Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal (19031 Views)

NEC Recommends ₦302 Per Litre Petrol Price By February / The Moment Mahmood Yakubu Announced Postponement Of 2019 Elections (PICS) / INEC's Official Statement On Postponement Of 2019 Elections (Transcript) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by SamuelOamen: 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2023
The National Economic Council (NEC) has agreed that the plan to remove petrol subsidy should not be executed yet.

It however said all preparatory plans with various segment of government, including States and the incoming administration should be intensified.

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, who disclosed these to journalists after the Valedictory NEC meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, however added that Council agreed that the subsidy regime must be removed eventually as it is not sustainable.

“Today I was in the National Economic Council, where we discussed the issue of post-subsidy removal. Council agreed that the timing for the removal of subsidy should not be now, but that we should continue with all of the preparation works that needs to be done and that this preparation work has to be done in consultation with the states and other key stakeholders, including representatives of the incoming administration.

“Council agreed that the first subsidy must be removed earlier rather than later because it is not sustainable. We cannot afford it anymore. We have to do it in such a way that the impact of the subsidy is as much as possible, mitigated on the lives of ordinary Nigerians.

“So, this will require looking at alternatives to the post subsidy that needs to be planned for and subsequently put in place but also what needs to be done to support the people that would be most affected as a result of the removal.

“So, we will be working together with representatives of the States. We will have a plan that we will start working on putting the building blocks towards the eventual removal of the fuel subsidy.

“If I May remind the forum, that the budget for 2023 has provision for subsidy only up to June 2023 and also the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) has a provision that requires that all petroleum products must be deregulated 18 months after the effective date of the PMs removal and that period is also up to June 2023," she explained.

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking-nec-recommends-temporary-suspension-of-planned-subsidy-removal/

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by malcom1X: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2023
Tinubu said if you like protest he will remove it.

So is NEC fighting the new administration? When the country just collected a loan of up to a billion dollars to remove subsidy?

Make una remove am make we rest.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by 001Lagos: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2023
Bola Tinubu already said that nobody can stop him from removing subsidy so NEC aren't serious people

Nigerians don't know what they've gotten themselves into by voting a dictator and highly corrupt man like Tinubu

Anybody wey wan sell him papa house or land in Lagos when hunger starts hitting you up due to harsh effect of subsidy removal should Sha let us know

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by malcom1X: 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2023
001Lagos:
Bola Tinubu already said that nobody can stop him from removing subsidy so NEC aren't serious people

Nigerians don't know what they've gotten themselves into by voting a dictator and highly corrupt man like Tinubu

My question is the protest coming up, what will they be protesting against?
No be them vote am in?
That's where they'll realize their mistakes.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by TheRareGem1(f): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2023
Subsidy should be removed please. Let the money be out into good use for the betterment of the people

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by 001Lagos: 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2023
malcom1X:

My question is the protest coming up, what will they be protesting against?
No be them vote am in?
That's where they'll realize their mistakes.
Let them protest na, The Endsars massacre at Lekki toll gate will be child's play compared to what Tinubu will do to the protesters now that he's the illegitimate President

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by 001Lagos: 4:33pm On Apr 27, 2023
TheRareGem1:
Subsidy should be removed please. Let the money be out into good use for the betterment of the people
Has Tinubu stopped collecting 10% of Lagos revenue Monthly till date ?

This time, He will collect 20% of every revenue that Nigeria generates

20 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by blacknp(m): 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2023
001Lagos:

Anybody wey wan sell him papa house or land in Lagos when hunger starts hitting you up due to harsh effect of subsidy removal should Sha let us know
Only poor lazy minded people will still be supporting subsidy on petroleum products.

That is why I forever despise Jonathan Goodluck, he would have saved Nigeria in 2011 & be remembered as a legend, Yet he chickened out because of protest by this same APC people.

Useless Coward.

14 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by matify83: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2023
Policy summersaults and the Buhari led government are like siemess twins.

At least, they will not muddle the water for the incoming administration.

Let the ensuing "kasala" that will herald the subsidy removal be the creation of the new government.

4 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by 001Lagos: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2023
blacknp:
Only poor lazy minded people will still be supporting subsidy on petroleum products.
I hope you will say the same by the time the effects of subsidy removal starts hitting you hard ?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by blacknp(m): 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2023
001Lagos:
I hope you will say the same by the time the effects of subsidy removal starts hitting you hard ?
Suffer today, & enjoy tomorrow, Nigeria will never move forward, there is no industrialized nation that did not sacrifice once upon a time in their history, even the great United States, went through the Great Depression to take over the world less than 20 years after.

Due to the commencement of the Second World War, we need reorientation in Nigeria either voluntary or by force.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Racoon(m): 4:44pm On Apr 27, 2023
And the subsidy corruption continues. The worst set of scammers and fraudulent people ever seen in government.Watch their silly zombies praise this senselessness now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by greatiyk4u(m): 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2023
Better let Tinubu himself remove it so we know who to blame and take our mother of all protest to if poorly managed

4 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by suxkill: 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2023
If they like make the remove subsidy.

Once the remove it and petrol becomes 500/liter, I'll increase the price of my gala hulking business and every Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba must patronize me in my 2 by 2 shop.

6 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by blacknp(m): 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2023
suxkill:
If they like make the remove subsidy.

Once the remove it and petrol becomes 500/liter, I'll increase the price of my gala hulking business and every Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba must patronize me in my 2 by 2 shop.
Does it make any sense to you why the price of petroleum products that is hauled from Lagos State will be the same price as that in Abuja?

You want the Federal Government to bare the brunt for the transportation, not market forces?

3 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
TheRareGem1:

Yeye talk.
Were all the ones Malami and Co recovered from looters used "for the betterment of the people"?

What would they do with the subsidy funds that they haven't been able to do since the oil boom?

If they remove that subsidy, which is the only thing Nigerians benefit from their oil, you guys will just suffer in vain.
The funds would be relooted.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by ubest1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
How the one remove from diesel & kerosene benefited you?

TheRareGem1:

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2023
PMB surely doesn’t want to go down in history as the president who removed the subsidies

4 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Penguin2: 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
Hmmm

So what about the $800million loan already acquired from World Bank that I’m sure you people have embezzled?

That one don go sara?🤔

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by YesDaddyTill203: 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
Why?
It should be removed as soon as possible. I expect Tinubu to remove it asap. Let the market determine the price just like in any real capitalist economy.
It will be hard in the beginning but the end will justify the means. It will be much much better in the long run. No pain no gain.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Primusinterpares(m): 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
Really ??

These people ain't serious o.

We don't have leaders at all.

2 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by illicit(m): 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2023
I don't understand anything about this subsidy removal anymore

5 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Agrocharcoal52: 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2023
The is a welcome development

4 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by dyera(m): 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2023
Buhari removed subsidy from gas, kero and diesel their price jumped from around N300 to N800 Nigerians did not die, they adapted and moved on. The government should stop beating around the bush, the earlier they remove subsidy from petrol and let the price increase, the earlier Nigerians will adjust to the price increment.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Oyindamolah: 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2023
Nothing will ever surprise me in this terrorist sponsors, terrorist sympathizers, corrupt, deceitful, wicked and evil government anymore. For all the pains that you are causing Nigerians, double portions will you and your entire family members get. Remember the late Abacha ooo.

4 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by MasterJayJay: 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2023

Subsidy na scam.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Gbadoboy: 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2023
This is not the issue now. The issue is punishing the Ibos for not voting Tinubu.

3 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by YesDaddyTill203: 5:22pm On Apr 27, 2023
001Lagos:

Another IPOB terrorist spotted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Ara21(f): 5:23pm On Apr 27, 2023
I wonder how people will survive if things gets harder this.

5 Likes

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by Lovenorth: 5:23pm On Apr 27, 2023
They are only afraid of the consequences
Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by YesDaddyTill203: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2023
Gbadoboy:
This is not the issue now. The issue is punishing the Ibos for not voting Tinubu.
Ipob terrorist are punishing themselves. No one cares about their sorry miserable low lives.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEC Recommends Postponement Of Petrol Subsidy Removal by ThinkSmarter: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2023
I suggest the next govt should remove it after putting some palliatives/cushion in place

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo Of Oshiomhole, Iara And I Go Dye At Victory Party For Obaseki In Benin / Kashamu’s Supporters Dare PDP, Organise Rally For Aspirants / Buhari, Saraki, Dogara, El-rufai, Ganduje, Others Mourn Balarabe Musa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.