Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,606 members, 7,851,066 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:01 PM

Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? (20189 Views)

Obi, Datti's Comments Didn't Violate Section 37 Of Criminal Code - Falana / Peter Obi: Another Unbelievable Phone Conversation Is Coming - Joe Igbokwe / NCC Denies Leaking Peter Obi's Phone Conversation With Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by ShaqFu: 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.
well someone once leaked the telephone call of Jonathan congratulating Buhari after results were being announced in the 2015 presidential election, nothing was done. Whoever leaked that phone call is walking free today, so I still wonder why people break the law with reckless abandon and nothing is seemingly done about it.

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
cheesy cheesy

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Samtob90(m): 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.

State has prerogative right once there is threat to national security. In such circumstances, the section of the law is suspended.
However, going ahead to publish such when there is no case in court is what I don't know.
However, such a thing is sometimes needed to put people on check on what they do or say especially when state security is needed

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Beegrace: 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2023
You really have time for them, even if the facts are laid down before them, they must surely blame their great grand father for what happened.
lhordspy:

Remember this same gazetteNGR released the Tinubu-CJN fake news few days back..

So can we both agree Labour party paid them to do that too?
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by homosapien(m): 5:38pm On Apr 02, 2023
mrvitalis:

Lol you guys are so scared you don't want to face obi in an election again ?? Lmfao

Bring Obi a million time in Nigeria presidential elections, he will continue to lule. obi is a political neophyte in Nigeria political terrain

4 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by KwuoteYourFada: 5:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.

Tueh!! Shame on you!!

Muslim Muslim ticket is the most inciting thing and most insulting thing anyone can do in Nigeria that is a multi religious hot pot!!

There's nothing legally wrong soliciting votes from oyedepo Sanwo olu did that

Many others did that too!

Everything is wrong with tapping people line!!

Who does that?!

Shame on you!
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by fortunateme: 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2023
Another dead propaganda. There was no wire tapping. The said journo is just a purveyor of Fake news. Have you seen the ai generated conversation if trump supporting ellu p?

Ihordspy
We know the root of this propaganda and it is from mandate thief that won't be sworn in.

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Image123(m): 5:46pm On Apr 02, 2023
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Coronavirus1: 5:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.
Shout up your smelling thing you call mouth

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by idealogical: 5:58pm On Apr 02, 2023
Wailing and crying over wiretapping is basically calling Obi a liar for denying the tape's authenticity.

So, which is which, and who is lying? You or Obi?
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 02, 2023
Everyday my phone is been tapped by people who keep talking to a lawyer I know nothing about. You would expect this technology to be in the hands of only law enforcement agent but it is in the hand of any tom , dick and harry
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by xevove2061: 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:
DSS has the right for national security.

Now on what grounds does the dss have to tap Obis phone. He is not under investigation or suspicion of committing a crime.

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by UNDFTD: 6:01pm On Apr 02, 2023
In the US, Federal law requires that you can NOT willy-nilly record your conversation with another person without the consent of the other party. However, some states require that all parties in the conversation MUST consent, while some other states require one party just like the Federal Statute. There are exceptions, however, to the rule:
• Law enforcement;
• Court order;
• Communication service providers, if the recording is necessary to deliver service, or protect property or rights;
• Surveillance activities under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of the US.

As for Nigeria, who knows, its law is as fluid as water and changes based on who is involved.

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by bmaster2000: 6:02pm On Apr 02, 2023
derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

The issue here is releasing lies

The phone conversation is FAKE.

It is fake but Kenneth Okowkwo spokesman for Obi the pandora confirm that it wasn't fake...

Zomneidiemt and their mumu mentality stinks

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Draslo(m): 6:04pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

Lol. Thank your stars you're in Nigeria. If you're in the US, there are chances the NSA is listening in on your calls if you're a person of interest..
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 02, 2023
Mumusaphire:
They need to sue d person

Sue people's gazette for what crime exactly? The reporter is an investigative journalist and he's mandated to raise alarm when he sees one, I think people's gazette reporter wanted to be famous as the one dat is central to the story otherwise he shouldn't have written his name fully on print in that article, like I said by, the reporter is only doing his job, there are so many cases where things like this has helped prevent national crisis

The Watergate scandal was reported by the independent newspaper even after Washington Post and many newspaper 📰 said it was fake

The Boston strangler identities were released by two female reporters working for a newspaper

This things happened and is good investigative journalism Is taking its rightful place in the society and in the political scene, is a good day to be alive

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Femmyfamous4u(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2023
xevove2061:

Now on what grounds does the dss have to tap Obis phone. He is not under investigation or suspicion of committing a crime.

It is discretional. Whomever the DSS feels may make calls that may undermine the national security

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by ezebunafo(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:
DSS has the right for national security.
yea right but DSS did not release this na.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by StJasper(m): 6:07pm On Apr 02, 2023
derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

Can you please stop taking that drug you always take 10 times daily?

Kenneth Okonkwo has confessed that the leaked audio is real.
Obidients need to change their drugs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by johnjose68: 6:08pm On Apr 02, 2023
derecho:

Okay daddy
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by bmaster2000: 6:09pm On Apr 02, 2023
All your fundamental human right has an exception.....

Tapping Obi's phones conversation can be termed legal depending on the whose authority concerns. Obi has approach court concerning election matter....and there are various investigation to be carried out while the cases is on going....Obi claimed that there wasn't rigging in southeast....by previous phone conversation...the investigation team could be able to discovered some of the security risk or moves he made behind scene....

But on a light mood....why will Obi be using such phone that can be easily tapped.....perhaps some of the Yahoo Yahoo boys just feel like testing their skill on Obi personal gadget ..perhaps his private gadget is not properly secure....

Evan the kidnapper is even wiser than Obi...because the security operative finds him difficult to be tracked .....yet obi the dullard can be easily tracked by ordinary Gazette Jornalist or Yahoo yahoo journalist....

Yes daddy

Yes daddy

Yes Daddy

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Stone03: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

Let me first of all correct your baseless and nonsensical definitions of Obi's campaign moves before going further to read the gibberish you spilled here. Obi did not make any religious political campaign that exploited our religious diversity as you claimed.

Your president elect went for Muslim Muslim ticket and to you it did not exploit our religious diversity, right?

Obi is a Christian and decided visiting men of God for prayers which is a normal thing. Which pulpit did Obi climb to campaign? Mention one.

Obi's strategy of visiting men of God is still far more sane and constitutional than Tinubu's vote buying and other manipulative practices he was caught in, which corrupt fellows like you upheld.

Nevertheless, we are still focused on the issues of a drug lord clinching the Presidential sit of a sane country like Nigeria. It can't happen!

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by truthfinder319: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
Ethnorellgious bigot. Can only be a governor in the land of the children of hate. Only stupid youths of ther regions foolishly wish Peter Obi to be a president.. The man lacks manners and carries only hatred in him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sermwell(m): 6:25pm On Apr 02, 2023
ThatFairGuy1:
How is it fake Please?

Tell us
Does phone recording also records the ringing part before conversation begins? Be smart abeg grin
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by windvane(m): 6:25pm On Apr 02, 2023
Nigeria na waaaaa!!!Even when the spokesman of LP came out to say the phone conversation is real and happened,LP followers still insists it is fake.......real definition of zombie syndrome

2 Likes

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by windvane(m): 6:27pm On Apr 02, 2023
Sermwell:

Does phone recording also records the ringing part before conversation begins? Be smart abeg grin
stop acting pained than the owner...LP spokesman already confirmed that it is real,so why defend nothing....

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by SenatePresdo(m): 6:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Relax, people's Gazette will soon release Tinubu's own.

They first released Obi's own to clear the coast for the main leak.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by SenatePresdo(m): 6:30pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

You sound so dumb, how was that a campaign? Was it your father he called?

Ontop person private communication.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by callthefred: 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:

Except Gazette is also protected by law. They are bound not to disclose their sources just like lawyers too. The fact is that Obi was careless. All politicians should expect their phones, offices, cars and even bedrooms to be bugged. This is a game for the mad people alone.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sermwell(m): 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Don't let these useless politicians think the masses are foolish!! Do you even need a tech person to tell you that recording is fake as hell?
(a) Do you record the initial rigging part before conversation begins?
(b) Which christian begins a phone conversation with..."in Jesus name"?
(c) "I assure you" is always pronounced as by the Hausas as "I ashuwa you".

I grew up in the north and I can tell you categorically that the person whose voice was used for Oyedepo's part is an Hausa person grin

Politicians don see us finish Sha cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tribunal Sacks Obinna Onwubuariri From House Of Representatives / DPR Discovers Illegal Petroleum Refineries In Kano / President Buhari Reacts To Egyptian Mosque Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.