Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,918 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (428) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (459687 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 12:06am On Jan 31
justwise:

Yes on each phone purchased within a particular period but only 4 per address.

Wow. If they have for the s24. I'll be interested please.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 12:13am On Jan 31
ezixt:

I lost mine around October last year. I applied for a new one in December and got it this January. I think I spent close to £300 for everything.
Thank you for the apt response. I'm grateful.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 12:17am On Jan 31
rowon:
Hi everyone , can I get a full refund of IHS and graduate visa fee if I get COS before decisions is made.

I got full refund of IHS and graduate visa fee as I had not received a decision on the graduate visa before I made in a new application and cancelled the graduate visa application.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 1:14am On Jan 31
SamAfrik:

Thank you for the information. Going through the process on UKVI it directed that £19 be paid but he was then taken to the biometric capturing to further pay £139 and book a date. Please kindly, explain further. The letter is available. £139 is not small.
Thanks once again

Gosh. I may have been giving you outdated information. It does appear like you need another biometrics appointment.
I do apologise. Should have checked beforehand
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:50am On Jan 31
CowbellY:

Yes but as Nigerian Citizens they are able to apply for an ETC to travel to Nigeria

You seem to be missing the point....... The children in question, are presently British citizens, born in the UK.....

So your classification of them been Nigerian citizens, is a little bit premature, because they don't have Nigerian passports, they presently only have British passports.,.....

Do you now understand the dynamics........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:56am On Jan 31
wonlasewonimi:

Things have really changed since then. I knew people that resumed work on their way from the airport with ori olori. Some people only needed to present provisional DL to start work. You don't need to show anything to rent a room. All you need is to go cornershop and you see room ads on their windows. For you to work full timeas a student then, once you renew your visa, it wouldnt show you as a student anymore and you can pay any school in peckham like £150 to further renew. These days everywhere na share code or whatever it is called for everything you want to do.
Anyone coming in now without proper prearation is bound to go through hell cos it's tougher.

Hence people should be more prepared, NEVER hang your UK survival on miracles, prayers, vigil, fasting, friends, family, enemies, village people, GFM, wing or hope ........ 😂😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:47am On Jan 31
CowbellY:

Wow. If they have for the s24. I'll be interested please.

Unfortunately this time around they are keeping it very tight, they only gave 15% discount and samsung watch6 just for 4days during pre-order period.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tboks(m): 9:01am On Jan 31
I
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 9:27am On Jan 31
Lexusgs430:

Hence people should be more prepared, NEVER hang your UK survival on miracles, prayers, vigil, fasting, friends, family, enemies, village people, GFM, wing or hope ........ 😂😜
4 years ago, one pound was between 340/390

A family planned to send their child for an undergraduate course abroad. Within the space of another 4 years, same Exhange is looking at 1900.
You are here, smiling and shinning teeth, that Dey did not plan. Agba planner

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:25am On Jan 31
adekzy:
Please how can I setup an ISA. I have some £5k sitting idle in my Lloyds and Halifax savings account. Also which High Yield Savings account can you recommend.

Thank you.

I'd drop links to a number of resources worth delving into if longterm investing suits. I've found these quite helpful.
ISAs are better for most (esp higher earners) as all earning are fully tax free. What kind of ISA suits becomes the main issue.

For ISAs- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/isa-guide-savings-without-tax/

Savings account guide- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Cash ISA vs savings acc - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/#compare

For longterm investing, I use my ISA to buy low cost global index funds (i.e a fund that passively buys small stocks across the globe). Reason is simple and well explained in the short video series attached. You'd typically need a S&S ISA or other vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_chiIIxMGl0

To compare providers offering these funds- https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/#comment-1595166

To compare global index funds - https://monevator.com/best-global-tracker-funds/

Personally, I use 2 brokers - InvestEngine for S&S ISA (cheapest) and Vanguard for Pensions. Across both, I invest solely in low cost global funds. For regular savings (after exhausting ISA allocation) I use Chip savings account.

23 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LORETA: 11:22am On Jan 31
Pls house, Good morning...how much should I take as a live in carer for 4 children..its not a recruitment agency work.just an inhouse work.
I dont want to be cheated and the same time I dont want to over paid.
Pls Your candid advice....I need to give them reply...because I am already there doing the job
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 11:24am On Jan 31
jedisco:

I'd drop links to a number of resources worth delving into if longterm investing suits. I've found these quite helpful.
ISAs are better for most (esp higher earners) as all earning are fully tax free. What kind of ISA suits becomes the main issue.

For ISAs- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/isa-guide-savings-without-tax/

Savings account guide- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Cash ISA vs savings acc - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/#compare

For longterm investing, I use my ISA to buy low cost global index funds (i.e a fund that passively buys small stocks across the globe). Reason is simple and well explained in the short video series attached. You'd typically need a S&S ISA or other vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_chiIIxMGl0

To compare providers offering these funds- https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/#comment-1595166

To compare global index funds - https://monevator.com/best-global-tracker-funds/

Personally, I use 2 brokers - InvestEngine for S&S ISA (cheapest) and Vanguard for Pensions. Across both, I invest solely in low cost global funds. For regular savings (after exhausting ISA allocation) I use Chip savings account.

Thanks for the well detailed post.
Do you think it’s smart to invest outside US? I’ve always been putting money aside working with US dominated index funds .

With low cost global funds , I have VUSA , VOO on T212 and VUSA did 15% gain this year which undoubtedly quite astonishing.

Would you prefer VUSD to VUSA to this depends on aggressive you want to go with your investment approach.

Again many thanks for your contribution and looking forward to hearing from you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:24am On Jan 31
LORETA:
Pls house, Good morning...how much should I take as a live in carer for 4 children..its not a recruitment agency work.just an inhouse work.
I dont want to be cheated and the same time I dont want to over paid.
Pls Your candid advice....I need to give them reply...because I am already there doing the job

How many hour's are you expected to work + weekends + are you housed and feed etc etc .......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LORETA: 11:35am On Jan 31
Full time.24 7.yes eat in the house
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:55am On Jan 31
LORETA:

I think £1500/£1600 per month, is a fair wage. Considering loads of other factors......

What figure have you accepted.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 11:55am On Jan 31
gmacnoms:

A family planned to send their child for an undergraduate course abroad. Withing the space of another 4 years, same Exhange is looking at 1900.
You are here smiling and shunning teeth that Dey did not plan. Agba planner
I agree with Lexusgs430. It is inconceivable that the sponsors did not know that the exchange rate will be unstable. The sponsor can transfer her to one of the private universities in Nigeria to finish her education since exchange range disparity is the issue.
Again, planning is the key.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:08pm On Jan 31
LORETA:

If you want plenty talk, charge £10/hour

assume your typical working hrs week day will be 6AM when the children wakes up to 8AM when they go to school and 3PM when they come from school and 10PM when they sleep i.e 9hrs week days. I believe we can overlook the work you'll do outside those hrs. For weekends, you'll work from 9AM when they wake up to 10PM when they sleep i.e 13hrs.

Total hrs worked in the week is (10×5) + (13×2) = 76

As for the accommodation and feeding, we can use the work you do off hrs i.e between 8AM and 3PM and after 10PM to compensate for that so it's scratch my back I scratch your back.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LORETA: 12:11pm On Jan 31
Thanks so much...I will consider All factors listed here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:14pm On Jan 31
If you don't want plenty talk, just charge £10/hr on 40hrs/week paid in cash. This will give you £1,600 net.

The extra hrs you will work will compensate for the accommodation and feeding.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:19pm On Jan 31
dustydee:

I agree with Lexusgs430. It is inconceivable that the sponsors did not know that the exchange rate will be unstable. The sponsor can transfer her to one of the private universities in Nigeria to finish her education since exchange range disparity is the issue.

You really mean that four years ago you expected 1 GBP to be 1,900 Naira?

Knowing the rate would be unstable and anticipating the utter wrecking of the Naira’s value in the past few years are the same thing to you? To the point that you think the lady and her family didn’t plan properly?

Lol. Okay o.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:22pm On Jan 31
gmacnoms:

A family planned to send their child for an undergraduate course abroad. Withing the space of another 4 years, same Exhange is looking at 1900.
You are here smiling and shunning teeth that Dey did not plan. Agba planner

Man! It’s so wild that he keeps standing on that point, like he’s determined not to give it any thought as long as he gets to jest, condescend and even imply that the lady is lying.

It’s really amazing to me but I guess that’s what happens when your struggles become memory and you begin to think your current status is due to some skill (in this case, planning) you have that others less fortunate do not.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:24pm On Jan 31
LORETA:
Thanks so much...I will consider All factors listed here

Just so you know, comparison is a thief of joy, if you have agreed on an amount that's less than the suggestions you see here, don't let it discourage you. That is why I personally try not to know the salaries of my colleagues 😅. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:34pm On Jan 31
Viruses:

Just so you know, comparison is a thief of joy, if you have agreed on an amount that's less than the suggestions you see here, don't let it discourage you. That is why I personally try not to know the salaries of my colleagues 😅. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Which is why I asked my second question....... I bet she already low balled herself......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 1:43pm On Jan 31
Goodenoch:

Man! It’s so wild that he keeps standing on that point, like he’s determined not to give it any thought as long as he gets to jest, condescend and even imply that the lady is lying.

It’s really amazing to me but I guess that’s what happens when your struggles become memory and you begin to think your current status is due to some skill (in this case, planning) you have that others less fortunate do not.

Infact, it borders on the nauseating already! It's the shining of teeth that annoys me most, I mean this is totally unnecessary. This is a serious situation, may misfortune never happen to us... The type that makes a brave warrior lose everything, and shudder in fear...

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:46pm On Jan 31
😁😜😄

Emoji love ......😄

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babranancy: 1:47pm On Jan 31
Hi everyone, please I have a question. I want to go on a vacation to spain for 4 days , do I need visa? Despite having a BRP card? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 1:53pm On Jan 31

babranancy:
Hi everyone, please I have a question. I want to go on a vacation to spain for 4 days , do I need visa? Despite having a BRP card? Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Jan 31
babranancy:

You do and you will be lucky to get appointment this year let alone visa

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 2:11pm On Jan 31
Goodenoch:

You really mean that four years ago you expected 1 GBP to be 1,900 Naira?

Knowing the rate would be unstable and the utter wrecking of the Naira’s value in the past few years are the same thing to you? To the point that you think the lady and her family didn’t plan properly?

Lol. Okay o.
I agree that you cannot plan for all possible situtaions. But again we all knew that forex instability was a major issue especially in the last 2 years. My advice that she should seek to transfer her education to a cheaper school is still valid.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 2:34pm On Jan 31
missjekyll:

Gosh. I may have been giving you outdated information. It does appear like you need another biometrics appointment.
I do apologise. Should have checked beforehand
. Thank you for the follow up and update. It has been sorted. Seems every avenue to generate money is now been explored. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 2:47pm On Jan 31
dustydee:

so, as at 2019, you knew by 2023, pounds will be at 1700 and counting?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 2:49pm On Jan 31
Santa2:

I got full refund of IHS and graduate visa fee as I had not received a decision on the graduate visa before I made in a new application and cancelled the graduate visa application.

I have someone in this same situation. She applied for Graduate visa on Monday, and got COS the next day. So she's applying for Tier-2 now. All she has to do after applying for Tier-2 is to cancel her Graduate visa application, right?

(1) (2) (3) ... (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: eluquenson(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.