Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? (26746 Views)

When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12 / Percentage Of Wives That Earn More Than Their Husbands In Nigeria / Lady Goes For Photoshoot With Her Father; He Outshines her (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by fashrola(m): 2:21am On Apr 30, 2023
HRSweetness:
This saying your rent should be 1 month's salary, please where do you live? What kind of shelter would that be?

Well lot of people earn so much in Nigeria, my one month salary can afford me a 3 bedroom detached building in Uyo at Ewet Housing estate or Shelter Afrique (Highbrow area in Uyo)

But since no be my papa work, I had to save and build to enjoy my fruit of my own labour rather than getting unnecessary hbp for rent annually...

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by bolousadex: 2:54am On Apr 30, 2023
About 40%..I live in Ontario Canada.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 4:13am On Apr 30, 2023
malcom1X:

This story isn't complete if you didn't tell us the part where you learnt programming and what programming language.

Humans and doubts sef.

I started learning programming while in University.

Graduated from University 2010

Searched for job for 5 years. Most of my mates were already working.

By 2015 was when I got my first job and started working for CONTEC as a Network Engineer till date. I still won't quit this job. My ID card is like Immigration own. And it clears road for me everywhere as far as police and others are concerned.

I self taught myself programming for 14 yrs starting in Uni days. Then before getting my first good paying programming job last year 2022. So for 14 years I was building my skills in Computer Languages.

If you must know I'm into web development. See my current skills:
Php
Jquery
Laravel
Mysql, mariadb
Css, html, bootstrap
Javascript
ReactJS
Java,
And still learning more...

I have other skills:
A little of penetration testing. That is hacking
Linux server administration
Mechanical Engineering graduate.
HVAC
Computer hardware repairs
Computer Networking (that's part of my job in immigrantion)

At the remote job in USA, I am the only programmer there. Full stack developer. Pay is 4k usd

And I will also take up a role soon as a Mod. That's another 4k US dollar

Why am I taking my time to respond to your doubts?

I'm only encouraging guys here. Don't give up. Keep working legitimately and honest jobs. Improve your skills all the time. There's no limits. There's nothing God cannot do for you. Just believe.

This too can happen to you or anybody.

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by tosyne2much(m): 4:15am On Apr 30, 2023
yemmit90:

Is like you don't know that alot of jokers and unrealistic people full Nairaland.

Except you earn 300k and above, there is no way your 2 months salary will cover your rent if you stay at city centre. Some in the name of cutting cost will get cheap apartments at remote areas and end up spending ×2 of the same rent on transportation.
If care is not taken, a lot of people are going to develop depression on this thread

So many liars and unrealistic people cheesy.. Abi is it not the same country that inflation has crippled everything to the extent that a lot of people will even struggle to afford their rent with four months salary

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 4:19am On Apr 30, 2023
Edoziesmart:

Which work do you do to earn 3M monthly?

I believe you are lying because you can't be earning such huge salary and don't have your own personal building even if village people is following you.

Lol. You think I do not have plans to start building? But that will even come last when I look up and I don't see any more needs in my list.

My agenda now is on buying 1 plot of land every month. Land is a better investment.

That's my choice. Lands all the way. It appreciates with time. Houses depreciates

Plus I've bought everything you can think a comfortable man needs to have in a family.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 4:21am On Apr 30, 2023
asobo1:
NSPPD right? What God Can Not Do Doesn't Exist. Do you mind contacting you?

Yes NSPPD. I sent in my video testimony on the platform but it was never played. I won't mind your contacting me, but not looking for new associates. Just living my quiet life.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by elipheleh(m): 4:24am On Apr 30, 2023
caandi:
I tap into this grace for my baby brother and more as he studied computer science and is undergoing his programming skills/courses
I praise God for you
You’re doing well

By Gods mercy he will get even more. I shared it here because I know someone might be encouraged. He just need to be dedicated.

I self taught myself for 14 years and counting. His lights will shine too soon with God and His grace.

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Kolxx: 5:16am On Apr 30, 2023
Aduke96:
Any angel should please help a fresh graduate with a paying job at osogbo.
I really need to survive.
God bless!

You need to leave that location bro if you're really keen on getting a "well paying job". I was in Osogbo last year looking for job but i didn't see, i later relocated to Lagos that same last year, it was quite rough for some months but i later got a fairly paid job which came with an accommodation. All I'm just tryna say is that leave your location for a more promising one where you have a high chance of getting a job to begin with..from there, you'll work your way up.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:42am On Apr 30, 2023
staga:

Someone earning 100k a month in Abuja has no business living in Gwarinpa or anywhere inside town. Maybe in Nyanya or Mararaba or Lugbe or Kubwa.

It is just that we do not have a culture of riding bicycles in Nigeria and bicycle lanes were not created the way you have them in places like Utrecht, Netherlands. Otherwise, we should all be cycling and forget plying of buses and paying all kinds of transport fares.

You get your house in a cheaper location, and you cycle to work and back. It will also help to reduce the traffic. If I was the president, I would introduce a vehicle schedule where those whose names start with a particular alphabet can only be allowed to drive on certain days.

That would also be a form of exercise, which an average struggling Nigerian hardly have the time for.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Nobody: 6:06am On Apr 30, 2023
turmacs:
How many times una wan ask this question? Something a simple Google search can answer. Multiple threads that made front page have created on this same topic but one stupid mod still decided to push this to FP. All of una for this forum they mad....Don't go and plan on how to start building your own house you hear? Idiot. Dey ask percent of your salary wey you go pay as rent, rubbish man. Na your mate dey build mansions for festac up and down and Marry young women like us at an early age. You still dey pay rent, nonsense. Stupid men like you are the reason a lot of beautiful young woman like us are not married yet.
Tell me you want attention without telling me you want attention.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 30, 2023
Gentew:

Side chick is my major problem
Do they approach you or you approach them?

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by djkirkoo2(m): 6:31am On Apr 30, 2023
Those people commenting don't use more than two months yanyanyan, hope you are aware how house rents are skyrocketing. To live in a comfortable selfcon here in Bayelsa State is hundred and eighty thousand naira and above o. Whereas a level 8 civil servant earns 60k monthly. You better be in people's shoes before you draw conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Basalt(m): 7:03am On Apr 30, 2023
Pussykills:
Please I need sincere inputs. Those leaving with someone, please don't derail this thread. Just read an learn.

I'm planning on relocating to new area in Abuja but I'm really confused if 20% of salary is too much to pay for rent.

Where I currently stay lacks some amenities and I pay 10% of my salary for rent.

What percentage of your salary goes to rent? How much do you think should be the ideal percentage of salary for rent??

I think the right percentage would allow for proper saving to allow one build his or her own apartment.

Thank you for your responses.

Whenever you must spend 30% of your income on rent, then you are paying too high.
Move in to a cheaper place

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Kelvindate(m): 7:06am On Apr 30, 2023
elipheleh:

Humans and doubts sef.

By 2010 was when I got my first job and started working for CONTEC as a Network Engineer till date. I still won't quit this job. My ID card is like Immigration own. And it clears road for me everywhere as far as police and others are concerned.

I self taught myself programming for 14 yrs starting in Uni days. Then before getting my first good paying programming job last year 2022. So for 14 years I was building my skills in Computer Languages.

Php
Jquery
Laravel
Mysql, mariadb
Css, html, bootstrap
Javascript
ReactJS
Java,

I have other skills:
HVAC

At the remote job in USA, I am the only programmer there. Full stack developer. Pay is 4k usd

I'm only encouraging guys here. Don't give up. Keep working legitimately and honest jobs. Improve your skills all the time. There's no limits. There's nothing God cannot do for you. Just believe.

Sir do you have a certificate as a programmer before getting the job? And also if you don't mind can you share me a tips of how or what platform you got the job because I have been trying to get a remote job also as a programmer.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mediclife1987(m): 7:17am On Apr 30, 2023
Viking07:
The average Abuja salary starts from 50-70k. 100k is considered a good pay in Abuja. Now which part of Abuja can you rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment with 200k(2 months salary)?

Nigerians in general are suffering from hyperinflation but nobody cares. Price of items keeps going up while salary remains constant. People now use their 3-5 months salary to pay as rent. In gwarimpa. A selfcon is between 900k-1m. How many Nigerians earn 500k monthly? Lol how many can even boast of 200k saved in their accounts at any point in time? We’re joking in this country.

PS: There’s a difference between Abuja and FCT. 😁😆. Gwarimpa, Garki, Maitama =Abuja
Nyanya, gwagwalada, bwari, Kuje =FCT.

Non mind them, make dem dey cap rubbish.

As stringent and prudent as I wanna be, I have to cough up 3months salary in this Lagos to get an average suitable room self contain for this Lagos, because of these Agent's shenanigans.

Next year, the weyrey landlord might look for a way to frustrate the tenant outta the building, or also even increase the rent to what you coughed up the year before. So no change.

You'll hear different stuffs to pay for like Agency fee, Legal fees, Caution, etc till the fees are even more than the actual rent.

This Lagos is fvcked up men! But man no geh choice.

Still searching for a correct apartment sha, cos I spent 5hrs from Ikorodu to Sango. I'll just die if I continue living this way meen...

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Teymanhenry(f): 7:38am On Apr 30, 2023
efficiencie:

[20% - 50%) of your salary is not bad to afford some luxuries. [50% - 100%) of your salary is risky. More than 100% of your salary could be catastrophic.

50% of one's salary for rent is not a good idea. Think about it, then how much goes into savings, feeding, transportation, clothing, chilling, investments, health and other miscellaneous?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Edipet(m): 7:43am On Apr 30, 2023
elipheleh:

Lol. I know it sounds crazy. I work 2 jobs

Job 1.
CONTEC Global. We produce expertraits CERPAC cards (Combined Expertraits Residence Permit and Aliens Cards) for the Nigerian Immigration service. It is the Nigerian residence permit and work permit for foreigners living and working in Nigeria.
Just Google the company CONTEC. The salary is very very small. Not up to 150k in naira monthly.

Job 2.
Second job is programming job for a USA company. I work remotely. Salary is 4k US Dollar (ie 3 million naira) monthly. Soon to be increased to 8k monthly.

Modified
I return all the glory to Jesus Christ. He is the doer.
please which area of programing?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by Gentew(m): 8:06am On Apr 30, 2023
Edipet:
please which area of programing?
4Humanity4All:

Do they approach you or you approach them?

They literaly sent me an "invitation to treat" with their half naked dressings...... Meaning that they technically approach me.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by SmallmebigGod: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2023
Obavoh:
I live in my own personal house with my family. The only thing I spend on is minor repairs and here and there.

I believe you shouldn’t use more than 2 months salary to pay rent.

Invest in a land as cheap as possible even if it is in a rural area. You can lease it to someone to farm on if you are not financially buoyant to start building.

You also don’t have to wait till you have millions to build, start a little project such as a 2 bedroom, you will never regret it

2months for rent is much. How many month for school fees, and how many months for food
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by malcom1X: 8:31am On Apr 30, 2023
elipheleh:

Humans and doubts sef.

By 2010 was when I got my first job and started working for CONTEC as a Network Engineer till date. I still won't quit this job. My ID card is like Immigration own. And it clears road for me everywhere as far as police and others are concerned.

Php
Jquery
Laravel
Mysql, mariadb
Css, html, bootstrap
Javascript
ReactJS
Java,

I have other skills:
HVAC

Bro I wasn't doubting you, I wanted to know how you made it.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by QuinModah(f): 8:35am On Apr 30, 2023
wink
fashrola:

Well lot of people earn so much in Nigeria, my one month salary can afford me a 3 bedroom detached building in Uyo at Ewet Housing estate or Shelter Afrique (Highbrow area in Uyo)

But since no be my papa work, I had to save and build to enjoy my fruit of my own labour rather than getting unnecessary hbp for rent annually...
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mediclife1987(m): 8:40am On Apr 30, 2023
Strokes:
A fraction of your monthly income(not even a whole) should go to your yearly rent.

I suggest you have more than one source of income sincerely.

Depending only on your salary is dangerous no matter how much you earn.

About buying land in a rural area, I don't subscribe to that at all, you must raise your children in a good environment. Fortunately the amount spent in building house in the rural area is the same for urban area.
They won't sell a bag of cement to you for 1000 just because you're going to use it in a rural area.

I advise people to look for food money even if it means taking a loan to buy land in a hood location.

Someone I know bought two plots of land in a particular location for 60m and after two years when he was ready to build a supermarket, he was approached to sell it and offered 150m, is that not good business?
He didn't sell it anyways,but imagine he wanted to do business with it, he would have made close to 300% profit.

With the concomitant inflation swallowing it all up.

There's really not much profit in reselling lands jarey; the profit comes in using the land for something tangible, like the supermarket you mentioned up there, or a hotel, or renting or anything; but selling that land.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by walexsho(m): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2023
yemmit90:

Is like you don't know that alot of jokers and unrealistic people full Nairaland.

Except you earn 300k and above, there is no way your 2 months salary will cover your rent if you stay at city centre. Some in the name of cutting cost will get cheap apartments at remote areas and end up spending ×2 of the same rent on transportation.
you work in Ikeja as a case study
you earn 150k salary
a decent Room/parlour self con rent in Ikeja is more than 1m... and you get a very nice 200k Room/Parlour self con at Sango/tollgate outskirt Ikeja with just 1k tfare per day(360k yearly).
Will you rent a house at Ikeja all in the name of City guy?

3 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by QuinModah(f): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2023
tosyne2much:
If care is not taken, a lot of people are going to develop depression on this thread

So many liars and unrealistic people cheesy.. Abi is it not the same country that inflation has crippled everything to the extent that a lot of people will even struggle to afford their rent with four months salary
shocked Are you still on Nairaland? Chai! It been century Lol
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by QuinModah(f): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2023
grin
walexsho:

you work in Ikeja as a case study
you earn 150k salary
a decent Room/parlour self con rent in Ikeja is very close to 1m... and you get a very nice 200k Room/Parlour self con at Sango/tollgate outskirt Ikeja with just 1k tfare per day.
Will you rent a house at Ikeja all in the name of City guy?
Firstly, most Nigerian guys will do this and after a while they get their senses back

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by QuinModah(f): 8:44am On Apr 30, 2023
mediclife1987:

With the concomitant inflation swallowing it all up.

There's really not much profit in reselling lands jarey; the profit comes in using the land for something tangible, like the supermarket you mentioned up there, or a hotel, or renting or anything; but selling that land.

You are smart, in the east, people no longer build on the land they lease it to you for 5-10yrs

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mediclife1987(m): 8:47am On Apr 30, 2023
elipheleh:

Na Jesus Christ run am for me.
Just 2 years ago I was in premium poverty and lack:

* I borrowed to marry. I couldn't even pay once or twice or even thrice. It was paid in installments.
* I couldn't not afford hotel for honey moon.
* I could not afford hospital fee for delivery.
* I could not afford house rent.
* Even feeding sef was war

I begged for all these things.

I joined an online prayer platform ([b]NDPPD LIVE ) on youtube every 7am from Monday to Fridays. where I prayed my hearts out, in less than a year, Jesus Christ turned my life story around. [/b]

In a nutshell, you don press plastic successfully.

EFCC needs to visit some churches to hear people's testimony. Na there the culprits dey...
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mediclife1987(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2023
QuinModah:
You are smart, in the east, people no longer build on the land they lease it to you for 5-10yrs

Hmmm, na we Yoruba dey mumu quick sell off our lands.

Very stupid tribe we are.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by mediclife1987(m): 8:52am On Apr 30, 2023
evictor305:
Your rent should not pass what your 3 or 4 months net salary can cover. That means if your net monthly salary is 100k, your rent should be between 300 or 400k max (Note: NET salary o). That means you will have to be saving 25k out of the 100k to meetup with your annual rent. That's around 25% of your net salary. Hope you understand

Shey you sef understand the rubbish wey you write up there?

Olodo mathematician...
Re: What Percentage Of Your Salary Goes For Rent? by QuinModah(f): 8:52am On Apr 30, 2023
Awon Omo ibo, will never sell their land, NEVER!
mediclife1987:

Hmmm, na we Yoruba dey mumu quick sell off our lands.

Very stupid tribe we are.
Baba mi, go to Ibeju Lekki awon baba ti ta gbo ile to wan be, nothing for their sons or grandsons

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do Some Guys Spend Lavishly On Women But Fail To Take Care Of Their Parents? / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? / Marriages Then Vs Marriages Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.