Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,350 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan (469 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / PDP Warns Nigerians To Disregard Results On Social Media / Imo Journalist Lists Okorocha's Corrupt Practices & Court Disregard Since 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan by johnie: 5:45pm On Oct 02, 2011
Sunday, October 2, 2011  ⁠ ⁠

By Jethro Ibileke

October 2, 2011 03:15PM

Nigerians have been urged to place the Nigerian project ahead of partisan politics by giving President Goodluck Jonathan the much needed support and confidence he needs to enable him realize his developmental programmes for the good of the country.

Edo state governor, Adams Oshiomhole who made this plea noted that the severe criticism that trail President Jonathan's 100 days in office was uncalled for, just as he recalled that such criticisms were also the hallmark of his first hundred days in office as governor of Edo State.

Oshiomhole who spoke in an interview with newsmen after an interactive session with Canadian Labour Congress (CLC)'s Secretary General/Treasurer, Yusuff Hassan in Benin City, however urged President Jonathan not to despair with such criticisms.

He observed that the President belongs to one of those few political office holders that were elected on what can be described as a "per Nigeria mandate," where people voted across primordial and political sentiments.

"We do need to give him the confidence that we are with him and that he has the mandate to rule and should have the courage to make a different. That is what he need right now. I do not subscribe to those who think that because he hasn't solved all the problems in his 100 days that he hadn't started well.

"I think that given the diversity of the country and under the political environment he has to preside, he ought to be more sympathetic in our evaluations of the realities on grounds. I manage a state that is just one out of the thirty-six in the federation and in my first one year in office my thought was that I didn't even know what I was doing.

"But I needed time to do the thinking, to appreciate the issues, to sort out my priorities, organize my cash flow and the people to get started. But, today three years down the road people are beginning to appreciate that it is better to do the thinking before the action rather than the action before the thinking.

"I believe the president deserve more sympathy in terms of re-organizing and repositioning the system. The more support he has the greater confidence he is likely to feel to be able to make the kind of difficult decision that are necessary at that level to repositioning Nigeria," Oshiomhole stated.

In-spite of the barrages of criticism, the governor called on Jonathan not to give up on the systemic challenges confronting the country, especially security and infrastructure, employment, adding that every nation has one challenge or the other to grapple with.

Commenting on the security challenges that have tested the strength of all security agencies in Nigeria, Governor Oshiomhole noted that Nigeria is far safer than some other countries in the world.

Nonetheless, he added that in spite of the problems of poor infrastructure, insecurity, unemployment and other sectors of government, the unity of the country alone is worth celebrating.

It was however observed that the 51st Independence Anniversary celebration in Edo State was devoid of the usual funfairs, match pass parade by security operatives and students. Not even an official government statement to commemorate the independence celebration was made available to the press
Re: Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan by johnie: 5:47pm On Oct 02, 2011
Re: Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan by efisher(m): 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2011
Nice one Oshiomhole.
Re: Disregard Criticism, Oshiomhole Charges Jonathan by johnie: 7:00am On Oct 03, 2011
Yes.

If only people would not criticise just for the sake of criticising, what a better world this would be!

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti Youths Attack Police Station / "my Son Is Insane"-boko Haram Spokesman's Dad. / Uba Metropolitan Life Ltd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.