Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,713 members, 7,851,440 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:21 PM

Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? (20198 Views)

Obi, Datti's Comments Didn't Violate Section 37 Of Criminal Code - Falana / Peter Obi: Another Unbelievable Phone Conversation Is Coming - Joe Igbokwe / NCC Denies Leaking Peter Obi's Phone Conversation With Oyedepo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Sleekfingers: 11:20pm On Apr 02, 2023
lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.

Then throw away your phone....

Let me tell you. The moment we started linking our NIN to our various numbers..... We have already sold our privacy to the government. .....
They can easily trace anyone,.making incitive comments etc. .......with so much ease
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by dionma: 11:20pm On Apr 02, 2023
Journalist are not required to disclose their source
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by DMerciful(m): 11:35pm On Apr 02, 2023
Private phone call is what you call campaign? What a joker!
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by 9japride(m): 12:17am On Apr 03, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

Kenneth Okonkwo ur Eluu P spokesperson already said the audio is true and not faked, why making up another lie and defèñding it now?
Yes daddy!!!
[color=#006600][/color]

By this week, I believe the matter will be addressed properly. It's only a mumu that doesn't know that those attacking Peter Obi are all religious fanatics practicing same religion spiced with acute tribalism. They are the ones giving their religion a bad name.

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by olisaEze(m): 12:33am On Apr 03, 2023
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage.

What could be more divisive in a multi religious secular country as Nigeria is like the Muslim Muslim ticket of the APC? How about "northerners can never vote for an Igbo man" said by Atiku & Kwankwaso, while campaigning in the most populous black nation in the world?? When a so called northern professor in defense of the Muslim Muslim ticket said that "it is better to vote a corrupt Muslim than an honest infidel," that statement wasn’t extreme enough for these people! Suddenly in the midst of their propaganda orgy, they now want us to focus more on the fake privacy violations of their worst nightmare. When the world is more concerned with the disenfranchisement of a whole nation! There appears to be no limit to these people’s hunger for power. No one with good intentions is ever this desperate!

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Chicastle: 1:22am On Apr 03, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Obi is worse than a religious fanatic and must be barred from our politics for life.

He will be disqualified for flouting the electoral act of campaigning on the basis of religion and campaigning on the eve of the election.
Check Buhari’s cabinets and come and retype this again Ewu

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by drololaaof: 1:45am On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy:
Maybe we should leave political sentiment asides. We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage. But the thing is no matter how interesting the latest finding is and no matter how fulfilling it is for we the progressives. I think it is time we start asking questions about the supposedly 'exclusive-findings' of gazetteNGR of recent. With this latest one clearly violating the section 37 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of N8geria which state that:

''The privacy of citizens, their homes, correspondence, telephone conversations and telegraphic communications is hereby guaranteed and protected.''

Even though i dont know how these things work entirely. But i have seen some crime movies (for example: TheWire, Sopranos, Power etc) where even the law enforcement agents/agency will have to acquire something like a court-warrant or court permission with enough reasons; a very convincing motives, to be able to secretly wiretap phonecalls of a criminal or any other person during investigation. You have to convince a judge to the fullest before the warrant or permission is granted. Failure to secure the warrant and going ahead to carry out the action make it illegal, a crime with serious consequences which also render the voice-conversation gotten from such unauthorised secret-wiretap inadmissible in court as an evidence.

I think the labour party camp should drag gazetteNGR to court and whoever published that voice conversation should be made to testify as to the real source of the wiretap under oath. Somebody need to start paying for these illegal acts carried out all in the name of investigative journalism. We cant keep operating as a lawless country.

Today it is Peter Obi, it can be anyone tomorrow. I don't even feel safe making phonecalls anymore.
Thank you for this post
It is now becoming clearer that the power that be is working against the opposition, who would have authorized the wire tapping to silence them?
Part of the conspiracy theory, yesterday it is those planning interim government, today it is leaked audio what is next we are waiting.

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by juman(m): 2:01am On Apr 03, 2023
They got the conversation from DSS.
Those politicians use their power wrongly.

Everybody should have right to their private talk.
Every time I have it in my mind, I have been listening to by somebody on the phone.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by alobright17(m): 2:42am On Apr 03, 2023
HIGHESTPOPORI:
And you voted a Muslim Muslim ticket,comedian
mumu man what at all is Muslim Muslim ? We Christians lives in countries where both from president to the least man in government is a Muslim yet we lives there comfortably without complaining. Some governors with Christian Christian like current Abia governor what good did there Christian Christian for us ?

Buhari Christians Muslim we are complaining of bad leadership OBASANJO Atiku we complained of hardship

Haba
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by zedegit: 3:48am On Apr 03, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

What is campaign? As a matter of fact, inec should have disqualified APC on their Muslim Muslim ticket which I know that Miyetti Allah would have started a war if it were Christian Christian ticket.

Those people are hypocrites. They will do what they know they can't take if it was done to them.

Yes Tinubu made it a religious war by floating Muslim Muslim ticket and not all war bring bloodshed.

We have cold wars too and wars that bring distrust and disunity.

You people should stop making a mountain out of that conversation.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Owoino: 4:09am On Apr 03, 2023
Wire tapping a suspected terrorist like Gringory Obi is very legal in Nigeria.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by grandstar(m): 4:16am On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy

Bros, the damage has been done

It's like cutting off someone's leg and asking if it's illegal.

It won't bring back the leg.

1 Like

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by walebliss(m): 6:00am On Apr 03, 2023
The phone conversationis fake but Tinubu is a drug lord is real. Awon werey
derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

The issue here is releasing lies

The phone conversation is FAKE.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by IfnobeGod20: 6:28am On Apr 03, 2023
Dialpad:
DSS can get access to all these.... they have all the tools ..
Is DSS an internet provider that they can get access to people conversation? DSS can only rely on internet provider to get such info. You guys should stop playing on the sensibility of people. DSS or any security arm have no such gadget to wiretap people conversation, they only rely on network provider.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Mamabugi(f): 6:41am On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy Thanks so much @author. So GazzetNg could actually leak a pjone conversation of Peter Obi and Pst Oyedepo but can not leak phone conversation of Kidnappers, Ipob, Bk boys, Ungun knonmen, and evill ppl plotting and killing ppl everyday in Nigeria. May God be our Help in this Nation. Amen

post=122239763:

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by IfnobeGod20: 6:42am On Apr 03, 2023
alobright17:
mumu man what at all is Muslim Muslim ? We Christians lives in countries where both from president to the least man in government is a Muslim yet we lives there comfortably without complaining. Some governors with Christian Christian like current Abia governor what good did there Christian Christian for us ?

Buhari Christians Muslim we are complaining of bad leadership OBASANJO Atiku we complained of hardship

Haba
Who now told you that Muslim-muslim candidates is the answer to the woes of the country? Are you invariably saying intelligence reside with only Muslim-muslim candidates? Please clarify your statement?
No religion without capable and cerebral people, that some set of people failed that doesn't mean all the people within that circle is a failure. You people are quick to mention states with Christian-Christian as a governor and a vice but forgotten that there are many states with Muslim-muslim governor and a vice. Please what are the wonderful thing done in Zamfara, Kebbi, Yobe, Jigawa with their Muslim-muslim governor and vice since 1999.
You guys should try and be reasonable even if it is for once. Bad leadership is bad leadership and is not because of we are having christian-muslim on the throne or vice versa.
The question now is, would muslims allow the Christian-Christian ticket in Nigeria? If APC and Tinubu could think muslims in the north won't vote for minority christian in the north if he chose one and you people corroborated him that the north would not vote christian minority north, this invariably mean, north would not allow any Christian-Christian candidates to scale through in Nigeria.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by alizma: 7:30am On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy:

You said nothing. Infact your opinion is more misleading than convincing.
It is not my opinion, that is the law. Please go to Google and read about derogation in law.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by alobright17(m): 8:22am On Apr 03, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

Who now told you that Muslim-muslim candidates is the answer to the woes of the country? Are you invariably saying intelligence reside with only Muslim-muslim candidates? Please clarify your statement?
No religion without capable and cerebral people, that some set of people failed that doesn't mean all the people within that circle is a failure. You people are quick to mention states with Christian-Christian as a governor and a vice but forgotten that there are many states with Muslim-muslim governor and a vice. Please what are the wonderful thing done in Zamfara, Kebbi, Yobe, Jigawa with their Muslim-muslim governor and vice since 1999.
You guys should try and be reasonable even if it is for once. Bad leadership is bad leadership and is not because of we are having christian-muslim on the throne or vice versa.
The question now is, would muslims allow the Christian-Christian ticket in Nigeria? If APC and Tinubu could think muslims in the north won't vote for minority christian in the north if he chose one and you people corroborated him that the north would not vote christian minority north, this invariably mean, north would not allow any Christian-Christian candidates to scale through in Nigeria.

YoSo you knew is all about competence yet you’re crying against Muslim Muslim ? I’m more of a Christian than you and I don’t see any reason to headache myself about Muslim Muslim since who rules the country doesn’t affect my faith .

Besides is Christianity a religion? Don’t be a Peter that was doing gra gra for Jesus who eventually told him to behave himself. Stop giving yourself unnecessary HBP over something you can’t do anything about. That’s how people like you was shouting Buhari wants to islamatize the country bla bla bla yet all na propaganda. Rest just rest yes give yourself a chill pill.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by HardBishop: 9:09am On Apr 03, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Just cos na Igbo man. Well eat God be our judge. But as far as igbos are sidelined, insulted, rejected.... NIGERIA can never be better. From 63 years of independence NOTHING to show for. God can't be mocked
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by emmykk(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
Obidient4Tinubu:
The audio is real.

Between Tinubu Muslim Muslim and Obi campaigning to Christian who officially more a religious bigot
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Missionaire: 9:53am On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy:

I respect you.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by incentive: 10:34am On Apr 03, 2023
Tinubu have the right to reject northern Christians and pick a fellow Muslim as running mate as a political strategy.

Tinubu have the right to be going from one Northern state to another donating rice, donating beans, donating millions, donating food for Ramadan, going to Mosques, videoing himself worshipping in Northern Mosques, picking Northern Muslim as VP, gallivanting the world with Muslims as his core campaign team members, denying and defending Fulani herdsmen attacks even to his fellow Yorubas, defending Ondo Church massacre as just ordinary attack just because he want core Northern Muslims to vote for him, and it is very okay to APC supporters of evil and some so called lily livered Nigerian Christians who don't know their faith.

Tinubu also have the right to ignore Christian supporters in the North during his campaign rallies to start reciting Muslim prayers as a campaign strategy to win core Northern Muslim votes and its perfectly okay to APC supporters of evil, but Peter Obi a Christian going to Churches to seek for prayer and support or calling his religious leader for prayer is a taboo. May God visit all you supporters of evil.

Despite the fact that Incumbent President Buhari is a Muslim, Senate President Muslim, CJN Muslim, ruling party chairman Muslim, Chief of Army staff Muslim, IG of Police Muslim, Head of DSS Muslim, INEC Chairman Muslim, Speaker of House Muslim, ruling party presidential candidate Muslim, ruling party running mate Muslim, Head of Nigerian Prisons Muslim, Customs Comptroller Muslim, Immigration Comptroller Muslim, Civil Defense boss Muslim.

Can Muslims accept this arrangement in Nigeria if all the aforementioned positions were occupied by Christians, let's say the truth, won't Muslims born down Nigeria?

APC declared Jihad in Nigeria but some Christians are still sleeping on a moving bike, eyes go soon clear.

Meanwhile, Peter Obi's so called leaked call with Bishop Oyedepo has no incriminating evidence other than a devout Christian calling on his religious leader for prayers and support. Or did you people expect Peter Obi to call Kano abi Sokoto Imams that never gave him a listening ear? In Christianity right from the Bible stories, Christians always relied on God even when going to battle. Kings always called on their Priests for special prayers before heading to a battlefield, so Peter Obi did amazingly and Daddy Oyedepo acted like a true spiritual leader he is as he continued to pray in the name of Jesus Christ throughout the call, Bishop Oyedepo even said in the so called call that all Nigerians have equal stake in Nigeria and that a sickling nation like Nigeria will require a strong and healthy personality,
Anyone whose source of wealth can not be verified should not have access to governance especially a dying country like Nigeria, so you see, where is the lie in what Oyedepo or Obi allegedly said if we assume to call to be real?

They have searched and searched Peter Obi thoroughly and found no single dirt, reason they are trying to distract Nigerians by trying hard to paint Peter Obi as Christian religious candidate to incite Muslims against supporting him.

Peter Obi won the election, if not why all these abracadabra after the election is over? Use your brain....Peter Obi won 2023 Presidential election clean and clear but APC ruling party used their power of incumbency to truncate it but lets watch and see what the supreme court will do even though many don't expect anything positive from a supreme court headed by one of the most corrupt judges in Nigeria
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by zaria133: 10:51am On Apr 03, 2023
Wire-tapping someone's private phone conversation without their consent is generally illegal in many jurisdictions. It can lead to severe legal consequences, including fines, imprisonment, and civil lawsuits. It is essential to respect other people's privacy. For more detail, click on what is not legal and read articles.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by nwetadinobi042(m): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2023
We all know Peter Obi made some extreme religious political moves during the presidential campaign period by manipulating, exploiting and exploring our religious diversity to his own advantage.
You aren't saying the truth, go and rewatch each and every of Peter's campaign especially in the North.

lhordspy:

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by JagabanBorgu: 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2023
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

By this week, I believe the matter will be addressed properly. It's only a mumu that doesn't know that those attacking Peter Obi are all religious fanatics practicing same religion spiced with acute tribalism. They are the ones giving their religion a bad name.
Obi is not attàckiñg others?
Is he not a religious fanatic?
Look at a post by an Obident in 2018.
Today he is selling Obi as a messiah because of trîbè and religîón.

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Samtob90(m): 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2023
lhordspy:

Brother. That is because the 'terrorist' phone line has been tapped not mine. And for someone to have tapped the terrorist phone line, you need court permission.

Tapping a terrorist phone-line without court warrant is illegal and if you ever nap the terrorist, then you have no evidence to present from the audio-conversation because it is unauthorised and rendering it inadmissible in court.
Once you are declared terrorist, your fundamental rights can't be guaranteed because court has declared you terrorist

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by 9japride(m): 3:06am On Apr 04, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

Obi is not attàckiñg others?
Is he not a religious fanatic?
Look at a post by an Obident in 2018.
Today he is selling Obi as a messiah because of trîbè and religîón.
[color=#006600][/color]

It's all propaganda. I only pity the ignorant ones that will fall for you guys deceit. Time will tell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by IfnobeGod20: 1:28pm On Apr 04, 2023
alobright17:

YoSo you knew is all about competence yet you’re crying against Muslim Muslim ? I’m more of a Christian than you and I don’t see any reason to headache myself about Muslim Muslim since who rules the country doesn’t affect my faith .

Besides is Christianity a religion? Don’t be a Peter that was doing gra gra for Jesus who eventually told him to behave himself. Stop giving yourself unnecessary HBP over something you can’t do anything about. That’s how people like you was shouting Buhari wants to islamatize the country bla bla bla yet all na propaganda. Rest just rest yes give yourself a chill pill.

The problem I have with some of you, when you are caught pants down, you always look for way of escape. You people were saying northern Muslims would not vote for minority christian in the north, meaning northern christians can never be president or vice till the world collapse. This invariably mean, Christian-Christian candidates will never fly if it comes to presidential election.
Now you're claiming it all about competence, are you now saying no competent christian in the whole north? They are all dullards. You guys should be sieving words before saying it because all of us are not dullards.
What you know cannot work, you would want others to buy into the opposite of what you don't want. God is seeing the hypocrisy of all of you.
Sorry, you even claimed you're more christian than me. Please do you know, that you now conclude you are more christian than me? The last time I checked christian living is not by mouth but living the kind of Christ. The Bible emphatically said, by their fruits we shall know them, not by their mouths.
You even went manufacturing what is not just to appear sensible. Better you cool down and stop gaslighting yourself unnecessarily because you know next to nothing about me. Go and search my 2015 and 2019 comments and you will discovered that you know nothing about me as I rightly said. I personally canvassed for Buhari and I am cog sure, you never. I became enemies to some of my associates because that was the right thing for me at that time. For you to now think everyone that go against the Muslim-muslim ticket is an enemy of Buhari or APC, makes you of low IQ. You know the number of people that left APC because of Muslim-muslim ticket because they see it as going against their ethical living. Same way no average muslim will ever support Christian-Christian candidates up north. That's just the fact and incontrovertible. They've made it clear that northern Muslims would not support minority christian for presidency.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Bringbackmandat: 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2023
derecho:
I don't care so long as what you leak is correct.Telcos record people's phone conversations.

The issue here is releasing lies

The phone conversation is FAKE.
you cannot build something on nothing. If you get your evidence in criminal way the court will not admit it. Even if the information is correct as far as you didn't follow the right path in obtaining that information your info will not be tenable in a court of law.
Re: Section 37: Is Wire-Tapping Someone's Private Phone Conversation Legal? by Bringbackmandat: 2:11pm On Apr 04, 2023
ThatFairGuy1:
So you'll know by listening that it's fake when Al has already been used to fact-check it, Kenneth okonkwo has confirmed it and Obi/PST Oyedepo has NEVER denied it?

when did you believe Kenneth okonkwo last? The same Kenneth said tinubu stole the election, why didn't you believe that one?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kenneth Okonkwo: "Buhari Does Not Induce Anybody With Corruption" / Presidential Tribunal: Babatope Expresses High Hope In Atiku’s Victory / Lawan: We Passed Buhari’s $5.5 Billion Loan Request To Save 20 Million Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.