Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,531 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari (23682 Views)

See The Moment Atiku Admitted The PDP Looted Funds Under Obasanjo / Emmanuel Ikechukwu, RCCG Pastor, Declares For Presidency Under Obasanjo’s ADC / Buhari Talks Tough; Attacks Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Mbaya28: 4:31pm On Jun 09, 2023
Na so i dey shine my eyes too dey look, i dey wait! shocked
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by snowball11(m): 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2023
fastseo:
honestly the man was a big mistake and the whole of Nigeria will keep paying for making such mistakes for years to come.

The best president we had was OBJ

Sure. Infact, OBJ presidency help settled most Nigeria external debts!
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Svoboda(m): 4:42pm On Jun 09, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I guess these things are tradeoffs. I'm not conversant with the Manufacturing sector and the damage the Obj regime did there. I'd be happy if you can point me to references I can read up. But no matter how bad his regime was, opening up the telco sector was a huge gain. It enabled a lot of other service industries of you ask me

Have you heard about what economists refer to as the dutch disease? That was what exactly happened when the telco and capital markets sectors grew under obj, while the manufacturing sector floundered.
Obasanjos govt privatised well performing state owned manufacturing entities, fireselling them to cronies that had neither expertise nor financial resources to run them.

I dont need to show you a link. Objs privatization footprints are everywhere. Likewise, his real sector performance is everywhere.
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Judolisco(m): 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
fastseo:
the last administration took us back.
thriving nations like UK, USA etc are built on competence not based on quota system or turn by turn .

OBJ remains the best president ever

who knows what we are going to see in this administration
OBJ employed brains na... Same with Jonathan and Yar'adua.... Buhari employed party members and members of his village

1 Like

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by airsaylongcome: 4:58pm On Jun 09, 2023
Svoboda:

Have you heard about what economists refer to as the dutch disease? That was what exactly happened when the telco and capital markets sectors grew under obj, while the manufacturing sector floundered.
Obasanjos govt privatised well performing state owned manufacturing entities, fireselling them to cronies that had neither expertise nor financial resources to run them.

I dont need to show you a link. Objs privatization footprints are everywhere. Likewise, his real sector performance is everywhere.

So I grew up in a suburb of Warri. Grew up in Delta Steel with the steel plant located in Aladja and Staff residence in Ovwian and Orhuwhorun. So I know first hand what the privatisation did. But to be fair, DSC was long dead before the privatisation.

2 Likes

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Bolaji1996: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2023
Dey whine urself, people will still support who they want. Even if the country get burnt, people go still support who they wish. So no dey feel like na u get sense pass.

slawomir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
I don't care how it fared under the rest

But one thing am sure of and I want is for it to get worse for us under tinubu if at all the court will not sack him since we don't want to stop stepping into the polling unit without sentiment and tribalism

Una never see anything....

You know the funny thing i carried out a survey and found out that we way dey step into the poling unit without tribalism na we actually get money for this country
Please if any nairaland members think am lying then do your own survey here on nairaland and at your area at home you will see what am talking
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Amalekki: 6:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
Read again and debate what was put before you instead of your own interpretation, I never said privatization was right or wrong.

I said "the implementation". I refer to the way Atiku's team under Obasanjo handled the privatization process for national assets like Ajaokuta Steel Company, Nigerian Machine Tools, Inland Rolling Mills (Osogbo, Katsina, Jos), Nigeria Airways, NITEL, NEPA, ASCON Aluminium Smelting Company, NICON NOGA/Hilton, etc.

Secondly, I stated that the bar was very low. Obasanjo came in after a prolonged military rule with a constrained economy.

djon78:

I disagree
Privatisation was the right thing to do. Government has no business running anything

Look at nitel, Nigeria airways, our refineries everything run by government is corrupt

So Obasanjo did well on that

His regime is a million times better than what APC bequeathed us

2 Likes

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Karnice600: 6:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
dre11:

https://dailytrust.com/how-economy-fared-under-obasanjo-yaradua-jonathan-buhari/

Talking about statistics.
Was expecting to see infographics here.
Reading all of these takes a good fragment of eternity.
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by McStoic(m): 7:02pm On Jun 09, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:
Hope you all see what the ‘abokinisation’ of the Nigerian political-economy has caused! I don’t even wanna think of the debt Nigeria accrued under Buhari, not to mention the tens…..if not hundreds of thousands of deaths!

The most annoying thing is that these abokis too like power which they are not good at. The little achievement Nigeria has ever achieved at any point in time has always been when a southerner is in power. That's why I tell people that no matter how bad BAT's government gets, it can never be as bad as that of Buhari, and i am saying this even though I am a hardcore Obidient. Reason being that Southerners are far more likely to go for competence over ethnicity unlike Southerners.

We southerners have tolerated a lot of things the North can never tolerate. When Buhari was ruling, and travelled abroad, you would always notice some difference when Osinbajo exerted some degree of power..

1 Like

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Mistermamus(m): 8:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
LegendHero:

It will get worse for your own family alone.

Stop adding us to your misfortune.

Tinubu will be the president and even the Oba of Benin will hang his portrait in his lovely palace.

buhari fan boys wrote this kinda stuff 2015 here and we all know how it ended now some are not even alive today
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Gajagojo: 9:34pm On Jun 09, 2023
ba7man:
Buhari's regime Was plagued by

(1) Record low oil prices that resulted in 2 recessions.

(2) A depleted National reserves due to the mass looting by the GEJ administration which left little to no funds to defend the naira.

(3) Record low oil output production due to rise in Pipeline vandalism and bombings (Remember Niger Delta Avengers)

(4) Covid-19

(5) 2 Lockdowns due to Covid-19.

(6) The ill adviced Naira consfication by Godwin Emefiele. I'll blame Buhari for this one for not vetting the idea properly.

I'm surprised Nigeria Was able to survive these challenges which I'm sure GEJ would never have been able to navigate.

.......or you can just stew in ignorance and blame Buhari.
On average Buhari had higher oil prices than Obasanjo from start to finish

Recession was not down to oil prices but cluelessness and wrong policy
When he came in he took t forever to appoint an economic team and allowed his cronies to initiate a multiple exchange rate regime
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by bizhop01: 10:19pm On Jun 09, 2023
People that voted buhari for president will never have peace cool
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by ba7man(m): 4:59am On Jun 10, 2023
Gajagojo:

On average Buhari had higher oil prices than Obasanjo from start to finish

Recession was not down to oil prices but cluelessness and wrong policy
When he came in he took t forever to appoint an economic team and allowed his cronies to initiate a multiple exchange rate regime
The value of the Dollar wasn't commensurate to what we have today. That was roughly 15-20yrs ago.

The value of $1 back then is greater than the value today. It's just global economics.

Currency is never stagnant in value, it reduces over time.

Buhari only made sure we walked through that valley we've always avoided by hiding behind oil prices.
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by GEEBITE: 8:31am On Jun 10, 2023
GDP is measured year on year. So the growth accorded to his Giverment is actually measured against the decline of the previous year even in recession. To the Economists it is glaring he failed miserably.
agabaI23:
Whoever wrote this is trying very much to make Buhari look good with half truths and outright lies.

You compared parallel market exchange rate under Jonathan to official exchange rate under Buhari. How smart?

You stated that growth rate remained at 2.31% under Buhari ignoring the years of recession.

I just read the Jonathan portion and I felt someone wants to rewrite history deliberately.
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Akaimmanuel(m): 9:09am On Jun 10, 2023
an image, a visual description like a pie or bar chart or some infographic would have sent the message more than this long article
Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by magzey: 11:05am On Jun 10, 2023
abhosts:
Now just imagine if Obasanjo had stayed in office till 2019. Japa levels would have reduced to a bare minimum
Where OBJ will continue to chop Billions of Dollars on Electricity and his farms ,libraries etc Abi ? grin grin
Buhari even tried with Pandemics and incestant terrorist he forge true and performed with capital project to show, show us what PDP did with their huge oil monies grin grin ?

Re: How Economy Fared Under Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan, Buhari by Svoboda(m): 1:37pm On Jun 23, 2023
airsaylongcome:

So I grew up in a suburb of Warri. Grew up in Delta Steel with the steel plant located in Aladja and Staff residence in Ovwian and Orhuwhorun. So I know first hand what the privatisation did. But to be fair, DSC was long dead before the privatisation.

Youre right. In some
cases, they were already moribund under the military.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Won’t Accept A Non-indigene As Mayor Of Aba, Natives Tell Gov Otti / Fani-Kayode: I Am A Lion That Cannot Be Caged / Less Than 1.5 Million Nigerians Eligible To Vote In 2023 – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.