Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

The Chase For Money By Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Chase For Money By Christians (848 Views)

5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today / Child Dedication By Christians, Any Biblical Support To This Practice / Scriptural Abuse By Christians? Touch Not My Anointed And Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Chase For Money By Christians by sbm4real(m): 3:20pm On Oct 02, 2011
Beloved, it is amazing how the message of the cross has been turned into the message of money, I recently heard of a man of God who preached from philipians 2:4-13 and told the people to work out their billions, that the billions are in them and they should work it out, How on earth can you preach money from such a scripture that tells us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, is our salvation about money or comfort? No
We have been saved and called out of the world to conform to the stature of the measure of the fullness of Christ, we are not saved to become rich, we are saved to become more like Christ and wait for the return of Christ so that we can enter into our glorious inheritance at the appearance of Christ, Most pastors hardly teach about the second coming of Christ, they only motivate people with words, the bible already says that in the end times, people will gather and listen to what their ears are itching to hear, if we want money, we don't need to get born again to get it, non born again christians are rich too, Abraham was rich and solomon was rich before Christ, so Christ didn't come so that we can be rich, we need to be careful of what we listen to so that we are not deceived and that we may set our hearts on the coming of Christ, comments are welcome
Re: The Chase For Money By Christians by Joagbaje(m): 6:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
It depends on the perspective and and point of view.  Exegesically it may not be the actual interpretation of that verse. But when it comes to preaching something's may not be quoted verbatim , the emphasis is rather the principles revealed in that verse and the topic the preacher is dwelling. And that principle cn be apply to other things.

I may not have the detail of the mans outline to get the details. But l think his emphasis is more on the principle he perceived in that verse.

For example . Everything that God is and God has is in us. We have his holiness , work it out. We have his righteousness , work it out. We have his health and life , work it out . We have his wealth and riches , work it out. So I guess the point of emphasis is the fact that it is not enough to have something inside ,after you have received , you must work it out by faith if not ,even though you have received, the thing you have received may not manifest.

A good example of this is seen in Timothy. Paul and elders have imparted him with the anointing ,gifts if the spirit and power by prophecy and laying on of hands  and orophecy. but if timothy only stops at that , the anointing may not produce result , the gifts may not work. Timothy must work it out through a conscious meditation. That's only when the result will show.

1 Timothy 4:14-15
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

So if a man has received salvation, it doesn't stop there, he has to work it out.  By that same principle . A christian has been blessed with wealth,but it won't just show, he has to work it out.
Re: The Chase For Money By Christians by sbm4real(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2011
Well said sir! The objective of my post is the departure of several preachers from the essence of the gospel to material things, However, in the example above,the passage of scripture being discussed talked about how Jesus humbled himself and got a name above every name, therefore paul encouraged that we should work out our salvation with fear and trembling, its a clear message on salvation and I don't think we should use it in another context, there are scriptures that can be expressed in different forms but not some scriptures that are direct as such, especially reading the verses before it. Like I said, my objective is to encourage christians that there are several teachings that suggest that the essence of our christianity is to be wealthy but the essence is to grow and become like Christ and make ready for His return,
Re: The Chase For Money By Christians by Joagbaje(m): 7:43pm On Oct 02, 2011
sbm4real:

Like I said, my objective is to encourage christians that there are several teachings that suggest that the essence of our christianity is to be wealthy but the essence is to grow and become like Christ and make ready for His return,

I may not buy the idea that getting to heaven is the only essence of Christianity. Lazarus went to heaven but lived a life of suffering on the earth .A man does not need to do anything to make heaven. If a man gives his heart to the lord today , if he dies , he goes to heaven.

Jesus died for us to Have a life of dominion over every works of Satan such as sin ,sickness , and poverty and death. and
A man cannot be so heavenly conscious and earthy useless. We need to teach the whole cousel of God.

The other vital things about our salvation is for us to grow in to him in all things and be filled with his fulness so as to display his virtue on the earth

Lastly we have also the responsibility of ministry. To one another by edifying the church and ministry to the world by telling them about the love of Jesus thereby bringing sinnners in to Gods kingdom. We have this as our primary call
Re: The Chase For Money By Christians by sbm4real(m): 7:42am On Oct 03, 2011
My brother, the essence of salvation is to enter into our inheritance which is the glory that awaits us at the appearance of Christ.1john 3:8 says the reason of Christ's coming is to destroy the works of satan, if you read verses before and after,it tells us clearly that the works of satan is sin,lawlessness and the likes, so Christ came to help us live righteously, so that we can be made ready, when Adam sinned, God began a plan to restore man back to his rightful place, Christ has done part 1 of that and He is coming to do part2 which is to restore man to his state as it was in the beginning and that will happen at the return of Christ when our bodies shall be glorified. Our preachers have made us think that we enter into our full inheritance here on earth but that is not true, the full inheritance is when Christ returns, 1Thess 1:9 helps us to see that we are saved to turn from our evil ways, serve God and wait for the return of Christ,

I'm definitely not against the fact that we should not be rich, healthy and all that, in all truth, I have been healed of a terminal disease and I live well above average with prospects of being mega rich, 1John 3:2-3 says that He who has this hope in himself purifies himself, that is the hope of Christ's second coming, A believer that belives in Christ's first coming and the material benefits but doesn't earnestly wait for the second coming will likely not walk fully in the Spirit because the focus is not on the return of Christ, the bible says that people will be lovers of money and self in the last days, and people go to church these days for prosperity and all that, the parables of Jesus about His coming and the servants/virgins that didn't make it simply reflects that some were waiting and some were not waiting, note that they are all servants of the master, they are all born again, so some wait and walk circumspectly and some don't wait earnestly and its easy to follow fleshly lusts, I ask that you read those scriptures and open your heart to the Spirit of God, we have been taught a lot otherwise and it takes the Spirit of God to lead us into all truth, shallom
Re: The Chase For Money By Christians by sbm4real(m): 7:46am On Oct 03, 2011
Apologies for typos,

(1) (Reply)

Pastors And Xtians Should Be Poor / Tb Joshua Said It. Chelsea We Will Champions League. / Jehovah Witnesses And Their No Blood Believe. Good Or Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.