Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223077 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Oneil2: 9:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
Hi all,

Just a quick one. I have a bachelors from Unilag (2.1) and an MSc in Finance from a good UK business school (not an a-list school like Oxford, Cambridge, or LBS oh). I have a year's internship programme commencing soon with JP Morgan (back office role) during which I intend to start a professional programme with either ACCA or CIMA (still looking to GOD for direction) but I'm not ready to be saddled with the demands the CFA programme (lazy boy abi? Lol). Nonetheless, I have a keen interest in investment banking and private equity (anything finance or with a blend of accounting basically) at the same time oil and gas remuneration package is a very tempting one (indecision). My major worry about a career in the oil and gas industry is progression which may not be as rapid as a career in a proper finance house (given that finance and other non technical roles are regarded as 'support roles'), I may be wrong. If I decide to pursue a career in oil and gas, will my experience in JP Morgan count much? Are there solid finance roles in oil and gas firms that entail investments? I have a funny feeling that the roles are just accounting (book keeping) type roles.

I need clarification and advice please thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
O'neil:
Hi all,

Just a quick one. I have a bachelors from Unilag (2.1) and an MSc in Finance from a good UK business school (not an a-list school like Oxford, Cambridge, or LBS oh). I have a year's internship programme commencing soon with JP Morgan (back office role) during which I intend to start a professional programme with either ACCA or CIMA (still looking to GOD for direction) but I'm not ready to be saddled with the demands the CFA programme (lazy boy abi? Lol). Nonetheless, I have a keen interest in investment banking and private equity (anything finance or with a blend of accounting basically) at the same time oil and gas remuneration package is a very tempting one (indecision). My major worry about a career in the oil and gas industry is progression which may not be as rapid as a career in a proper finance house (given that finance and other non technical roles are regarded as 'support roles'), I may be wrong. If I decide to pursue a career in oil and gas, will my experience in JP Morgan count much? Are there solid finance roles in oil and gas firms that entail investments? I have a funny feeling that the roles are just accounting (book keeping) type roles.

I need clarification and advice please thanks.

Yes there are. You have business analysts (who give advice on when to make investment decisions), commercial analysts and negotiators for example, who manage production sharing contracts and joint ventures (often with complicated equity arrangements), relationships with other shareholders in O&G facilities co-wned by different O&G firms. You also have O&G personnel involved in mergers and acquisitions, divestment and so on.

There are equity and investment type deals always being made in the O&G industry with people selling their shareholding, buying over other companies, etc.

Obviously you'll likely have to start at the bottom and learn the basics, but there are definitely career prospects. You'll likely have to work in a major centre/ head office location to get involved in many of these deals I'd suspect.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
debosky:

Yes there are. You have business analysts (who give advice on when to make investment decisions), commercial analysts and negotiators for example, who manage production sharing contracts and joint ventures (often with complicated equity arrangements), relationships with other shareholders in O&G facilities co-wned by different O&G firms. You also have O&G personnel involved in mergers and acquisitions, divestment and so on.

There are equity and investment type deals always being made in the O&G industry with people selling their shareholding, buying over other companies, etc.

Obviously you'll likely have to start at the bottom and learn the basics, but there are definitely career prospects. You'll likely have to work in a major centre/ head office location to get involved in many of these deals I'd suspect.

Not necessarily head office for business/commercial analysts but definitely for mergers and acquisitions. Also, taxation, fiscal accounting and economic modelling are also other areas of interest to people with backgrounds similar to yours.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 10:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
Thanks my Oga. cheesy
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 27, 2012
debosky: Thanks my Oga. cheesy

O serious o Debo tongue
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Oneil2: 11:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
Thanks a lot for your reply Debosky and Naijababe.

That sounds like something I'll like to be involved in. Do you know anything about visa rules in US and Canada? I just rounded my MSc in London were I currently reside, my visa expires at the end of January after which I'm expected to vacate this place. My internship program with JP Morgan in the US begins in March and there's no guaranteed permanent employment afterwards. What are my chances of securing a job there in the US or Canada upon completion of the program? A friend of mine is currently on the program was given an 18 month visa, so I think I'll be given the same. That leaves me with an extra 6 months to arrange myself somewhere. I heard US is as stiff as UK even worse. What tips can you give for other areas like Canada or Dubai? My ultimate goal is 9ja but as you know, oil jobs are bit too competitive.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by murtalaa(m): 7:45pm On Dec 11, 2012
Thanks everyone for your insightful contributions. However, my own is that i would like to know where best to work between NNPC Retail and NNPCGroup for a fresh graduate. Please anyone in the know should let me know.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Feraz(m): 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2012
Hello debosky, is there any hope for me there as an IT placement seeker? Doing mine next year.....thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
I've heard IT placements are mostly a case of who you know/contacts within the various O&G companies.

I personally don't have any contacts I can recommend, and obviously the opportunities available will be dependent on what discipline/subject you studied.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 12, 2012
debosky i'm also interested in IT placement a year duration, i study chemical and polymer engineerin pls can u b of help?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:28pm On Dec 12, 2012
^^ Like I said above, I don't have any contacts that I can provide - you can submit your cvs to the O&G companies or ask your SIWES rep on campus whether they can be of assistance.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by chemicstein: 5:31pm On Dec 15, 2012
Abeg my comrades..I just gratuated with a B.tech Industrial Chem.4rm FUTO wit a gud 2.1....do I stand a chance with Total?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by adapcee08: 12:17am On Dec 17, 2012
PLS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT TOTAL APTITUDE TEST? SHL KENEXA OR GMAT?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Gogetta(m): 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2012
Hello, I am a graduate of microbiology from a state university. I graduated with a 3rd class and I have been trying to rebuild my career ever since. As God will have it, I have job right now with the Lagos internal revenue service. I intend to pursue an ACCA qualification and I have also registered for the chartered institute of taxation of Nigeria. I'd like to know what my chances in getting a place in the O&G sector. Please house I'll appreciate a reply. Thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by toptop: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2012
Hello Debosky, is there any chance for me in any oil firm in Nigeria? I studied Economics at Bsc and Msc level. I have 7 years working experience in the banking and pension firms. And i am an ACA. Please i need clues on how to switch over to oil sector.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jerie(m): 2:43am On Jan 13, 2013
toptop: Hello Debosky, is there any chance for me in any oil firm in Nigeria? I studied Economics at Bsc and Msc level. I have 7 years working experience in the banking and pension firms. And i am an ACA. Please i need clues on how to switch over to oil sector.

Cross go Mama Nkechi shop across d road. She dey sell oil there.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by log1(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2013
Jerie:

Cross go Mama Nkechi shop across d road. She dey sell oil there.
In the first instance, he didnt direct his question to you. Why must u show us ur decadence? Pls always ignore any question u lack knowledge of or assistance. I dnt mean any harm, just change pls

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by etim4uniuyo(m): 3:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
Please distinguished ladies and gentlemen,my Name is Ita Etim a 400 level,chemical engineering student of university of uyo.I will appreciate an advice on how i go about my industrial attachment in Total E&P Nigeria limited by april 2013.thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ekyblink: 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2013
@blue diva A̶̲̥̅̊‎m sure you are not an oil worker...sincerely, real oil workers are too scared of even letting their neighbours knwz D̶̲̥̅̊α† they work there talkless of announcing in A̶̲̥̅̊‎ social network. ₪ there are also too busy to g♡ about insultin ppl in social network. A̶̲̥̅̊‎m sure this ppl are not dreaming about being A̶̲̥̅̊‎ clearner in total smiley
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ekyblink: 5:25pm On Feb 03, 2013
etim4uniuyo: Please distinguished ladies and gentlemen,my Name is Ita Etim a 400 level,chemical engineering student of university of uyo.I will appreciate an advice on how i go about my industrial attachment in Total E&P Nigeria limited by april 2013.thanks
. @ etim I think instead of dreaming to do your IT in total, you sld rather dream of doing it some where where you will be exposed to so many things that will enable you to gain more experience instead of going τ̅☺ do errand boy for them in the office. You can onli be lucky if you are posted to the field-in this case you have to get some1 to endose your doc. N/B doing your IT in total does not give you any chance of working there...it all about your head and how smart you are. smiley

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Ujawissy: 8:49am On Feb 05, 2013
Pls can a civil engineer work in an o&g company?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by hobat4cash(m): 11:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
There was an MOU-Aptitude test during the last quater of last year by Total, since then nothing has been heard about the result. Pls does anyone have any info on what is happening whether people have been shortlisted? Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Feraz(m): 10:14am On Feb 15, 2013
I have been invited for the total aptitude test holding tomorrow for Industrial Training placement.....anyone with an idea of the kinda questions they normally ask? Are the questions gmat based or shl based? Pls help.....thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by udehraphael: 8:35pm On Feb 15, 2013
Good day everyone,,pls i was given admission at middle east technical university in cyprus to study petroleum engineering and natural gas,,pls i want someone to advice me on the gp i need to get a good job,,,pls advice me pls and also i need someone to talk to me about the oiland gas company,how it is like in there
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 3:40pm On Feb 16, 2013
^^ I don't know much about the middle east technical university, but I don't think it's renowned for producing petroleum engineers.

You may struggle to get into O&G companies (in Nigeria at least) if you're competing against people who went to schools in the UK/US, or even graduates from top schools UI/OAU/Uniport/Unilag etc in Nigeria.

It's always advisable to go to well known universities if you choose to study outside of Nigeria. That said, there's no rule saying you can't get a job with your degree.

As for any degree, aim for first class/2:1 if you can (I don't know the grading system used in Cyprus).
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by udehraphael: 7:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
@debosky,,tans alot,,,does that mean that if i graduate from this school @25yrs because am 21 now and then go for my masters in a well know university in usa,,will i still get a job@27 because the masters is 2yrs
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 7:45pm On Feb 16, 2013
udehraphael: @debosky,,tans alot,,,does that mean that if i graduate from this school @25yrs because am 21 now and then go for my masters in a well know university in usa,,will i still get a job@27 because the masters is 2yrs

You can get a job at 27, 28, 29 or even 30 if you have the desired skills/qualifications. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by udehraphael: 7:53pm On Feb 16, 2013
Thanks alot bebosky
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by mckayne: 5:41am On Feb 17, 2013
Debosky,

What would you say about an MASc in oil & Gas in Canada. You made a comment earlier about it being a "generalist course used to lure unsuspecting students".
Would you be kind enough to elaborate why this is and why you would advice against one studying such a course.

Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by presiade(m): 12:17pm On Feb 17, 2013
I studied Agric. Engineering at OAU, though I applied for Mechanical Engineering then; I now have admission for MSc in Mechanical Engineering at two UK Unis (Leeds and Sheff. H.), the challege now is the funding although, I have applied for some scholarship opportunities. I want to secure a job in an O & G coy, but the discrimination is just too much against agric engr. Please, I need a serious advice on my move... Right now I'm out of employ and the course starts by September.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by udehraphael: 12:50pm On Feb 17, 2013
Goodday everyone,pls i need someone to advice on this,,i have a close friend,,he graduated from middle east technical university in north cyprus,,he wants to go for masters in petroleum engineering,,pls which university is best to attend for masters
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
Ogbeche77:
Accountant, Economist, Soil Scientist, Plant Scientist, Biochemist, Human Resource, Chemist, Enviromentalist... The list goes on
soo glad to know this, ws thinkin Biochemists dont hv a chance..my questn nw is do i need to do any professional course to be eligible and pls in what sector of an oil firm does a Boichemist work??

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.