenants takes care of all such issues. Some tenants due to lack of money would want to push their responsibilities to the landlord and feel victimized. Read your tenancy agreement well before signing.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Juicey59: 3:06am On Jan 21, 2023
It is both the duty of the landlord and tenants to put head together and fix it or replace it, bcus the landlord had already bought it earlier.
Landowner101:
As a landlord if something like this happens, I will fix the pumping machine to avoid disturbance from tenants, but some tenants use things recklessly without caution, thereby causing excessive damages,that's were all tenants are been forced to contribute money that will be used to fix or replace a damaged stuff
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CoolAmbience(m): 5:47am On Jan 21, 2023
Jones4190:
no one tamper with the machine, the machine got spoiled of it own, in taking rent there is what is call causion feel which is normally 5% of the total rentage, it cover the expenses of things like that.

Causion feel

Abeg, leave me this morning!!!
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 6:50am On Jan 21, 2023
descarado:

Landlord should patronise good pumping machine and good mechanic.
Power spike damages pumping machine. Look for ways to cushion the effect of power spike.
I know of a house close to mine where the tenants leave the pumping machine on for hours especially at night.. By morning, the street will be flooded.
That's a case of negligence of the part of the tenants..
Now who will pay when the pumping spoils?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by descarado: 8:18am On Jan 21, 2023
Perfectbeing:
I know of a house close to mine where the tenants leave the pumping machine on for hours especially at night.. By morning, the street will be flooded.
That's a case of negligence of the part of the tenants..
Now who will pay when the pumping spoils?
That's diff. If there is evidence that the tenants do so. Landlord should draft a letter through his lawyer that should the pump spoil cos of negligence, they must repair or buy new one.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Ghostreader13(f): 8:42am On Jan 21, 2023
Pls what about in a situation when a compound's electricity was cut off cuz of illegal connection, the landlord is not aware of it but the caretaker is aware of it... NEPA brought estimated bill of 800k+. What do u think should be done in that kind of situation?? Pls note that the compound in question in an hostel
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by oloyedewaris(m): 11:08am On Jan 21, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

What usage is that? I'm NEPA that supplied bad light or what?

Do you know the part called impaler can actually go bad after prolong usage
If it's bad light, that's a different case

Normally, things are suppose to degrade when used for a long time, plus some tenants can be careless, since it isn't their property
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 11:17am On Jan 21, 2023
descarado:

That's diff. If there is evidence that the tenants do so. Landlord should draft a letter through his lawyer that should the pump spoil cos of negligence, they must repair or buy new one.

Ok
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:19am On Jan 21, 2023
oloyedewaris:

If it's bad light, that's a different case

Normally, things are suppose to degrade when used for a long time, plus some tenants can be careless, since it isn't their property
Careless about sumo pump in what sense
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 2:02pm On Jan 21, 2023
jessylaurel:

Yes..if that's how they meant it. Once a tenant finds he's responsible for any damages he would be more careful with it.

Are you telling me that when the machine gets spoilt the tenant will call the landlord to fix it??
That's where you are getting it wrong. This stuff ain't meant to work forever. As a landlord, continually putting your house and facilities there in shape is your duty. Facilities deterioration is inevitable, it's not meant to last forever
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fohlarp: 4:44pm On Jan 21, 2023
Its d landlords' duty to buy,to fix too,but if its tkn time to fix d tenants can contribut emoney n fix not buyn jst to save u d palava of no water.but dey cant buy new pumping machine,cos it spoils weneva
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by bularuz(m): 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2023
bigiyaro:
the contribution is deducted from the rent

Assuming one or more tenants want to vacate the property and are not going to be paying the next rent?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by adekolaelect(m): 10:52pm On Jan 21, 2023
Levels1:

Why are you displaying your ignorant to the general public?

No one is an island of knowledge but your own problem is that you are not ready to learn.

It is the duty of the landlord to provide water for the tenants since is within the agreement.

If along the lines the pumping machine got spoiled, it is the sole duty of the landlord to repair it.

You are judging base on the fact that the landlord doesn't stay with them I guess?

For the fact that the tenants are the ones using it doesn't mean they are to repair it.

The fact that they on the machine on behalf of the landlord as such it was the duty of the landlord they're doing simply because it affects them directly.

For better illustrations all this hostel builts do have pumping machines and the owners offen times employ securities to guide the house and also to on the water when there's light.

So if along the lines it got spoiled, who's to repair it? Certainly the landlord.

What I'm saying is that the landlord naturally supposed to get someone whom to be operating the water but for the fact that the tenants decided to on it doesn't make them liable for repairing it.

I talked as a landlord whom have been repairing is own more than 5 solid good years.

Hello, sorry who's to evacuate the soakaway?

Do you mean is the duty of the tenants to do so?

If yes, am sorry to ask you; How old are you please?

Your ability to type on media with your imaginary claims doesn't prove you to be right . Do you have a house letimg out or you have any knowledge managing a property ? Your ability to type ABC without full practical knowledge of what you are saying is an embarasment on yourself. Do you know every state has different Tenancy law? Which one are you quoting for me or you are just here to quote what favours you just because you are living in a Hostel or face to face apartment ? Lastly what does your old age offers without knowledge ? Work on yourself .
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 11:19pm On Jan 21, 2023

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 11:21pm On Jan 21, 2023
adekolaelect:
Your ability to type on media with your imaginary claims doesn't prove you to be right . Do you have a house letimg out or you have any knowledge managing a property ? Your ability to type ABC without full practical knowledge of what you are saying is an embarasment on yourself. Do you know every state has different Tenancy law? Which one are you quoting for me or you are just here to quote what favours you just because you are living in a Hostel or face to face apartment ? Lastly what does your old age offers without knowledge ? Work on yourself .

You are not ready to learn.

I don't lives in a rented house.

I'm a full member of CDA

As you grow old, you will learn that is good to acquire knowledge as all you wrote has no meaning.

I was once a tenant before becoming a landlord who equally rentre out houses for people.

You are such a greed caretaker and you are trying to inflit pains on the tenants even when the owner never send you.

I await your response bro.

Good night.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by luluosas(m): 11:18am On Jan 22, 2023
I totally agreed
onatisi:
structural defect are the responsibility of the landlord like roof, walls and major structural but small things like door handle, sockets,switches etc are the responsibility ofbthe tenants once if he or she met it in good condition

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lordmans(m): 12:27pm On Jan 22, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin

This your argument is faulty in the sense that the tenants can't all pack out of the premise at the same time.

And again, sometimes if you wait for the landlord to come the inconveniences you may suffer undergo and the cost of providing water to meet your daily need surpasasses the cost of repairs.

If you love your family and comfort, simply fix the machine or get a replacement. You can negotiate with the landlord if he's the reasonable type otherwise just move on with your life .

Some apartments have this tie in to the cost of renting the facilities but they're not usually cheap.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Everbryte: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2023
The borehole/water is one of the amenities/facilities that the landlord provided in his infrastructure, and if it goes bad bad, he is responsible.
however, because the landlord may not respond in a timely/required manner, the tenant can fix this, fir his/her/their sanity.

The tenant can take a smart step by engaging the landlord and netting this of the rent, if he/she/they win because the pumping machine is adding value to his property

Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by adekolaelect(m): 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2023
Levels1:

You are not ready to learn.

I don't lives in a rented house.

I'm a full member of CDA

As you grow old, you will learn that is good to acquire knowledge as all you wrote has no meaning.

I was once a tenant before becoming a landlord who equally rentre out houses for people.

You are such a greed caretaker and you are trying to inflit pains on the tenants even when the owner never send you.

I await your response bro.

Good night.
thank you sir . But law has to do with backing quotes from the Constitution. Intern of this not about your ideas or what you feel. Which law are you quoting that mandated the landlord to evacuate and repair borhole pump for the Tenants? Then which state law are you quoting bcs there is no unify law of Landlord and Tenant in nigeria?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 22, 2023
adekolaelect:
thank you sir . But law has to do with backing quotes from the Constitution. Intern of this not about your ideas or what you feel. Which law are you quoting that mandated the landlord to evacuate and repair borhole pump for the Tenants? Then which state law are you quoting bcs there is no unify law of Landlord and Tenant in nigeria?

On this note, I conculded you are only toying with my intellectual as I believe you equally knows.

And if otherwise, with all honesty landlord owns the duties and care to repair and evacuate the waste.

When I'm not mad, how on Earth will o do such when I'm not living in the house on free.

So the landlord will be using the money he's collecting for what if I may ask?

Anyways you dare not try such in Ogun State as you will spend almost all your savings in court and at the end you will still pay for inconvenience of the tenants.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Teleprompter(f): 7:10pm On Jan 22, 2023
You ought to treat the land lord’s house how you would like yours to be treated when you become one
I know for sure that a responsible tenant who met the pumping machine functioning would not even argue about waiting for a landlord to fix something as important as a pumping machine.
The type arguing are the type that like free ride and feel entitled to it as long as you’re going in the same direction

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fence Building Section / How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project / Truck Carrying Gas Cylinders Explode In Edo State, Houses Burnt. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.