Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (429) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (459824 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:50pm On Jan 31
Bourne007:

You offered a Spanish lecture + answered the question........😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 3:05pm On Jan 31
gmacnoms:
so, as at 2019, you knew by 2023, pounds will be at 1700 and counting?
I did not know but I knew it was UNSTABLE.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 3:24pm On Jan 31
It depends

If previous leave is still valid, you can withdraw (cancel) or vary application.

If previous leave ended, you need to vary your application.

Solumtoya:

I have someone in this same situation. She applied for Graduate visa on Monday, and got COS the next day. So she's applying for Tier-2 now. All she has to do after applying for Tier-2 is to cancel her Graduate visa application, right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 3:31pm On Jan 31
Sí ọ papi 😁.. Short and simple 😜

Lexusgs430:

You offered a Spanish lecture + answered the question........😁😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by seunoj: 4:47pm On Jan 31
Solumtoya:

I have someone in this same situation. She applied for Graduate visa on Monday, and got COS the next day. So she's applying for Tier-2 now. All she has to do after applying for Tier-2 is to cancel her Graduate visa application, right?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vary-your-immigration-application

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 4:54pm On Jan 31
Bourne007:
It depends

If previous leave is still valid, you can withdraw (cancel) or vary application.

If previous leave ended, you need to vary your application.

Previous leave is still valid till tomorrow, I think
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 5:29pm On Jan 31
So the dependant ban for care workers is kicking off March 11
What if after March 11, a husband and wife both get sponsorship, will the rule still apply if they proceed with their visa application individuallly?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:45pm On Jan 31
You seem to still not be getting the point despite people trying to make you see it in a measured manner, with some even skirting around the obvious folly unto say you be “respected” person on this platform. It is well.
Lexusgs430:

Hence people should be more prepared, NEVER hang your UK survival on miracles, prayers, vigil, fasting, friends, family, enemies, village people, GFM, wing or hope ........ 😂😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:55pm On Jan 31
You’re the same person who typed that Tinubu post abi?
dustydee:

I agree with Lexusgs430. It is inconceivable that the sponsors did not know that the exchange rate will be unstable. The sponsor can transfer her to one of the private universities in Nigeria to finish her education since exchange range disparity is the issue.
Again, planning is the key.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:57pm On Jan 31
This boldened part!!

It’s a very amusing thing to see to say the least.
Goodenoch:

Man! It’s so wild that he keeps standing on that point, like he’s determined not to give it any thought as long as he gets to jest, condescend and even imply that the lady is lying.

It’s really amazing to me but I guess that’s what happens when your struggles become memory and you begin to think your current status is due to some skill (in this case, planning) you have that others less fortunate do not .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 5:59pm On Jan 31
I think it's best to vary your application by putting in a new application. The new application will automatically be considered and will still get a refund of the old application (unless a decision is made). And in the new form, you will be asked if you currently have an application so fill in the details.

Solumtoya:

Previous leave is still valid till tomorrow, I think

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 6:10pm On Jan 31
I know everyone is discussing serious issues now. But biko, how can I watch Netflix Naija from the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:16pm On Jan 31
One can equally say that leaving your own country and coming into another country AND CONTINENT with ONLY £5 in your pocket doesn’t sound like “fully prepared” to me. And you’d understandably go ballistic if anyone said that to you because they were not privy to your struggles and all the things you had to brave to get to where you are today.

Similarly, you’re not privy to whatever that 20-year old has had to scale through up until this point in time to be mocking her the way you’re STILL doing.

That 20-year old girl very likely came in with more than £5 in pocket seeing as she successfully scaled through 2 out of 3 years of her course.

Unfortunately for her and fortunately for you, the economic landscape of Nigeria AND the UK now isn’t the same landscape you met in your own time.

Maybe if you had met the policies UK has in place now during your time, na another person for dey tell you “if you don’t plan to fail, you fail to plan” and other aspaya to turayas.

They’d have asked you too why will you leave your country to another man’s country with crumbs in your pocket. Boya you sef for don understand say e no get how you wan plan certain situations, what will happen will still happen.
Lexusgs430:

I humbly respect your opinion and maturity in response.......

Truly, I landed Heathrow airport with only one £5 bill in my breast pocket........ But, I never relied on anyone to save and bail me out of tight spots.....

I grafted, I suffered & slaved away all through ........ I knew the difficulties I was going to face and was fully prepared....... Tough times never last, but tough people do ......

I am sorry if you saw my responses as mocking one's condition, but I try not to take life too seriously....... A bit of humour, helps navigate challenging situations.......

Thank you......

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:18pm On Jan 31
Quoting to save because I’ve observed people “fullstop” their posts or lose their account sometimes 😩
jedisco:

I'd drop links to a number of resources worth delving into if longterm investing suits. I've found these quite helpful.
ISAs are better for most (esp higher earners) as all earning are fully tax free. What kind of ISA suits becomes the main issue.

For ISAs- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/isa-guide-savings-without-tax/

Savings account guide- https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Cash ISA vs savings acc - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/#compare

For longterm investing, I use my ISA to buy low cost global index funds (i.e a fund that passively buys small stocks across the globe). Reason is simple and well explained in the short video series attached. You'd typically need a S&S ISA or other vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_chiIIxMGl0

To compare providers offering these funds- https://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/#comment-1595166

To compare global index funds - https://monevator.com/best-global-tracker-funds/

Personally, I use 2 brokers - InvestEngine for S&S ISA (cheapest) and Vanguard for Pensions. Across both, I invest solely in low cost global funds. For regular savings (after exhausting ISA allocation) I use Chip savings account.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:24pm On Jan 31
Thewritingnerd:
You seem to still not be getting the point despite people trying to make you see it in a measured manner, with some even skirting around the obvious folly unto say you be “respected” person on this platform. It is well.

It’s actually disgusting tbh.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:29pm On Jan 31
Thewritingnerd:
You’re the same person who typed that Tinubu post abi?

The very same, lol. They understand that Tinubu is facing challenging times and is making ‘hard choices’ but the barely-out-of-her-teens student who is contending with the death of a parent and inability of her family to pay due to the economic chaos being supervised by that same Tinubu deserves what she’s going through because she did not plan well.

Wild stuff.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:48pm On Jan 31
So even in the instability you know, would you have prepared for the Naira-Pounds rate quadrupling in value LESS THAN A YEAR?

Because all this preparation una dey chant, someone who even carried school fees at the rate of £1 to N1000 as at May 2023 (less than 9 months ago) is still gonna be stranded because bad as e bad, Nigeria has never seen a depreciation in currency value like that in such a SHORT PERIOD,.

So will you open your mouth to still tell that person they didn’t prepare well or what are you even saying ?

dustydee:

I did not know but I knew it was UNSTABLE.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:02pm On Jan 31
justwise:

You do and you will be lucky to get appointment this year let alone visa

Are countries like Malta, and Hungary appointments easier to get?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 8:24pm On Jan 31
hustla:

Most of these countries use VFS for biometrics + application and you can’t even create an account to book appointment in some cases. Best bet is Greece and Netherlands. Appointments are available periodically and some offered over the phone. If it’s an emergency, there are some “agents” that have priority slot and you can get an appointment with very short notice (next working day) but it costs money (£200+). If you have the luxury of time, I’d suggest keep searching online or call them up for Premium appointments.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:30pm On Jan 31
hustla:

That is possible compared to other popular holiday destinations. You can also try Estonia, Finland, etc

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:12pm On Jan 31
justwise:

That is possible compared to other popular holiday destinations. You can also try Estonia, Finland, etc

Thanks!

Man just wan get stamps
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 9:43pm On Jan 31
hustla:

Thanks!

Man just wan get stamps

Try Lithuania.

Greece also, though you have to have booked and paid completely for holidays in three different countries lest they just give you single or double entry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:49pm On Jan 31
Jamesclooney:

Most of these countries use VFS for biome/application and you can’t even create an account to book appointment in some cases. Best bet is Greece and Netherlands. Appointments are available periodically and some offered over the phone. If it’s an emergency, there are some “agents” that have priority slot and you can get an appointment with very short notice (next working day) but it costs money (£200+). If you have the luxury of time, I’d suggest keep searching online or call them up for Premium appointments.

Both sound like good options

I dont mind those lowkey Eu countries too.. almost everyone goes to the same places and me I go like explore something different at least if possible

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:50pm On Jan 31
Raalsalghul:

Try Lithuania.

Greece also, though you have to have booked and paid completely for holidays in three different countries lest they just give you [b]single or double[/b] entry.

I dont understand this part o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abubarakat: 10:45pm On Jan 31
Yes. I got a £300 adidas voucher and a JBL speaker (£100worth) when I bought the S23 plus in 2023. E sweet me die.

CowbellY:

Adidas voucher on 1 phone ? Wow
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 11:57pm On Jan 31
Lexusgs430:

You seem to be missing the point....... The children in question, are presently British citizens, born in the UK.....

So your classification of them been Nigerian citizens, is a little bit premature, because they don't have Nigerian passports, they presently only have British passports.,.....

Do you now understand the dynamics........

I understand but having a British passport doesn't make them less Nigerian. Nigeria practices birthright patriachal citizenship.

A child born to a male Nigerian citizen anywhere in the world by right has automatically conferred Nigerian citizenship. However they have to "accept" by way of registration before the age of 18.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Grace321: 12:13am On Feb 01
Please has anyone done a reassessment for statement of comparability with UK NARIC? How did it go?

UK NARIC said the degree has elements of both honours & ordinary degree. They concluded it to be an ordinary degree.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:36am On Feb 01
CowbellY:

I understand but having a British passport doesn't make them less Nigerian. Nigeria practices birthright patriachal citizenship.

A child born to a male Nigerian citizen anywhere in the world by right has automatically conferred Nigerian citizenship. However they have to "accept" by way of registration before the age of 18.

I agree with all your points....... To apply for a Nigerian passport, you must have NIN, does OP have enough time for the snail application etc etc ........

If OP needs to travel in an emergency, with 2 children, both having British passports....... What choice does OP have ........😁😜

NB : Even common visa, NHC could not issue in 14 days........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 1:17am On Feb 01
Ukliving:
So the dependant ban for care workers is kicking off March 11
What if after March 11, a husband and wife both get sponsorship, will the rule still apply if they proceed with their visa application individuallly?

Anyone please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 2:03am On Feb 01
justwise:

You do and you will be lucky to get appointment this year let alone visa

I used to do visa at your doorstep. They bring their biometric machine to my living room on a day I choose.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fitzjerry(m): 3:51am On Feb 01
Hi Guys,
I have a colleague who is currently doing his dissertation @ the University of Hull but he’s kinda worried cos he got compensated for one module which he scored 46, below 50 but because his results in other modules are very good, he got a compensation and got awarded a credit for the course instead of a re-sit.

However, he is worried if the compensation won’t affect him getting a PSW Visa when he’s done with school.
Or whether he should just apply for a re-sit?

Anyone has an idea?

His results are quite fair at the moment (Merit).

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: rocoh(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.