Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare (1431 Views)

UK To Send Long-range Rocket Artillery To Ukraine Despite Russian Threats. / UK And Germany Won’t Send Tanks To Ukraine / America's B-52 Long-Range Bombers Arrive In UK As Russia Tensions Remain High (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Vl3ly: 8:16am On Feb 14, 2023
The Biden administration has given its Ukrainian counterparts another reason for not sending them much-wanted long-range missiles: The U.S. is concerned it wouldn’t have enough for itself.

In recent meetings at the Pentagon, U.S. officials told Kyiv’s representatives that it doesn’t have any Army Tactical Missile Systems to spare, according to four people with knowledge of the talks. Transferring ATACMS to the battlefield in eastern Europe would dwindle America’s stockpiles and harm the U.S. military’s readiness for a future fight, the people said.

That worry, along with the administration’s existing concern that Ukraine would use the 190-mile range missiles to attack deep inside Russian territory and cross what the Kremlin has said is a red line, is why the U.S. isn’t shipping ATACMS to the frontlines any time soon.

The Pentagon’s assessment of its stockpiles is informed in part by how many weapons and munitions planners think they might need to confront an enemy. Those plans have not been significantly revised since the start of the war in Ukraine, and have not recalibrated what the stockpiles the U.S. might need in reserve to face a weakened Russia, or account for the fact that Ukraine is essentially fighting that war right now.

One of the reasons the military is hesitant to send the ATACMS is due to a desire to maintain a certain level of munitions in U.S. stockpiles, said one U.S. official, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military calculations.

“With any package, we always consider our readiness and our own stocks while providing Ukraine what it needs on the battlefield,” said a senior DoD official. “There are other ways of providing Ukraine with the capabilities it needs to strike the targets.”

Laura Cooper, the Pentagon’s top policy official for Russia, Ukraine and Eurasia issues, said in a recent interview that “with every single capability that we provide, whether you’re talking, you know, HIMARS or you’re talking a particular kind of missile or ammunition, we’re always looking at the availability of our stocks, we’re looking at production considerations, and so that’s true of every capability, and we make decisions accordingly.”

Lockheed Martin has produced about 4,000 ATACMS in various configurations over the past two decades. Some of those missiles have been sold to allied nations, which bought the missile for their own multiple rocket launcher systems. Around 600 were fired by U.S. forces in combat during the Persian Gulf War and the Iraq War.

One workaround being considered by Kyiv is to ask for Washington’s approval to buy ATACMS from an allied country that operates the weapon, using military financing from the United States, according to one of the people familiar with the discussions. The list of ATACMS users includes South Korea, Poland, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Qatar and Bahrain.

The other issue over sending ATACMS — that it’s too aggressive a move by Biden’s team — remains. But Ukrainian officials have heard such arguments about other weapons before, only for the Biden administration to reverse course and send artillery, missile defenses and tanks.

Despite Washington’s reservations, Ukraine continues to push for more advanced weapons, with ATACMS typically at the top of the list.

“Ukraine needs long-range missiles,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a January video address to the Ukrainian people, “to deprive the occupier of the opportunity to place its missile launchers somewhere far from the front line and destroy Ukrainian cities.”
On Tuesday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Joint Chiefs Chair Gen. Mark Milley will be in Brussels to host the ninth meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, a monthly gathering of 50 nations that will discuss what new military support they can provide Ukraine. Kyiv is planning a spring and summer offensive to counter Russia’s assaults in the Donbas and Moscow’s drone and missile campaign against civilian targets.

One person close to the Ukrainian government said that Kyiv doesn’t anticipate any new weapons in the assistance package Austin will announce this week. The drawdowns from existing stocks and contracts for new weapons won’t include ATACMS or F-16 warplanes, but will focus on ammunition, munitions, air defense and spare parts.

Whatever the U.S. package — and other pledges by partner nations — Ukraine is looking for more secrecy when those governments announce that assistance.

Officials in Kyiv are growing concerned that some of the more detailed lists coming out of Washington and elsewhere could risk providing too much information to their Russian foes, who can prepare defenses or countermeasures if they know what they’ll be facing, according to one of the people.

Zelenskyy alluded to those growing concerns on Thursday in Brussels when he met with European Union leaders to talk about what he needs this year and beyond.

Fresh off a successful trip to London where he met with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who pledged to help train Ukrainian pilots to fly NATO fighter jets, Zelenskyy said “we have moved towards the solutions concerning the long-range missiles and the training of our pilots… Also there are certain agreements which are not public but are positive. When these items will happen, our state will know this, but I don’t want to prepare the Russian Federation.”

The U.S. and allies have long maintained some element of mystery over some capabilities sent to Ukraine, cloaking some military aid under vague catchall categories such as rocket artillery or drones that could mean any number of things.

But the U.S. has also done more than most countries to announce the amount and nature of its donations and defense contracts proposed with Ukraine, as the Biden administration tries to show its commitment to Kyiv.

Others, such as Finland, Sweden, Spain and Canada, are more vague, and generally decline to list most of the specific equipment, weapons and munitions they provide.

The desire for more secrecy can be seen as a difficult request for some countries that are eager to show how deep their support for Ukraine goes, especially when that support can also mean American military financing to replace stocks in later years. At Thursday’s EU summit, Zelenskyy formally asked Slovakian Prime Minister Eduard Heger to transfer some of his country’s MiG-29 fighter planes to Ukraine.

On Friday, Heger said he was ready to start talks on the potential transfer. “The Ukrainian president asked me to deliver the MiGs. Now, because this official request has come, the process of negotiations can be started,” Heger said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2023/02/13/u-s-wont-send-long-range-missiles-ukraine-00082652
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by HigherEd: 8:29am On Feb 14, 2023
Siwisheswereesh:
Pro-Putin l*natics should rest abeg. smiley

Russia is not making any headway in this war and where they struggle to it at great personnel cost - a temporary pyrrhic victory - not worth it at all. embarassed

Not worth it at all.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Siwisheswereesh: 8:29am On Feb 14, 2023

Russia is not making any headway in this war and where they struggle to it at great personnel cost - a temporary pyrrhic victory - not worth it at all. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Adjovi: 8:48am On Feb 14, 2023
In this war, NATO led by the USA calculated wrongly after Russia has won in Ukraine, it will take a long time before the USA will have global influence outside Europe again.

Russia has shown and his showing everyone how to do it and they are doing it greatly. Like one of the European leaders said, "Russia is learning and they are doing it pretty fast" Ukraine will be destroyed sadly. It's just a simple something. Don't join na be neutral and do your business simple.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Vl3ly: 9:13am On Feb 14, 2023
Siwisheswereesh:

you funny,bahkmut is partially encircled hope you know that

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Siwisheswereesh: 9:15am On Feb 14, 2023
Vl3ly:

I have been hearing that now for past one month embarassed

The encirclement never ends cheesy
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Flora2Sweet: 9:15am On Feb 14, 2023
US pushed Ukraine into this mess.. now they're backing off , so sad..

Moral lesson:
Don't ever let someone decide for you..think first ..
You check the Advantage n Disadvantage..

US made Ukraine think they are on their side...
Now see

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Karnice600: 9:55am On Feb 14, 2023
Adjovi:
In this war, NATO led by the USA calculated wrongly after Russia has won in Ukraine, it will take a long time before the USA will have global influence outside Europe again.

Russia has shown and his showing everyone how to do it and they are doing it greatly. Like one of the European leaders said, "Russia is learning and they are doing it pretty fast" Ukraine will be destroyed sadly. It's just a simple something. Don't join na be neutral and do your business simple.

Ode

1 Like

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Karnice600: 10:02am On Feb 14, 2023
Flora2Sweet:

Moral lesson:

Now see

Do you even know the shape of the Nigerian map and where to find it on the African map?

I'll advice you to start with those little assignment. Better than just floating senselessly in a strange space you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Flora2Sweet: 10:05am On Feb 14, 2023
Pls help me locate it.... cus na ur papa get the space...
Some people won't just read and pass... are u an American or a Ukrainian...

I call ur name ..

Karnice600:

Do you even know the shape of the Nigerian map and where to find it on the African map?

I'll advice you to start with those little assignment. Better than just floating senselessly in a strange space you know nothing about.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Masterviolence: 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2023
But they said they'll support the Ukrainians at all cost.

So the support is still limited grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Vl3ly: 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2023
Siwisheswereesh:

I have been hearing that now for past one month embarassed

The encirclement never ends cheesy
yes!
Russia is not rushing

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Slymking: 2:45pm On Feb 14, 2023
Adjovi:

rest, this kind of news isn't for your type, you showing lots of ignorance here try do much of research you hear me? This is a typical troll from u having zero knowledge about international affairs.
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by seunny4lif(m): 2:51pm On Feb 14, 2023
Russia has begun deploying tactical nuclear weapon-armed vessels in the Baltic Sea for the first time in the last 30 years — POLITICO, citing the Norwegian Intelligence Service

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Slymking: 2:52pm On Feb 14, 2023
Masterviolence:
But the said they'll support the Ukrainians at all cost.

So the support is still limited grin

no sir, if you've been following the war you would know this is just a media talk to deceive the Russians they would send all what they need but first say 'no' that what they first say just to make the ruskys think they are limited it works on you, tanks are coming in with some other heavy weapons so most definitely jets too must follow because in modern warfare tanks without air support is useless which the US and the allies know so it's step by step and calculated moves in order to slow down escalation which would never happen
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Masterviolence: 3:10pm On Feb 14, 2023
Slymking:
no sir, if you've been following the war you would know this is just a media talk to deceive the Russians they would send all what they need but first say 'no' that what they first say just to make the ruskys think they are limited it works on you, tanks are coming in with some other heavy weapons so most definitely jets too must follow because in modern warfare tanks without air support is useless which the US and the allies know so it's step by step and calculated moves in order to slow down escalation which would never happen

Although what I meant above
was a sarcasm towards the headline.

What you're trying to tell me is that the news is to deceive people, if that's what you mean then I agree with you because you're right.

My friend I have a deep understanding in this field and also the war in Ukraine.
Everytime the west proposes to send armaments to Ukraine they use the media to deceive the gullible ones by putting up a debate about sending it or not, but in reality the weapons are already on their way to Ukraine.

Let me give a more recent example, which involves sending battle tanks to Ukraine.
While the media was deceiving people about Germany chancellor telling Poland not to send the leopard 2s to Ukraine and also debating it with the u.s on the media whether to send it or not.
Videos came out a week before those dramatic event where leopard 2s are already loaded up on trains designed to transport them to Ukraine.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Otobong3374(m): 3:11pm On Feb 14, 2023
Vl3ly:
Can You Live In Babkmut?? Do You Know Living In Babkmut Is A Desertrous To Humanity?? Go Closer Partially To Russian Encircled Forces And Aks About Their Lives, I Will Know That War Is Unprofitable To Mankind No Matter How Strong Your Sovereign Is.
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Adjovi: 3:13pm On Feb 14, 2023
Slymking:
rest, this kind of news isn't for your type, you showing lots of ignorance here try do much of research you hear me? This is a typical troll from u having zero knowledge about international affairs.

Disproof any of my claims and stop blabbing
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 14, 2023
Otobong3374:
Can You Live In Babkmut?? Do You Know Living In Babkmut Is A Desertrous To Humanity?? Go Closer Partially To Russian Encircled Forces And Aks About Their Lives, I Will Know That War Is Unprofitable To Mankind No Matter How Strong Your Sovereign Is.

The Russians returned 20 trucks filled with dead Ukrainian soldiers in Soledar. Imagine this happening times 2 in Backmut. I will laugh so hard.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by ariesbull: 4:48pm On Feb 14, 2023
Siwisheswereesh:

you must be a bitter soul..always cursing

You were raised badly

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Siwisheswereesh: 5:14pm On Feb 14, 2023
ariesbull:
you must be a bitter soul..always cursing

You were raised badly

Shut up! angry
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Otobong3374(m): 8:23pm On Feb 14, 2023
atmy1:

The Russians returned 20 trucks filled with dead Ukrainian soldiers in Soledar. Imagine this happening times 2 in Backmut. I will laugh so hard.
Social Media Is Deceiving You, But If You Don't Want To Be Deceived By Social Media Go To Ukraine. I Went To Ukraine Two Weeks A Go For Inspection Concerning This War. And I Did Thorough Investigation To See The Impart Of Russian Soldiers & Ukrainian Soldiers. But When You Take A Look At The Russian Aggressive Marginalization You Will Discover That Russian Soldiers Are Targeting On The Ukrainian Infrastructures While Ukrainian Soldiers Are Targeting On Russian Soldiers. During My Investigation I Discovered Thousand Of Mass Distruction ThIs War Has Generated. Russia & Ukraine Have Killed Thousand Of Souls Which Could Not Be Numbered, But The Worst Part Of It In This Aggressive War Is Russia Has Losed So Many Tanks & Men Than Ukraine. But My Question Is, Who Will Win This War? Is It Russia Or Ukraine?
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Otobong3374(m): 9:02pm On Feb 14, 2023
Flora2Sweet:

Moral lesson:

Now see
Your Sense Of Elaboration Cannot Disrupt Ukraine Obnoxious Or To Boycott From Attacking Russian Soldiers. If You Are Not Being Injected By Russian Contagious Infection You Would Have Seen The Russians Marginalizational Crime Being Committed In This Aggressive War, But Since Your Infected Brain Had Been Locked You Lack Ideological Sense That Suppose To Assist You To Understand Those Countries That Are In Supported Of Ukraine.
Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Vl3ly: 9:32pm On Feb 14, 2023
Otobong3374:
before we start quoting each other if have rule and regulations ooo which is ...I hate abusing or cursing

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2023
Otobong3374:
Social Media Is Deceiving You, But If You Don't Want To Be Deceived By Social Media Go To Ukraine. I Went To Ukraine Two Weeks A Go For Inspection Concerning This War. And I Did Thorough Investigation To See The Impart Of Russian Soldiers & Ukrainian Soldiers. But When You Take A Look At The Russian Aggressive Marginalization You Will Discover That Russian Soldiers Are Targeting On The Ukrainian Infrastructures While Ukrainian Soldiers Are Targeting On Russian Soldiers. During My Investigation I Discovered Thousand Of Mass Distruction ThIs War Has Generated. Russia & Ukraine Have Killed Thousand Of Souls Which Could Not Be Numbered, But The Worst Part Of It In This Aggressive War Is Russia Has Losed So Many Tanks & Men Than Ukraine. But My Question Is, Who Will Win This War? Is It Russia Or Ukraine?

Please post your photos with Ukrainian soldiers in the background before I can believe you have ever been in Ukraine. I have several friends who are students and professionals in Ukraine. I almost went there for a Masters in Solid state Physics and I am glad i didn't.

Ukraine has killed many Russian soldiers, yes. And it was because Russia was using a pacifist approach at the beginning of the war whilst Ukraine was digging deep with western weapons. But right now Russia has killed so many Ukraininan troops its like ration 5 to 1. I have seen tons of footages I am tired. Yet Ukraine continues to mobilise and throw more men in to defend places that are not even strategic.

The major evidence that Russia has been nice in this war is the low number of civillian casualties. Most wars have more civillian deaths than military. But in a war with over 200k combined military dead, a western official recently said over 9,000 Ukrainians have died. Please compare that to the first five months of US invasion of Iraq. Yet some stupid people will keep shouting Russia is evil.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Kingsnairaland(m): 5:02am On Feb 15, 2023
Russia destroyed all USA bomber planes in Vietnam with ordinary S-200 imagine what it will do with their jet planes in this new generation.

Mind you Ukraine won't even know the difference between USA planes and Russia own so both sides will just shoot at any thing flying

The future of warfare is drones and missiles not jet fighter.

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by ariesbull: 6:31am On Feb 15, 2023
Otobong3374:
yet Ukraine is loosing oblast after oblast

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by ariesbull: 6:36am On Feb 15, 2023
atmy1:

Please post your photos with Ukrainian soldiers in the background before I can believe you have ever been in Ukraine. I have several friends who are students and professionals in Ukraine. I almost went there for a Masters in Solid state Physics and I am glad i didn't.

Ukraine has killed many Russian soldiers, yes. And it was because Russia was using a pacifist approach at the beginning of the war whilst Ukraine was digging deep with western weapons. But right now Russia has killed so many Ukraininan troops its like ration 5 to 1. I have seen tons of footages I am tired. Yet Ukraine continues to mobilise and throw more men in to defend places that are not even strategic.

The major evidence that Russia has been nice in this war is the low number of civillian casualties. Most wars have more civillian deaths than military. But in a war with over 200k combined military dead, a western official recently said over 9,000 Ukrainians have died. Please compare that to the first five months of US invasion of Iraq. Yet some stupid people will keep shouting Russia is evil.

There is nothing left for Ukraine to mobilize presently... what they are doing is to mobilize the disabled and then ask oversea countries to deport the Ukrainian men living there

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 15, 2023
ariesbull:

There is nothing left for Ukraine to mobilize presently... what they are doing is to mobilize the disabled and then ask oversea countries to deport the Ukrainian men living there

There are videos of people being kidnapped off the streets as they struggle to escape. They are recruiting old, children and unfit people now. And they have asked western countries to start deporting all Ukrainians of fighting age. Meanwhile, mass resignations and removals in the govt. Arestovych, who used to be the spokesman of Zelensky, is now Pro-russian. I think Ukrainians will overthrow Zelensky before Russia does.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by ariesbull: 7:32am On Feb 15, 2023
atmy1:

There are videos of people being kidnapped off the streets as they struggle to escape. They are recruiting old, children and unfit people now. And they have asked western countries to start deporting all Ukrainians of fighting age. Meanwhile, mass resignations and removals in the govt. Arestovych, who used to be the spokesman of Zelensky, is now Pro-russian. I think Ukrainians will overthrow Zelensky before Russia does.
exactly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by paafin(m): 11:00am On Feb 16, 2023
Otobong3374:

This one said he went to Ukraine grin grin

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Tells Ukraine It Won’t Send Long-range Missiles Because It Has Few To Spare by Kingsnairaland(m): 10:16pm On Feb 16, 2023
paafin:

This one said he went to Ukraine grin grin
Lol.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ghana Begs EU For Money! / Egypt Is Building A New Capital City / Ultimatum Expired Russia Airfoce Moved In To Level Azovstal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.