Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,041 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? (34018 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / Landlord Or Landlady, Which Of These Do You Prefer To Rent Their Houses?? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 9:31am On Jun 09, 2020
What is your worst Experience With A landlord/landlady?

My undergraduate days was one of the times that i had worst Experience With Landlords. I happen to have worst Experiences with 2 Landlords:

First Landlord
While i got admission into higher institution, i rented an Apartment close to school, my dad followed me inorder to know where i stay. In the process, he met my Landlord. They talked for a while and he collected my dad's number. The Man was jovial little did i know there will be a problem.

There was a time our light got spoiled he told me that since I am using gas I should help him and boil water, I obliged. From that day the man wants to exploit me. He came back the next day that he wanted me to give him stew if i have, i gave him. He came back two days that i should give him groundnut oil that's when i realized he wants to use my niceness to exploit me. Since then i promised myself not to give him things anyhow. He still came back after 5days that i should help him with raw pepper i told him it is finished then he asked me of matches i told him it has also finished. That was the last time he asked me for something.

About two weeks later my dad sent me money and then told me to give some part of the money to the landlord. I wanted to ask my dad why, but i just allowed it slide and gave him. As time goes on i observed he is also trying to exploit my dad. The next time my dad sent money to me he told me to give the Landlord again i corner the money. I later told my dad not to give that guy money again he is trying to exploit us.

One year after i left the Apartment he send message to my dad containing his account number that my dad should send him money.

Second Landlord
In 400L I was a roommate to my coursemate (my roommate stayed there a year earlier). The Landlord warmly welcomed me. The man was very nice, so i thought, he even told us that as student when we need something we should just ask them, let there be harmony. I never knew i will face alot of anger.

It first started when the Landlord borrowed my knife and hasn't returned it for two days i asked my roommate if he sees the knife he told me he will talk to Landlord. Later he came and told me that the knife was missing that while the Landlord was making cake he couldn’t find the knife. I was disappointed but let it slide.

Few days later when we came back from lectures he told us that he took some of our sweet potatoes and ate because he was hungry, i was ok with it.

It started getting anoying when our Landlord turned our room as if it was his. He will just open the door and enter into our room without knocking and start demanding for something, the one that anoys me most is toothpaste. It became too much that we had to hide our toothpaste from him.

During semester break we went home but i forgot something very important so i came back the next day only for me to see that our room was opened and my travelling bag and that of my roommate opened he came rushing to me that let him apologize that he took my vaseline. I told him no problem. When we resumed that's when i realised my sponge, hairbrush and perfume were missing.

I became very angry, felt like strangling him. I asked of the Landlord, his wife told me he has gotten back to school i was very pissed off i told her what he has been doing, she said that's how he use to do that when we went to semester break that he slept in our room, that on behalf of him she is saying sorry that i should take heart.

55 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Kalatium(m): 9:35am On Jun 09, 2020
Recently Entered a new Apartment, the room was in a bad shape, so i painted it and wired the house so i can get light. I spent an extra 20k to rrpair the room to my Greatest surprise during raining season, rain was seriously leaking into the Apartment through the roof. I just kept managing it like that cos i don't have money then. During the month of august the rain was too much so that rain was entering through the door and was wetting me. I complain to him and he said he will send someone to repair it but till we finished the semester he didnt do anything.
The most anoying thing was that we were told to all vacate the house and the yeye man didn't tell me. I went for session break, thats when one of the Neighbour asked me if i have packed my stuff that he has finished him i asked him is he leaving the compound he said didnt i heard i was suppose to leave the compound that the Landlord has been embezzling the rent money and not giving it to the owner.
When i went to pack my stuff they have broken my padlock already and removed all my wire, my switch and extension box. I was relieve when none of my other stuff was missing.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 9:41am On Jun 09, 2020
Kalatium:
Recently Entered a new Apartment, the room was in a bad shape, so i painted it and wired the house so i can get light. I spent an extra 20k to rrpair the room to my Greatest surprise during raining season, rain was seriously leaking into the Apartment through the roof. I just kept managing it like that cos i don't have money then. During the month of august the rain was too much so that rain was entering through the door and was wetting me. I complain to him and he said he will send someone to repair it but till we finished the semester he didnt do anything.
The most anoying thing was that we were told to all vacate the house and the yeye man didn't tell me. I went for session break, thats when one of the Neighbour asked me if i have packed my stuff that he has finished him i asked him is he leaving the compound he said didnt i heard i was suppose to leave the compound that the Landlord has been embezzling the rent money and not giving it to the owner.
When i went to pack my stuff they have broken my padlock already and removed all my wire, my switch and extension box. I was relieve when none of my other stuff was missing.

Wow that is too bad of him
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Haywhymido(m): 10:05am On Jun 09, 2020
e be things o

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by LadySarah: 10:11am On Jun 09, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is your worst Experience With A landlord/landlady?

My undergraduate days was one of the times that i had worst Experience With Landlords. I happen to have worst Experiences with 2 Landlords:

First Landlord
While i got admission into higher institution, i rented an Apartment close to school my dad followed me inorder to know where i stay. In the process, he met my Landlord. They talked for a while and he collected my dads number. The Man was jovial little did i know there will be a problem.

There was a time our light got spoiled he told me that since i am using gas i should help him and boil water, i obliged. Since from that day the man wants to exploit me. He came back the next day that he wanted me to give him stew if i have, i gave him. He came back two days that i should give him groundnut oil thats when i realize he wants to you my niceness to exploit me. Since then i promise myself not give him things anyhow. He still came back after 5days that i should help him with raw pepper i told him it is finished then he asked me of matches i told him it has also finished. That was the last time he asked me for something.

About two weeks later my dad send me money and then told me to give some part of the money to the landlord, i wanted to ask my dad why, but i just allow it slide and gave him. As time goes on i observe he is also trying to emploit my dad. The next my dad send money to me he told me to give the Landlord again i corner the money. I later told my dad not to give that guy money again he is trying to exploit us.

One year after i left the Apartment he send message to my dad containing his account number that my dad should send him money.

Second Landlord
In 400L i was a roommate to my coursemate (my roommate stayed there a year earlier). The Landlord warmly welcomed me. The man was very nice, so i thought, he even told us that as student when we need something we should just ask them, let there be harmony. I never knew i will face alot of anger.

It first started when the Landlord borrowed my knife and hasnt return it for two days i asked my roommate if he sees the knife he told me he will talk to Landlord. Later he came and told me that the knife was missing that while the Landlord was making cake he couldn’t find the knife. I was disappointed but let it slide.

Few days later when we came back from lectures he told us that he took some of our sweet potatoes and ate because he was hungry, i was ok with it.
It started getting anoying when our Landlord turn our room as if it was his. He will just open the door and enter into our room without knocking and start demanding for something, the one that anoys me most is toothpaste. It became too much that we had to hide our toothpaste from him.

During semester break we went home but i forgot something very important so i came back the next day only for me to see that our room was opened and my travelling bag and that of my roommate opened he came rushing to me that let him appologize that he took my vaseline. I told him no problem. When we resumed thats when i realised my sponge, hairbrush and perfume was missing.

I became very angry, felt like strangling him. I asked of the Landlord, his wife told me he has gotten back to school i was very pissed off i told her what he has been doing, she said thats how he use to do that when we went to semester break that he slept in our room, that on behalf of him she is saying sorry that i should take heart.

Landlord or caretaker? Check well it's the caretakeroo

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 10:22am On Jun 09, 2020
LadySarah:

Landlord or caretaker? Check well it's the caretakeroo
Its the landlord
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by restore8(m): 10:24am On Jun 09, 2020
In my 100l my experience with my landlord was a terrible one. It was a self contained apartment. There was no toilet in the house but he lied to my dad about it.

I decided to adapt to this situation without telling my parents at home. Since I was new, my dad decided that I should be going to their church- Deeper Life. I couldn't and that was were the problem started. My landlord started to see me as a sinner because I was going to CASOR.

A friend of mine got admission and he wanted us to leave that place. That was when I began to hate religion. This man started saying bad words about me. He did his best to destroy my reputation but God was so faithful.

Although, all these challenges made me become a better person, but there were still some painful lessons learnt. Because of him I stopped being religious and decided to seek God for myself.

I hate religion!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by ikemesit4477: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2020
My own happen during my year one, though the man I rented the room from wasn't the direct landlord, he rented 3 bedroom flat, then he allocated one room to his brother, so when he was short of cash, he told his brother to look for someone he can share the room with! And I was looking for a roommate, along the line my cousin inform me about the accomodation so I ask her to go and check since she was in school! She did and told me the place is OK! after every arrangement I transfer the money to her and she make the payment! Fast forward to the day I park in, with my luggage and food items, I met the guy I will be staying with, he is also a student! He show me round the house, to the restroom, bathroom, kitchen! and i drop my bag, and I went to school, could you believed when I came back, the landlady, not the real landlady came into our room open my bag, the one that contain food stuff, inspect everything I brought, then remove my rice, onions, and prepare jollof rice! when I came back, I saw her bringing food, that she remove my rice and cook, these is my own share! Somebody I never meet before from Adam, I was shock! But I didn't have the boldness to confront her! When my roommate came back I reported to him, he pleaded that I should let it go! Since that day I started locking my bag when am out!

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Vyzz: 11:03am On Jun 09, 2020
angry

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by illicit(m): 12:02pm On Jun 09, 2020
Back then at school, My landlord likes to barge into my room unannounced especially when I am with a female guest....

When I challenged him, he said it's his house afterall....

I had to report him to his mother and wives

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by dep07(f): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2020
Let me share mine.
I had a landlady who was bent on frustrating the life of her tenants .She doesn't stay in the compound but comes as early as 7am to start selling water. She will tell you the time to switch on the light at the corridor and time to switch it off in the morning, you dare not forget oo. Meanwhile you are the one that bought the bulb and also no outstanding light bill.
This kept happening,one morning she came unfortunately I haven't switched off the light,there was nothing she didn't tell me.it was much that I was forced to respond ,she was shocked that I could reply her.After that day,she stopped bothering my life until I left that house.

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by LuQuLuQu(m): 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2020
All landlords/ladies are Shylocks... That's just my summation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by SweetCunt97(f): 12:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
ikemesit4477:
My own happen during my year one, though the man I rented the room from wasn't the direct landlord, he rented 3 bedroom flat, then he allocated one room to his brother, so when he was short of cash, he told his brother to look for someone he can share the room with! And I was looking for a roommate, along the line my cousin inform me about the accomodation so I ask her to go and check since she was in school! She did and told me the place is OK! after every arrangement I transfer the money to her and she make the payment! Fast forward to the day I park in, with my luggage and food items, I met the guy I will be staying with, he is also a student! He show me round the house, to the restroom, bathroom, kitchen! and i drop my bag, and I went to school, could you believed when I came back, the landlady, not the real landlady came into our room open my bag, the one that contain food stuff, inspect everything I brought, then remove my rice, onions, and prepare jollof rice! when I came back, I saw her bringing food, that she remove my rice and cook, these is my own share! Somebody I never meet before from Adam, I was shock! But I didn't have the boldness to confront her! When my roommate came back I reported to him, he pleaded that I should let it go! Since that day I started locking my bag when am out!
The Audacity in some people can be mind boggling

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by roughdiamond(m): 2:41pm On Jun 09, 2020
While in school 2012 precisely, a friend got connected to an admission seeker by his close friend. So he pleaded with me to help the girl process her admission. I was still on the process when he called one day that the girl is on her way coming to school and he would like she stays with me. I was confused and disappointed but just accepted. My room faces that of my landlady's directly and she hates visitors like mad. The girl spent the first week and the landlady instructed me to send her away as she can't accept a visitor. I tried all I could begging her but she refused. I refused to let the girl go too as according to her, she was tired of staying at home doing nothing. One day, I returned from morning mass and the landlady started shouting that I go to morning masses everyday but live with a girl in my room. Her voice went far reaching neighboring houses. It was highly embarrassing but I just laughed all through. The worst was when my friends searching for an accommodation came to stay with me while they continue with their search. The woman confronted them in my absence to leave her house but one told her that we were all brothers and they will be staying with me. I returned home and found the woman crying and calling her ancestors to help fight for her that I want to chase her out from her house. I met her and she quickly gave me back my rent to leave her house. I had to calm her down and talk to her. The drama continued till my graduation as I got many visitors (mainly female friends and sisters ) who attracted her attention. I never blamed her though, because she was limited to her environment. Still love her (Mama as I fondly called her) and must visit whenever I visit the school.

120 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:22pm On Jun 09, 2020
restore8:
In my 100l my experience with my landlord was a terrible one. It was a self contained apartment. There was no toilet in the house but he lied to my dad about it.

I decided to adapt to this situation without telling my parents at home. Since I was new, my dad decided that I should be going to their church- Deeper Life. I couldn't and that was were the problem started. My landlord started to see me as a sinner because I was going to CASOR.

A friend of mine got admission and he wanted us to leave that place. That was when I began to hate religion. This man started saying bad words about me. He did his best to destroy my reputation but God was so faithful.

Although, all these challenges made me become a better person, but there were still some painful lessons learnt. Because of him I stopped being religious and decided to seek God for myself.

I hate religion!
What a bad Landlord
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2020
roughdiamond:
While in school 2012 precisely, a friend got connected to an admission seeker by his close friend. So he pleaded with me to help the girl process her admission. I was still on the process when he called one day that the girl is on her way coming to school and he would like she stays with me. I was confused and disappointed but just accepted. My room faces that of my landlady's directly and she hates visitors like mad. The girl spent the first week and the landlady instructed me to send her away as she can't accept a visitor. I tried all I could begging her but she refused. I refused to let the girl go too as according to her, she was tired of staying at home doing nothing. One day, I returned from morning mass and the landlady started shouting that I go to morning masses everyday but live with a girl in my room. Her voice went far reaching neighboring houses. It was highly embarrassing but I just laughed all through. The worst was when my friends searching for an accommodation came to stay with me while they continue with their search. The woman confronted them in my absence to leave her house but one told her that we were all brothers and they will be staying with me. I returned home and found the woman crying and calling her ancestors to help fight for her that I want to chase her out from her house. I met her and she quickly gave me back my rent to leave her house. I had to calm her down and talk to her. The drama continued till my graduation as I got many visitors (mainly female friends and sisters ) who attracted her attention. I never blamed her though, because she was limited to her environment. Still love her (Mama as I fondly called her) and must visit whenever I visit the school.
Some people sef.
So because you brought a girl to your house. It now became a bad thing

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2020
dep07:
Let me share mine.
I had a landlady who was bent on frustrating the life of her tenants .She doesn't stay in the compound but comes as early as 7am to start selling water. She will tell you the time to switch on the light at the corridor and time to switch it off in the morning, you dare not forget oo. Meanwhile you are the one that bought the bulb and also no outstanding light bill.
This kept happening,one morning she came unfortunately I haven't switched off the light,there was nothing she didn't tell me.it was much that I was forced to respond ,she was shocked that I could reply her.After that day,she stopped bothering my life until I left that house.
Thats landladies for you. They are very harsh. Had an Experience With one also

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:30pm On Jun 09, 2020
LuQuLuQu:
All landlords/ladies are shylocks... That's just my summation
Very true

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:33pm On Jun 09, 2020
ikemesit4477:
Hahahahaha. You story is kinda funny
Can u imagine, she didnt know you and she used your foodstuff. I wonder the kind of audacity Landlords and ladies have, they think since you are under them they can do anything they want.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:35pm On Jun 09, 2020
Vyzz:
angry
Care to share Your Experience
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Dpsychologist: 3:35pm On Jun 09, 2020
Haywhymido:
e be things o
Care to share Your Experience?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by ikemesit4477: 3:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dpsychologist:

Hahahahaha. You story is kinda funny
Can u imagine, she didnt know you and she used your foodstuff. I wonder the kind of audacity Landlords and ladies have, they think since you are under them they can do anything they want.
grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by konkonbilo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
I just rented a flat last week, didn't know that they put on water only once a day and the water finishes after 30min or 1hr the most. I'm really angry now because have paid and packed in after suffering searching for house over a month and wasted alot of money on agent dues and transporting different agent from one location to another. When I was showned the house they assured me there's water and it was locked from the back.. When I complained the landlady said I should go buy drum that even her uses drum for storage of water. Though the rooms of the house are big, that was what attracted me that atleast I could use for my work as well. But that baggage de disturb me and the gate is been locked so early.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by wunmi590(m): 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
cool
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by whytediamond(m): 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Paying with your money for an uncompleted building project when you want to move in ASAP is suicide. I had a nasty experience many years ago in Jos.

I don't want to say more.

15 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by alawi5k: 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Wanted to ease myself and my landlady was coming out from bathroom without cloth. The landlord gave me quit notice. The rest is history!

24 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by fitinwell: 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Brb
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by NaijaOlosho(f): 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2020
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by LandMann: 4:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
House Renting Tips

1. Avoid houses with only landlady. If the landlord is still alive in charge then good. If not, just search further.

2. If you like your privacy, then set boundaries from the onset. If you are always jumping into people's room then no-one will respect your privacy.

3. Don't owe rent at all. Negotiate before you move in. If it's two or three months rent you can pay at once, make it clear and pay when due to keep your respect and avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

4. As for those who pay yearly rent, I salute you. Perhaps you don't yet know the time value of money.

34 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? by Enoch07: 4:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
we landlords are not all bad, some of us are caring infact.

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cost Of 4 Flats Of 2 Bedroom. / Building Collapses In Mushin, Lagos; Four Confirmed Dead / Satin paint not available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.