Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,557 members, 7,823,448 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? (19015 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / R-kelly Saga And The Role Of Good Parenting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by VinnyBaba: 4:53am On May 17, 2023
sportskid:
The true purpose of flogging or any other kind of discipline is not necessarily to change or make a child good or bad, it is simply to let them know that there will always be consequences for bad behavior. Today the consequence may be 12 strokes, tomorrow it could be 12years imprisonment.

THANK YOU, BRO. šŸ‘šŸ‘

This is what Many do NOT understand. sad

Look@ Seun Kuti that Boldly, Slapped a policeman.
And See how he Ended. undecided

The essence of Flogging and other Displinary Actions is to Let the Child know that in the Future
Such Misdemeanors by him or her will be Treated well by the Govt.
Or even Brutally by the Society
E.g. the Aluu Boys in 2012 that Allegedly Stole Phones. šŸ˜•šŸ˜’
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 5:03am On May 17, 2023
bepositive11:
If someone flogs you for making a mistake today, what will you do to them?

Flogging is physical abuse not discipline. You don't have to hurt a child physically or psychologically in the name of discipline.

Keep flogging the empathy out of your children. There's no point trying to explain to you.

And stop comparing Western children with African children. Regardless of whether they are Western or African, children who were brought up in loving and healthy environments with no form of abuse are the best behaved.

Thatā€™s why western nation are churning out gang members and drug addicts faster than any continent on Earth.

In the name of freedom and right, kids go wrong and they keep enrolling them in therapy classes, what a hot slap could have fixed.

You cannot take discipline away from Africa, I know how it goes in the West and will never support any move to abolish flogging.

Even the Bible made mention of it in several chapters, books and verses, and even though If I ignore religious beliefs, you will still find it nature. Animals spank their kids. They set boundaries and rules for them.

Please donā€™t act westernized, you know what such laws as done to kids from that side.

Kids be talking to their trash to their teachers in language as that should have been corrected at home, and still would be termed as rights, because they donā€™t reset them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by BRIMBRAM: 5:11am On May 17, 2023
alyarmouk:

With oraimo cord

grin
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Nobody: 5:11am On May 17, 2023
But it could also mean that she's from an abusive family and she's accustomed to the idea of using violence as it would've been the only thing she learned from home.

If as a child you grow up in a family that uses drugs, chances are you're also going to start using drugs from a very young age because it's a normal thing at home.

Some of these rebellious kids also need help because you'd beat the child up only for you to end up in prison sharing a cell with a cold blooded killer.. grin grin grin
being:
Imagine d magic positive change, caning would do to her. Beating helps a small child with self control. When a small child remembers d possibility of being beaten, the child quickly does away with unwanted habits.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Bfly: 5:16am On May 17, 2023
Don't get carried away by the western culture. Those that were not properly flogged are the reason for the bastadized society we have today. Flogging shouldn't go beyond primary school by both parents and school teachers. Flogging is necessary. Plus other forms of punishment too.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 5:26am On May 17, 2023
Yes I think so.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Chochovini: 5:33am On May 17, 2023
Jakumo:
That picture of a man beating an underage girl on her ass just makes my blood boil. I would love to face that man in hand-to-hand combat to see how well such a sick sexual pervert can handle himself against a real man versed in martial arts
. So, what would you have him do Bruce Lee? Flog her on her breast or pussy?
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Chochovini: 5:40am On May 17, 2023
BRIMBRAM:

He should have flogged her on her head instead. I agree with you. grin
. Hahahahaha you are funny. What a sacarsm.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Chochovini: 5:50am On May 17, 2023
BRIMBRAM:

grin okay her neck would have been better.
. Lols Na you fit dat feminist wey come dey open im mouth waaaaaa dey spew rubbish jare!
I should flog a male child on the buttocks but not female. Rubbish. Whats so special? Why the preference or choice part of flogging?

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by God2man2again(m): 5:56am On May 17, 2023
In reality, flogging will work effectively with a lot of counseling and advice.

Why are you beating the child?

You must be able to explain in clear terms to the child the reason for the flogging, hence, it becomes ineffective.

The flogging create a kind of strike in the heart of the child to strengthen the conscience not to do bad things, it is for those between the primary school stage. When a child is getting to 16 or 18, it becomes difficult to use cain to correct the child.

Most importantly, the child cannot escape your continuous fasting and prayer for a change of character. However, you must be a good example to the child to follow.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by obaidan: 6:05am On May 17, 2023
YES YES YES.....
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Fuckyoumod: 6:10am On May 17, 2023
Jakumo:
That picture of a man beating an underage girl on her ass just makes my blood boil. I would love to face that man in hand-to-hand combat to see how well such a sick sexual pervert can handle himself against a real man versed in martial arts
don't worry he will flog her in her eyes.

The ass is the safest place to flog a child. Whether girl or boy. This ensures the kid is safe from other sensitive injuries while been corrected.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Dammyseyon(m): 6:12am On May 17, 2023
Biblically it is advised to beat them at some ages and instill fear in them .
But i think the fairest way of bringing up a child is don't exhibit traits that you won't want your children to exhibit in their presence ..... Don't disrespect their dad if you don't want them to disrespect you , don't say one lie is minor or major ..... Don't dress for them as a child the way you won't want when they grow up.... Don't gossip anyone if you don't want them to later start gossiping... You see people and you don't greet.... How will you teach them what you don't do....
Add prayers too and God help you , but always remember that prayer is very important because your children will mingle with children that ain't trained at all in the same insane society
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by bluefilm: 6:12am On May 17, 2023
diogo23:

Pretenders , And you have never see it before? White man wanna be

Don't mind that fool.

He probably wants to sound more woke.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Nicenixon: 6:18am On May 17, 2023
I used to have this view until I was posted to secondary school during my nysc days, those students took me for granted, I talked to them and even counseled them but they wouldn't listen. I introduced reinforcement as in rewards for good academic performance and behavior but majority of them were getting worse to the extent some even jumped window to escape class in my presence. When it was a month to my passing out, my patience ran out, so I decided to show them I wasn't a slowpoke, within two days I was able to restore discipline with beating and cruel punishment. The teachers couldn't blamed me even the principal minded her business, I tried my best to be civil with them until I introduced operation "gorilla dances zanku" to them and they finally gave me respect and peace. Beating is bad but some students or children will push you to the wall.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Okechinwadike: 6:31am On May 17, 2023
Fisiryorh:
Hell NO...

if pikin wan dagbo, e go still dagbo no matter how many times, ways and styles u take use flog am...
na lie. my papa never beat you
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by obama99: 6:39am On May 17, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Despite all the flogging, we are still the most corrupt nation. High rate of internet fraud, hook up.

Flogging never actually worked.

Many parents flogg and gave up. Children revolt and fight back. Children become more dangerous and beast mode is activated.

Alot of children want to stay away from home.

At the end the flogging will at a point be needless. That is when most parent use the real parenting skills of advise and pleading.

You can not flog an 18 year old. He will fight you.

I think real parenting is the ability to use the other forms of effective punishment and reward approach. Because advise is the best.

In school the most notorious are still the most flogged. Did they stop being notorious? No.

The most pampered are more willing to excel academically.

In parenting, the ability to use the carrot and stick approach effectively works to a very large extent.

Children get use to beating and it becomes ineffective.

At a point you would not be able to beat that child. What will you do?

This is Africa where we we teach morals to children and encourage corruption of adults

Spits

In Africa is where a Father teaches his children not to steal while he loots his place of work endlessly

We actually are too lazy in African schools to imbibe theories of parenting and teaching. We prefer the easier route. Using pain and fear.

If many Nigeria teachers were living abroad they will learn patience and respect for children rights.

We most certainly do not respect that in Nigeria.

Many wealthy politicians sent their children to these schools in Nigeria where no one hits their children.

These same children end up the in elite and political class. They very confident and outspoken.

Flogging is for the poor.

That's a personal opinion. Flogging don't start at 18 you start instilling the discipline into kids from a very tender age. Those of us that were part of the flogging era have our parents to thank and we have no regrets at all. Those into social vices are the ones left to rotten away . Pls don't spare the kids whenever it's necessary.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by SALLYBERRY01(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2023
Staphylococcus:

Same here!

Their was a time I wanted to take flight in ills, my mum and father resounding slaps, punishment and beating brought me back on track.

I watched too much movies and thought I had a right and could talk the way I want. Nobody told me.

God bless those parents! They will deal with you and still take you to the hospital. Then they will buy you Chicken George

Those beating was very necessary then , Infact I will do the same for my kids if they prove too stubborn
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by sucess001(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Despite all the flogging, we are still the most corrupt nation. High rate of internet fraud, hook up.

Many parents flogg and gave up. Children revolt and fight back. Children become more dangerous and beast mode is activated.

At the end the flogging will at a point be needless. That is when most parent use the real parenting skills of advise and pleading.

I think real parenting is the ability to use the other forms of effective punishment and reward approach. Because advise is the best.

In school the most notorious are still the most flogged. Did they stop being notorious? No.

In parenting, the ability to use the carrot and stick approach effectively works to a very large extent.

This is Africa where we we teach morals to children and encourage corruption of adults

Spits

In Africa is where a Father teaches his children not to steal while he loots his place of work endlessly

We actually are too lazy in African schools to imbibe theories of parenting and teaching. We prefer the easier route. Using pain and fear.

If many Nigeria teachers were living abroad they will learn patience and respect for children rights.

Many wealthy politicians sent their children to these schools in Nigeria where no one hits their children.

These same children end up the in elite and political class. They very confident and outspoken.

Rebellious kids.

You need flogging
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Trustedpronet: 6:41am On May 17, 2023
I thought I'm civil, until my children start growing up. Children can trow tantrum without control. I don dey reset their factory With flogging, punishment and spike.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Slayar: 6:54am On May 17, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Thanks for ur Comments.

When I see some Nigerian Parents trying to form to Woke or Modern,
I just laugh @them.

Its Because they have NOT met Unruly and Stubborn kids.

You will see a little Child standing by the Roadside and using his hand to touch any Car that zooms past. shocked sad

Such a Behaviour calls for FLOGGING or any other Displinary measure. šŸ˜’

Some people are saying with all the flogging yahoo and rituals exploded.

In fact it's the opposite,since flogging stopped that is when everything exploded. No one really flogs anymore .It's out of fashion and it's why the society is the way it is.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Edusouls(m): 6:55am On May 17, 2023
Jakumo:
she should be beaten , to avoid her becoming an eloquent child , in ur small mind u think u can beat that man Abby with ur martial art skill?
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Hussein035: 6:59am On May 17, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Spits

You came with good points but did you think African homes can afford the cost and knowledgeable of using psychological methods to apply good classical and operant conditioning as behavioral modification for children.

Are you aware that lack of applications of flogging and too much freedom is the reason why we have LGBTQ today and worse is even expected to become social norms due to the fact that the world power allows us to practice any behavior as long as there's large number of people who accept it and they find it fun-filled.

Flogging was part of European culture decades ago especially to contain maladaptive behaviors but a better approach was discovered through psychological methods and the fact that their government provide a good and moderate standard of living even for the poorest who still have access to better life compared to Nigeria.

Did you think if Nigerians have access to good economy, where life is so pleasant and sweet to live just like the UK citizens, they will have time to even correct any child or complain about anyone, it is the kind of hard environment that instil the believe in flogging and I pray Nigeria become as great as UK soon
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 6:59am On May 17, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:

Those beating was very necessary then , Infact I will do the same for my kids if they prove too stubborn

Those parents instilled discipline, cleanliness, contentment and why you see that those generations are more instilled with morals and etiquettes. Not all these Yahoo clowns now.

Days that 5 Naira cannot be found with you, and your parents will interrogate you like itā€™s 1 million Naira.

Why I will always say, the values and etiquettes in Nigeria have been buried. It will only get worse. Ills and crime has become a norm, that itā€™s even celebrated.

Parents are now so weak, corrupt and gullible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Everest9(m): 7:00am On May 17, 2023
Please, If you are not married with kids don't comment on this even the poster, because there are things you won't understand if you don't have kids between 4-14 years of age

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Musisco01(m): 7:01am On May 17, 2023
Samantha124:
The one time a teacher flogged me, he ended up getting suspended.. grin grin grin

And few years back my cousin hit me and she ended up in a police van.. grin grin grin

So I don't think flogging a child solves any problems, it just makes matters worse.. My parents never did flogged me.

One thing about me is that if you lay your hands on me or insult me in the name of instilling discipline, you'll only be bringing the worst out of me... But if you hit me with facts, I will be humbled and listen... I've always been like that.

Spoilt brat

2 Likes

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Edusouls(m): 7:01am On May 17, 2023
Trustedpronet:
I thought I'm civil, until my children start growing up. Children can trow tantrum without control. I don dey reset their factory With flogging, punishment and spike.
very Good thatā€™s was the way those Good oldays when we were raised by first generation parents and not irresponsible parents of nowadays
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by palsenator(m): 7:03am On May 17, 2023
gannod:
Yes. Spare the rod and spoil the child.

In your mind, the rod directly mean flogging right?? The poster did a good one by outlining the fkaws in flogging.

My kids , can't remember the last time I flogged then yet we'll behaved atleast relatively. I didn't spare them from punishments though but flogging, hell no and no teacher is allowed to beat my kids.

There are many other approaches bro..
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by LeyeWrites: 7:07am On May 17, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I was reading newspapers at age 6. I wasn't daft or dumb and yes, I was able to reason as early as 6 years of age. Kids are not imbe_ciles that you think they cannot be talked to. It may take them some time to get it but you continue until they do. It is how they learn. No one comes into this world prewired with knowledge of any or everything. They learn by picking these things up as they go. Flogging it into them does not help them in learning anything aside from the fact that if you are around you are a hindrance to their freedom. That is why the same kids you flog go on to become arseholes and crooks as adults. They never got to in fact learn anything real. undecided
Discipline and learning are two different things.

When I was a child I had asthma. My dad would tell me son don't go and play football, it triggers your condition. I'll go and play football. Then when I come back I got asthma attack. My parents would be unable to sleep throughout the night. The next couple of times I did, my dad start flogging me and it helped.

When I was a student in secondary school, we were flogged for many things. Late coming: that taught me punctuality. Noise making: that taught me I'm partly responsible for the efficiency of any team I'm in. Assignments: that I should meet deadlines on whatever tasks I'm given.

Would you had rather students don't do assignments? And teachers rather talk to them on it? Have you been to northern Nigeria schools?

Look, the benefit of discipline through flogging outweighs whatever medical junks you've been fed by the West.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll discipline my kids the way I was disciplined to make me a better person. You can treat yours the ways you want. But you folks should stop trying to impose your views on a longstanding culture of parenting that have stood the test of times.

Of course, you lots want Nigeria to have young adults like those in West who are now homosexuals and gun shooters.

1 Like

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Edusouls(m): 7:09am On May 17, 2023
Hussein035:

You came with good points but did you think African homes can afford the cost and knowledgeable of using psychological methods to apply good classical and operant conditioning as behavioral modification for children.

Are you aware that lack of applications of flogging and too much freedom is the reason why we have LGBTQ today and worse is even expected to become social norms due to the fact that the world power allows us to practice any behavior as long as there's large number of people who accept it and they find it fun-filled.

Flogging was part of European culture decades ago especially to contain maladaptive behaviors but a better approach was discovered through psychological methods and the fact that their government provide a good and moderate standard of living even for the poorest who still have access to better life compared to Nigeria.

Did you think if Nigerians have access to good economy, where life is so pleasant and sweet to live just like the UK citizens, they will have time to even correct any child or complain about anyone, it is the kind of hard environment that instil the believe in flogging and I pray Nigeria become as great as UK soon

flogging is the way to instill discipline in kids, thatā€™s why we donā€™t have perverted humans here in Africa unlike in the west were living dead humans roam about, LGBTQ and senseless killers that commit mass shootings, soon west would turn into a desolate wasteland then visa to Africa would become very scarce and expensive
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by LeyeWrites: 7:10am On May 17, 2023
olaniyilukman:
You are mumu and fool, those that were beating in Nigeria, are they not becoming menace and thuggery in our society today
You mean you have become a menace and a thug?

Because I'm sure if you grew up a Nigerian you collect ass whooping from your parents.

So are you now a menace grin

You people should dial down with your woke western ideology that has made most of them homosexuals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wife Raped By Brother-in-law / ā€œdomestic Violence Canā€™t Be Curedā€ ā€“ Woman As She Walks Out Of Her Marriage / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.