Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,283 members, 7,849,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:34 PM

Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? (2775 Views)

See How Voters Turned Out To Vote At Michael Okpara Umudike, Abia State / Ikpeazu Inspects Newly Renovated Michael Okpara Auditorium, Umuahia (Photos) / Omoyele Sowore Visits Adamma Okpara, Michael Okpara's Wife In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 3:12pm On Jul 04, 2023
maintenant:
You are completely divorced from reality...

Southern Cameroon elected to join the Cameroon with the supposition that the articles of the memorandum of the merger which would allow them to be independent would be honoured...

Do some reading and research and stop making noises on a subject on which you have no clue...

Ask yourself why did they opt out of Nigeria in 1961?
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by maintenant: 3:28pm On Jul 04, 2023
AwkaFinest:

Ask yourself why did they opt out of Nigeria in 1961?
You cannot read or what?

They wanted to be independent as a separate country and they believed the agreement they had with Cameroon would guarantee them that instead of joining Nigeria where secession clause does not exist...
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 3:38pm On Jul 04, 2023
maintenant:
You cannot read or what?

They wanted to be independent as a separate country and they believed the agreement they had with Cameroon would guarantee them that instead of joining Nigeria where secession clause does not exist...

They never wanted to be a separate country. Stop the lies and the twisted history. The British never gave them the option of becoming an independent nation, rather the option was either to join Nigeria or join La Republique du Cameroon.

After Nigeria's independence in 1960, Enugu remained the capital of Eastern Nigeria which British Cameroon was a part of. Before independence the British Cameroonians held meaningful positions in the parliament of Eastern Nigeria, but after Nigeria's independence, these people were made to be mere floor members. This angered the people, which led to their yarning to be free from Igbo dominance.

Then the British stepped in and gave them an offer. Letting them know that they are too small, with limited resources as at then to be a country.
It's either they join Nigeria fully or opt for La Republique du Cameroon.
They opted for the later, because they needed to run away from Igbo dominance.
The northern part opted to join Nigeria because they felt Northern Nigerians treated them better than La Republique du Cameroon.

Go and educate yourself on Cameroon plebiscite of 1959 &1961, and The Foumban Conference.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by Rolings: 6:11pm On Jul 04, 2023
maintenant:
You are not making sense...

Are we talking reality or the figment of your warped imagination?

Ask any elder from the northern minority and they will tell you how they were completely subjugated by the Hausa-Fulani hegemony from 1957 till the end of the First Republic...

You cannot travel and you cannot read: Shouldnt you be pitied?

You really deserve my pity because obviously you don't know what you are saying.

1957 till the end of first republic (1966) isnt the length of time minorities in the north were under subjugation......the subjugation stated at the end of usman Dan fodio jihad.

Olodo like you wanna form knowledgeable
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by OVB123: 7:02pm On Jul 04, 2023
MrColdsweat:
Awolow stole the resources of the people of Edo and delta state to develop ibadan. Till today, there's no block of classroom or project in awolowo's name in Edo state or Delta state. No wonder 98 percent of the people of delta and edo state voted to leave the western region. The yarribas also stoned the people of Edo and delta while leaving the western region.

We know the true bigot and tribalists.
Well said my bro. He (awolowo) was a bigot.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by maintenant: 3:09pm On Jul 05, 2023
Rolings:

You really deserve my pity because obviously you don't know what you are saying.

1957 till the end of first republic (1966) isnt the length of time minorities in the north were under subjugation......the subjugation stated at the end of usman Dan fodio jihad.

Olodo like you wanna form knowledgeable
You dont expect me to continue to honour your verbiage with further response, do you?
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by maintenant: 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2023
AwkaFinest:

They never wanted to be a separate country. Stop the lies and the twisted history. The British never gave them the option of becoming an independent nation, rather the option was either to join Nigeria or join La Republique du Cameroon.

After Nigeria's independence in 1960, Enugu remained the capital of Eastern Nigeria which British Cameroon was a part of. Before independence the British Cameroonians held meaningful positions in the parliament of Eastern Nigeria, but after Nigeria's independence, these people were made to be mere floor members. This angered the people, which led to their yarning to be free from Igbo dominance.

Then the British stepped in and gave them an offer. Letting them know that they are too small, with limited resources as at then to be a country.
It's either they join Nigeria fully or opt for La Republique du Cameroon.
They opted for the later, because they needed to run away from Igbo dominance.
The northern part opted to join Nigeria because they felt Northern Nigerians treated them better than La Republique du Cameroon.

Go and educate yourself on Cameroon plebiscite of 1959 &1961, and The Foumban Conference.
The trash you typing here has no basis in reality but is rather a figment of your warped imagination.

Go and read accounts by Anglophone leaders in the current Ambazonia crisis and get your lazy self up to speed instead of spreading defeatist fairy tales...

The South Cameroun wanted full independence but were vetoed at the UN by Great Britain.

Their leaders were shopping for a better alternative and decided to enter into a quasi-confederal union with the Republic of Cameroun with a secession clause for full independence after some years.

The decision of Paul Biya to unilaterally change the constitution to a unitary one is at the root of the crisis...

I deal with facts and not beer parlour gossips...
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 3:29pm On Jul 05, 2023
maintenant:
The trash you typing here has no basis in reality but is rather a figment of your warped imagination.

Go and read accounts by Anglophone leaders in the current Ambazonia crisis and get your lazy self up to speed instead of spreading defeatist fairy tales...

The South Cameroun wanted full independence but were vetoed at the UN by Great Britain.

Their leaders were shopping for a better alternative and decided to enter into a quasi-confederal union with the Republic of Cameroun with a secession clause for full independence after some years.

The decision of Paul Biya to unilaterally change the constitution to a unitary one is at the root of the crisis...

I deal with facts and not beer parlour gossips...

A United Nations referendum was held in British Cameroons on 11 February 1961 to determine whether the territory should join neighbouring Cameroon or Nigeria. This followed an earlier plebiscite in Northern Cameroons in 1959 which voted to postpone a decision. The option of full independence was not on the ballot, having been opposed by Andrew Cohen, the UK representative to the UN Trusteeship Council, as well as African and anti-colonial delegations, notably by E. M. L. Endeley, who favoured independence by joining Nigeria, and John Ngu Foncha, who favoured independence by joining Francophone Cameroon.

So the 2 great men from Cameroon who supported joining Nigeria or Cameroon respectively are not Cameroonians.
I believe just like Ipob follow whatever crap NMK say, you believe everything Ambozonia warlords say.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 05, 2023
AwkaFinest:

First of all I'm more Igbo than you are.

The deeds of Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello in their regions of control are well gazetted. I'm not here to spoon feed you, rather I'm here to burst the lies from empty chest beating fellows like you and the OP.

Calabar was a bigger city as at then than Port Harcourt which was only formed around 1912. So what stopped M. Okpara from doing these things in Calabar?

No, he only focused on Enugu which of course was the capital and located deep in Igboland. Then Port Harcourt which was growing at that time, also boosted by the discovery of crude oil in Oloibiri, with it's sea port already built by the British.
So M. Okpara had no choice but to focus on Port Harcourt too, because it's under Owerri Province and as at this time the natives have been fully subdued by Igbos. So to him he's expanding Igboland.

Ask yourself why will an average Ikwerre detest being called Igbo?
Why will an Etche man, even an Omuma man detest being called Igbo?
Why will an Ogba man detest being called Igbo?
Why don't Ogba people sell lands to Igbos?
Why are we Igbos naturally careful around Ijaws?
Why did Ojukwu immediately arrested Adaka Borro?
Why don't you see threads on nairaland by people from Bayelsa & Rivers, Akwa Ibom & Cross River attaching themselves to the SE?
Why is it only we Igbos opening threads on a daily basis to force a relationship that the other party is not showing any interest in?

When did we Igbos become this weak?

You're not far from the truth.

Our ancestors harbored a lot of ills towards the Igbos over the very reasons you detailed here. Even if Nigeria is to be balkanized through a referendum today, 95percent of South South indigenes will rather want an independent region than be annexed under the same regional settings with the Igbos.

That we exist in peace today is because we know chaos would be detrimental to whatever small strides of growth we're trying to make.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by maintenant: 3:42pm On Jul 05, 2023
AwkaFinest:

A United Nations referendum was held in British Cameroons on 11 February 1961 to determine whether the territory should join neighbouring Cameroon or Nigeria. This followed an earlier plebiscite in Northern Cameroons in 1959 which voted to postpone a decision. The option of full independence was not on the ballot, having been opposed by Andrew Cohen, the UK representative to the UN Trusteeship Council, as well as African and anti-colonial delegations, notably by E. M. L. Endeley, who favoured independence by joining Nigeria, and John Ngu Foncha, who favoured independence by joining Francophone Cameroon.

So the 2 great men from Cameroon who supported joining Nigeria or Cameroon respectively are not Cameroonians.
I believe just like Ipob, you believe everything Ambozonia warlords say
Stop talking what you have no clue...

The British Cameroun issue was resolved via a UN-supervised referendum. The enclave was angling for independence but the desire was vetoed by the British at the UN General Assembly leading to the referendum.

If independence were not on the cards, why is Ambazonia people angling for separation and independence now with countries like the US and UK asking that all parties should go back to the original agreement.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2023
maintenant:
Stop talking what you have no clue...

The British Cameroun issue was resolved via a UN-supervised referendum. The enclave was angling for independence but the desire was vetoed by the British at the UN General Assembly leading to the referendum.

If independence were not on the cards, why is Ambazonia people angling for separation and independence now with countries like the US and UK asking that all parties should go back to the original agreement.

I'm not here to discuss Ambozonia struggle(whatever they agreed with La Republique is not my business). I'm here to let you know that 1 of the major reasons why they opted out of Nigeria was the inhumane treatment they got from the Igbos, especially after October 1, 1960.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2023
Buddha3:

You're not far from the truth.

Our ancestors harbored a lot of ills towards the Igbos over the very reasons you detailed here. Even if Nigeria is to be balkanized through a referendum today, 95percent of South South indigenes will rather want an independent region than be annexed under the same regional settings with the Igbos.

That we exist in peace today is because we know chaos would be detrimental to whatever small strides of growth we're trying to make.

Fact!
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by maintenant: 4:26pm On Jul 05, 2023
AwkaFinest:

I'm not here to discuss Ambozonia struggle. I'm here to let you know that 1 of the major reasons why they opted out of Nigeria was the inhumane treatment they got from the Igbos, especially after October 1st, 1960.
I have no more time for simple-minded elements like you...

May we get a documentary prove of your silly assertions?

It is clear that you have no interest in intellectual engagement but the furtherance of your petty tribalism.

The Southern Cameroun was a UN/British mandate and when it was time to settle their question, they decided to chose the option that will guarantee their independence in the future.

You cannot be interest in the connecting the dots to the Ambazonia struggle because you have no interest in facts and truth but only inclined to pursue a sinister objective...

Now get out and stay out!
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 5:15pm On Jul 05, 2023
maintenant:
I have no more time for simple-minded elements like you...

May we get a documentary prove of your silly assertions?

It is clear that you have no interest in intellectual engagement but the furtherance of your petty tribalism.

The Southern Cameroun was a UN/British mandate and when it was time to settle their question, they decided to chose the option that will guarantee their independence in the future.

You cannot be interest in the connecting the dots to the Ambazonia struggle because you have no interest in facts and truth but only inclined to pursue a sinister objective...

Now get out and stay out!t

You can continue with the insults, but light will always win over darkness.

"Following the Ibadan General Conference of 1950, a new constitution for Nigeria devolved more power to the regions. In the subsequent election thirteen Southern Cameroonian representatives were elected to the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly in Enugu. In 1953, however, the Southern Cameroons representatives, unhappy with the domineering attitude of Nigerian politicians and lack of unity among the ethnic groups in the Eastern Region, declared a "benevolent neutrality" and withdrew from the assembly."

Keep lying to yourself.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by OmekaguGCFR1: 1:48pm On Jul 12, 2023
AwkaFinest:

I'm not here to discuss Ambozonia struggle(whatever they agreed with La Republique is not my business). I'm here to let you know that 1 of the major reasons why they opted out of Nigeria was the inhumane treatment they got from the Igbos, especially after October 1, 1960.
yoruba man stop derailing this thread we have busted your forefather propaganda
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by AwkaFinest: 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2023
OmekaguGCFR1:

I can see you are empty upstairs.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by Jogs1900: 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2023
OmekaguGCFR1:
Do you know Obafemi Awolowo built the Nigeria embassy in the uk popularly know as Nigeria house where Nigeria still use till date.
Re: Did You Know Michael Okpara Built Obudu Ranch, Presidential Hotel PH, Etc? by OmekaguGCFR1: 9:55pm On Jul 12, 2023
AwkaFinest:

I can see you are empty upstairs.
omo yoruba don't be ashamed of your heritage even if it a curse tribe

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apart From The Southwest, Where Else Is Tinubu’s Support Base? / Dear Reno Omokri, Where Can I Collect My $10k / OBJ May Die In Prison —prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.