Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,369 members, 7,957,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:59 AM

Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? (5574 Views)

Lagos In Darkness As Militants Damage Escravos Gas Plant / Who Is Rivers State Governor At The Moment? / Why Is Rivers State Sea Port Underutilised While Lagos Suffers From Congestion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2011
people are saying theres power improvement nationwide but its very false when it comes to Rivers state. what the hell is wrong with that state? Port harcourt is in perpetual darkness and i dont think i'll be returning back soon. There is no power in Rivers state. what is wrong? is there hope for port harcourt?
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 30, 2011
if you are in Rivers lets hear about the power situation from your area.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by seanet02: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2011
Because the leading Party of Darkness is in Power
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by igbo2011(m): 6:51pm On Sep 30, 2011
Tell Ameachi to provide power.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 7:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
@OP
where am staying here in PH is in TOTAL darkness for the past 3 WEEKS until a flash yester night. A friend told me it has to do with routine maintenance. Burning fuel day and night can be frustrating.

Chei! Nothing wey jobless man no go see for naija.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Beaf: 7:23pm On Sep 30, 2011
I wonder what you winshes and enjoyers of bad news will say when Rivers state has completed its upgrade?
When areas of disagreement have been sorted, una go find anoda place to suck blood sha. . . Because winshes don't like light at all at all! And Rivers will be shining. Lol!
If only your sorry states could be like Rivers!

Blackout in Rivers as govt, PHCN disagree
Written by Bashiru Abdullahi, Port Harcourt Monday, 26 September 2011 00:00

Disagreement between the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and the Rivers State government has thrown the state into darkness.

The PHCN is accusing the Rivers State Ministry of Power of being responsible for power failure in the state by obstructing its reconstruction   work at the 132KV Afam-Port Harcourt line.

A PHCN official, who pleaded anonymity, said the state’s power plant situated close to Oyigbo area of the state has been interfering with their network, thereby obstructing the restoration of power.

The Rivers State Commissioner for Power, Mr. Augustine Wokocha, in an interview with Daily Trust also confirmed that the power failure in the state was as a result of the state government’s work on its Afam transmission lines. Wokocha however added that the government is engaging in a turn-in turn-out process to synchronize its networks   and generation points to ensure steady and sustainable electricity supply in the state.

“Our network and generation points are standing alone, so we need to have a backbone to supply sub-stations. With what we are doing, we are trying to create a harmonious system to improve power supply. It is better for residents to face the current power outage for a few days and enjoy improved electricity supply for many years to come. We have been collaborating with PHCN on this, but basically, there are communication issues. I promise that the on-going work on Afam substation will soon be completed and electricity supply would be restored,” he said.

The commissioner further said that he has the mandate of the  state government to provide  sustainable electricity  and that N25billion has been granted to the ministry   to stabilize 28 sub stations out of the N70 billion required to have sustainable electricity before the end  of next year. He said the state spent about N100 billion in the past eight years on electricity.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28473:blackout-in-rivers-as-govt-phcn-disagree&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2011
^ Stop diving in with your head or you can step out of your hotel room to feel the heat.

The said planned maintenance was schedule to take place last month and the whole state endure 3 weeks of darkness. Only to be told now that the transformer got burnt again. How can you put a whole state in darkness for 6 weeks without backups?

Check out a state like Rivers in darkness for 6 forking weeks!. Those in PH should come out to discredit my post
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Beaf: 7:45pm On Sep 30, 2011
^
Of course the place is in darkness, but it is for positive and very well publicised reasons. Any clown could have looked the thing up on the web instead of trying to create rumours and bad news for the usual winshes to congregate around.

“Our network and generation points are standing alone, so we need to have a backbone to supply sub-stations. With what we are doing, we are trying to create a harmonious system to improve power supply. It is better for residents to face the current power outage for a few days and enjoy improved electricity supply for many years to come. We have been collaborating with PHCN on this, but basically, there are communication issues. I promise that the on-going work on Afam substation will soon be completed and electricity supply would be restored,” he said.

I don't think any of the above can't be easily understood.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 30, 2011
@Beaf

you are an evil goon!

you've never been to ph in your all your life. so you got nothing to say murrafacker.

@topic

so whats the power situation in your area, are you guys seeing light at all?
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Beaf: 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2011
^
Can I bring a cup of bat blood for you winshes to drink? grin grin grin
Jealousy and bad bele go kill una. embarassed
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
Get lost punk! Jealous of mediocre achievements? funny skunk
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 8:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
^ The power situation is very bad as it is, but there is a maintenance going on and i hope  the out come wont be thesame everytime. My problem is when you mention 'few days' and end up gulping 6 weeks without any sign of light, then people have the rights to start complaining.  Haven't they been patient enough?
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by aljharem3: 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2011
diluminati:

@Beaf

you are an evil goon!

you've never been to ph in your all your life. so you got nothing to say murrafacker.

@topic

so whats the power situation in your area, are you guys seeing light at all?

na beaf is not evil o

he is just doing what he was paid to do for GEJ. PR

just doing his job grin grin grin doluwa beaf wink
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Beaf: 8:09pm On Sep 30, 2011
Rhino.4dm:

^ The power situation is very bad as it is, but there is a maintenance going on and i hope the out come wont be thesame everytime. My problem is when you mention 'few days' and end up gulping 6 weeks without any sign of light, then people have the rights to start complaining. Haven't they been patient enough?

The problem exists because the state govt in their hurry, simply barged into PHCN installations without asking and issues arose. Its how quickly those gaps can be blocked that will determine how soon nomarlcy will return to the power situation in Rivers; but the Rivers govt has recognised were they went wrong and are working with PHCN to complete the upgrades to the grid.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Beaf: 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2011
diluminati:

Get lost punk! Jealous of mediocre achievements? funny skunk

Lol! "Mediocre achievements" that are making you wet your pants and develop fever?
Being a winsh na hard work. Take panadol my sister. grin

[img]http://4.bp..com/_SNj_VAPQu2A/TNeMgD6-_hI/AAAAAAAABys/XWcn8UOtBS8/s320/genital_warts_medicine.jpg[/img]

"Effective on pain, gentle on stomachs." grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2011
I happened to Ply Obigbo LGA today enroute Afam. I must confess, that was the worst nightmarish journey i'd ever embarked on.
Governor Amaechi should as a matter of urgency/emergency do something about that axis of Rivers State.

Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by realchange: 8:18pm On Sep 30, 2011
Nigerians are too much in hurry sometines. If power has improved it would take some time to get around.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2011
More

Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 8:27pm On Sep 30, 2011
You dont wanna start, do ya?. . .grin grin grin.

Those road are making Amaechi look very bad. My handset is filled with images of "Poto-Poto". I started a thread on the sorry state of roads in Rivers, to stimulate the need to put things in proper shape.

Though, they said the roads are "under" construction. It is actually a nightmare driving through Rivers except for old Aba road. . .

Okoro2015:

I happened to Ply Obigbo LGA today enroute Afam. I must confess, that was the worst nightmarish journey i'd ever embarked on.
Governor Amaechi should as a matter of urgency/emergency do something about that axis of Rivers State.
of Rivers State.
[quote][/quote]
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2011
I only uploaded the most descent ones. Imagine Keke passengers being emptied in one of the mini canals? I am a fan of Amaechi and i admire his courage and the way he had handled some delicate issues in his domain. The essence of my uploads therefore. is to urge him to expedite action in the rescue of Obigbo road users. It is really pathetic.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by hoodboy(m): 9:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
power has been restored in alakahia (UPTH) since around monday, that's after like a week's blackout
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 30, 2011
hoodboy:

power has been restored in alakahia (UPTH) since around monday, that's after like a week's blackout

thats an half lie, my lil sis over there says the power comes on for 5 mins and kaboom it flies of. which kind power be that? How long does it last? ehn?

@Rhino

dont you have inside info on how long the upgrade will last, have they even started, which level have they gone to?

Nairaland has come to the point when a concerned official should come and address the situation. whats the use of this place sef? mssscheew embarassed
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by hoodboy(m): 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
diluminati:

thats an half lie, my lil sis over there says the power comes on for 5 mins and kaboom it flies of. which kind power be that? How long does it last? ehn?

@Rhino

dont you have inside info on how long the upgrade will last, have they even started, which level have they gone to?

Nairaland has come to the point when a concerned official should come and address the situation. whats the use of this place sef? mssscheew embarassed

@illuminati; I slept with light last night, and woke up to meet it. I currently have light, and its been on since around 4pm. I had light for the greater part of yesterday and the Big Gen that supplies my house light didn't not even come on yesterday as there was light almost throughout.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 30, 2011
thanks for the update hoodboy.

what about other parts of Rivers?
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 3:33am On Oct 01, 2011
The first time i slept with [size=16pt]NEPA light in weeks without the sound of generator[/size].cheesy cheesy. Still watching . . . stii watching!

Infact am typing right now using NEPA.

And my area? GRA.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 01, 2011
@Rhino

really? still dont wanna come back, lets see how long it will last now

and by the way GRA has been the worst hit.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Rhino4dm: 9:11am On Oct 01, 2011
Yes o! The light still dey kampe 11 hours and still counting . . . .cheesy cheesy cheesy

Hope they sustain the current tempo. . .No buying of diesel, chei! see extra cash for red wine this evening cool

diluminati:

@Rhino

really? still dont wanna come back, lets see how long it will last now

and by the way GRA has been the worst hit.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by frenchman2: 9:21am On Oct 01, 2011
Rhino.4dm:

The first time i slept with [size=16pt]NEPA light in weeks without the sound of generator[/size].cheesy cheesy. Still watching . . . stii watching!

Infact am typing right now using NEPA.

And my area? GRA.
pls be specific which of the GRAs you are referring to.

because in my own G.R.A we've been boasting of light throughout this week. roughly 20hrs per day

I know at elekahia estate there hasn't been any light for 2wks running now
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by hoodboy(m): 9:28am On Oct 01, 2011
@illuminati, I still have light. I don't know about other parts of rivers.
tongue
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by phantom(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2011
eliogbolo,rumuokoro, dem jus bring light this morning since 2 weeks, angry angry,
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 01, 2011
In my area in rumuomasi,there has been relative steady light since last week, for elekahia estate, one of their high tension pole collapsed early last week,i saw phcn workers trying to replace it.

@topic, rivers state is on course, just that nigerians dont have patience.they always want things to be done in a hurry.
Re: Why Is Rivers State In Darkness? by LloydAchi(m): 10:43am On Oct 01, 2011
Yes, there was some maintenance going on for the past few weeks now. But the light came back to my area, Garrison, Ogbumnuabali since the day before yesterday. Its been steady since but there are occasional switch-off from time to time but we been sleeping all night with light and we are now enjoying it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians / Okorocha accuses PDP of floating Radio Biafra / Muslims Forced by CAR 'christian' militias To Abandon Their Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.