Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! (35684 Views)

Dasuki: Buhari Never Ordered Dismantling Of Military Checkpoints / Lalong Calls For Return Of Checkpoints In Plateau State / Military Checkpoints Return In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Afam(m): 2:44am On Sep 06, 2007
It is becoming fashionable for Nigerians to support all manner of illegalities and later turn around to blame the government or the police in this case.

I drive as much as I use okada and I come across policemen all the time, I don't give them money, I carry the necessary papers and I have not been shot.

Fact is the average Nigerian may not even have the correct papers which becomes the loophole the policeman may be looking for.

For those that have correct papers, some may end up insulting or abusing the policeman which will also result in another problem as you are not supposed to abuse anyone on uniform.

All those advising that you bribe them because they may delay you or waste your time are the ones behind such nonsense, do you imagine countries with better or improve police system got what they have on a platter of gold or what?

Here, no body wants to do the ight thing but will be the first to start complaining.

From police to PHCN, from FRSC to other agencies I do not have any issues or problems with them because at all times I make sure I am not on the wrong side of the law and that alone keeps me out of any problems.

We always reference commercial vehicles that more often than not don't even bother to renew vehicle particulars and as such prefer to give money to the police.

We are our own worst enemies, I weep for this nation.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by klas(m): 9:40am On Sep 06, 2007
On Lagos-Ibadan express road, a Pastor met a team of policemen who, quite naturally, wanted 'something' from him. Since he was not prepared to play their games, they asked for his papers and having combed through everything without any offence with which to nail the 'stubborn' pastor, they now asked him to open the bonnet of his car. A careful scrutiny of the engine number against what was on paper revealed that letter U was written in such a way that it could be mistaken for letter V.

That was all the officer-in-charge needed to shout 'stolen vehicle'! Sensing trouble, even when he knew he committed no offence, the pastor called the OC to say he was a priest to which the officer replied, "Please, leave that pastor thing, in any case, if you are indeed a pastor, then you must have a Bible in your car, bring it."

The Pastor did as was commanded after which the officer now ordered: "Please read Matthew Chapter 5 verses 25 & 26 to me". The incredulous Pastor opened to the recommended passage and read;

"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to a judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. I tell you the truth; you will not get out until you have paid the last penny."

The man of God quietly made an "offering" of "just" N100 to his newly found "preacher".

End of service! "Go in peace and argue no more", said the OC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Jakumo(m): 9:43am On Sep 06, 2007

Afam:

,   I don't give them money, I carry the necessary papers and I have not been shot.

From police to PHCN, from FRSC to other agencies I do not have any issues or problems with them because at all times I make sure I am not on the wrong side of the law and that alone keeps me out of any problems.

Afam you are simply lucky to have so far been spared an "accidental discharge"  from the weapon of a Nigerian policeman over your flat refusal to pay out bribes whenever your vehicle is stopped, no matter how politely you feel you have always managed to frame your policy to finger-on-the-trigger Nigerian beat cops.

The graveyard is full of Nigerian men and women who won the road-side legal debate with a policeman, only to stop a round or two while leaving the scene in triumph.  As Chdichris and Enolase pointed out so well, the probability and repercussions of police killings can only be debated by the living, and a good way to stay alive on Nigerian roads is to keep cash ready for patrol cops while saving all the moral and legal disputations for internet forums like this one.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Afam(m): 11:38am On Sep 06, 2007
@Jakumo,

Thanks for your advice but I will rather continue with what works for me than try what you are proposing which in the real sense encourages bribery and tomorrow you will still talk about the police being corrupt.

It is the same display of cowardice and fear that has made the average Nigerian a pawn on the chess board.

How someone will support something bad and at the same time complain about corruption beats my imagination silly.

The same way people go into ritual killing to make money or push drugs and tomorrow they blame the government.

Nigeria is made up of Nigerians and Nigeria will be a direct reflection of values Nigerians have.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by MP007(m): 11:54am On Sep 06, 2007
heheheh, lets se

ur particular

ur drivers licence, head lamp receipt, car sterio condition , trafficator, head lamp. tire, sit belt etc , ati be be lo grin
naija police don mad
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by gidig(m): 1:16pm On Sep 06, 2007
Dealing with the police is very psycological. And it is the understanding of that psycology that will make them leave you alone. Policemen(hate ) and fear lawyers or people who know the law. Act like the Honourable minister is your sibling without mentioning any name and as long as your papers are in order, they will leave you alone. Policemen hate anything that has to do withy the courts! I have never been arrested as long as I have the basic papers to show them. And none has been bold enough to demand any form of bribe from me too! They want to but everytime, we are both playing the psycological game. All my actions speak I know my rights and I know your limitation without abusing them or raising my voice. They hate that and they keep wondering who you are as they rerturn your documents to you and ask you to go.

Policemen reralt stop vehicles with NBA stickers or those new peugeot cars given to military officers.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by lawyerchap(m): 2:38pm On Sep 06, 2007
When the police asks 'can we see your papers' what they actually mean is 'Can we see your PAY-PASS' as in PAY and PASS. What they really want is money. But seriously, the fewer documents you carry the less bother they'll give you. Just have your Driver's License, Vehicle Registration and Insurance Certificate and possibly the printout of the website that lists the documents they are entitled to ask for. Once they see that printout, they will not delay you at all; they will let you go immediately. When they stopped respecting my NBA sticker (having found that many non-lawyers put it on their windscreens) i took to carrying that printout with my papers. And they've always behaved themselves when they see it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by mimiko(f): 2:54pm On Sep 06, 2007
police hm they never cease to amaze me
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by ruemu(m): 11:19pm On Sep 06, 2007
Like gidig rightly said it's a psycological game,
Just be sure to play it right, be BOLD in ur conversation, and always calm down, they'll try to frustrate you,

Always watch your first response, it either give u away or pulls u on the wining edge,

like it's rightly obtain in the army u obey b4 complain,

@KAY wasz Bode Ojajuni number: can't find it on the site
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by enolase(m): 2:56am On Sep 07, 2007
On a lighter side! cheesy

Try and know as many of their big ogas as possible. How do you do that?

Simple! Make friends with an ASP or DSP. From there, start following him to the Inspectors' Mess, where other ASPs and DSPs usually go (they mostly go there because they get more recognition than the Officers' Mess where the "Really Big Ogas, the ACPs and DCPs, etc go).

From there, you will start knowing them little by little.

Then graudate from there to going to Officers' Mess. From there, pop into a birthday bash thrown for one of them. From there, pop in occasionally to see one or two "Delta Papa Oscars", with some occasional "appreciation" to go with it.

Like play like play, you will get to know virtually all the police big shots that matter.

Once you have enough rapport and phone numbers to go with it, I bet you, never again will you be stopped at a police checkpoint.

This process has worked very well for me. Not only that. Many have been beneficiaries of FREE treatment from me, especially when they contract something from some of their "extracurricular activities".

Once my car developed an electrical problem which caused me not to have any headlamps while driving at night on my way home from work. In the process, I almost hit a policeman who was on the road without his torch (una know say that their black and black get as e be!)

Over a dozen policemen jumped out from nowhere, cocking their guns and ordering me out of the car.

By the time I mentioned the name of their DPO, their DCO and a few "Supols" who worked in that station, I was left off the hook sharp sharp.

One of them even offered to help get an electrician to fix my problem that night.

Need I tell you that I don't even get stopped in that checkpoint anymore?

That is also an insurance cover if the need arises. cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by chidichris(m): 7:07am On Sep 07, 2007
dec 2001 i was travelling to east with a friend of mine who is a car dealer, we were stopped at benin by the police who asked for our papers. on presenting all the documents, the police noticed that the car was brought in through cotonou so he demanded that we bring the agent who cleared the car from cotonou.
he promised to leave us as soon as we provide the agent because all our documents were in order.
please those who knows how to deal with police shld offer solution in this issue as further arguement with them made the police to ask us if we are teaching them their jobs. it is simple that you provide the agent at least for police to confirm that he is indeed the agent and they will leave u.
many have been framed up into more deadly issues for their knowledge of laws.
meanwhile the bail fees paid to nigerian police are illegal yet lawyers will ask you to pay and get out of the place.
the bail fees when paid are surposed to be refundable.
who is talking about law in nigeria when the constitution says nobody shld be detained more than 48hrs without been officially charged to the court so let those of us who know the law say they have not been detained more than that or their relative.
let those who know the law tell us how many people in nigeria that have taken policemen to court and win their cases and stay alive.
meanwhile, if nigerian police sees u in a car, they will quickly look through you and value you so if you be agbero they ill just tell u to pass but if you look like someone they can get something from, they will start their work immediately.
by the way, how many times have it been annouced in nigeria that checkpoints are illegal?
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by chidichris(m): 7:10am On Sep 07, 2007
please let us not forget the apu killing
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by RichyBlacK(m): 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2007
Afam, kay, gidig, etc. You're surely on the right track!

We are responsible for checking the excesses of the police on Nigerian roads.

We as Nigerians should know and exercise our rights!

But I must admit that the Nigerian police is deeply corrupt! It is packed with illiterate men and women and this makes it more difficult to communicate with many of them.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by seunspice(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2007
We all know that the Nigerian Police force is the most unserious Police force in the world, From the Motto: ' The police is your friend' the unseriousness of these guys can be seen to know no bounds. Anyway i 'carry' all my documents, needed or uneeded. But when i get stopped by the men in uniform, i give them the needed documents first. Holding back the others and when they demand for the others i make jovial remarks about them not mandated to check the documents. I have been having my way with them for a while now. I just make sure my documents are up to date. SOme of them get Kolo for head, no be only FAze get am.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by laudate: 2:57pm On Sep 07, 2007
A policeman stopped me once. I gave him all my documents, including my ECMR. He looked at it and said it was fake. I asked him to flag down any other car on the road and show me an original one.

After he had delayed me for an hour, his 'superior' strolled down to see what was happening. The chap explained and said I had refused to play ball. Guess what his Oga said: "I don tell you before, make you no dey stop all this troublesome people wey too sabi book. Why you no dey use yah sense?" I was asked to leave without paying a dime. undecided
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by seunspice(m): 4:15pm On Sep 07, 2007
Very cool Laudate. I think if we all can just keep our heads high when the Police are doing their 'duty', we would not be cheated or intimidated to succumb to giving bribes.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by teeroy(m): 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2007
They should ask for my anger management certificate.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by redsun(m): 11:51am On Sep 09, 2007
Breathalyse for drink and drug driving if need be after identity have been confirmed.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by BlackMamba(m): 5:02pm On Sep 09, 2007
If you operate completely within the law (which is difficult for a lot of Nigerians), you'll rarely find yourself in situations to bribe the police. A lot of Nigerians are ignorant of most Nigerian statutes. Also, a lot of Nigeria prefer their comfort to protecting their rights. The police capitalize on these facts to extort. If you have an option to bribe or go to court for a traffic offence, and you decide that bribing is more convenient, do not turn around and cry foul. I lived in Lagos and was stopped uncountable times by the police, but only bribed once when I was stopped for turning into a one-way street. I never complained.

The Rule Of Law Is Protected By The Will Of The People With Ultimate Sacrifice Made Sometimes
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2007
are you ready to make the ultimate sacrifice a la accidental discharge?
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by 9ja4eva: 6:31pm On Sep 12, 2007
@Author

The police is more concerned about the following documents :

N20

License of everything you have in the car

Anything for the boys

Foodstuff

Show some love or you be wasted

Spare Spare tires of your car

These and many money interests the police.

Like someone said @ times name dropping can save you
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by babadee(m): 1:15am On Sep 13, 2007
1st: the website theme song is horrible!
2nd: Its hard to assert your rights with a monster AK-47 in your face
3rd: The police is definitly not your friend, think otherwise at your own peril
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by OlokoNla1(m): 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2007
the other day, i was out wiv my daughter, they asked me for her Birth certificate to prove that she was my daughter grin
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by seun001(m): 6:53am On Sep 20, 2007
Oloko Nla:

the other day, i was out with my daughter, they asked me for her Birth certificate to prove that she was my daughter grin

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! lipsrsealed
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Cotton(m): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2007
BlackMamba:

If you operate completely within the law (which is difficult for a lot of Nigerians), you'll rarely find yourself in situations to bribe the police. A lot of Nigerians are ignorant of most Nigerian statutes. [/b]

Have u tried driving from the west to the east? Picture yourself being asked for papers which u are not required by law to produce - and u don't have them - what happens when u are on a lonely stretch of road with your family in the car. The police will delay you and on long distance journeys a 2 hour delay is crucial. I travelled to Anambra last Friday and there were over 29 checkpoints between Ijebu Ode and Benin. Each one stopped and asked for my number plate allocation - to which I replied that I was not required to produce it. Several of them allowed me
but in Edo State, at one of the checkpoints, the Federal Highway Patrol officers felt insulted and seized my papers. One went so far as to tell me " by the time we take you to the police station around 8pm we will know what to write as a charge". By the way, this was in response to a question I asked - "Officer, please tell me what offence I have committed?" I produced D/L, Vehicle Licence and Insurance. I had earlier told him that those were all I needed. After 90mins the oga intervened as the 'good cop' and still insisted that I must do something. I parted with 500 naira but I couldn't get to Anambra that day because of the time. So I had to put my family in a hotel in Benin and continue my journey the next day. Now if I had cooperated willingly and parted with 500 initially, maybe I wouldn't have incurred an expense of 9,000.00 for rooms in Benin.

I do not condone bribing the police, but self preservation is a strong instinct. I hate the police with a passion-I have had several encounters with them and I always end up paying, even if it gets to the police station - Area E, Festac amongst others. It seems that driving a clean car irks them and they feel they are entitled to something.

My forum brothers, the police have killed several people for trying to assert their constitutional rights at checkpoints. My suggestion is that if the situation requires 'sorting', u 'sort'. If anything went wrong, people would blame u for not settling. Screw the statutes and constitutional rights but protect your own first, anyway u can.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by princeonx: 9:17pm On Apr 14, 2008
@Cotton: I thought its the other way round? Most Police checkpoints don't stop people driving clean cars! maybe I'm not getting your definition of clean car! (my understanding of clean car should be expensive/luxury car/SUV) All the same, Our police are completely useless. I hope they're reading.

Another thing is most naija car owners are guilty of one government/police offence or the other even before being stopped by a police. 80% or more of these cars we're talking about were smugled into Nigeria through neighboring countries! automatically once you hand a police your papers, he already know where to start harassing you! some of them have had their engine replaced causing it to have a diff engine number from the original document. The car owner will just add the new engine receipt (which any spare parts dealer can issue) to the rest of his car document instead of going through the right process or even changing the whole document if need be. 
My biggest thing with them is that you cant even communicate with them like normal human being! the only language they seem to really understand is your money! make God take him hand come save that Country cux even him Angels don taya!
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Cotton(m): 3:17pm On Apr 15, 2008
Ahhh Prince, in my area, Okota/Festac, they stop clean cars (by your definition)! Moreso if you are young. They are terrible people.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by Kobojunkie: 8:15am On Apr 18, 2008
good post!
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by youngies(m): 2:41pm On Jul 09, 2008
I think the page has been yanked off the police website. If it still there, please someone help me out cos I need it badly.
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by lucabrasi(m): 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
this is all well and good,but i dont think its about the document but about taking care of police welfare and salaries,regular retraining of the rank and file up to the mid level officers and not recruiting school cert holders but raising the benchmark to at least national diplomas, a policeman knows with a few documents if your car is genuine or not so once they start asking you all sorts its for an underlying motive and it ll be very hard for tou to win,u can have all the documents and there ll still be another one u dont have,for instance how would you defend it if a policeman asked proof thats the correct reading of your odometer?or why the lining on your tire is not to standard?and thats just me a normal civillian
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by youngies(m): 3:00pm On Jul 09, 2008
The document I sought for will prove to him that he has no right to ask such questions

Lucabrasi, if you have the link just give it to me, I can handle it from there cheesy
Re: Know The Documents Police Should Ask For At Checkpoints! by lucabrasi(m): 3:03pm On Jul 09, 2008
i dont have the link,why dont u google it,shouldnt be that hard to find

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Wamakko Feeding His Pigeons In His House In Sokoto (Photos) / Buhari Disengages Dokubo, Appoints Dikko To Head Amnesty Programme / Osun Public Servants, Retirees At Winners Chapel For Food Today (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.