Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,204 members, 7,860,328 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:29 AM

Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. (6622 Views)

PO &LP Final Address Forces Tinubu's Counsel To Reply That Abj 25% Is Compulsory / Another Perspective On Whether 25% Is Mandatory In The Fct Or Not / Previous FCT Election Results And Why 25% Is A Must . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Dreamhighnow(m): 11:08am On May 06, 2023
Spy360:

If votes were equal, then only a simple majority of votes should guarantee winning an election. There's a reason spread is critical. That spread also affects FCT, because the president shall be it's administrative head.

The FCT is not a state. It is the seat of the president. That is why your child will tell you 36states and capital. For you to be president you need 25% in 2/3 of 36states and 25% in the capital - your seat of power.
na Tinubu boys. They can defend mirage and bend the unbendable

3 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by malcom1X: 11:27am On May 06, 2023
AntiChristian:

These Obidients won't agree with you!
It's just like Datti on Channels TV saying the Supreme Court must agree with their own interpretation or else....

All votes are equal in Nigeria!
Nigeria is composed of 36 States and the FCT.
FCT is a component of Nigeria like other states. It does not have superior electoral advantage.

Is FCT treated like a state in Nigeria according to Section 299 of the constitution?

CHAT GPT
Yes, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is treated like a state in Nigeria according to Section 299 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

Section 299 of the constitution provides that "References in this Constitution to the Federation or Nigeria shall be construed as including references to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja". This means that any reference to Nigeria or the Federation in the constitution also includes the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Furthermore, Section 299(2) of the constitution provides that "The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation". This means that the constitution treats the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were a state, and the provisions of the constitution, including those relating to the rights and obligations of citizens, the conduct of government business, and the allocation of revenue, apply to the FCT as they do to the states of the federation.

In summary, the constitution treats the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, like a state in Nigeria, and it is subject to the same laws and regulations as the other states of the federation.

Did APC win 25% in 24 states?
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 11:38am On May 06, 2023
Markdune3333:

Is there a law that states that to win the league, you must win arsenal??

Its an analogy
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 11:45am On May 06, 2023
Dreamhighnow:

Guy I’m not obidient but this matter needed to be contested and interpreted in the court of law. We must not be bending every rule just to suit our narratives. When I read your comment I just laugh and I remember why Nigeria still the way it is. But when people like u eventually become a victim of the evil you allow,…

My brother,I know the supreme court well.the right judgment is to make it non mandatory.it doesnt make sense to say fct is mandatory na.

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 11:48am On May 06, 2023
Spy360:

If votes were equal, then only a simple majority of votes should guarantee winning an election. There's a reason spread is critical. That spread also affects FCT, because the president shall be it's administrative head.

The FCT is not a state. It is the seat of the president. That is why your child will tell you 36states and capital. For you to be president you need 25% in 2/3 of 36states and 25% in the capital - your seat of power.

If votes are equal,fct won't be mandatory.the president can sit anywhere and rule not necessarily the fct.instead,the law will say the president mustvwin fct as the head.

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 11:52am On May 06, 2023
Penguin2:

Lol!

You’ve abandoned logic for vituperations.

Well, if any status quo is to be maintained, then it is the fact that 25% in Abuja is a NECESSARY prerequisite to be declared a president-elect in Nigeria; a provision Tinubu failed to satisfy which invalidates his declaration.

I told you obi will fail.this time,you will abandon this moniker.my annoyance is that after obi fails,you will still bring up useless arguments instead of refusing to learn from your superiors.if you can't learn from me,why not learn from fergie001

3 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 12:01pm On May 06, 2023
Markdune3333:

Yes...but one has a requirement while the other doesn't...
The former requires 25% in FCT while the latter doesn't require beating arsenal

We dont know whether 25% is required in fct.the And is open to interpretation but I am sure that the court will uphold tinubu

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SpatialKing(m): 12:02pm On May 06, 2023
AntiChristian:

FCT IS NOT SPECIAL!
IT IS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER STATE IN NIGERIA!

The constitution didn't say FCT is special..

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Ibechris2: 12:02pm On May 06, 2023
SpatialKing:

How can you deem FCT a state because of Elections?

If you say FCT is a state then who is their governor?

Na their papa be governors...criminally minded people.

Don't waste ur time asking them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SpatialKing(m): 12:03pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

We dont know whether 25% is required in fct.the And is open to interpretation but I am sure that the court will uphold tinubu

Heaven won't fall or Nigeria won't burn if the court fails to upload Tinubu..
Same is applicable if he is uphold.

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by engineerboat(m): 12:52pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

Obidients are trying to elevate the fct above other states.if it is mandatory to get 25% in fct,then it must be mandatory in all states.do not be deceived by the And.And In is even more specific.And can also mean including.if you know how the law works,you won't push this further

At this point i think it is safe to say that you shukd allow the court do their job rather than this speculative on what you can Authoritatively ascert on

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by ItooWorWor(m): 1:24pm On May 06, 2023
SpatialKing:

The op don scam ur brain grin

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SOSinNigeria: 1:31pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

You are missing it.if the president is deemed to be the gov of fct,the constitution would have required him to win fct not get only 25%.if fct is not a state,then it is inferior to a state and its votes are not important

Stop arguing blindly due to agbado. Those that made the laws are not fools, they must have brainstormed before arriving at the Constitution.

They understand that making it mandatory for Abuja to be won would be unfair and could lead to problems since a winner might just lose Abuja marginally.

However, for you to be popular enough to win a presidential election, it shouldn't be difficult for such candidate to also get 25% in FCT.

Abuja has no elected governor, the president elect acts as their defacto governor. Therefore allowing someone who is totally unacceptable to them to the point of not even getting ordinary 25% becomes unfair.

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Spy360(m): 1:33pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

If votes are equal,fct won't be mandatory.the president can sit anywhere and rule not necessarily the fct.instead,the law will say the president mustvwin fct as the head.
Exactly. Votes are not equal and so FCT is mandatory. There's a difference between equal and equity. What the constitution demands is equity not equality.
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 1:34pm On May 06, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

Stop arguing blindly due to agbado. Those that made the laws are not fools, they must have brainstormed before arriving at the Constitution.

They understand that making it mandatory for Abuja to be won would be unfair and could lead to problems since a winner might just lose Abuja marginally.

However, for you to be popular enough to win a presidential election, it shouldn't be difficult for such candidate to also get 25% in FCT.

Abuja has no elected governor, the president elect acts as their defacto governor. Therefore allowing someone who is totally unacceptable to them to the point of not even getting ordinary 25% becomes unfair.

The president constituency is Nigeria not abuja.legislators too should have a percentage vote in fct going by this rubbish analogy.if a president is the gov,then he must win abuja not 25% sir.the supreme court will trash this portiob

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 1:36pm On May 06, 2023
Spy360:

Exactly. Votes are not equal and so FCT is mandatory. There's a difference between equal and equity. What the constitution demands is equity not equality.

Actually,votes are equal and theres equity also among states.as fae as no state is mandatory, abuja too isn't.in any case,the apex court will do the needful

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 1:38pm On May 06, 2023
SpatialKing:

Fct is not deemed a state just because of elections.section 299 is wideranging

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SpatialKing(m): 1:39pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

Fct is not deemed a state just because of elections.section 299 is wideranging

AND FCT is clearly written
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Spy360(m): 1:44pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

Actually,votes are equal and theres equity also among states.as fae as no state is mandatory, abuja too isn't.in any case,the apex court will do the needful
Your problem is that you try to use your emotions and logic to interpret the law which shouldn't be. The law is stated in simple English and a literal interpretation is first required before you begin to consider other points.

You didn't write the law so stop telling us what you think. It's not about what you or I think, it's what the law says that matters.

Personally I would not want FCT to be mandatory. But my personal opinion does not count in the interpretation of law.
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SOSinNigeria: 1:45pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

The president constituency is Nigeria not abuja.legislators too should have a percentage vote in fct going by this rubbish analogy.if a president is the gov,then he must win abuja not 25% sir.the supreme court will trash this portiob

Stop comparing apples with oranges. Legislators are in Abuja to represent their various constituents!

Governors sit in their various state capitals to govern their states!

Nigeria's president sits in Abuja to rule Nigeria and also govern Abuja as it's defacto governor since they don't have any direct ruler like other states in Nigeria.

That is why it is mandatory to get at least 25% support from them. Again, for any president to be popular enough to win the election, getting 25% in FCT shouldn't be that difficult!

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by SenatePresdo(m): 1:54pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

Section 299 has ordered us to treat it like a state

That's not true.

299 section treated it as a state only on that section 299.
It's exclusive from other sections.
Go and read it again.

If you think that all sections are Unified, why then did the section of State Governor and house of Assembly elections not apply to Abuja? If Abuja is to be treated as if it was a state in every section?

So section 299 was for section 299 only.
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Penguin2: 2:08pm On May 06, 2023
garfield1:

I told you obi will fail.this time,you will abandon this moniker.my annoyance is that after obi fails,you will still bring up useless arguments instead of refusing to learn from your superiors.if you can't learn from me,why not learn from fergie001

No matter what the courts decide, it won’t change the fact that Nigerians voted for Peter Obi of the Labour Party in their majority to become president of Nigeria. But INEC in collusion with criminals manipulated the result to the contrary.

This truth I shall hold and defend for the rest of my life and even write it in history books, like the 1993 elections has always been defended. I’m sure elements like you must have supported the government of the day (IBB) in his decision to annul the election. But men of conscience who see truth and defend it stood their ground to insist that the right outcome of the election must be told. These men went ahead to stand against the government and fought for democracy and the truth until the got it.

So, my friend, don’t expect me to abandon my moniker even if Tinubu and Shettima do 8 years each. I will be here to remind the world and all Nigerians that they are mandate thieves and social misfits who got away with murder and robbery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by damirosky60: 2:11pm On May 06, 2023
Simple English AND is difficult for English speaking country to interpret. Our constitution is not a puzzle to solve. It's clear and simple 25% is a MUST in FCT.

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Raf4: 3:40pm On May 06, 2023
SpatialKing:

The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and
More: https://jurist.ng/constitution/sec-299

If you read well you will understand that section 299 just affirm or justifies why is mandatory to get 25% in FCT..
Because just like other states the president serves as the Governor of FCT..
Now ask yourself, how do you become governor of FCT (as state) without winning 25% votes of the state?

As it stands the only reason that would stop Tinubu from being disqualified are corrupt, partisan and bigoted Judges....

So, your state governor becomes one because he won 25% votes of your state?
Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by Benwallt(m): 3:44pm On May 06, 2023
But assuming 25% in FCT is compulsory, will that make cancerous Pandora president? Eboes are too gullible

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by pquaver(m): 3:59pm On May 06, 2023
SpatialKing:

The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and
More: https://jurist.ng/constitution/sec-299

If you read well you will understand that section 299 just affirm or justifies why is mandatory to get 25% in FCT..
Because just like other states the president serves as the Governor of FCT..
Now ask yourself, how do you become governor of FCT (as state) without winning 25% votes of the state?

As it stands the only reason that would stop Tinubu from being disqualified are corrupt, partisan and bigoted Judges....

Are you saying Buhari is not the president of southeast? cos last time i checked he didnt score 25% in southeast states

3 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by pquaver(m): 4:18pm On May 06, 2023
Spy360:

Stop arguing blindly.. If votes are equal, that means imo votes =abuja votes
Kebbi votes = Abuja votes...
And so on with others states of tge federation
Therefore if abuja =mandatory
Imo= mandatory
Kebbi = mandatory etc..
So if one can win by winning majority votes and winning and scoring 25% in other states elsewhere without scoring25% imo or kebbi = one can also become president by winning majority votes, winning and scoring 25% percent elsewhere without abuja..

Vores are equal means abuja = anambra =imo=lagos =kano etc
Buharri became president without anambra and enugu votes
But enugu votes = fct

So u see Tinubu can be president without fct
Because fct=anambra = kano etc

I hope this finally helps u understand

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 4:43pm On May 06, 2023
Penguin2:

No matter what the courts decide, it won’t change the fact that Nigerians voted for Peter Obi of the Labour Party in their majority to become president of Nigeria. But INEC in collusion with criminals manipulated the result to the contrary.

This truth I shall hold and defend for the rest of my life and even write it in history books, like the 1993 elections has always been defended. I’m sure elements like you must have supported the government of the day (IBB) in his decision to annul the election. But men of conscience who see truth and defend it stood their ground to insist that the right outcome of the election must be told. These men went ahead to stand against the government and fought for democracy and the truth until the got it.

So, my friend, don’t expect me to abandon my moniker even if Tinubu and Shettima do 8 years each. I will be here to remind the world and all Nigerians that they are mandate thieves and social misfits who got away with murder and robbery.

Abiola won clean.the results are everywhere.where are obi results showing that he won? Did obi do well In ne and nw? Outside Lagos,what was his performance? Did he sweep the ss? What was his performance in kogi,Niger,kwara? Theres a thin line between delusion and lunacy.better stop this hateful bigotry

2 Likes

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 4:52pm On May 06, 2023
SenatePresdo:

That's not true.

299 section treated it as a state only on that section 299.
It's exclusive from other sections.
Go and read it again.

If you think that all sections are Unified, why then did the section of State Governor and house of Assembly elections not apply to Abuja? If Abuja is to be treated as if it was a state in every section?

So section 299 was for section 299 only.

Not true.section 299 is all encompassing.all other matters taken to court concerning fct,the supreme court has upheld section 299

1 Like

Re: Fact File; Obj Vs Buhari (2003), 25% Is Compulsory In FCT. by garfield1: 4:54pm On May 06, 2023
SOSinNigeria:

Stop comparing apples with oranges. Legislators are in Abuja to represent their various constituents!

Governors sit in their various state capitals to govern their states!

Nigeria's president sits in Abuja to rule Nigeria and also govern Abuja as it's defacto governor since they don't have any direct ruler like other states in Nigeria.

That is why it is mandatory to get at least 25% support from them. Again, for any president to be popular enough to win the election, getting 25% in FCT shouldn't be that difficult!

Oga,nass members sit in abuja and make laws for all Nigerians.they represent all Nigerians and since they rep abuja,they do must get votes from abuja.govs sit in state capitals and also must get 25% there going by your mundane analogy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tribunal: The Difference Between “Rerun” And “Runoff” Election. / I Did Not Spend ₦‎7.3 Billion Contingency Fund On Myself, Says Akeredolu / Relocate Head Offices Of Oil Companies To Niger Delta Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.