Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering (75064 Views)

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Babssoo(m): 5:01pm On Jul 06, 2023
terrymason:
LOL. How renewable energy career dey for that way. Like solar, wind etc
well I don’t really know bout that, but I know they value creativity and talent a lot.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Hassanmaye(m): 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

Things are really tough for most Nigerians in UK. Some of them that passed through the student route have to cough out several millions of naira to pay the school fees and will have to work extra hard to achieve this. You see them crying in the night that God please help me through.

Most goods and services have gone up times 5 in UK and with the recent increase in the interest rate over there it seems there won't be a breather yet.

On the flip side most Nigerians that migrated are doing it for their kids future and we hope things get better with time.
Nawoo so inflation is everywhere
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2023
adecz:

You earn comparatively better income
there, but you spend all the income on taxes,
tariffs and the comparatively higher cost
of living there...

Stalemate❗️❗️❗️

A friend in the UK needed her car checked.
She had to book an appointment with
her mechanic and paid a fee ( consultancy?)
of £150 ( roughly N150k).

On the appointed date, she went with
the car and after the maintenance, she
was charged £200 workmanship, making total of £350 or N450k ❗️❗️❗️😮😮😮

Almost half million for some basic check
and probably change of oil & filters, something
that will cost less than N30k in Nigeria.

Which 30k, 😀my dads mechanic will take 3500 for all these things and still thank him for doing him well

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Dear Sir, I have a relative that migrated to the UK in the past 1 year. Already employed, paying their own bills and sending money home to their parents. How many 24 year olds are achieving that in Nigeria right now?

I keep asking myself why people have to put out blatant LIES like this on a message board. You do realize that REAL PEOPLE travel to the UK and they can compare it with Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigeria

Don’t mind them . I have a brother in the UK packing snow and earns £3.5M per month. That’s £42M per year o. About 3.7 billion naira per year. Truth is Nigeria is a scam. Anyone that has the means to japa should do so

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by CodeTemplar: 5:20pm On Jul 06, 2023
Nahunger:

When are you coming back to Nigeria 🤠
So you can enjoy with us
Everything is free here, in fact we barely go out to work, there are free restaurants for daily 3 square meals, there is even a free spar, gym and free money shared here on daily basis.
You will love it here please come home 🥰
Not funny.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Felixv: 5:24pm On Jul 06, 2023
the UK still offers a great health system and it is not expensive. It's true the Uk is expensive but with good money management skills and 'not' living in London you should be fine

personally think of the positives

good schools
good health care
good career advancement
and a decent pension scheme

Not sure if Nigeria can match any of the above.

[/quote]

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by CodeTemplar: 5:25pm On Jul 06, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Even the devil himself knows this is a big fat lie wink
They have a choice here in Nigeria if they can afford it over there. They should please enjoy UK and stop making anyone sorry for their decision.

Those of us they left Nigeria in our hands will not abandon Nigeria so they can take their time to stay overseas and come back wherever they want. Wailing is not allowed o.
Check my signature for free stuffs!
Hateful creature. If these people turn the corner and start remitting €5000/year back home, they suddenly become good but because you are so obsessed with the idea of nothing ever painting your darling APC govt bad, you detest Nigerians running out of the country and feel you can pour out your hate on them without anyone noticing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by CodeTemplar: 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2023
Tadadobe:

Don’t mind them . I have a brother in the UK packing snow and earns £3.5M per month. That’s £42M per year o. About 3.7 billion naira per year. Truth is Nigeria is a scam. Anyone that has the means to japa should do so
except he runs a company doing it with machines I don't want to assume this is a manual snow packing job.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by CodeTemplar: 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2023
xtivin:

Should in case you know someone that gives you this information and ready to swap places let me know asap.
you struggle to ho over. UK does not owe Nigeria slots for immigrants so stop thinking about a swap.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by CodeTemplar: 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2023
IVORY2009:

When they are advised to stay in their countries and build it,they would refuse, their are better schools here private universities, Lagos Business School, and others why waste money, United kingdom is passing through tough times, after Brexit.
what's is the probability of being kidnapped by bandits for ransom.and killing the ransom deliverer in UK compared to Nigeria?
What the chance of an industry surviving a startup here and there?
Be honest and not bitter or emotional.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Elxandre(m): 5:32pm On Jul 06, 2023
Nahunger:

As in why I should skip Japan for USA or UK, when I can live in peace and earn a descent living too.
Learning Japanese is beans abi😂
The reason most Nigerians mostly go to Britain, Canada, USA is the language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 5:47pm On Jul 06, 2023
Tadadobe:

Easy!

£3.5m per month packing snow? Is he packing the snow of the whole UK

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 6:19pm On Jul 06, 2023
yusfaith78:
They way people just condemned UK makes me wonder if it’s the same UK that i’m living in they are talking about. Most students from Nigeria come to the UK having paid just a small portion of their tuition fee as deposit hoping to work and paying the balance while studying which is almost impossible. It is normal for people like that to struggle because I don’t know how somebody who’s on a student visa with 20hrs allowed work time wants to make money to pay tuition fee balance of £9000 within 9 months. But if you have paid your full tuition fee or 80%, I don’t see any reason why your life should not be better than it was when you are in Nigeria after graduation.

Again these are irrelevant details. No matter the country, there will be poor and rich. Inequality is a given.

The real question is, for the average person - where will they get better living standards, Lagos or London.....Nigeria or UK.....Calabar or Manchester? In which country are the FUTURE PROSPECTS better?

I know people living in the UK, both recent and long time residents. Relatives and secondary school mates, some of who went to UK with visiting visa and literally NOTHING but the clothes on their backs. I've visited there several times and stayed for weeks at a time, even a whole month. I've visited Nigeria also and I know how the MAJORITY of people live in each place.

All these tales by moonlight are very entertaining. It's very interesting to go back to threads like this from 2013 -

https://www.nairaland.com/1458034/want-come-america-really-know

Anyone - even rich people - who turned down a visa to USA and chose Nigeria after reading the garbage from that OP would surely be in regrets right now. Just on currency alone, naira has gone from maybe ₦‎200=1$ to ₦‎750=1$, that's just a gain on holding dollars and doing NOTHING.

Like a witty guy once said on this forum, no one ever lost money betting against Nigeria grin

Enjoy the Next Level !!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by RaptorX: 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2023
Tadadobe:

3 million pounds from packing snow lol, and what exactly does packing snow means.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by dejavus: 6:39pm On Jul 06, 2023
So much uninformed people in this thread.

I know people who arrived in the last 12 months that have had to exchange naira to Pounds to buy basics like milk bread and eggs to feed their family occasionally when there is no work.

Mostly do Amazon warehouse jobs, on their feet for 8 to 12 hours straight, Care work if they can manage to find one, remember 1000s have been admitted into the UK in the last 12 months on the tier 2 care work visa hence agency care work shifts aren't as available as before.

Life is tough even for long term residents cost of living crisis and aftereffect of Brexit is just kicking in.

Don't spend 10 million naira to japa, it's not worth it for a lot of people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by dominion001(m): 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2023
Germany remains the best place for Nigerians in Europe.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by teewhydope(m): 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2023
IbeOkehie:

How many? What percentage of your university classmates have jobs or businesses that afford them the world recognized middle class standard of living?

I've said this over and over, I've seen paychecks for Nigerian oil & gas field engineers....monthly paychecks from $30K up to $70K. So I'm not going to EVER tell you that there's no Nigerians living well in Nigeria. I think the more relevant issue is HOW MANY Nigerians live a middle class standard? Can you PLEASE give us a guess? It's not about YOU and ME, it's about the GENERAL state of things.

The stats are clear -

Less than 0.4% of Nigerians earn over ₦200K per month,
less than 7% of households have flush toilets,
no single Nigerian has LEGAL OWNERSHIP of any lands.
99% of bank accounts contain less than ₦500K,
unemployment is over 30%,
interest rates are over 25%
and on and on and on.

Middle class standard of living -

own a car or have access to clean efficient public transport - how many Nigerians have it?
Access to stable electricity supply - how many Nigerians have it?

The biggest university system in Nigeria shut down for almost one year, people queueing for petrol in the 6th largest exporter of crude oil?

Look, I have friends that have been restaurant cooks, taxi drivers and care workers for over 30 years and they own homes, ALL their teenage children drive their own cars and some of the kids have gone on to own their own homes in at age 25, 26. How many taxi drivers or cooks can do that in Nigeria?

Abeg carry that nonsense commot here. Nairaland, the home of Nigerian REMOTE WORKERS and billionaires, non of whom can give us their real name or job. We know, Nigeria favors you and your family....leave those in the UK to suffer in peace.

Carry go jor! Welcome to Next Level!

Dude grow up!!! You talk too much and really need help. I'm not here to discuss politics with you, so miss me with that "Carry go jor! Welcome to Next Level!" shit. I won't dispute the fact that there's a lot wrong with the country, but the people i relate with are mostly into tech and we are doing just okay. You sounded dumb when you quoted $30k to $70k, are we spending $$ in Nigeria? If the money is so easy to make over there, why do they have many homeless?? undecided Not everyone is frustrated like you think

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Advision: 7:01pm On Jul 06, 2023
jogojogo:
Is it that really bad and people are still going?
Why are they not returning home like the prodigal son did?

When someone who has probably never set foot out nigeria is admonishing people living in a country known as the poverty capital of the world that UKnis worse than Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:02pm On Jul 06, 2023
dejavus:

I know people who arrived in the last 12 months that have had to exchange naira to Pounds to buy basics like milk bread and eggs to feed their family occasionally when there is no work.

Mostly do Amazon warehouse jobs, on their feet for 8 to 12 hours straight, Care work if they can manage to find one, remember 1000s have been admitted into the UK in the last 12 months on the tier 2 care work visa hence agency care work shifts aren't as available as before.

Life is tough even for long term residents cost of living crisis and aftereffect of Brexit is just kicking in.

So should they stay in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by wayodude(m): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2023
Hahahaha

..... somewhere on this thread I can bet anything someone has said 'okay if you're suffering come back home let someone else take your place'. Funny home based Nigerians

Hahahaha 😂🤣

If you like goan japa without immediately transferrable skills and a mighty bank balance. The Kain suffer wen go gum you ehn, you go happy to go back naija be houseboy so far them no first know you for the area 😂😂

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Advision: 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

Things are really tough for most Nigerians in UK. Some of them that passed through the student route have to cough out several millions of naira to pay the school fees and will have to work extra hard to achieve this. You see them crying in the night that God please help me through.

Most goods and services have gone up times 5 in UK and with the recent increase in the interest rate over there it seems there won't be a breather yet.

On the flip side most Nigerians that migrated are doing it for their kids future and we hope things get better with time.

And you learnt all this from living somewhere in Nigeria?

An example if anything that doubled in price in the UK (not to talk of 5 times)? Bro fear God!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 7:07pm On Jul 06, 2023
wayodude:
Hahahaha

..... somewhere on this thread I can bet anything someone has said 'okay if you're suffering come back home let someone else take your place'. Funny home based Nigerians

Hahahaha 😂🤣

If you like goan japa without immediately transferrable skills and a mighty bank balance. The Kain suffer wen go gum you ehn, you go happy to go back naija be houseboy so far them no first know you for the area 😂😂

Nonsense. So my relative that just landed in UK and is already earning and sending money to Nigeria for the family in Nigeria is what? Not from Nigeria?

Nobody needs a "mighty bank balance" to survive and THRIVE in any Anglo-Western country. I've seen it with my own two eyes over DECADES. There's no perfect life anywhere, but for the VAST MAJORITY of Nigerians, over 99%, the UK will give them a better life in the long run. But Nigerians always look for get-rich-quick schemes so it always seems like a loss to them.

Good Luck with all that.

dejavus:

The ₦‎10 million naira is what, less than £10K, so it's VERY SMART to convert it to pounds as quickly as possible. By this time next year that ₦‎10 million may be worth £7K or less. Or maybe the APC will fulfill their promise of making the naira equal to the dollar.....BUT....nobody ever lost money betting against Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Treadway: 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2023
IbeOkehie:

How many? What percentage of your university classmates have jobs or businesses that afford them the world recognized middle class standard of living?

I've said this over and over, I've seen paychecks for Nigerian oil & gas field engineers....monthly paychecks from $30K up to $70K. So I'm not going to EVER tell you that there's no Nigerians living well in Nigeria. I think the more relevant issue is HOW MANY Nigerians live a middle class standard? Can you PLEASE give us a guess? It's not about YOU and ME, it's about the GENERAL state of things.

The stats are clear -

Less than 0.4% of Nigerians earn over ₦200K per month,
less than 7% of households have flush toilets,
no single Nigerian has LEGAL OWNERSHIP of any lands.
99% of bank accounts contain less than ₦500K,
unemployment is over 30%,
interest rates are over 25%
and on and on and on.

Middle class standard of living -

own a car or have access to clean efficient public transport - how many Nigerians have it?
Access to stable electricity supply - how many Nigerians have it?

The biggest university system in Nigeria shut down for almost one year, people queueing for petrol in the 6th largest exporter of crude oil?

Look, I have friends that have been restaurant cooks, taxi drivers and care workers for over 30 years and they own homes, ALL their teenage children drive their own cars and some of the kids have gone on to own their own homes in at age 25, 26. How many taxi drivers or cooks can do that in Nigeria?

Abeg carry that nonsense commot here. Nairaland, the home of Nigerian REMOTE WORKERS and billionaires, non of whom can give us their real name or job. We know, Nigeria favors you and your family....leave those in the UK to suffer in peace.

Carry go jor! Welcome to Next Level!

and there it is fellas. Don't start doing drugs, else you start being a deluded agbaya, pulling ridiculous stats out of his arse like this bros here. He must think everyone lives in one thick forest in the east like him kinsmen or that the whole naija be Northern naija. Na this same naija wey everybody get borehole/well to pump water 24/7 na im bros say no get flush toilet. I lived in Enugu for a year, no be everywhere be like east wey na water tanker Una dey use as source of water bros...lol.

He say less than 7% has flush toilet, I jus weak....no be small tin o.

This man is obviously obsessed with dick measuring contest whether it makes sense to or not. What is more pathetic is he does this dick measuring contests with younger people. I never see this kin tin before. 50/60 yr old doing dick measuring contest with 20/30 year old, he no go see successful people in his age range some with minimum 3 houses by the time they retire, amongst other assets. No o, na 30's he go dey do dick measuring contest with...even the 30's wey e dey do contest with, no be him dey feed them o. I no just understand. You say you are okay, one agbaya wey no know as e dey do am say you no dey alright based on him standard. 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

I sha know say with all your faux projected knowledge, stats and many decades in the most prosperous country on earth according to you, you still ain't worth a million dollars, making you a not so prime or qualified coach/authority on prosperity. It only reinforces that despite all the aforementioned that you allude to have, you're still as basic as they come. Lol

ALSO, my paternal and maternal grandparents house still dey. Governor never collect am as at today....lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2023
RaptorX:
3 million pounds from packing snow lol, and what exactly does packing snow means.

The way people lie is outrageous!

Same class are the ones deceiving people to sell assets and quit good paying jobs, and relocate, only to start changing diapers upon arrival.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Elidrisy20: 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2023
Oya make una come back to naija

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Rebuke: 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
please do.Experience is the best teacher and I wish you well.I have alot of close ones in the UK and I wish all of them to succeed though the stories I am getting from them is not palatable.

Lols. What part of of the UK do yhu have those yhur lots of close ones and how long have they been there oga?
Make I no just talk sha but some people are lazy and crazy, I bet.

Well, na yhur so called close ones know wetin dem dey do there o.

Just know that there's nothing anyone here will tell me about UK that I don't know. Tell yhur close ones over there to stop being lazy......people dey make am there big time. Bye!
🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by wayodude(m): 7:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Nobody needs a "mighty bank balance" to survive and THRIVE in any Anglo-Western country. I've seen it with my own two eyes over DECADES. There's no perfect life anywhere, but for the VAST MAJORITY of Nigerians, over 99%, the UK will give them a better life in the long run. But Nigerians always look for get-rich-quick schemes so it always seems like a loss to them.

Good Luck with all that.

Nonsense. So my relative that just landed in UK and is already earning and sending money to Nigeria for the family in Nigeria is what? Not from Nigeria?

The ₦‎10 million naira is what, less than £10K, so it's VERY SMART to convert it to pounds as quickly as possible. By this time next year that ₦‎10 million may be worth £7K or less. Or maybe the APC will fulfill their promise of making the naira equal to the dollar.....BUT....nobody ever lost money betting against Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

Did you see the part of my original post that mentioned immediately transferrable skills?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2023
Treadway:
and there it is fellas. Don't start doing drugs, else you start being a deluded agbaya, pulling ridiculous stats out of his arse like this bros here. He must think everyone lives in one thick forest in the east like him kinsmen or that the whole naija be Northern naija. Na this same naija wey everybody get borehole/well to pump water 24/7 na im bros say no get flush toilet. I lived in Enugu for a year, no be everywhere be like east wey na water tanker Una dey use as source of water bros...lol.

He say less than 7% has flush toilet, I jus weak....no be small tin o.

This man is obviously obsessed with dick measuring contest whether it makes sense to or not. What is more pathetic is he does this dick measuring contests with younger people. I never see this kin tin before. 50/60 yr old doing dick measuring contest with 20/30 year old, he no go see successful people in his age range some with minimum 3 houses by the time they retire, amongst other assets. No o, na 30's he go dey do dick measuring contest with...even the 30's wey e dey do contest with, no be him dey feed them o. I no just understand. You say you are okay, one agbaya wey no know as e dey do am say you no dey alright based on him standard. 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

I sha know say with all your faux projected knowledge, stats and many decades in the most prosperous country on earth according to you, you still ain't worth a million dollars, making you a not so prime or qualified coach/authority on prosperity. It only reinforces that despite all the aforementioned that you allude to have, you're still as basic as they come. Lol

ALSO, my paternal and maternal grandparents house still dey. Governor never collect am as at today....lol

You really hate japa so much o. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Treadway: 7:58pm On Jul 06, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You really hate japa so much o. cheesy grin
quit with that. It is getting stale bro. I don't hate japa. That I don't want to japa for reasons best known to me doesn't mean I hate japa.

What I hate is that guy consistently selling the narrative that everyone here is doomed or don't even have mobile phones..na small remain he go still say na 97% of Nigerians no even get color tv...he dey craze? Who him dey feed for here? If he dey feed him whole village, na dem hopeless na, no be everybody dey hopeless dey wait cap in hand for broda in the US...and he no dey even feed him village sef, so...

30 years o'er there with all him English he never fit tie this small geh shoe, and he go dey do silly gra gra like say he be one topshot...abegi

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Olufemiolaolu(m): 8:04pm On Jul 06, 2023
Their suffering can't be worse than what Nigerians are facing currently.Uk is still far better than Nigeria anytime any day. It's well

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 8:48pm On Jul 06, 2023
wayodude:

Did you see the part of my original post that mentioned immediately transferrable skills?

Neither do you need any immediately transferable skills or any skills at all. I've written at length on this subject too. In the USA today, many Nigerians who arrived without immigrant visas or any skills have found good lower level jobs where they can start their journey to the middle class. I've seen this happen over and over for MANY NIGERIANS in a period of over 30 years.

I write from experience. Being that the UK & US are essentially the same country, I'm sure it can't be much different over there in the UK. One other thing - conditions tend to get BETTER over time in Anglo-West nations, while they generally stagnate or get worse in Africa. That's the truth, just do a review of JAPA threads on this forum since 2007, 2003 and compare to now.

99.9% of Nigerians, rich or poor, will have better lives in the Anglo-West and would be best advised to migrate IF THEY CAN GET THE CHANCE.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by steadyMoving22: 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2023
Can you leave UK alone pls na

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Who Said Lagos Is Not Beautiful? (Pictures) / Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja / See The Road I Saw In Orlu Imo State Today - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.