Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment (675 Views)

Retired Customs Cg's Involvment In The Illegal Importation Of Arms / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / OPINION: Boko haram Bombing, Femi Needs To Resign If He Has Integrity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Jenifa1: 4:05am On Sep 12, 2011
The American CIA has been in Nigeria since June but Boko Haram attacks have continued on since then.
The US govt blames Al Queada for being the mastermind. But one Islamic leader has come out to attack Boko Haram as being masterminded by the US.

There isn't any evidence to suggest that Boko Haram is being co-opted by the US. In fact, there isn't much information out there at all about Boko Haram  to make any significant conclusions about the organization's leadership. The recent attacks on the UN HQ and the Boko Haram call to BBC suggests though that Boko Haram is no longer just a small Nigerian radical Islamic group. It has now taken on some international dimensions.
I do feel though that US intervention in this problem will transform this whole situation for better or for worse.

ex. GEJ and Nigerian govt has, in the past, seem to favor a solution based on reconciliation as they did with MEND. They had tried to appease Boko Haram.
with the US however, based on their previous histories, they are most likely going to promote a more aggressive response.
Like I said,it could be for better or for worse. I hope for better.

what is your take on the issue?  what is the role of the Nigerian govt? what is the role of the US govt in the matter?
Why is this boko haram problem getting so much out of hand?
Re: Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Beaf: 4:19am On Sep 12, 2011
Intellectually wretched.
Re: Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Jenifa1: 4:22am On Sep 12, 2011
write something longer than two words. ie explain why/ be constructive.
Re: Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Beaf: 4:38am On Sep 12, 2011
Its not like boko haram is in another country. They are right here with us, many have been killed and arrested and they are all Nigerians or from neighbouring countries. No Americans.
Why would the US get people to bomb the North? It is of no use to them.

But one Islamic leader has come out to attack Boko Haram as being masterminded by the US.

This dude is a dangerously stup!d fool.
The only reason the US is interested in Nigeria is oil and they are already getting it. They don't give the slightest phuck about any place outside the Niger Delta, unlike the British, they aren't even in the least bit bothered to site a consulate in the North; the place might not exist for all they care. So why would they go blowing up a place where they have zero interest?

Boko haram has changed US views of Nigeria in recent times though. They are a costly distraction from the US sole interest in the country, which is very simply the free flow of oil. Don't dare interrupt it if you aint from the ND and oppressed.

I am tempted to believe that after the bombing of the UN, if they as much as bomb another International building, then CIA hitmen and drones flying the Star Spangled Banner will begin creating man sized potholes were buildings used to be in the core-North.
If boko haram ever bombs anything in the South (100 times worse, in the Niger Delta), we could actually see American boots landing beyond Lokoja.

Boko haram has no bargaining chips with Nigeria, talkless of the US, so they can well phuck off.
Re: Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Jenifa1: 5:08am On Sep 12, 2011
Yea it's an extreme view. I don't believe that Boko Haram is a US plot either. but it is a very interesting opinion that was worth mentioning.

I am tempted to believe that after the bombing of the UN, if they as much as bomb another International building, then CIA hitmen and drones flying the Star Spangled Banner will begin creating man sized potholes were buildings used to be in the core-North.
If boko haram ever bombs anything in the South (100 times worse, in the Niger Delta), we could actually see American boots landing beyond Lokoja.

This is what I'm most frightened by. Like I said, US intervention is for better or for worse.
because oil interest most often times runs contrary to Nigerian interest.  lipsrsealed

to me, the best way to solve the problem is to reduce the whole "Islam" vs "the rest of us" rhetoric that the US usually tries to promote. because that only fuels anger and hate esp in a country like ours where we are actually living side by side with the Muslims. If there is a way to isolate the radicals by appealing to the moderates and the rest of the north that would be great.
ex the initiative to build schools in the north is a good one.

I don't know what the US scheme is but I just hope that they don't make things worse for Nigeria just because they want their oil.
Re: Opinion: Boko Haram And U.S Involvment by Beaf: 5:23am On Sep 12, 2011
Jenifa_:

This is what I'm most frightened by. Like I said, US intervention is for better or for worse.
because oil interest most often times runs contrary to Nigerian interest.  lipsrsealed

to me, the best way to solve the problem is to reduce the whole "Islam" vs "the rest of us" rhetoric that the US usually tries to promote. because that only fuels anger and hate esp in a country like ours where we are actually living side by side with the Muslims. If there is a way to isolate the radicals by appealing to the moderates and the rest of the north that would be great.
ex the initiative to build schools in the north is a good one.

I don't know what the US scheme is but I just hope that they don't make things worse for Nigeria just because they want their oil.

Sis, if the US ever intervenes, it would be with the objective of keeping Nigeria one and overseeing the restructuring of the country toward true federalism. Thats my hunch.
The reason I think so is that they cannot afford to have a very poor core-Northern country that is riven with extremism as neighbour to an oil rich one (another "Arab-Israel" situation). Even worse, they would not wish to see al qaeda take root in W Africa, so we might see them propping Southerners up as Nigeria's rulers to ensure that extremism never takes root. Yes, it will be good for some and others might feel oppressed initially.

What is certain about any US intervention is that it would not be the whole country fighting an invader, rather, it would be a war to pacify the core-North. The template has already been created and tested successfully in Libya; everyone from the Middle Belt downwards will fight with the US providing air power.

The scenario's above are not something we wish for, but they become more possible with each new bomb.

(1) (Reply)

Intelligence Failure: Only Graduates Should Be Dpos, Top Officers - Olubolade / Youths Storm Nddc Office, Accuse Anyim Of Sabotage / Under Gov Chime, Enugu Becoming A Safe, Secure, Business Tourism Mecca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.