Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,210 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community (17855 Views)

Enugu Witch Doctor Dies In Grave While Exhuming Body Of ‘Maltreated’ Housewife / I Think My Wife Is A Witch / Lady Searching For A Husband For Her Widowed Mother On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by dre11(m): 10:41am On May 23, 2023
The victim is a mother of two.

By Chinagorom Ugwu

Three people have banished their widowed sister from their community for allegedly being a witch.

The incident happened on 30 April in Umunankwo, a community in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State, south-east Nigeria.

Chidinma Ikeanyionwu, a media aide to the Commissioner for Women and Social Welfare in the state, Ify Obinabo, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

The widow, Nneka Uzor is a 53-year-old mother of two. She is also a caterer.

Ms Ikeanyionwu gave the names of the suspects as Lazarus Uzor, Anozie Uzor and Valentine Okwuosa.

She said the suspects’ arrest was facilitated by the commissioner, Mrs Obinabo, after a video clip showing the widow being abused and banished from the community went viral on social media.

Viral video

In the clip, seen by PREMIUM TIMES earlier this month, the widow was spotted being led out of the community by members of the community and two masquerades.

As she walked, the community members hurled abuses on her, while the two masquerades flogged her.

“On this day, Nneka (Uzor) committed an atrocity. She poisoned the food of the community, and she refused to go for appeasement. On that purpose, masquerades have arisen to say a final goodbye to Nneka to the boundary of no return,” a voice was in the background of the video was heard saying.

“Nneka, you shall not come back again (to the community). You have been ostracised. Today, marks her last day (in the community). The masquerade has ostracised her,” the voice added.

Apparently exhausted and weak, the widow collapsed in the middle of a road and the people abandoned her there.

Arraignment

Ms Ikeanyionwu said the suspects were later arrested and arraigned before the Children, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Court, in Awka.

The statement was silent on the details of the charges against the suspects.

When the charges were read and interpreted to the defendants, they pleaded not guilty of the charges, she said.

Ruling on bail application by the suspects, the Magistrate, Genevieve Osakwe, held that the matter was a bailable offence.

Ms Osakwe, consequently, granted them bail in the sum of N700, 000, but demanded that the suspects should provide the traditional ruler of the Umunankwo Community, the parish priest of the community’s Catholic Church or the president-general of the community as sureties.

In her reaction, the commissioner, Mrs Obinabo, expressed satisfaction with the decision of the court, Ms Ikeanyionwu said.

The commissioner assured that she would get justice for the widow and other widows in the state who are going through such ill-treatment.

She warned residents of the state to desist from any form of harmful traditional practices against widows, pointing out that Anambra State Government has zero tolerance for such “inhumane acts.”

Banished widow speaks

Mrs Uzor told the commissioner that she began living in her parents’ house in the community nine years ago after she lost her husband.

The widow regretted that her brothers and other family members had been abusing her since she began living with them in their parents’ house.

On the issue of being banished from the community, she narrated that someone had died in the community and that on the day of the person’s burial, she was invited like others, which made her pass a night there.

She said she was surprised that her brothers and other family members woke her up the next morning at about 5:30 a.m. with the masquerades and subsequently chased her out of the community.

Nkiru Uzor, a sister to the widow, alleged that it was one of the suspects, Lazarus, the immediate past president-general of the community, that instigated the banishment while Nnamdi, another suspect, coordinated the act and also filmed the incident.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/599923-brothers-label-their-widowed-sister-witch-banish-her-from-community.html

Nlfpmod

2 Likes

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Jennyclay(f): 10:42am On May 23, 2023
Too bad undecided.

I thought it’s only calabar people that are fond of this rubbish and nonsense witch banishing, I never knew Igbo people are the oga kpatakpata of banishing witches undecided.

90% of Nigerians are so backward and uncivilized.

Useless brothers from the pit of hell!!

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Acekidc4(m): 10:43am On May 23, 2023
Mumu Brothers Still Living in the Stone Age..................Let them Learn their Lesson inside Jail.................if you check am well, na because of Property oooooooo, Dem con use Witchcraft cover face.............Mumu backward People

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by duro4chang(m): 10:44am On May 23, 2023
All because of property.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by wis3(m): 10:48am On May 23, 2023
backward set of people. Same people that wanted to foist a third class dullard of philosophy on us.

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by travsco43: 10:56am On May 23, 2023
These people should grow up and get educated.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by olasaad(f): 11:11am On May 23, 2023
All because of one plot of land

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Makamatic: 12:42pm On May 23, 2023
Thanks goodness all these things no they happen for my state .

2 Likes

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by safarilove(m): 1:13pm On May 23, 2023
See how a wonderful family want to be torn apart..
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Freelancerr(m): 1:13pm On May 23, 2023
Nawa oo.

Check my signature
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by wahahlawahala: 1:14pm On May 23, 2023
Na dem... Even before opening the thread, we Don know na the delusional ppl frm the potopoto enclave😒

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by ManWater: 1:14pm On May 23, 2023
Slave Trade has long ended but many are still living under Mental Slavery which is far worse.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by iammo(m): 1:14pm On May 23, 2023
grin

I knew the region

I fvcking new it's gonna be them

Call out bad people call out bad culture it's not racism or tribalism it's to prevent such from continuing

We collectively call out Russians for invading Ukraine

We call out Redneck KKK Americans for killing blacks

Call out this people and you start hearing Tribalism, Bigotry

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by teacherbim(f): 1:14pm On May 23, 2023
These werey tribe are too backward , kilode

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Generalwoodz(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2023
See what the church has done sad

Chéck signaturé
⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 Likes

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by motih35295(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2023
Africa

I have Hisense double door fridge for sell
Contact via siggy
Location PH
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by wildikeman(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2023
E no go pass east sha....yeye lots

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Guyman01: 1:15pm On May 23, 2023
I love the way Anambra State is dealing decisively with people who perpetrate acts of injustice against women and widows in the State. Kudos to the no nonsense Commissioner for Women Affairs for prompt action, other states across the country should learn from Anambra State

9 Likes

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by wildikeman(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2023
iammo:
grin

I knew the region

I fvcking new it's gonna be them

Call out bad people call out bad culture it's not racism or tribalism it's to prevent such from continuing

Before nkoe ...e no dey pass them..marry your daughter to them at your own peril

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by theophorus(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2023
Dem go claim Billionaires but still dey fight widow for small things wen her husband leave for am.

Well, thanks to those social workers.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Roozzaay(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2023
Na them, hmmm.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by LeoDeKing: 1:16pm On May 23, 2023
I swear to God, I knew where this happened even before opening the thread because it can't happen elsewhere.

My purpose of opening the thread is not to confirm but to read their comments.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Bighead9: 1:17pm On May 23, 2023
This can only happen in South EAST.

Thank God Peter Obi no win that election. He for turn Nigeria to something else.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Pkzonec: 1:17pm On May 23, 2023
Life
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by SALLYBERRY01(m): 1:17pm On May 23, 2023
F
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Sunshine34(m): 1:17pm On May 23, 2023
What a savage,barbaric, uncivilize behavior

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Shigishege2: 1:18pm On May 23, 2023
grin afghanestern the land of the Babarians still living in the Stone age

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by 9jaBloke: 1:18pm On May 23, 2023
smh
Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by Flangelo12: 1:19pm On May 23, 2023
Very wicked people.

Evil.

And no I don't mean them alone.

2 Likes

Re: Brothers Label Their Widowed Sister Witch, Banish Her From Community by pargelenis(m): 1:20pm On May 23, 2023
Thank goodness dem no kill her because I’ve seen numbskulls doing so over this absolutely nonsensical witchcraft belief.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. / My Mothers Ugly Wish / Crazy Things You Did As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.