Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU (6122 Views)

Youths Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Launched By Buhari Administration / See Photos Of The 259 Customized Patrol Vehicles Launched By Police IG In Abuja / US Special Forces & Forces From 28 Countries Train In Chad For Boko Haram-Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by koruji(m): 1:28am On Sep 23, 2011
Nigeria, 27 other countries form new anti-terror group

Nigeria & 27 Other Nations Launched A New Anti-Terrorism Organisation

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109234342021

TWENTY-NINE countries, including Nigeria, have launched a new multilateral organisation to fight terrorism.

Speaking at the launch in New York on Thursday, the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the new group would become “a counter-terrorism network that is as nimble and adaptive as our adversaries.

The GCTF, which has 30 founding members (29 countries plus the European Union) is planned to provide a platform for senior counterterrorism policymakers and experts from around the world to work together to identify urgent needs, devise solutions and mobilise resources in the fight against terrorism.

THE PUNCH learnt that the GCTF was created after the failure of earlier initiatives that did not include a broad array of countries.

Clinton said, “We understand terrorism is not a new phenomenon, but, unfortunately, given advances in technology and communication and travel and so many other of the ways we live together today, terrorism has become truly global and, unfortunately, an ongoing threat to us all.

“From London to Lahore, from Madrid to Mumbai, from Kabul to Kampala, it’s innocent civilians who have been targeted. And no country can afford to sit on the sidelines and no country can afford to go it alone.

“Now, in recent years, together we have made real progress against violent extremism. But I think we all recognise we can do more, which is why we are here. We can build an international counterterrorism network that is as nimble and adaptive as our adversaries, that can mobilise resources and expertise from across the globe, and that can not only meet today’s challenges but prepare for tomorrow’s.”

Clinton said that members would work together to deepen their understanding of the process of radicalisation and terrorist recruitment.

She said, “Over the last 10 years, we’ve learned a lot about how terrorist networks find their followers and maintain support and protection in particular communities. But there’s much we still don’t know about how best to disrupt their efforts and deny them support.

“This forum can serve as a clearinghouse for research and analysis into these challenges, bringing together experts to design effective strategies for countering violent extremism, and helping ensure that both governments and NGOs are trained to understand the phenomenon of radicalization and how to address it.”

The GCTF will initially have five working groups, one focusing on criminal justice and rule of law; one on countering violent extremism; and three aimed at building counter-terrorism capacity in the Sahel, the Horn of Africa and Southeast Asia.

In addition to Nigeria and the US, other founding members of the group are Algeria, Australia, Britain, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Morocco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.

Nigeria is currently in the throes of a terror campaign by the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Police Command has said that the 22 people arrested by the Rapid Response Squad on Wednesday were not members of Boko Haram sect.

Spokesman for the command, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Thursday that investigation so far revealed that the suspects were just local Islamic preachers.

Jinadu spoke against the backdrop of some reports that the arrested people were members of the group.

The Police spokesman said that the suspects, aged between 12 years and 45 years, were intercepted when they were trekking from Omu town in Ogun State towards Ketu in Lagos State.

He said, “When they were questioned they were unable to give any satisfactory explanation about their mission in Lagos. From investigations, they are local Islamic preachers from Yoruba land.

“No weapon was found on them, they are currently being investigated at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti.

“They told the police that God directed them to come and preach Islam to the people of Lagos for a period of 25 days.”

The PRO denied that they were connected to Boko Haram, urging Lagosians not to entertain fears as they went about their normal activities.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by moderatorr: 8:33am On Sep 23, 2011
we will see the end of bh soon
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by gossipnig: 8:59am On Sep 23, 2011
What a story.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 9:15am On Sep 23, 2011
Wonderful, now the US can spy a lot more effectively on the member-states of this new organisation. What happened to INTERPOL? Strengthening INTERPOL would have been a more pragmatic approach to counter-terrorism in my opinion.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by ayzree: 9:18am On Sep 23, 2011
hhhhh
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by blackpanda: 9:23am On Sep 23, 2011
maclatunji:

Wonderful, now the US can spy a lot more effectively on the member-states of this new organisation. What happened to INTERPOL? Strengthening INTERPOL would have been a more pragmatic approach to counter-terrorism in my opinion.
Interpol is not an organisation. Its more or less simply an agreement by countries to share information.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by ManXTreme: 9:29am On Sep 23, 2011
To be headed by Jack Bauer
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 9:41am On Sep 23, 2011
maclatunji:

Wonderful, now the US can spy a lot more effectively on the member-states of this new organisation.  What happened to INTERPOL? Strengthening INTERPOL would have been a more pragmatic approach to counter-terrorism in my opinion.

blackpanda:

Interpol is not an organisation. Its more or less simply an agreement by countries to share information.

The INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL POLICE ORGANIZATION (INTERPOL) is not an organisation? shocked shocked shocked

You are very high on ignorance; must you post?

Let me take it easy with you (but you have managed to spoil my good mood this morning). Now click on the following links and learn to shut-up unless you are sure of what you are typing.

http://www.interpol.int/public/icpo/default.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpol

If you are foreigner reading this, I sincerely apologize. Not all Nigerians act like this.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by blackpanda: 10:25am On Sep 23, 2011
maclatunji:

The INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL POLICE ORGANIZATION (INTERPOL) is not an organisation? shocked shocked shocked

Let me take it easy with you (but you have managed to spoil my good mood this morning). Now click on the following links and learn to shut-up unless you are sure of what you are typing.

If you are foreigner reading this, I sincerely apologize. Not all Nigerians act like this.

I dont know what witch or wizard pressed u during the night, but please direct ur anger to smthing inanimate.
This forum is for sharing opinions and discussing generally, not throwing hate or anger at people. Please keep your frustration in your closet. Your name is not "Google", so please dont claim to know it all.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by badesco(m): 11:21am On Sep 23, 2011
If only it will stop the menace of Bomb Throwers A.k.a. Boko Haram if not, is of no use.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 11:25am On Sep 23, 2011
blackpanda:

I dont know what witch or wizard pressed u during the night, but please direct your anger to smthing inanimate.
This forum is for sharing opinions and discussing generally, not throwing hate or anger at people. Please keep your frustration in your closet. Your name is not "Google", so please dont claim to know it all.

Exactly, not for showing abject ignorance and embarrassing yourself in the process. Okay, I am sorry if I was a bit harsh but do some research before you post next time. grin
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Fornorth(m): 11:26am On Sep 23, 2011
moderatorr:

Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Fornorth(m): 11:37am On Sep 23, 2011
moderatorr:

like the way america's cia see the end of al'qaida and taliban, so soon like the way isra'il intelligent see the end of hamas and co. Hahahahahahaha i day loughooooo.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maddog9ja: 11:46am On Sep 23, 2011
Wonderful, now the US can spy a lot more effectively on the member-states of this new organisation.  What happened to INTERPOL? Strengthening INTERPOL would have been a more pragmatic approach to counter-terrorism in my opinion.

Like they're not already EFFECTIVELY spying on us
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by werepeLeri: 12:30pm On Sep 23, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if NairaLand is full of Boko Haram members.

This is a possibility.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 12:32pm On Sep 23, 2011
maddog9ja:

Like they're not already EFFECTIVELY spying on us

Does the word "more" mean anything to you?
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by nateevs(m): 12:48pm On Sep 23, 2011
maclatunji:

Must you be rude to people to prove a point?
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by mekaboy(m): 12:50pm On Sep 23, 2011
WHICH OTHER TERRORISTS ARE THEY LOOKING FOR ? WHEN THE NORTHERN GOVERNORS HAVE ADMITTED THAT THEY ARE THE ONES WHO FORMED THESE GROUPS AND SENT THEM ABROAD FOR TRAINING TO BE USED POLITICALLY ? LET THEM JUST ARREST AND KILL ALL THE NORTHERN STATE GOVERNORS AND THE SECT THEY CREATED .
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 12:52pm On Sep 23, 2011
nateevs:

Must you be rude to people to prove a point?

Let us refresh, I asked:

maclatunji:

Now, how is that rude?
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by valicious1(m): 12:54pm On Sep 23, 2011
since  the   hunter   has   learnt   to   shoot   without   missin,   the   hawk   has   also   learnt   to   fly   without   perching.  This   would  pose   a  challenge   for   the BH   to   upgrade   to   a  more  deadly  tactics.  I  smell  WAR!!!!!!!!
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by maclatunji: 1:00pm On Sep 23, 2011
^^^
"Eneke the bird says that since men have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching." - Chinua Achebe (Things Fall Apart).

Classic!
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Fornorth(m): 1:09pm On Sep 23, 2011
Any way creating anti terrorist departement in nigeria will help alot of people to become very rich,i pray that may god make jonathan appoint my elder brother who right now is a big shot in security sector (name i will not say becouse of those haters)as a chief of the financial matters of this anti terrorist departiment,couse i know plenty million dollers will flow like rain into that departiment.pls help me say Amen(dont hate your own is on the way sooner)
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by werepeLeri: 1:45pm On Sep 23, 2011
and when you ask on Nland how to curb Boko Haram and terrorism, they have no idea. But when someone tries, they open their loud mouth to condemn it.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by islamrules(m): 2:45pm On Sep 23, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Rolling on the floor laughing cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL POLICE ORGANIZATION (INTERPOL) is not an organisation? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I dont know what witch or wizard pressed u during the night, but please direct your anger to smthing inanimate.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 23, 2011
Fornorth:

Any way creating anti terrorist departement in nigeria will help alot of people to become very rich,i pray that may god make jonathan appoint my elder brother who right now is a big shot in security sector (name i will not say becouse of those haters)as a chief of the financial matters of this anti terrorist departiment,couse i know plenty million dollers will flow like rain into that departiment.pls help me say Amen(dont hate your own is on the way sooner)

rotfl grin grin grin
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by igbo2011(m): 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2011
Terrorism kills under 1000 people in Nigeria since 2009 but bad medicine, bad roads, kills more people since 2009. We shouldn't let the US spy because they don't want Nigeria to succeed. That means less money for the US since we won't buy their products as much.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 23, 2011
Fornorth:

so a member of ur family is among the headache we have in Nigeria embarassed
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Jenifa1: 12:38am On Sep 24, 2011
Isn't this Cold War II?

Islam is the new communism. Middle East is the new USSR undecided
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by popoyeh(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2011
I hope the President appoints people who are worth their salt to represent us in the organisation, not just people who would be overjoyed at being appointed, thereby losing focus of their objective there. We don't want a dummy to represent us, who would accede to the expected-covert-selfish-interests of some of the member nations. Personally, I would appoint an individual with some of Obasanjo's no nonsense attitude and character to lead Nigeria's delegtion.
Re: Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU by Bawss1(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2011
Anything reasonable effort to check terrorism should be welcomed. Whats up with all the bad mouthing?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Diezanni Is Facing The House Of Reps On Ait Now. / Obasanjo Bombs Jonathan Again: Your Evil Actions Destroying Nigeria / Army Trains 2904 Soldiers On Counter-Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.