Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? (26625 Views)

When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12 / Percentage Of Wives That Earn More Than Their Husbands In Nigeria / Lady Goes For Photoshoot With Her Father; He Outshines her (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ozo13(m): 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
Pussykills:
Please I need sincere inputs. Those leaving with someone, please don't derail this thread. Just read an learn.

I'm planning on relocating to new area in Abuja but I'm really confused if 20% of salary is too much to pay for rent.

Where I currently stay lacks some amenities and I pay 10% of my salary for rent.

What percentage of your salary goes to rent? How much do you think should be the ideal percentage of salary for rent??

I think the right percentage would allow for proper saving to allow one build his or her own apartment.

Thank you for your responses.
people usually say 2month of ur salary should be able to cater for accomodation
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Oyerinde16(m): 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
I earn about 2m a year, house rent is 600k... What's the percentage... I think it's about 30something percent

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by staga: 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:
The average Abuja salary starts from 50-70k. 100k is considered a good pay in Abuja. Now which part of Abuja can you rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment with 200k(2 months salary)?

Nigerians in general are suffering from hyperinflation but nobody cares. Price of items keeps going up while salary remains constant. People now use their 3-5 months salary to pay as rent. In gwarimpa. A selfcon is between 900k-1m. How many Nigerians earn 500k monthly? Lol how many can even boast of 200k saved in their accounts at any point in time? We’re joking in this country.

Someone earning 100k a month in Abuja has no business living in Gwarinpa or anywhere inside town. Maybe in Nyanya or Mararaba or Lugbe or Kubwa.

It is just that we do not have a culture of riding bicycles in Nigeria and bicycle lanes were not created the way you have them in places like Utrecht, Netherlands. Otherwise, we should all be cycling and forget plying of buses and paying all kinds of transport fares.

You get your house in a cheaper location, and you cycle to work and back. It will also help to reduce the traffic. If I was the president, I would introduce a vehicle schedule where those whose names start with a particular alphabet can only be allowed to drive on certain days.

11 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Triangles1(m): 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:
The average Abuja salary starts from 50-70k. 100k is considered a good pay in Abuja. Now which part of Abuja can you rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment with 200k(2 months salary)?

Nigerians in general are suffering from hyperinflation but nobody cares. Price of items keeps going up while salary remains constant. People now use their 3-5 months salary to pay as rent. In gwarimpa. A selfcon is between 900k-1m. How many Nigerians earn 500k monthly? Lol how many can even boast of 200k saved in their accounts at any point in time? We’re joking in this country.

You're on point.

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Strokes: 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
A fraction of your monthly income(not even a whole) should go to your yearly rent.

I suggest you have more than one source of income sincerely.

Depending only on your salary is dangerous no matter how much you earn.

About buying land in a rural area, I don't subscribe to that at all, you must raise your children in a good environment. Fortunately the amount spent in building house in the rural area is the same for urban area.
They won't sell a bag of cement to you for 1000 just because you're going to use it in a rural area.

I advise people to look for food money even if it means taking a loan to buy land in a hood location.

Someone I know bought two plots of land in a particular location for 60m and after two years when he was ready to build a supermarket, he was approached to sell it and offered 150m, is that not good business?
He didn't sell it anyways,but imagine he wanted to do business with it, he would have made close to 300% profit.

7 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by 9free(m): 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
Pussykills:
Please I need sincere inputs. Those leaving with someone, please don't derail this thread. Just read an learn.

I'm planning on relocating to new area in Abuja but I'm really confused if 20% of salary is too much to pay for rent.

Where I currently stay lacks some amenities and I pay 10% of my salary for rent.

What percentage of your salary goes to rent? How much do you think should be the ideal percentage of salary for rent??

I think the right percentage would allow for proper saving to allow one build his or her own apartment.

Net monthly or net annual?

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by kingreign(m): 7:02pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:

You just spoke my mind.
kingreign:

For civil servants staying and working in urban center like Abuja, PH, Lagos etc it’s almost not feasible. In Kubwa, a decent 1 bedroom is approximately 600-1.5mk per annum and the area may have poor road network or water supply issue or even power supply issue.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by kingreign(m): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
staga:

Someone earning 100k a month in Abuja has no business living in Gwarinpa or anywhere inside town. Maybe in Nyanya or Mararaba or Lugbe or Kubwa.

It is just that we do not have a culture of riding bicycles in Nigeria and bicycle lanes were not created the way you have them in places like Utrecht, Netherlands. Otherwise, we should all be cycling and forget plying of buses and paying all kinds of transport fares.

Do you know how much it cost to rent a 1bedroom in Kubwa or Lugbe?
Lol.

I doubt you do.

Las las we go dey alright.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Seagodess(f): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
turmacs:
How many times una wan ask this question? Something a simple Google search can answer. Multiple threads that made front page have created on this same topic but one stupid mod still decided to push this to FP. All of una for this forum they mad....Don't go and plan on how to start building your own house you hear? Idiot. Dey ask percent of your salary wey you go pay as rent, rubbish man. Na your mate dey build mansions for festac up and down and Marry young women like us at an early age. You still dey pay rent, nonsense. Stupid men like you are the reason a lot of beautiful young woman like us are not married yet.
Anty... make i tell you something?

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by HRSweetness(f): 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
This saying your rent should be 1 month's salary, please where do you live? What kind of shelter would that be?

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:04pm On Apr 29, 2023
efficiencie:

Is that consultant a Nigerian? Two months salary equals rent could be devastating, particularly if you add, feeding, transport, service charges at home, wifey is a full time housewife, Buhari or Tinubu is president, Elemiewele is still CBN governor and there are tons of side chicks contending for the small change wey you get.
It's the Elemiewele for me.

The Yorubas in the house can relate.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Iamzik: 7:04pm On Apr 29, 2023
kuse2:
Wanted to ask why u needed side chicks..

Only to realize I have too.. 🤫

Oh lawd! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by adioolayi(m): 7:04pm On Apr 29, 2023
Oyerinde16:
I earn about 2m a year, house rent is 600k... What's the percentage... I think it's about 30something percent

This is huge...you dey try..

Are you certain you don't have any other source of income asides this #2M per annum? Except you are not spending on transportation cost.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mployer(m): 7:05pm On Apr 29, 2023
If you earn 200k in Lagos you may think you have arrived, but 600k won't get you decent apartment in good location.

This is 3 months salary oo!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by adioolayi(m): 7:05pm On Apr 29, 2023
9free:

Net monthly or net annual?

If your rent is monthly..you use monthly..of annual you use annual..

Na same percentage
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Exkandayee(m): 7:06pm On Apr 29, 2023
[right][/right]
2%,i earn $15k from my biz,,, still stacking up to buy my own home next month

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by peacenaija(m): 7:06pm On Apr 29, 2023
94% of my monthly salary paid my annual rent when I was in Nigeria but now 36% of my monthly salary goes to my monthly rent grin.. I missed naija somewhat.

6 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Iamzik: 7:07pm On Apr 29, 2023
Seagodess:
Anty... make i tell you something?

Abeg tell her
She/he/it sounds like a frustrated human being

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Sirchiboy: 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2023
Ubdavis:
My one month salary is even above my house rent
Shell holder I greet you

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2023
My 5 days salary pays my rent for the year.

By the way my rent is 500k a year.

And I've been earning 3M monthly and believing God for 6M per month soon.

11 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Mrgeco001: 7:13pm On Apr 29, 2023
smiley

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mrvitalis(m): 7:15pm On Apr 29, 2023
Pussykills:

Have never really formally worked in my life ... always been into business ......never had a fixed income per month ... weird now I think about it
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by 9free(m): 7:15pm On Apr 29, 2023
Viking07:

In Abuja, anything less than 30-45% for the average salary earner na either Mararaba, Gwagwalada, Kuje, Bwari village, Zuba, Suleja or Kaduna road you go find yourself.
grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ednut1(m): 7:16pm On Apr 29, 2023
No manual. Pay based on your circumstances. In the bid to stay in a cheaper place you expose yourself to health issues like stress and lack of sleep. If you die your next of kin go blast your savings o

5 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by 9free(m): 7:18pm On Apr 29, 2023
elipheleh:
My [b]5 days salary pays my rent for the year.[/b]

By the way my rent is 500k a year.

And I've been earning 3M monthly and believing God for 6M per month soon.

Yahoo or Audio salary?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by eddynaira125: 7:19pm On Apr 29, 2023
I don't think mine one year rent is up to 3% of my annual profit
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by AfahaAbia(m): 7:22pm On Apr 29, 2023
My one month salary pays my rent. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment here in Portharcout
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Olaolex: 7:22pm On Apr 29, 2023
turmacs:
How many times una wan ask this question? Something a simple Google search can answer. Multiple threads that made front page have created on this same topic but one stupid mod still decided to push this to FP. All of una for this forum they mad....Don't go and plan on how to start building your own house you hear? Idiot. Dey ask percent of your salary wey you go pay as rent, rubbish man. Na your mate dey build mansions for festac up and down and Marry young women like us at an early age. You still dey pay rent, nonsense. Stupid men like you are the reason a lot of beautiful young woman like us are not married yet.
But why pouring your frustration out on a faceless forum like this?
Do you know you too can achieve all these that you mentioned? My sis abeg comot, make we see road jare.

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 7:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
9free:

Yahoo or Audio salary?

Lol. I know it sounds crazy. I work 2 jobs

Job 1.
CONTEC Global. We produce expertraits CERPAC cards (Combined Expertraits Residence Permit and Aliens Cards) for the Nigerian Immigration service. It is the Nigerian residence permit and work permit for foreigners living and working in Nigeria.
Just Google the company CONTEC. The salary is very very small. Not up to 150k in naira monthly.

Job 2.
Second job is programming job for a USA company. I work remotely. Salary is 4k US Dollar (ie 3 million naira) monthly. Soon to be increased to 8k monthly.

Modified
I return all the glory to Jesus Christ. He is the doer.

11 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Nairalander248: 7:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
Pussykills:

My 1/2 of my one month salary pay my 1 year house rent.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by 9free(m): 7:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
HRSweetness:
This saying your rent should be 1 month's salary, please where do you live? What kind of shelter would that be?

Definitely not any of the metropolitan cities in the following Nigerian states;
Anambra
Delta
Imo
Akwaibom
Crossover
PH
KD
Kano
Abuja
Ogun
Lagos
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mikendie(m): 7:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
My rent takes 11% of my annual salary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Brother Insists That I Follow A Yahoo Guy / Parents Of This Adorable Baby Girl Celebrates Her First Birthday In Style / Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.