Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army (9316 Views)

Ongoing Protest By Dismissed Immigration Personnels Recruited Under GEJ / 500 Engineers To Be Recruited For New Power-Plants – Gov. Fayemi / Libyan Rebel Flag Looks Similar To The Biafran Flag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast2: 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2011
A security expert told the Nigerian Tribune that the deposed Libyan leader had a network through which he identified young Nigerians who could be recruited into the Libyan army and other forces.

Another source said that the former Libyan leader usually offered those recruits scholarships and opportunity to pursue lifetime career in the Libyan Armed Forces.

It was learnt that the Libyan leader deliberately did not restrict the recruitment drive to a section of the country and that while many from the North and South-East took up offers in the military, those from the South-West and South-South usually did not take up the offer.

It was also gathered that the development lasted many years and that many of those recruited were encouraged to leave the youth service for a more promising career in the Libyan Armed Forces.

A source said that one young man  from the South-East approached by Gaddafi’s agents  once asked for advice after receiving a letter of offer to serve in the Libyan army.

"You have to note that the anger of the militants, who are fighting Gaddafi, against Nigerians initially was largely fuelled by the realisation that many Nigerians were actually recruited by Gaddafi and were part of the last vestiges of resistance for Libya’s long-standing leader," a source told the Nigerian Tribune.

The source further said that the Libyan leader was told that Nigerian youths generally faced difficulties of unemployment after graduation. He was said to usually target graduating students, who fulfilled the requirements for military recruitment.

"He (Gaddafi) saw the  advantage of getting Nigerians into his armed forces  since he knew that many of them were aware they would be roaming the streets of Nigeria after graduation. Through the process he got many recruits,” the source said, adding that many northern youths, who also travelled to Libya for studies, ended up in the military.

just unconfirmed sources,no proofs. . .d source might just be his mind spewing lies.what kind of journalism is that? Undecided

Of course, the journalist was informed of the ethnicities of the soldiers from an unconfirmed Yoruba boy who lived in Libya and was angry with the people from the named ethnicities he lived with in Libya. However, I am telling you from a confirmed source that  Akin, Okoro, Abubakir and Osaro were all in the Libyan military,which was a good thing, as they probably would all have become armed robbers had they not been employed by Gadhaffi.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 02, 2011
philip0906:

just unconfirmed sources,no proofs. . .d source might just be his mind spewing lies.what kind of journalism is that? undecided

So the luxurious buses from the SOUTH EAST that was sent to libya  to bring some ibos  was also false too ?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by deadie(m): 10:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
Yoruba nonesense.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast2: 10:13pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So the luxurious buses from the SOUTH EAST that was sent to libya  to bring some ibos  was also false too ?

Where did you read that from? Is that one more of your fake reporting?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by nagoma(m): 10:16pm On Oct 02, 2011
Gaddafi would recruit anybody into the Libyan army, young men from the SE nigeria will obviously be the majority because money is involved & also Libya is on their way as they trek to Europe en- mass. I am not surprised if there were only few yorubas - as joining the army is never one of their pastimes. If gaddafi was recruiting taxi drivers, they will of course be the majority by far.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by member479760: 10:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
tribalism at work again, you guys gain nothing from it besides headache. i'm sure where iboman dey yorubaman also dey there! they brothers in anything you can think.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 10:22pm On Oct 02, 2011
if the account is true, then i assume reasons why southeasterners or southsoutherners [abi which regions were mentioned again] would form a majority of the recruits could include they were to be active later in a nationalistic civil war or civil unrest like what happened in sierra leone and liberia.

just theorizing here.

but the fact that luxurious buses from the east were sent to pick up the libyans, seems to be a pointer?

any names, hometowns or other info on these people?

photos?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast2: 10:24pm On Oct 02, 2011
tpia@:

but the fact that luxurious buses from the east were sent to pick up the libyans, seems to be a pointer?

Source. Thanks. Were luxurious buses sent from the East to pick them or a luxurious bus owned by an easterner was doing his duty of plying people from place to place? Do you realize that those buses ply a lot of west african routes?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by aloyemeka1: 10:25pm On Oct 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Can you name any Nigerian luxurious bus company that is not from the South East?.So why is the reporter specifically naming the origin of the buses?. By the way, didn't the Igbos send buses to the North to relocate south east and south southerners during the Abiola saga?. What makes you think they wouldn't send one to rescue their people in Libya in times of trouble?.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 10:27pm On Oct 02, 2011
South.East:

Source. Thanks.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/21458.html

South.East:

Were luxurious buses sent from the East to pick them or a luxurious bus owned by an easterner was doing his duty of plying people from place to place? Do you realize that those buses ply a lot of west african routes?

no idea of the specifics.

can someone find out the destination plz.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast2: 10:31pm On Oct 02, 2011
tpia@:

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/21458.html

no idea of the specifics.

can someone find out the destination plz.

You said buses were sent from the SE. So please expplain what you know more. On what basis would a SE state or states send buses to pick people from Libya? Any possibility in that?

Do you realize that 90% of all luxurious buses are owned by private Igbo persons and as such any bus plying in and out of Nigeria (doing their job) will be most likely Igbo-owned?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast2: 10:34pm On Oct 02, 2011
Is it even possible that any buses would have traveled to Libya from Nigeria across the desert with all the bombs and bullet flying about?

The Nigerians would most likely have managed to escape to Niger Republic and then got Nigerian buses (most of which are privately Igbo-owned) that normally ply Niger-Nigeria routes. That is the likely scenario.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 11:26pm On Oct 02, 2011
^The libyans involved were picked up from kaduna toll gate and said they had trekked for three weeks across the desert to get to nigeria.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 11:30pm On Oct 02, 2011
As per the buses, well the link gave their registration numbers which are anambra state.

I dont know if luxurious bus companies are registered in the state their headquarters are based in, or their destination states.

It would help if you could find out what's the usual procedure for transporting large numbers of displaced people. Does the govt have state vehicles it uses in such situations or are private companies contacted for help.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by asha80(m): 11:41pm On Oct 02, 2011
tpia@:

As per the buses, well the link gave their registration numbers which are anambra state.

I dont know if luxurious bus companies are registered in the state their headquarters are based in, or their destination states.

It would help if you could find out what's the usual procedure for transporting large numbers of displaced people. Does the govt have state vehicles it uses in such situations or are private companies contacted for help.

before where do you expect it to be?

don't you know that most luxury bus owners are from anambra and some of there head quaters is there?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SisiKill1: 11:54pm On Oct 02, 2011
One would think they fact that another country knows our graduates will be easy pickings because of lack of job opportunities will be the strongest point for concern here. . .but nooooo. . .let's focus on the useless my tribe is better than your tribe crapola. We sure don't get enough of that
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast1: 12:04am On Oct 03, 2011
tpia@:

Now I know where your ignorance stems from. You assume because they are Igbo-owned, their destinations must always be Igboland
Well, some of those buses have never set their tires on Igboland:

They ply Lagos-North and opposite
Lagos-Senegal and opposite (West African route, especially ABC transport)
Lagos-Abuja and opposite
Lagos-East
East-North and opposite
Ibadan-Port Harcourt and back
East-Lagos (in which case their destination is Lagos)
North-North and up to Niger Republic.
Etc, etc.
So, the fact that the buses are Igbo-owned does not EXPRESSLY mean those guys from Libya were Igbos, nor does it mean the buses were Igboland-bound. Got it now
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by aloyemeka1: 12:33am On Oct 03, 2011
South-East:

Now I know where your ignorance stems from. You assume because they are Igbo-owned, their destinations must always be Igboland
Well some of those buses have never set their tires on Igboland:

Lagos-Senegal and opposite
Lagos-Abuja and opposite
Lagos-East
East-North

So the fact that the buses are Igbo-owned does not EXPRESSLY mean those guys from Libya were Igbos, nor does it mean the buses were Igboland-bound. Got it now

That's how they reason here. You know that British Airways only carry Britons who are going back to Britain.Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by ak47mann(m): 12:45am On Oct 03, 2011
^^^
grin grin grin
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by member479760: 6:53am On Oct 03, 2011
so the 42 years of Gaddafi good living ended in trash and he is on the run! Allahu Akbar!!! of what benefit to a man that gain the whole world and lost his life!
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by adamaw2tuf: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2011
@TUUNYTOX. SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL DOESNT MAKE SENSE AT ALL IF ALL ONE WAS ABLE TO LEARN IS TO SPEW LOADS OF RUUBBIISSHH LIKE YOUR PEOPLE DO IN THEIR QUEST TO TURN NEIGHBOURS AGAINST EACH OTHER WHILE THEY YOUR PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS DENY OR COVER EVIL THAT THEY CARRY OUT ON A DAILY BASES,BUT WOULD GO AROUND FABRICATING RUUBBIISSHH AGAINST OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS. DONT BE MAD AT ME FOR REALISING THAT,GO AND STOP YOUR YOOHOORU YOOHOORU DENIALS STOP SPEWING SHIIIT AGAINST OTHERS,SINGLING OUT OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS AS YOUR HOBY WHILE YOU DO EVERYTHING COVER YOUR STINKING ASS OR NOT BEING MINDFUL OF THE FACT THAT YOU CAN FOOL SOME PEOPLE SOMETIME BUT YOU CANT FOOL ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME IS A VERY DANGEROUS GAME.YOUR DISGRACED JOURNALIST AND THE HATE SPREADING NEWSPAPERS SHOULD KNOW BETTER IF IT IS NOT THEIR BLOOD,PAHERPS THEY THOUGHT LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO "LETS SPICE UP SOME STUUPIIDE NEWS AS LONG AS WE SPIN IT AGAINST THE NORTH AND SOUTHEST EVERYBODY WILL TAKE IT"NOW YOU TALKED ABOUT CURROPTION BEING THE PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTR,SO HOW DID THE CURROPTION COME ABOUT TO THIS ALMOST INCURABLE LEVEL?ITS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THIS JOURNALIST WOULD FIND OUT THAT A YORUBA POLITICIAN/LEADER IS CURROPT AND EVIL,AND FOR HIM/HER TO EXPOSE THAT POLITICIAN/LEADER HIM/HER WOULD INSTEAD COVER UP FOR THEIR SO CALLED INTEREST GROUP AND TRY AND SPIN IT AGAINST OTHERS,NOW THAT IS THE PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 11:28am On Oct 03, 2011
South-East:

Well, some of those buses have never set their tires on Igboland:

Lagos-Senegal and opposite (West African route, especially ABC transport)
Lagos-Abuja and opposite
Lagos-East
East-North and opposite
Etc, etc.
So, the fact that the buses are Igbo-owned does not EXPRESSLY mean those guys from Libya were Igbos, nor does it mean the buses were Igboland-bound. Got it now

you're projecting.

what i specifically asked was can someone find out the destination ie where those buses went to with the returnees.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by tpia5: 11:32am On Oct 03, 2011
btw i dont think the reporter specifically said there are no other tribes besides the ones mentioned, in libya.

i beleive he was referring to specific incidents in which nigerians were recruited to serve in the libyan army and at which times only or mainly people from certain areas were targetted, or responded.

there was a thread on nl last year or so about the US army specifically requesting Igbo recruits.

i didnt hear anyone complaining or denying then?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by philip0906(m): 12:50pm On Oct 03, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So the luxurious buses from the SOUTH EAST that was sent to libya to bring some ibos was also false too ?
My friend y r u confussing ur self?was the luxurious Bus(thats if any) sent to Libya to rescue Nigerians(igbos according to u) trapped in the Libyan conflict or rescue igbos(according to the reporters "source"wink recruited in the Libyan army?Cos if it was sent to rescue Nigerians trapped in the conflict,What is d fuss all about?So please stop whining all around the thread.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 03, 2011
philip0906:

My friend y r u confussing your self?was the luxurious Bus(thats if any) sent to Libya to rescue Nigerians(igbos according to u) trapped in the Libyan conflict or rescue igbos(according to the reporters "source"wink recruited in the Libyan army?Cos if it was sent to rescue Nigerians trapped in the conflict,What is d fuss all about?So please stop whining all around the thread.
I'm sure the word ''mercenaries'' or ''Ghadaffi fighters'' should mean something to you when it was used to qualify the said ibos and hausas.
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by philip0906(m): 1:38pm On Oct 03, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I'm sure the word ''mercenaries'' or ''Ghadaffi fighters'' should mean something to you when it was used to qualify the said ibos and hausas.
U just dey confuse your self.Which said igbos?the victims or the supposed fighters?. . .Take a look at what u earlier on said,that the bus was there to rescue victims
however,the case at hand had mainly people from the east as victims and that was why ekene di chuku sent luxurious buses to rescue them !
So please answer my question and stop beating around the bush .was the luxurious Bus(thats if any) sent to Libya to rescue Nigerians(igbos according to u) trapped in the Libyan conflict or rescue igbos(according to the reporters "source"wink recruited in the Libyan army?What is the relationship between the bus u mentioned and this report?I am only wondering how the sending of a bus to rescue trapped igbo victims as u claim,is now what u use to defend ur support for this blind report 4rm a journalist. . .
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
philip0906:

U just dey confuse your self. . .Take a look at what u earlier on said,that the bus was there to rescue victims So please answer my question and stop beating around the bush .was the luxurious Bus(thats if any) sent to Libya to rescue Nigerians(igbos according to u) trapped in the Libyan conflict or rescue igbos(according to the reporters "source"wink recruited in the Libyan army?What is the relationship between the bus u mentioned and this report?
seems you want me to hit the nail on your head.The luxurious went there to rescue ibos and hausas that fought for Ghadaffi.btw,why are you stressing yourself ? Didn't you watch the report on CNN ?
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by philip0906(m): 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2011
~Bluetooth:

seems you want me to hit the nail on your head.The luxurious went there to rescue ibos and hausas that fought for Ghadaff[/b]i.btw,why are you stressing yourself ? Didn't you watch the report on CNN ?
Gbam. . .but u are a box of confusion u know?u admitted that the people rescued were victims with d below post
however,[b]the case at hand had mainly people from the east as victims and that was why ekene di chuku sent luxurious buses to rescue them !
How did the victims all of a sudden turn to the mercinaries?Where in this report was reference made to the cnn report?How did the victims in the report all of a sudden metamorphose into mercinaries?Where was it stated in the Cnn report state that the victims were ghadaffi mercinaries not to talk of specifically mentioning the igbo/hausa tribe? undecided
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2011
philip0906:

Gbam. . .but u are a box of confusion u know?u admitted that the people rescued were victims with d below postHow did the victims all of a sudden turn to the mercinaries?Where in this report was reference made to the cnn report?How did the victims in the report all of a sudden metamorphose into mercinaries?Where was it stated in the Cnn report state that the victims were ghadaffi mercinaries not to talk of specifically mentioning the igbo/hausa tribe? undecided
Your objective in twisting an already established fact is surprising to me.Nigerians fought for Ghadaffi,they were caught by the rebels in which some were killed and others arrested.Nigeria government protested even the UN and US condemned the action of the libyan rebels.The media investigated the issue,came out and tell us that most of the so called Nigerians are of ibo and hausa origin and you are here twisting word out of my mouth ? Did i write the report or what ? Am i cnn or tribune ?
It's a simple case,ibos and hausas fought for Ghadaffi.it's no big deal !
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by philip0906(m): 2:20pm On Oct 03, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Your objective in twisting an already established fact is surprising to me.Nigerians fought for Ghadaffi,they were caught by the rebels in which some were killed and others arrested.Nigeria government protested even the UN and US condemned the action of the libyan rebels.The media investigated the issue,came out and tell us that most of the so called Nigerians are of ibo and hausa origin and you are here twisting word out of my mouth ? Did i write the report or what ? Am i cnn or tribune ?
It's a simple case,ibos and hausas fought for Ghadaffi.it's no big deal !
u r not even smart at evading questions. . .anywayz goodluck 2 u,because u r ready 2 keep dodging till God knows when.But u r always free 2 take a look at those questions and give answers grin grin
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2011
philip0906:

u r not even smart at evading questions. . .anywayz goodluck 2 u,because u r ready 2 keep dodging till God knows when.But u r always free 2 take a look at those questions and give answers grin grin
Funny. . .you think your opinion that doesn't count which you continue to spill around just to defend your fellow ibos is enough to rubbish this report.No wonder your fellow NL ibos were screaming junk journalism when they saw the reporter being a yoruba.
Ibos and hausas fought for Ghadaffi !
Re: How Gaddafi Recruited Nigerians Into Libyan Army by SouthEast1: 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Funny. . .you think your opinion that doesn't count which you continue to spill around just to defend your fellow ibos is enough to rubbish this report.No wonder your fellow NL ibos were screaming junk journalism when they saw the reporter being a yoruba.
Ibos and hausas fought for Ghadaffi !

And your own opinion counts to who? You and your fake journalism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Grills Five Ex-nnpc Bosses Over $153m Transfer / Minimum Wage: Ngige Consults AGF, Threatens To Sue Governors / Ganduje Resolves Kano APC Crisis, Reconciles Grieving Parties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.