Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg (5105 Views)

Jonathan Caused Naira Depreciation, Says FG / Abba Moro Says FG Will Soon Introduce E-Prison System / Why The North Lags Behind In All Sectors — Dalung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by komek(m): 8:06am On Sep 10, 2011
Can u imagine some pple's thinking, because food is cheaper in the north,for that u r developed. This is exactly what FG meant by lagging behind. Even ur brains are lagging behind. U r lagging behind in everytin called development. I stayed in the north. As for the South Easterners,they are trooping 2 d north 2 improve ur underdeveloped brains.
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by hardywaltz(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2011
Una dey make me laff for this NL; argue all u want but the truth can't be changed, the North if far far behind in all spheres of life. I have been to virtually all the states in Nigeria and duh poverty is prevailing in all states the Northern region is something else, but I later discovered that ova there they don't see it as abject poverty rather they see it as a normal way of live (due to their simple nature), u will neva see a Northerner building or owning a house in the South they will rather squat in those their filthy hausa qtrs but u see their Southern counterpart erecting Mansion, buying or renting shops' renting livable apartment in Northern cities, most Northerners u find here in the south don't add any economic value to there; they are mostly shoe menders, cattle sellers; night watch, unskilled labour, beggars or street urchins etc; I asked my cousins who have all returned from the Northern part why they went their in the 1st place to do business and I got the same answer - theirs no much competition ova their, their ova head cost is lower, the people can do it themselves so help them do it for a fee etc.
When u come to education; not too long ago;(sometime in 2000s) during Poly Jamb exams in Sokoto State they were on 3 students sitting 4 the exams whereas in states like Imo; Delta; Anambra were over flowing with students. In EVERY higher institution of learning in Nigeria u have a high IGBO and Delta students population whereas u can hardly find Northerners in state higher institutions in the south. We could go on and on but the simple truth remains the same the North is so so backward (esp NE and NW).
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by LRNZH(m): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2011
I am torn between a releasing a guffaw and breaking a tear.

You guys stupefy me!

Please where is developed in Nigera? Please!
The FG is pitting us against one another with these statements.

The North, likewise the South of Nigeria have their peculiar problems.
We are supposed to be holding leadership responsible in our various regions instead of comparing amongst ourselves.

Southern Nigeria has crowded cities with no amenities, no jobs, insecurity, high cost of living etc.
Northern Nigeria is suffering from fundamentalism and a general lack of awareness, lack of economic growth since religious crisis began in the 80s and 90s etc

What we have is a Nigerian problem. We are all suffering, forget North or South.
We and especially our leadership have failed ourselves.

It is like two people involved in a car accident and one who lost an arm is making jest of the other who lost his leg.
They're both losers.

Both Northern and Southern Nigeria are underdeveloped. Period.
Go figure.

Now what are the solutions?
It does not matter if we want to remain as one country or not.
We will only go our seperate ways with our regional problems that have to be fixed anyways.

No. 1 Stop Corruption! Stop Corruption! Stop Corruption!
No. 2 Instead of the SWF, the monies should be used to improve three very important pillars of our development namely:
        a. Power generation
        b. Functional Refineries
        c. Truly functional Ajaokuta (and other Steel mills)
No. 3 Promote Agriculture especially! And other non-oil sectors (manufacturing, SMEs) to provide employment and income.
No. 4 Education system in this country needs to be revamped even if it means bringing back Europeans educationists.
No. 5 Infrastructural development can come later (and it mustn't be handled by the governments per se)

Other things like health care, security will follow if we get our fundamentals right.
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by Dede1(m): 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2011
Yeske!:

I would want to rate you an intellectual but your post is stating otherwise, comparing northern and southern Nigeria is ludicrous even a Non-Nigerian who had never visited Nigeria would know better and don't you think variables like literacy rate, poverty rate, access to basic health facilities, economic activity etc. are better factors determing a good standard of living and not merely a federal parastatal? Ol'boy you don fall my hand

I really do not care how you rate me. However, I had really wanted to view the term “development” in a trivial manner with respect to all sections of Nigeria but reality seems to dictate otherwise.

There is general misunderstanding of certain words Nigerians tend to employ generously to connote situation far from the actual meaning of the word. For example, literacy or illiteracy, word that has difference meaning from its usage.

If anybody could read or write, the person is literate. Note, it did not say if anybody could read or write only in English language. There are more literates in northern region than in southern Nigeria because majority of northerners could read and write in either Arabic, Hausa, Fulfulde or English.

The northern region of Nigeria can not possibly have higher poverty rate than southern region of Nigeria when economic policies of the Nigeria since independence have been determined by majority of leaders from northern region who had made sure that localization of everything that leverages economic growth is situated in the northern region. This "lag behind" crap is the same conniving trick that initially saw quota system in education and military.

What nonsensical access to basic health facilities in southern region are you talking about? Thousands of people die in southern region of Nigeria for lack of basic healthcare needs as they do in northern region.

What constitutes economic activity? I must categorically state besides seaport, northern region of Nigeria has more government sponsored, at any level, factors that engender economic activities than southern region of Nigeria.

From the biggest Crude oil refinery in Africa, Military installations including advance staff colleges, International airports, Motor vehicle assembly plants, Irrigational dams, Hydro-electric dams, Food processing industries, Agriculture, Mining industries, University teaching hospitals to institution of higher learnings, northern region trumps southern region. Please forget about the individual achievements and entrepreneurships which may tilt to southern region of Nigeria, northern region does not lag behind in any human endeavor in cesspit called Nigeria.   

Nigerians should not be fooled with strict adherence to tradition and culture by northerners as oppose to southerners. Appearance is notoriously deceptive.
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by dumodust(m): 7:00pm On Sep 10, 2011
alj_harem:

my brother don't insult a WHOLE ETHNIC GROUP

leave chino in his dream land to think the north is underdeveloped.

what is bad is to add a region or ethnic group together because it is only some of them that think like animals not all so join everyone to it is a wrong thing to do

You know Alj harem, considering the old you, I've been impressed at your recent comments and how you've freed yourself from frank ethnic comments, kudos
, but frankly let's face it, the far north has a problem with literacy. Ex-gov sheriff once boasted that criticizing him on nwespaper pages would't work, 90 something percent of his people can't read according to him
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by pinkrex(m): 9:56am On Sep 12, 2011
dumodust:

You know Alj harem, considering the old you, I've been impressed at your recent comments and how you've freed yourself from frank ethnic comments, kudos
, but frankly let's face it, the far north has a problem with literacy. Ex-gov sheriff once boasted that criticizing him on nwespaper pages would't work, 90 something percent of his people can't read according to him

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by ak47mann(m): 11:11am On Sep 12, 2011
dumodust:

grin grin grin
Re: North Lags Behind In Dev,says Fg by Nadanbata: 11:29pm On Dec 13, 2011
im 100% sure some these guys commenting have never ever been to the North. Go ask your own brothers up there how dey :p

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Generate 3000 Megawatts In Two Years- This Day News / A Bill Seeking To Upgrade Sharia Law Across Nigeria Passed Second Reading / Is Seun Looking Like Sen. Bokola Saraki?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.