Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,102 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President (18079 Views)

10th NASS: Akpabio Walks Tightrope As Opposition Swells / APC Governors Angry Over Tinubu’s Choice Of Shettima, To Meet Buhari Today / Throwback Photo Of Akpabio And Joi Nunieh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by References1: 6:24pm On May 07, 2023
Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State has allegedly moved against the choice of president-elect for the position of the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, THE WHISTLER has learnt.

Sources with adequate knowledge of the development said Uzodimma is unhappy that despite huge support from the Southeast towards Tinubu’s victory at the 2023 presidential election, the zone is being overlooked.

The revelation came after a senator-elect from Imo North Senatorial District, Patrick Ndubueze, joined the race for the position of Senate President ahead of the 10th Assembly inauguration.

Ndubueze declared his bid in an open letter to the All Progressives Congress, APC and elected senators on Sunday.

It was gathered that the Southern caucus of the APC felt compelled to allow the Senate President to go to the Southeast but that Tinubu countered that and preferred the Southsouth, thereby settling for Akpabio.

Akpabio, who was a Minister of Niger Delta in the president Muhammadu Buhari administration was reported to have received almost 60 endorsement from the senators-elect who have been compelled to append their signature by the President-elect to ensure their compliance.

But the public declaration of Akpabio as Tinubu’s consensus pick in Calabar, Cross River State, by the Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, has riled other contenders against the move.

Ganduje while playing guest to Cross River State Governor, alongside senior members of the Buhari administration said, “Akpabio, the uncommon senator would be the next president of the Senate.”

The declaration was received with seriousness owing to his relationship with Tinubu especially when he added that, “it has been agreed” that it’s the former Minister of Niger Delta.

The declaration was followed by Akpabio’s public display of leadership in Rivers State on Thursday when he was seen introducing some of the senators-elect to Tinubu in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Tinubu was in Port Harcourt to commission some projects executed by the State Governor, Nyesom Wike.

Despite Akpabio edging closer to the prize, another senator-elect from Imo State, Osita Osinazu has continued to campaign for the position- a development seen as indication of Uzodinma’s opposition to the choice of the president-elect.

Also, former Zamfara State Governor, Abdul’Aziz Yari, has continued to campaign and has rejected the idea of having Akpabio as the consensus pick.

Yari said, “What is going to happen that day, it is going to happen based on the instructions of the constitution and not for anyone.”

In addition to the forces up against Akpabio, the Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, on Sunday rejected Akpabio, insisting the Northwest should be allowed to produce the next Senate President.

A statement signed by the chieftain of the ACF, Alhaji Musa Saidu said, “We hereby dissociate ourselves from the endorsement of Sen. Godswill Akpabio for the Senate Presidency by a coalition of Northern groups.

No true Northern group will want to endorse Akpabio for a sensitive position like that of Senate President because he is not friendly with the North,” the forum said.

In his letter to the APC, Ndubueze insisted that, “In respect of current realities in this time which requires sensitive leadership in the Senate in the moulds of focused leadership, one that is people-centric and supportive.

“Having been persuaded of my track record as a ranking legislator, a politician of more than 35 years standing and a personal character that had stood the test of time for integrity and commitment to the people, I, Engr. Patrick Ndubueze, being a ranking member of the National Assembly, do desire to offer myself to contest the office of the Senate President of the 10th National Assembly strongly believing in my capacity to stand in the roles of the leadership required at this time.

“I trust that you will bless my aspiration as declared with your active support through appropriate counselling, advice and networking, to ensure that this noble cause sees the light of the day.

“While I await your kind acceptance of my declaration of intention, sir, please, accept, the assurances of my esteemed regards.”

He also despatched a letter to individual Senator-elect in the Red Chamber, saying, “Distinguished Senator, over the last 32 years, I have remained committed to the good cause of the Nigerian project.

“And had always been persuaded that our sovereign advancement inclusive of the desired progressions of millions of Nigerians is better enabled through the instrumentality of appropriately engineered legislations which are superintended by a knowledgeable and motivated political head of the National Assembly who is equipped for thoroughness, moderation and vision-driven compassion.

“It is for these reasons, and their fulfilment, Distinguished Senator, that I have decided to declare my intention to contest the office of the President of the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. I do not treat this declaration lightly, Distinguished Senator. I, indeed, have been on a consultation frenzy with critical stakeholders across the length and breadth of our country to positive acclaim.

“This letter to your good self is in continuation of the consultation I had embarked upon, by which, I am of the hope that you will avail me a time to physically meet with you, even as I now canvass for your support and advice as we head to the day of the election of the principal officers of the National Assembly.

“While thanking you, profusely, for the opportunity of this engagement, Distinguished Senator, please accept my highest regards for your good self.”

The APC has 59 senators-elect while opposition parties have 50 senators-elect, in the 109 Upper Legislative House.

A breakdown of the opposition parties standing shows the PDP has 36, the LP has 8, the NNPP has 2 seats respectively.

Others are the SDP with 2 seats and the YPP and APGA with 1 seat each.

https://thewhistler.ng/opposition-swells-against-tinubu-over-support-for-akpabio-as-senate-president/

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Illuminatiship(m): 6:27pm On May 07, 2023
Akpabio should be opc's president and not senate president.that guy go finish Nigeria senate and wreck Nigeria, tinubu and akpabio should never lead anything in Nigeria except a town hall meeting..

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by NzogbuNzogbu: 6:28pm On May 07, 2023
Ipob opposition

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by BrotherFolake: 6:29pm On May 07, 2023
😎

The voice of Jacob, and the hand of Esau.

Northerners with their born to rule Mentality which have have not yielded any result to them.

We know them, they want to use Governor Hope Uzodimma to bring division amongst the United South.

As far as someone from the South is ruling Nigeria, we are happy with it. We don't want anyone from the North anymore.

Buhari should vacate office with immediate effect because his regime is over.

After Buhari leaves office, no one from the North will ever rule Nigeria again. Take it to the Bank.

The South has taken over

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by LeoDeKing: 6:33pm On May 07, 2023
Too late.

Godswill Akpabio is the Senate President of Nigeria 10th Senate.

Those searching for a missing manhood should go to agulu. I heard it was dropped there.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Feintline: 6:36pm On May 07, 2023
That is what happens when an unconstitutional selects someone

8 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by yinkus6750(m): 6:37pm On May 07, 2023
Too much interference and diverging opinions
Let the Senators decide among themselves.
June is just around the corner.

1 Like

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Tntsi: 6:40pm On May 07, 2023
Senators know that OBIDATTI tinubu is not a constitutional president.
They know OBIDATTI has a water tight case.
They know a presidency that has no constitutional backing is an illegal one.

They know OBIDATTI is coming..

15 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Never4getU: 6:41pm On May 07, 2023
Illuminatiship:
Akpabio should be opc's president and not senate president.that guy go finish Nigeria senate and wreck Nigeria, tinubu and akpabio should never lead anything in Nigeria except a town hall meeting..
grin grin
Yet he is ur president for another 8yrs there's nothing u gonna do about it...am sure u're now relying on any opportunity to raise ur voice at the top of the roof against Tinubu. Relax Chikodi grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Cassandraloius: 7:08pm On May 07, 2023
yinkus6750:
Too much interference and diverging opinions
Let the Senators decide among themselves.
June is just around the corner.

My point exactly.
Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by helinues: 7:10pm On May 07, 2023
Which opposition abi in house desperado Kalu trying all his best to undermine Sen Akpabio. He met with Atiku and other Pdp wigs some days ago.

Kalu will learn in a bitter way

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 7:19pm On May 07, 2023
Both Tinubu and Akpabio are shameless thieves. They both have corruption cases hanging on their useless heads.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Throwback: 7:19pm On May 07, 2023
There is no opposition, just the usual empty igbosition to Southern progress.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 07, 2023
The South-South needs to be rewarded for their support!

Anyone from the South-South is fit

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:20pm On May 07, 2023
How can such a detasteful character be face of senate.?

1 Like

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by VinnyBaba: 7:21pm On May 07, 2023
President-THIEF
Vice President-BOKO HARAM WARLORD
Senate President-THIEF.😔 🤦

This APC party is something Else. undecided

Resembles the German Nazi Party of the Second World War era! sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by SenatePresdo(m): 7:21pm On May 07, 2023
In as much as I don't believe in restoration of Presidential mandate in a gentle and legal way, due to the way Nigerian system of Judgement is wired.

But do you know that Bola Ahmed Tinubu is an unconstitutional Elected President?

Well, if the other candidates and political Parties can stomach such Daylight violation of our constitution and Democracy, who am I that doesn't belong to any political party to worry myself about it.

A Better Nigeria is still serving Term in the dungeon of Guantanamo maximum prison.

7 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 7:21pm On May 07, 2023
Throwback:
There is,no opposition, just the usual empty igbosition to Southern progress.

Cc: Seun, Lalasticlala, Nlfpmod

Rule 3

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by GeneralPula: 7:22pm On May 07, 2023
Fake news from Made in Aba Blog..

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Lillyglow(m): 7:22pm On May 07, 2023
Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Racoon(m): 7:22pm On May 07, 2023
I find it disgusting that of all the Senators on ground, the APC is rooting for an utterly corrupt man in person of Akpabio who is facing EFCC prosecution for 108B corruption and despite their demonisation of anything PDP in their 8 years of miserable rule of this nation will now come to accept him as senate president

3 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Abaman001(m): 7:23pm On May 07, 2023
Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by blacknp(m): 7:23pm On May 07, 2023
Tntsi:
Senators know that OBIDATTI tinubu is not a constitutional president.
They know OBIDATTI has a water tight case.
They know a presidency that has no constitutional backing is an illegal one.

They know OBIDATTI is coming
Very surprising how people can bare faced deceive themselves?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Curious345: 7:24pm On May 07, 2023
Off the mic
Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by humberjade: 7:24pm On May 07, 2023
Someone whose election is around the corner? Very funny, he dares not. He has no choice but to support the President elect's choice, otherwise, he should kiss his return goodbye. He's got no leverage here.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Menclothing: 7:24pm On May 07, 2023
This same tactics want to be use against akpabio lol

He will win

2 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by Allmiron: 7:25pm On May 07, 2023
Shuku shuku bam bam
Eni toba wu ko be .

7 Likes

Re: Opposition Swells Against Tinubu's Choice Of Akpabio As Senate President by ZombiePUNISHER: 7:25pm On May 07, 2023
LeoDeKing:
Too late.

Godswill Akpabio is the Senate President of Nigeria 10th Senate.

Those searching for a missing manhood should go to agulu. I heard it was dropped there.
NzogbuNzogbu:
Ipob opposition

Never knew Abdullaziz Yari is IpoB

So many Druggies on this forum

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Govt: I Won’t Accept To Serve As FCT Minister – El-rufai / Crowd Forming At Eagle Square Over Fuel Subsidy Removal? / EFCC Seizes Ngozi Olojeme's 46 Properties Over N68bn Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.