Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,393 members, 7,836,581 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele (28981 Views)

Tech Hubs: Anambra Senator Nwoye Vs Lagos Senator Abiru (Pictures) / PDP's Control Shaky, As SDP Set To Create Upset In Bayelsa, Rivers And Delta / Why Peter Obi May Become Nigeria’s President By Default - Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Racoon(m): 5:20am On Feb 20, 2023
Senator Ayodele Arise, chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in this interview with TAIWO AMODU, x-rays the chances of the presidential candidates of the predominant political parties ahead the general election, saying the candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi will cause a stir in Lagos State, the stronghold of APC standard bearer, Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Excerpts:

A lot of stakeholders have expressed concern over the Fbruary 10 deadline for the new Naira policy by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), describing it as a good policy hampered by poor implementation. The Supreme Court also gave a restraining Order asking the CBN to halt its deadline. What’s your take on the whole scenario?

I think it’s a very welcome development. The Supreme Court intervened because it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that there is peace and order in the nation. A lot of people are walking about with a lot of anger. A little thing can trigger unexpected consequences.

And this currency thing has festered for weeks. We’ve seen the effect, we’ve seen the consequences of lack of good planning, and ordinarily should not have required the Supreme Court to intervene for this policy to have been changed. Having said that, it is the prerogative of the CBN to change currencies, but it’s not part of the Act; everything has a procedure.

There is a procedure for changing currency. It is always good for us to learn from other climes. I have lived in America now for over 40 years. They have changed their currency about twice, within the space of about 25 years and you will never know that any currency is being changed.

It is when you take your old currency to the bank, they will take it; the bank will give you the new currencies. There has never been a time when the Federal Reserve Bank in America would actually say they are banning a legal tender.

To change the currency is not a problem, but you now simultaneously say that you ban the old currency within 30 days without making adequate provision to give people money as they bring their monies into the bank.

Just imagine, if you keep your money in the branch of a bank and you go there and they start rationing the amount you can take, they don’t know your commitment and the bank gives you N5,000 today , another N5,000 tomorrow. Some ATMs were dispensing N1,000, whereas the CBN is saying you can dispense N20,000.

If the CBN says you can dispense N20,000 for somebody who probably brought N1 million, that can’t be acceptable because you can’t fail to honour the legal tender that the person brought to your bank It is his money.

If you say we must change the currency, yes, but the person who puts his money in the bank, you must give him full access to his money. It is good that we are trying to decree electronic banking in Nigeria, but we are trying to resolve one problem but creating multiple problems for the society.

You have to be on queue at the ATM for an average of two hours! How can you inflict such hardship on your people and you are now saying, please, bear with us! If the bank is going to change currency, they must have printed more than enough but you are now giving excuses and people are suffering.

People don’t have money in their pockets but they are expected to pay money at airport toll gates, Federal Government toll gates!

The presidential candidate of your party, Bola Tinubu has said he is the target of the naira policy. Even some of your governors have aligned with him on this and the Federal Government has attempted to deny that, but hasn’t succeeded in convincing Nigerians. Do you also share that view?

Well, let me say it the way I see it. Even if that was not the intention of the policy, it is not rocket science for us to see who will be affected most by this policy.

We were here in 2018/2019 when we were campaigning for the second term of our president, what was going on was people like (Yemi) Osinbajo going into markets, going into every state doing market money (trader-moni) to relieve the burden and the pains on the people, to show that this government cares.

So if the same government now says we have about two weeks to our election and they now say they want to visit hardship on the people, so do you think that the average man on the street would like APC as a party when you have such a keen competition?

So, it might not be the original intention or their purpose, but that is what we’re seeing on the streets. People are angry. When you want to go to an election, you don’t create an atmosphere that will bring so much anger to people on the street.

The everyday person who’s going to vote, they have forgotten all the good things that APC did in the past. They’re only going to remain with this knowledge of what have been visited upon them.

So, if Asiwaju says it is targeted at him, he’s speaking correctly, because we have seen other elections in this country. When we are doing a presidential election, apart from the fact that you continue to say that the person has done well, you try to ensure that people are comfortable with your party.

Even PDP was saying then that we were bribing the market women, despite the fact that that policy already enjoyed the buy in of government. So, what is happening now any rational thinking person will understand that you can’t be in an election and be creating hardship for the people that will ultimately vote. A man that was on the ATM yesterday, was there this morning, and will still continue to be there.

There was a report in one of the national dailies that the APC is scheming to seek election postponement by four weeks. Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El -Rufai, is alleged to be the arrow head of this. Is that the plan of the party?

Let me put it this way: believe we read today that INEC has gone to meet (Godwin) Emefiele that he doesn’t have money to prosecute this election. What do you think would be the result? The result would certainly lead to postponement.

Invariably, some people have already foreseen where this thing is headed to. And when you look at it, on the day of the election, the drivers that will carry the ballot papers and all that, that will drive to the respective locations and distribute in all the polling units are cash-and-carry people.

And you don’t have cash to pay them. So, what would then happen? It would be a colossal disaster because some people will be ready for election and there would be no materials to vote. And you are mobilising people like graduates on national service as ad hoc staff; they need money to buy food at polling units.

Many of those rural areas don’t know what is Point of Sale; they aren’t even that educated. Even if the CBN now decides to be distributor of POS, how many places can it cover before the election?

So when you look at some of these, we are practitioners in society, I can relate at the highest echelon; I can relate with the people at the lowest echelon. Therefore, we know what is happening and we knew what could be the outcome of this policy.

At the moment, I saw that this is the outcome of this problem. We have to thank the likes of el-Rufai who could come out. Because you like him or hate him, you know he’s somebody that speaks truth to anybody. He will come out and talk and it took his intervention for people to understand there is a problem. You can’t cancel a currency, you can only change it.

Do you think President Muhammadu Buhari is doing enough to mitigate the crisis?

You all know that Buhari is trying to do everything possible to reduce corruption in the country. So, if you now put somebody as the governor of the CBN, he is the one the president will listen to.

Therefore, if he approaches Mr. President and says he wants to change the currency, people have stolen too much money, I want to be able to trace the fund, I need to surprise them, and he tells Mr. President that he doesn’t want people to have access to cash during the election, and he tells Mr.President, this should be one of your greatest legacies, the man will say go ahead because he has given the man valid reason.

Who won’t like it? May be it will require Buhari to consult another person or ask his CBN governor to set up a committee to find out what the policy looks like . We can’t really blame Mr. President.

A cabal is being alleged to be at work and everybody knows who the members are and every government always has its own cabal and that’s a group of people that are close to the president and who have access to him. They are the ones that whisper to him.

I don’t see a President who goes to the streets to take polls on what is going on. His lieutenants do that. For this cabal, since their candidate did not win, they might be apprehensive of the one that won the ticket that he might be vindictive. But from what I know about Tinubu he isn’t that kind of person.

With all of these challenges, APC is becoming increasingly unpopular with anti-people policies. Does your party and your candidate stand a chance of winning this election?

Yes, I believe, Asiwaju will win this election for many reasons. And I’ll tell you my thoughts. There are three candidates. Asiwaju seems to be the frontrunner. First because, he’s a member of the ruling party & second, the sentiments of the country is for a southern president.The other major party, which is PDP, has an existing structure and they have some governors that will certainly work with their states to seal victory for their candidates.

Their candidate is from the North and it is the general consensus that this thing, either written or unwritten, should be a rotation between the North and the South. now that President Buhari is from the North and he’s leaving, the logical thing to do to strengthen the trust among ourselves in this country, to create a sense of belonging that sometimes this thing is coming to our side is to vote for a southern candidate.
That is on the one side.

The second side is that all these things that is happening, the only place that I doubt 80 percent win is the South-West is probably Lagos. Not because of the factor of the PDP but because of the factor of (Peter) Obi. There are many Igbo people in Lagos.

There is probability that this election too we have a taint of tribal sentiment. So, just like the Yoruba will massively vote for Asiwaju, the Igbos will massively vote for Obi. But now remember that the northern governors came together to say this thing has to move to the South.

So, they’re already convinced that the work they want to do for the stability of this country is to work for a southern presidential candidate. And of the states in the north, APC controls the majority.

The northern governors, who are incumbent governors, who are coming back, running for second term, all of them in the APC, they will want to make sure they win their elections and there is no amount of deceit that will sway them from understanding the fact that if they play games with the presidential election, it will have a backlash on the governorship election.

So I’m convinced, like many other APC members that Asiwaju not only has worked harder than everyone of them, but he’s a lot more organised without being sentimental. And he has surrounded himself with people that can actually challenge his thoughts and give him advice.

So, you don’t see the election going into a second ballot?

What I see is that if it were a two-way win election, the possibility of a second ballot is very possible. But let us look at it. In the South-East, as committed as the average Igbo person is, they want to vote for Obi but, there are states in the South-East that will outright vote APC.

Imo is possible; Ebonyi is very possible, outright. But when you now look at 25 percent, they might still be a few places with surprises. One of the few places, if you look at Anambra that the governor is All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), it is not all of them that are happy that Obi left APGA, and I listened to Governor Charles Soludo who said he discussed with Obi to come and pick APGA presidential ticket before he joined Labour Party.

So some of them are not too happy and a few people that we know in Anambra who are very strong, I won’t be surprised if Obi loses in Anambra. These are realities on the ground.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/obi-may-create-upset-for-apc-in-lagos-but-arise/

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Racoon(m): 5:22am On Feb 20, 2023
From a derision of a non-existent party to party without structure, then now to a labour party that may cause upset for APC in Lagos.

Hehehe! The delusion they have lived with is now exposed. Reality is more clearer than ever before. Expect the worst.

228 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by VenExchangee: 5:23am On Feb 20, 2023
Ah ah
Too long to read

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Racoon(m): 5:26am On Feb 20, 2023
"What I see is that if it were a two-way win election, the possibility of a second ballot is very possible. But let us look at it. In the South-East, as committed as the average Igbo person is, they want to vote for Obi but, there are states in the South-East that will outright vote APC...." cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by dmz1: 5:30am On Feb 20, 2023
Racoon:
"What I see is that if it were a two-way win election, the possibility of a second ballot is very possible. But let us look at it. In the South-East, as committed as the average Igbo person is, they want to vote for Obi but, there are states in the South-East that will outright vote APC...." cheesy

Not true. Only some governors may want to support BAT, but with BIVAS it is out of their hands. The masses of south east are for OBI

269 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by slivertongue: 5:31am On Feb 20, 2023
NIGERIANS will create upset for APC in NIGERIA

198 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Pay4u: 5:32am On Feb 20, 2023
3 bedroom fully detached bungalow with 2 rooms BQ for sale in Efab Gwarinpa. ₦87m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aOvKpchQQ

7 Bedroom Fully Detached Duplex with 3 Rooms BQ for sale in Guzape. Visit website for more Abuja properties.

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Karemarealty288(m): 5:46am On Feb 20, 2023
He knows the truth but for politics sake will not say it......Lagos is lost already and Obi will win the Election. This election is between Obi (Nigerian Youths) and the corrupt feudal system.

229 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by atdscentofwater: 5:51am On Feb 20, 2023
few days to go

9 Likes

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Racoon(m): 5:53am On Feb 20, 2023
"....The only place that I doubt 80 percent win is the South-West is probably Lagos. Not because of the factor of the PDP but because of the factor of (Peter) Obi. There are many Igbo people in Lagos.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by OmoIjebuOde: 5:54am On Feb 20, 2023
We Yoruba Christians are not fools. We will not vote for Muslim-Muslim evil ticket.

Atiku or Obi is our choices to make.

138 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Jalinspy(f): 5:55am On Feb 20, 2023
Una lamentation just dey start. Tinubu and his urchins will be massively disgraced on Saturday.

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by AmotekunSW: 5:56am On Feb 20, 2023
Upset for Pdp, not APC.
Votes that should normally have gone to PDP are now going to Labour Party.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by princeryle1: 5:57am On Feb 20, 2023
Analysis
Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by AmotekunSW: 5:57am On Feb 20, 2023
Racoon:
What I see is that if it were a two-way win election, the possibility of a second ballot is very possible. But let us look at it. In the South-East, as committed as the average Igbo person is, they want to vote for Obi but, there are states in the South-East that will outright vote APC.

Atiku will win Anambra

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by unclejb2(m): 5:58am On Feb 20, 2023
Obi is coming and Tinubu knows

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Vickym1(f): 5:58am On Feb 20, 2023
Them never knew that PO will become their tormentor 😀

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by OkCornel(m): 5:59am On Feb 20, 2023
The worst APC can do is send touts to areas which are favorably disposed to voting other parties.
Problem is...Tinubu is unmarketable, and every sane Nigerian wants a change.

This is 2011 (Goodluck Jonathan) and 2015 (APC) playing itself all over again. The majority of Nigerians will eventually have their way.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by sslcrypt: 5:59am On Feb 20, 2023
Ok
Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by DonTattaglia: 5:59am On Feb 20, 2023
Of course, Obi will win 60% votes in a Lagos, the rest including Th1efnubu, Atiku et al will struggle for the remaining 40%.. The whole south east 98.5% is obedient.. Urchins from waste side can argue with their mother fuck1ng dead brains, I got no time to come back and read their stup1d replies..

77 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by toblosky(m): 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
The only APC chieftain that is near the truth

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Finestgurlie(f): 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
na we get lasgidi

urchins go see am on Saturday

do anyhow
Buhari army will butcher you that is if you escape mob fire from patriotic Nigerians Obidients

59 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Amspecial: 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
grin
Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Dicoomoba: 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
Karemarealty288:
He knows the truth but for politics sake will not say it......Lagos is lost already and Obi will win the Election. This election is between Obi (Nigerian Youths) and the corrupt feudal system.

How with this shallow crowed 😂

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by cliqtips: 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
I only wish PDP & LP can merge before for the forthcoming Gubernatorial election. They might collect Lagos from APC.

1 Like

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Chineduawka: 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
Don't see anything special here in the interview.. no one should masturbate on it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by livinbygrace: 6:00am On Feb 20, 2023
When Tinubu was the governor of Lagos ,Federal Government seized and starved Lagos of Funds ,yet he succeeded and now that he is contesting for President, another starving from Presidency.
There must be something special about this man .
It’s going to be 50:35:15 in Lagos Apc/Lp/Pdp

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Chineduawka: 6:01am On Feb 20, 2023
Vickym1:
Them never knew that PO will become their tormentor 😀

Keep masturbating on the little news.. it will shock you heavily

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by ebuk4real(m): 6:02am On Feb 20, 2023
cool
Five more days to go..

Obi we know. The others should rest abeg. We Yorubas, Igbo, Efiks, Hausas, Anang, Ijaw, Igala and all the wonderful tribes in Nigeria are solidly behind him. God bless PMB for allowing himself to be used by the Almighty...

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by DMerciful(m): 6:05am On Feb 20, 2023
Obi is on divine mandate. On Peter Obi will the new Nigeria be built and the gates of corruption, tribalism and criminality shall not prevail against him

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by gratiaeo(m): 6:05am On Feb 20, 2023
Racoon:
https://twitter.com/jamesterseer1/status/1627472830647394304?t=wKMEvowR-KgoAOLDa8UX7g&s=19
Re: Obi May Create Upset For APC In Lagos - Senator Ayodele by Nobody: 6:05am On Feb 20, 2023
Whoever read the novel should please summarize

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gumi's Response To Kukah's Speech At Yakowa's Funeral / Tinubu And Atiku In Closed-Door Meeting Over Buhari’s Victory / DSS' Attempt To Arrest Reno Omokri At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Fails

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.