Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,820 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:57 PM

Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (29638 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by OneNaira6: 12:24am On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^^^^Are Yoruba women the only women bashed?  Case in point: <<https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-584180.0.html>> and this is not the only one just type in Igbo women and you'll see thread about Igbo women are muscular, hairy, bleachers, money-hungry, ashawo, etc.  
Another case in point: << https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-475317.0.html>> Yoruba attacked themselves first which, I'm unsure why, resulted to a Yoruba girl attacking Igbo women and as retaliation Igbo attacking Yoruba.   Both groups are guilty of the exact same offense, you are just seeing things one-sided.

Ybutterfly:

"If you are going to use a source then read the source first before using that said source. 
The first source was  comparing culture and customs and has nothing to do with mixture
The second source was an igbo girl disagreeing with what her teacher said.  She disagreed with mixing.
The last source was just a random girl ranting. 
These are source to you?  I wonder what school you attend."

^^^^^^^^I did read the sources mr. know it all
The first source mentioned how igbo's are decendants of jews, go back and read the first paragraph or sentence
the second source is about what the teacher said not what she felt was right or not agreeing with him because I agree with the teacher
the last source is also igbo and random like you are, so you are no better then what she has to say

^^^^^^^^^so I wonder what school you went to, after reading what the third sources said: "As for the Igbos, they are orphans! They have nobody except, may-be, God in heaven and again may be their Jewish blood!"

The first source, despite mentioning the descendants of Jews belief, focused on just culture and custom similarities.  You can't use a mention to prove a broad statement that is red-herring even the OP of the article should have been ridiculed by Nigerian Media for it.  For those that an unaware Judaism is a religion, an Asian can be a Jew, A Native American can be a Jew, and an African-American can be a Jew similar to how an Igbo can be a Jew.  It has nothing to do with someone gene.  It similar to how an African can be a Muslim without having any genetic link with Middle East despite the ignorance many spew about it case in point:  Hausa, Muslim Yoruba, Fulani excluding Woodabe, Somalis, and Djibouti etc. all are Muslims with no genetic link to middle easterners
In the second source the OP said her teacher did not provide her any proof to support his views.  
In the third source, just like the OP, I am random person but what I'm saying is what vast majority of Igbo and other igbo's say.  She's speaking for herself but at the same time dragging and disregarding all other random Igbo opinions which makes her irrelevant.  

Igbo are not orphans.  I can see you are still in your attack mode and I’m not about to engage on a senseless argument so I’m leaving that there.

I neglected to mention this in this thread but I am sure I've told you this before, the variation found with Igbs are found in any other SE and SS ethnic groups in Nigeria be it Ibibio, Annang, Efik, Ijo, Calabar, Some Edo, Yamba, and to an extent ethnic groups in Cameroon.  Africa is a diverse continent for a reason; it is after all the mother of all humans.  The variation is a product of Environmental adaptation and it stayed that way because the ethnic groups mentioned above are constantly mixing with eachother

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by bisiaet: 11:19am On Oct 05, 2011
Oh heaven please guys enough of this it always boils me up when people talk and say Igbo are Jewish f u c k such nonsense. My parent are from East and am a full eastern guy but was born and grow in the west anyway if any Igbo man claim he is a JEW fine but i'm not a JEW i'm an Igbo.

To be frank when I first learnt about this craps JEWS of a thing long ago I just told a fellow friend that this is a pure nonsense, it just shows we Igbo dont even know where we came from at all what a rubbish talk claiming THAT someone in europe or an historian, or blabla siad Igbo are JEWS is this not a total lost of identity?

I had asked this question time without number even from my own parent that please where is the origin of Igbo? Because everyone know how Yoruba came to be, we all read it on history and they stood by it and maintain the link till today, so also the Hausa but when it come to Igbo then you will be hearing "Oh we are from Jew", "Oh where from this we are from that", please guys if you know the true origin of Igbo please let us know it and stop the rants of rubbish of one man said or one man wrote or one man find out Igbo are jews its nonsense and embarrassing as if we have no origin it so painful and we are that same people who love to abuse and name calling other tribes please lets check ourselves.

I'm so worry and I want to know that is why i'm asking. It really annoys me when a guy in the house said an european man said and find out that Igbo are JEWS sorry is it a f u c k i n g european man that suppose to tell us where we came from? This really pissed me off totally. My words may be too bitter but a right minded person would know its absolute truth because i'm involve as well. God bless.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by hbrednic: 11:20am On Oct 05, 2011
R-U-B-B-I-S-H
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 12:28pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^@bisiaet, I just go by what I hear not only sources but by some igbo people around me that have claimed Jewish blood/ancestry & that the tribe comes from there or partially I guess but I understand your views, thanks for the honesty
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by ChineduNlem(m): 2:50pm On Oct 05, 2011
Is this worth it? In this forum ethnic bigots make up their minds on certain issues then come here and pretend they're asking it like a question. All they really want is concurrence from fellow bigots. I've long transcended bigotry or i would have come here to ask "did the fulani mix with the yoruba in ilorin?" methinks the operators should set up the bigots section. Silly post.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 3:05pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^^^with all the insultive threads against Yoruba's & people claiming that the only Yoruba females that are pretty because they are mixed with igbo and other tribes or races and many non-Yoruba agree(when it isn't true), I feel it is worth it to ask this question, especially when some igbo's claim having Jewish blood in them. So I ask if it's true, all my sources are from igbo and a Jewish man from Isreal, so take it up with them
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by EzeCanada: 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2011
The link below says it all

http://igbofriendsofisrael.com
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by morpheus24: 3:10pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^with all the insultive threads against Yoruba's & people claiming that the only Yoruba females that are pretty because they are mixed with igbo and other tribes or races and many non-Yoruba agree(when it isn't true), I feel it is worth it to ask this question, especially when some igbo's claim having Jewish blood in them. So I ask if it's true, all my sources are from igbo and a Jewish man from Isreal, so take it up with them

What has beauty got to do with Igbo's being mixed with anything. You need to grow up you know!
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^^^it does when many igbo's claim that other non-igbo tribes are beautiful because they have igbo blood and etc in them to be beautiful but when it's igbo beauty it's comes purely for them without a mix, and I think it is hypocritical thinking as far as I am concerned. So I feel if others have been put on the spot by some igbo's on this forum then why not ask them that same question back, especially on what some of them claim to have which is the jewish connection
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by pleep(m): 4:59pm On Oct 05, 2011
haha, now i see what this is all about. You think igbo women are more beautiful than you?

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by tpia5: 5:01pm On Oct 05, 2011
The thread should have unknown in its title.

ie unknown mixed ancestry.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by tpia5: 5:04pm On Oct 05, 2011
Or maybe unacknowledged mixture.

Eg from our tuareg brethren to the north or maybe some araboids from central africa.

Just theorizing here.

Dont know why we always like to assume whites do everything all the time.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by abagoro(m): 5:30pm On Oct 05, 2011
I get pissed at our lack of focus as Igbos.I grew up with stories that my people migrated from Benin only to do further investigation and found out that some people crossed over the Niger from Aboh and Ukwuani who are Igbos to settle by the lake and later Aros,Isuamas,Awka and other Igbos joined them.

Igbos simply seem to have lived around the Nigeria/Cameroun border and later moved down with Yorubas,Edos and Igalas to the Niger-Benue confluence.We are the same people with Yoruba and Edo.The major reason for our deviation is a later mix of Bantu from Cross River.The light skin you find amongst Igbo is the same with Efik/Ibibio.Infact Igbo and Efik/Ibibio are almost 100% similar in physique.

Just like Ikwerres crafted very illogical Benin ancestry,so have I noticed Nri's claim of Jewish ancestry.If we follow this trend,then we will end up having no Igbo origin as all Igbos are either Benin,Jewish or Cross River origin.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by dublinkmy6: 5:40pm On Oct 05, 2011
please ooo! wat i all this jealousy towards igbos that i perceive on NL all the time?
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by deadie(m): 5:49pm On Oct 05, 2011
Why does the word "IGBO" give non-Igbos so much erektion? We are not descendant of Jews, we are not descendants of Whites, we are Igbos, and we are PROUD of it. End of discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by morpheus24: 6:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
abagoro:

I get pissed at our lack of focus as Igbos.I grew up with stories that my people migrated from Benin only to do further investigation and found out that some people crossed over the Niger from Aboh and Ukwuani who are Igbos to settle by the lake and later Aros,Isuamas,Awka and other Igbos joined them.

Igbos simply seem to have lived around the Nigeria/Cameroun border and later moved down with Yorubas,Edos and Igalas to the Niger-Benue confluence.We are the same people with Yoruba and Edo.The major reason for our deviation is a later mix of Bantu from Cross River.The light skin you find amongst Igbo is the same with Efik/Ibibio.Infact Igbo and Efik/Ibibio are almost 100% similar in physique.

Just like Ikwerres crafted very illogical Benin ancestry,so have I noticed Nri's claim of Jewish ancestry.If we follow this trend,then we will end up having no Igbo origin as all Igbos are either Benin,Jewish or Cross River origin.
Your analysis is consistent with Syntax-lexicon-linguistic similarities that exist across Yoruba, Igbo, Efik  and Igala languages which normally group under Kwa speakers. it is possible the Igbo are an early proto-bantu group that migrated West in waves before other bantu groups followed.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 7:12pm On Oct 05, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^@pleep, NO but when a yoruba women is pretty don't make up crap that she has to be mixed with igbo in order to be pretty but don't claim mixure with your igbo women when they are pretty. If you don't want people calling you mixed then don't claim that other tribes are mixed, especially when there is a positive in them in them and claim its because they have igbo blood

You guys got a taste of your own medicine, especially on the jewish connection you guys actually claim
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by morpheus24: 7:29pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^@pleep, NO but when a yoruba women is pretty don't make up crap that she has to be mixed with igbo in order to be pretty but don't claim mixure with your igbo women when they are pretty. If you don't want people calling you mixed then don't claim that other tribes are mixed, especially when there is a positive in them in them and claim its because they have igbo blood

You guys got a taste of your own medicine, especially on the jewish connection you guys actually claim

BLACKED MIXED WITH BLACK = MIXED BLACK.

Na wa o!
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by sheyguy: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2011
I dont b-bilieve all dose shit, i heard they used 2 practise cannibalism and they preffered the dark skinned pple 2 d lighter ones which made the light skinned ones migrate towards other tribes like ijaw/present day delta state, eleme and
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by htajz: 8:24pm On Oct 05, 2011
sheyguy:

I dont b-bilieve all dose poo, i heard they used 2 practise cannibalism and they preffered the dark skinned pple 2 d lighter ones which made the light skinned ones migrate towards other tribes like ijaw/present day delta state, eleme and
dont ever involve ijaws in such discussions again, baboon you dont even understand ethnic make up of niger delta yet you are using it as your slogan , who are you trying to deceive ,typical yoruba tout.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by amor4ce(m): 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2011
I have doubted that the Igbos are descendants of Jacob.
Do they dobale (prostrate/fall on their face) as a sign of respect unlike the Yoruba who some Igbo mocked for doing so? If you check the Bible you would notice that dobale is well integrated within the Hebrew tradition, including showing respect to the Kings, dignitaries, and during worship. There has been the stereotype that respect for elders is alien to the Igbo.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by anonymous6(f): 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ybutterfly:

when it comes to the Jewish and Igbo lineage theory, well I have heard about it but I never really looked into the theory or background of it. However when it comes to the Yoruba bashing threads you mentioned, it's true there are many of them, particularly with the women, but in the end of the day retaliation isn't worth it a times
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Gozzzy(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2011
all of una dey kolo!! The simple fact be say,we wey be Ndigbo, dey unique! Screw d shit about jewish, white or even red ancestory!,

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by gabbytabby: 10:50pm On Oct 05, 2011
Na the white religious fathers. Why do you think they call them father. Lol May God forgive person oh.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by igboboy1(m): 11:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
Yea igbos have mixed ancestry just as Yorubas are black arabs, That is why islam is so prominent in yorubaland undecided
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by OneNaira6: 6:07am On Oct 06, 2011
morpheus24:

What has beauty got to do with Igbo's being mixed with anything. You need to grow up you know!

She really should. It's pathetic!

Ybutterfly:

Pleep is not Igbo. see yet again you are seeing things one-sided, Na only Igbo here?
you  lipsrsealed

morpheus24:

BLACKED MIXED WITH BLACK = MIXED BLACK.

Na wa o!

grin grin grin grin

pleep:

haha, now i see what this is all about. You think igbo women are more beautiful than you?

The best analysis. Who knew?
I think it has more to do with lightskin; her thread for the past week is about biracial and interracial relationship.

ybutterfly,  go marry white and stop disturbing us jare.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by ben10i: 10:18am On Oct 06, 2011
If we are to engage in a topic like this then we need to do extensive research and go as far back as the origin of man.I believe that climatic factors, feeding and genes have to be considered here.I don't really know about Ibos but the African tribe that i do know of with Jewish ancestry are a part of Ethiopians.History? well according to history, the Queen of Sheba had bore a child for Solomon (the player), king of Israel, after her visit to Israel and Ethiopian Jews originate from this pedigree (The last emperor of Ethiopia, Gabriel Hailey Silasi aka "Jah" -by the Jamaicans- stemmed from this lineage)

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^yeah Ethiopians have Jewish ancestry due to queen of Sheeba and all
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by kpolli(m): 12:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
See igbo ppl deceiving themselves like Uncle Rukus in Boondocks. . .
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2011
heres a pic and a video of an Igbo War Dance.

do you seriously THINK the Jews would have done this, dancing with 3 human skulls ontheir head undecided

you people are so stupid. tongue

P.S. it is a beautiful video of prechristian Igbo culture. A MUST watch for even non-Ibo peoples. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJd1nrOZtEA&feature=related

1 Like

Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by pleep(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

heres a pic and a video of an Igbo War Dance.

do you seriously THINK the Jews would have done this, dancing with 3 human skulls ontheir head undecided

P.S. it is a beautiful video of prechristian Igbo culture. A MUST watch for even non-Ibo peoples.

What is so beautiful about dancing with human skulls on your head? This is why people have such a negative veiw of paganism.

Ybutterfly:

If feel you. But keep in mind that Ibgo and Yoruba are relativly similar groups, and both black. As Morpheus said it really doesn't mean anything to be mixed between two similar tribes.
and i'm not igbo
tpia@:

Or maybe unacknowledged mixture.

Eg from our tuareg brethren to the north or maybe some araboids from central africa.

Just theorizing here.

Dont know why we always like to assume whites do everything all the time.

Anyway some of you guys think your mixed, so maybe you should work on fixing them.
Re: Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry by Ybutterfly: 5:16pm On Oct 06, 2011
^^^^^^^ok fair enough, and it's true some of them think they are mixed so they should work on that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ateke Tom Crowned King Amayanabo Of Okochiri In Okirika, Rivers (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo And His Oloris Storm Maiduguri (Photos) / The White Manz' Perception Of Black Beauty Is Different From The Black Manz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.