Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462299 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightofjoy(m): 12:01am On Jan 30
Yes, I know a student dependent that switch and got the visa.
joe10:

Thank you for your input. Please, do you know any student-dependant who switched and got visa approval?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adekzy: 4:28am On Jan 30
100% Gratitude.

missjekyll:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/

I ve got the stocks and shares ISA on here. I have index funds exclusively. US and Europe up 17% this month. Stay away from the UK FTSE.
Goodluck

NB: the value of your shares can go up or down. You may get less than you put in.
Also I haven't been paid to advertise this

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RealVictor: 7:19am On Jan 30
directonpc:

I got it for 6k at the airport in Abuja. Try to Google and ask around before you travel. Or be at the airport like 5 hours before your trip.

I heard you can't travel until after 10 days of getting the card. How true is this pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 7:52am On Jan 30
RealVictor:

I heard you can't travel until after 10 days of getting the card. How true is this pls?
Hmmm, oga, incase you don't have the card and you're traveling soon, just rush to the airport to get it done ASAP. Also tell them ur travel date.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RealVictor: 8:29am On Jan 30
directonpc:

Hmmm, oga, incase you don't have the card and you're traveling soon, just rush to the airport to get it done ASAP. Also tell them ur travel date.

Thank you for your response but would it make any difference if I've taken the vaccine before. Because I took it about two years ago at my state and was given a card as proof but not the yellow card. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:45am On Jan 30
dustydee:

I have been seeing similar comments. Please what magic do we expect anyone in power to do to salvage the situation? I believe the path he has chosen is the best out of the hard choices available. Things may be hard now but in my opinion, we will come out better.
wrong

Just a clueless person who decided to toe a clueless path earlier toed by the clueless cow-herder and has only succeeded in fucking things up for everybody. Buhari removed subsidy and floated the naira in 2015/2016. This exact thing happened. That was why the dollar moved then from 150/160 to the 350/360's.

Subsidy returned innit? Dollar rate worsened innit? We didn't come out better innit?

Fast forward to 2023, Mr Bola THUBV decided to do same thing, and even worse so, at the same damn time.

Subsidy currently still being paid innit? (Estimated to be about 200-300/litre) Dollar rate worsened innit? How we gonna come out better, when everybody with sense including me is holding the dollar so I don't get swiftly ruined?

YOU DONT REMOVE SUBSIDY AND FLOAT THE NAIRA At THE SAME TIME IN OUR PECULIAR SITUATION. THAT IS MADNESS.

In less than ten years they have made the value of the naira diminish X10. I didn't give a bleep about abroad in 2015, didn't give a bleep about abroad in H1 2023, but I MUST give a bleep about abroad now, whether I like to or not, cos the main problem now is everyone has lost confidence in the naira. The jig is up, and the only way out is that we become a producing economy, which is not possible at this current time and in this current environment.

Bola THUBV has hit the iceberg. The end was inevitable from then on. Like some have said before, Nigeria is about to be the largest prison on earth...and the majority of those who will be stuck there utterly and thoroughly deserve the things that will swallow them.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 10:35am On Jan 30
I don't even know where to start from

how do I reply this?

best out of the hard choices?

Scarcity of almost everything.... including your local currency, Naira

Purchasing power gone

Insecurity driving away your ability to increase FDI

Weakest Naira ever

Unemployment at a record level, and what did they do? revise the Unemployment rate

Multi-dimensional Poverty with more middle class being eroded

Increased debt burden and higher debt to revenue ratio

Loss of more multi-national companies due to cost of operations and lack of £$

Inflation at another level... 28.9% an 18-year high record Dec 2023

Currency Shortages

14m Nigerians descended into poverty in 2023 due to diminished purchasing power resulting from high inflation, as reported by the World Bank.

I can go on and on but I need to work..

dustydee:

I have been seeing similar comments. Please what magic do we expect anyone in power to do to salvage the situation? I believe the path he has chosen is the best out of the hard choices available. Things may be hard now but in my opinion, we will come out better.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 11:39am On Jan 30
RealVictor:

Thank you for your response but would it make any difference if I've taken the vaccine before. Because I took it about two years ago at my state and was given a card as proof but not the yellow card. Thank you
Carry the card go with yourself then.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gergemam: 1:01pm On Jan 30

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:03pm On Jan 30
Care dependant ban and new CQC regulations come into force from the 11th of March:

In a written statement on Tuesday, Tom Pursglove, minister for legal migration and delivery, said: “On 19 February, we intend to lay Immigration Rules which will remove the right for care workers and senior care workers to bring dependants, which will come into force on 11 March 2024.

“The rules will ensure that care providers in England will only be able to sponsor migrant workers if they are undertaking activities regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

“This will help tackle the abuse of the Health and Care Visa route that we have seen and ensure that those coming through this route genuinely support the social care system.”

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:49pm On Jan 30
eniola1010:
hello guys, please i want to know if those jobs listed on nhs website which the employers arent nhs directly, i want to know if those companies are also exempt from the post-april immigration rule just as nhs jobs are exempted. i want to know if this third party jobs listed on nhs site are also exempted from the new immigration rules given that these jobs were posted on nhs website, so is it safe to assume they are also under nhs? .

please who has answer, pls.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 3:55pm On Jan 30
Lexusgs430:

Your children are not Nigerian's (yet)....... They would need to apply for visa's.......🤣😜

They got birthright citizenship na. Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 4:11pm On Jan 30
justwise:

That will be done one day...

Regarding resale... last yr when S23 came out my mate helped me to buy 4 because his company has a partnership with Samsung and they get 15% discount, Adidas voucher worth £300 and cashback reward.

I pretty much trade-in all the old Samsung in the house for new ones, so i resale them but this yr the offer is not attractive at all so i bought only one.

Adidas voucher on 1 phone ? Wow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:59pm On Jan 30
CowbellY:

Adidas voucher on 1 phone ? Wow

Yes on each phone purchased within a particular period but only 4 per address.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:03pm On Jan 30
profemebee:
I don't even know where to start from

how do I reply this?

best out of the hard choices?

...And they are still sponsoring toke makinwa on trips in broad day light

We are not ready .. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:06pm On Jan 30
dustydee:

Unless there is true Federalism and we stop putting criminals in power, nothing will ever change

Nigeria can develop swiftly within 10 yrs given the right leadership but alas... we have just refused to solve our issues for some reason no one knows

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 5:14pm On Jan 30
When I got a car last year, I was introduced to a Nigerian man who is into helping people get cars insurance at cheaper rates. I didn’t eventually subscribe to his offer because I felt it was too good to be true. It’s about 1k £ per annum cheaper.
I just added another car and I’m looking for the cheapest deal out there. I’m just wondering if insuring through these folks has any serious consequences. I have full uk license and I haven’t had any claim since I came in.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 5:21pm On Jan 30
and dancing Buga while the country is burning and children are being killed for ransom.. shameful

hustla:

...And they are still sponsoring toke makinwa on trips in broad day light

We are not ready .. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:32pm On Jan 30
CowbellY:

They got birthright citizenship na. Lol

Very true...... So how can they travel to Nigeria, since they only got a BP....... And no time to apply for their NP .........😂🤣

Not blood pressure or No problem........😜😂🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:37pm On Jan 30
EJIOGBENIMI:
When I got a car last year, I was introduced to a Nigerian man who is into helping people get cars insurance at cheaper rates. I didn’t eventually subscribe to his offer because I felt it was too good to be true. It’s about 1k £ per annum cheaper.
I just added another car and I’m looking for the cheapest deal out there. I’m just wondering if insuring through these folks has any serious consequences. I have full uk license and I haven’t had any claim since I came in.

Cheap things, usually later become very expensive.....😂🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jlaw1: 5:50pm On Jan 30
Lexusgs430:

Ok o..... Send her the balance ........😜😁

Dear @Lexusgs40,

Please, kindly allow me jump in here.

With all due respect, don't you think it's a little hypocritical of you to criticize people like the 20 year-old in the story?

You have written here countless times, how you came to the UK to study with virtually no money in your pockets/account and no perfect plan to boot. You took the risk, but it paid off. Now, you turn around years later to mock a young girl who is stranded in her third & FINAL year due to tuition fee payment.

I think it's double standards in my opinion.

Now, I understand that I have used very strong words (because you are one of the few persons here that deserves some respect), but I also believe that I have chosen my words very carefully.

Now to strike a balance, I do realize that MANY Nigerians in the last 3 years or so, have been utterly reckless in their relocation/immigration plans to the UK. BUT I also realize that there are also many who actually planned well, but got into trouble due to unforeseen circumstances e.g Form A delays, forex scarcity, Naira devaluation, abrupt change in personal circumstances etc.

What I will say to everyone (including myself) is that before one gives general or blanket criticisms/condemnation, one should reflect on one's personal life, and be grateful for the progress made.

Personally, I am happy about the immense growth that I have experienced as a teacher here in the UK. This humbles me greatly, because I am 100% sure that I am NOT in any way better than others who have not made the same strides as I have done.

PS: Now, to the reader somewhere in Nigeria, let me say CLEARLY that I am in total agreement with Lexusgs40 about the importance of planning well financially, before embarking on the immigration journey to the UK. It would be extremely irresponsible not to do so. HOWEVER, I will also point out that it is also worth taking calculated risks (after doing your homework and proper planning). Do NOT wait until the "perfect" time to immigrate, if you really dream to do so. There will NEVER be a perfect time.

Let me end with this abridged quote:

"The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself/herself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he/she fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his/her place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 6:12pm On Jan 30
Jlaw1:

Dear @Lexusgs40,

With all due respect, don't you think it's a little hypocritical of you to criticize people like the 20 year-old in the story?

You have written here countless times, how you came to the UK to study with virtually no money in your pockets/account and no perfect plan to boot. You took the risk, but it paid off. Now, you turn around years later to mock a young girl who is stranded in her third & FINAL year due to tuition fee payment.

Now, I understand that I have used very strong words (because you are one of the few persons here that deserves some respect), but I also believe that I have chosen my words very carefully.

Now to strike a balance, I do realize that MANY Nigerians in the last 3 years or so, have been utterly reckless in their relocation/immigration plans to the UK. BUT I also realize that there are also many who actually planned well, but got into trouble due to unforeseen circumstances e.g Form A delays, forex scarcity, Naira devaluation, abrupt change in personal circumstances etc.

What I will say to everyone (including myself) is that before one gives general or blanket criticisms/condemnation, one should reflect on one's personal life, and be grateful for the progress made.

Personally, I am happy about the immense growth that I have experienced as a teacher here in the UK. This humbles me greatly, because I am 100% sure that I am NOT in any way better than others who have not made the same strides as I have done.

PS: Now, to the reader somewhere in Nigeria, let me say CLEARLY that I am in total agreement with Lexusgs40 about the importance of planning well financially, before embarking on the immigration journey to the UK. It would be extremely irresponsible not to do so. HOWEVER, I will also point out that it is also worth taking calculated risks (after doing your homework and proper planning). Do NOT wait until the "perfect" time to immigrate, if you really dream to do so. There will NEVER be a perfect time.

"The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself/herself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he/she fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his/her place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Herr Theodore Roosevelt

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:17pm On Jan 30
Jlaw1:

Dear @Lexusgs40,

I humbly respect your opinion and maturity in response.......

Truly, I landed Heathrow airport with only one £5 bill in my breast pocket........ But, I never relied on anyone to save and bail me out of tight spots.....

I grafted, I suffered & slaved away all through ........ I knew the difficulties I was going to face and was fully prepared....... Tough times never last, but tough people do ......

I am sorry if you saw my responses as mocking one's condition, but I try not to take life too seriously....... A bit of humour, helps navigate challenging situations.......

Thank you......

29 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 7:43pm On Jan 30
missjekyll:

Remember that letter it came with? Where is it? You don't need a recapture but you do need the details on the letter for the reissue.
Thank you for the information. Going through the process on UKVI it directed that £19 be paid but he was then taken to the biometric capturing to further pay £139 and book a date. Please kindly, explain further. The letter is available. £139 is not small.
Thanks once again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by sirabbey(m): 8:33pm On Jan 30
RealVictor:

This Reminds me of my experience in 2019 while going to Mozambique. While Mozambique does not require the Yellow Fever Card, South Africa which I will be transiting through requires it. So 2 days before my flight I went to the Port Health office close to MMIA and got the vaccination and the Yellow fever card. On the night of my travel, Ethiopia Airline said I could not board, because my Yellow Fever vaccination was gotten 2 days earlier and that it had to have been done a minimum of 10 days earlier to be valid, it was even written somewhere on the Yellow fever card itself.

I was flabbergasted, you mean all my efforts to get the vaccine are now in vain? How do I tell my company that I can not make the conference that I was sponsored for? Where do I start? While still in a state of confusion, one of the Airline staff approached me and said if I had N5K, he would get me one that was backdated. I negotiated for N4K and after 15 minutes, I was presented with another Yellow Fever Card with a vaccination date of 2 weeks earlier. Nigeria will stress you but will also give you options to destress the situation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 8:42pm On Jan 30
Lexusgs430:

I humbly respect your opinion and maturity in response.......

Truly, I landed Heathrow airport with only one £5 bill in my breast pocket........ But, I never relied on anyone to save and bail me out of tight spots.....

I grafted, I suffered & slaved away all through ........ I knew the difficulties I was going to face and was fully prepared....... Tough times never last, but tough people do ......

I am sorry if you saw my responses as mocking one's condition, but I try not to take life too seriously....... A bit of humour, helps navigate challenging situations.......

Thank you......

Things have really changed since then. I knew people that resumed work on their way from the airport with ori olori. Some people only needed to present provisional DL to start work. You don't need to show anything to rent a room. All you need is to go cornershop and you see room ads on their windows. For you to work full timeas a student then, once you renew your visa, it wouldnt show you as a student anymore and you can pay any school in peckham like £150 to further renew. These days everywhere na share code or whatever it is called for everything you want to do.
Anyone coming in now without proper prearation is bound to go through hell cos it's tougher.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ezixt: 8:58pm On Jan 30
SamAfrik:
Has anyone replaced a lost BRP in UK. Please how much is the total cost (card + recapturing). Trying to help a friend.
Thanks

I lost mine around October last year. I applied for a new one in December and got it this January. I think I spent close to £300 for everything.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:08pm On Jan 30
If they are not NHS trust, chances are that they don't sponsor for the Health Care Visa which is exempted from the salary threshold. Any other listed there are because they're jobs in the health sector.

Take note also that NHS sponsor on skilled worker visa for jobs that are not directly health related and those ones are affected by the threshold.

eniola1010:

please who has answer, pls.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 11:51pm On Jan 30
bigtt76:
If they are not NHS trust, chances are that they don't sponsor for the Health Care Visa which is exempted from the salary threshold. Any other listed there are because they're jobs in the health sector.

Take note also that NHS sponsor on skilled worker visa for jobs that are not directly health related and those ones are affected by the threshold.

thanks so much my sister, as per your last part, so a data analyst in nhs cant get cos with nhs if his salary is not 38k coming april?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:01am On Jan 31
Yes that would be the case when the full threshold is implemented.

eniola1010:

thanks so much my sister, as per your last part, so a data analyst in nhs cant get cos with nhs if his salary is not 38k coming april?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 12:03am On Jan 31
Lexusgs430:

Very true...... So how can they travel to Nigeria, since they only got a BP....... And no time to apply for their NP .........😂🤣

Not blood pressure or No problem........😜😂🤣

Yes but as Nigerian Citizens they are able to apply for an ETC to travel to Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (533) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Christabeliciou, kwell(m), toughest007, oluxmondd2 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.