Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid (41025 Views)

JAPA: No More Leave Of Absence For Health Workers Relocating Abroad – FG / 700 Canadian Doctors Protest: We Are Paid Too Much. Attached Image / World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Drguzzykola(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2023
Penboy:

If you have money to fund USMLE, the go for it.

Most of Drs just want to use the PLAB route to escape and then restrategize.

Money aside, I think the exam is tough compared to PLAB too.. scaring many away.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by okuta007: 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2023
ShaqFu:
This is news.

life is NOT all about money… family, friends, life generally matters - your people matters

2 Likes

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by NAC1666: 9:18pm On Jul 12, 2023
PublicHealthNig:
By 2030, the World Health Organization (WHO) predicts a significant deficit of approximately 10 million healthcare workers, predominantly affecting low- and lower-middle-income nations. Some countries suffer from chronic underinvestment in the education and training of healthcare professionals, leading to ongoing shortages. Additionally, there is often a disconnect between education and employment strategies concerning healthcare systems and the actual needs of the population. This mismatch further contributes to the scarcity of healthcare workers.

According to a study published in the British Medical Journal there was a shortage of 15 million health workers as at 2020. Compounding the issue is the difficulty in deploying healthcare professionals to rural, remote, and underserved regions. These areas face additional obstacles in attracting and retaining skilled healthcare workers. The situation may vary across different regions and countries, and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare systems has further exacerbated the shortage.

In the last few years, the escalating international migration of healthcare workers from developing countries has worsened the shortage, especially in low- and lower-middle-income countries. Poor working conditions and low wages and insecurity have forced many health workers to seek out greener pastures in countries where the doctor and health worker welfare is prioritized. In this article, we bring the list of top countries where health workers migrate to and how much they are paid.

Top Countries Doctors and Health Workers Migrate To and How Much They Are Paid 

The migration of health workers is a worldwide phenomenon that has significant implications for both countries of origin and destinations. This article sheds light on the top countries where health workers migrate to and provides insights into their compensation packages. Discover the hotspots for healthcare professionals and the remuneration they receive in these sought-after destinations.

United States: The United States consistently ranks as one of the most popular destinations for health workers seeking new opportunities. The country offers competitive salaries, with physicians earning an average of $313,000 per year, while registered nurses can expect to make around $75,000 annually. These attractive wages, combined with advanced healthcare facilities, make the US a top choice for professionals in the medical field. States in America are enacting laws to allow foreign health workers including doctors to bypass residency programs due to worsening shortages.

United Kingdom: With its prestigious healthcare system, the United Kingdom has long been a magnet for health workers worldwide. Doctors in the UK earn an average salary of £100,000 ($136,000) per year, while nurses receive around £33,000 ($45,000) annually. In addition to decent compensation, healthcare professionals are drawn to the UK for its high-quality training and career advancement opportunities. According to a 2022 report, NHS England recruited a total of 26,321 doctors. Among them, 12,148 individuals, accounting for 46 percent of the total, were foreign nationals.

Canada: Known for its inclusive healthcare system, Canada is highly appealing to health workers seeking work-life balance and excellent compensation. Physicians in Canada earn an average of $339,000 CAD ($268,000 USD) annually, while registered nurses can make approximately $80,000 CAD ($63,000 USD) per year. Furthermore, Canada's diverse culture and welcoming environment make it an attractive destination for healthcare professionals from around the globe. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia one of the thirteen provinces and territories of Canada has created a short path for foreign doctors to practice medicine in the country.

Australia: Australia has emerged as a popular destination for health workers due to its attractive wages and high living standards. Physicians in Australia can expect to earn an average of AUD 150,000 ($111,000) per year, while nurses earn around AUD 60,000 to AUD 90,000 ($44,000 to $66,000) annually, depending on their experience. The country's robust healthcare infrastructure, alongside its captivating natural beauty, makes it a desirable choice for many health professionals.

United Arab Emirates: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has rapidly become a prominent destination for health workers in recent years. With its booming healthcare sector and tax-free salaries, the UAE offers an attractive package to professionals in the medical field. Physicians in the UAE can earn an average of AED 420,000 ($114,000) per year, while nurses make approximately AED 90,000 to AED 120,000 ($24,500 to $32,700) annually. The lure of working in state-of-the-art medical facilities and experiencing the vibrant culture of the UAE draws healthcare workers from various backgrounds.

Germany: A Thriving Healthcare Landscape Germany has gained prominence as a top destination for healthcare professionals due to its advanced medical infrastructure and attractive compensation packages. Physicians in Germany enjoy competitive salaries, with average earnings ranging from €50,000 to €100,000 per year. Registered nurses can expect to earn around €30,000 to €50,000 annually. Additionally, Germany's focus on research and innovation provides ample opportunities for professional development.

Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia, with its booming healthcare sector and generous compensation, has become an enticing destination for health professionals seeking rewarding career opportunities. Healthcare professionals in Saudi Arabia can enjoy substantial financial benefits, including tax-free income. Physicians working in Saudi Arabia can earn an average annual salary ranging from $80,000 to $300,000, depending on their specialization and experience. Registered nurses receive competitive salaries as well, with average earnings ranging from $30,000 to $80,000 per year. This tax-free income allows workers in the healthcare industry to maximize their earnings and secure a stable financial future.

Conclusion

Healthcare workers worldwide are drawn to countries that offer not only financial rewards but also promising career prospects. The United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and Germany have emerged as prime destinations, providing attractive compensation packages to healthcare professionals. These countries understand the value of skilled healthcare workers and strive to create an environment that fosters personal and professional growth. By recognizing these top destinations and their compensation offerings, we gain a deeper understanding of the global healthcare workforce dynamics and the factors influencing healthcare professionals' migration choices.

Source: https://www.publichealth.com.ng/top-countries-doctors-and-health-workers-migrate-to-and-how-much-they-are-paid/
Nigeria pay doctors huge amount of money. Ranging from 1.8million to 3million annually. And in that annual payment,you need to strike for like 4month before you are paid completely. Weldon don nigeria,you are doing well
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Welcomme: 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2023
franchasofficia:
If as a Doctor, Australia is easier for you to practice as a Nigerian trained Physician than USA.

If you are a nurse, go for USA because Australia is more difficult now for foreign nurses to practice in Ausie with some of their new policies. Whether US or Australia, you must write Nclex-rn to practice, so why waste time, money and energy writing Nclex-rn just to go to far away Australia whereas you can comfortably move to US once you pass the Nclex-rn.

Also Australia requires some additional qualification even after passing Nclex-rn whereas all you need to practice as a foreigned trained nurse in the US is to pass Nclex-rn exam
Can those from Nursing school also write this NCLEX?
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by franchasofficia: 9:31pm On Jul 12, 2023
Welcomme:
Can those from Nursing school also write this NCLEX?
Yes yes.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Kingzjayzee: 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2023
Klington:
Nigeria nko
check well Nigeria dey there
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by obi4eze(m): 10:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
simple87:

Is not calculated straight like that bro, before you argue any further my earning is in that range. A salary earner of 88k would still have around 59k after tax and NI deduction, outside pension which is optional.

Okay. Your take home is 59k after tax. Please check the take home of a junior doctor in Australia after tax.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Greystone: 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2023
We are coming.
So tired of the ever increasing work in the hospital, dwindling staff, poor working conditions.
It’s between Australia, Canada and the UK for me.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Greystone: 10:09pm On Jul 12, 2023
obi4eze:

Okay. Your take home is 59k after tax. Please check the take home of a junior doctor in Australia after tax.

Don’t mind him.
Presently in Nigeria a person needs to take home close to N800k to equal just $1k.
My friend and former classmate who is a Consultant spoke with me and said his only regret is not leaving for Australia earlier.

4 Likes

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by simple87: 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2023
obi4eze:

I'm not in any competition with anybody as long as my earning is enough for me to afford a quality lifestyle and my job continue to offer me a good work life balance. By the way 1pound is currently trading at 1.91 Australia dollars so you might want to have a second thought about your junior doctor earning first..

3 Likes

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by franchasofficia: 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2023
sonnie10:

Do you know how to get work authorization after passing the Nclex for US?
Yes, just sign up with an agency or don't you know any or do you need help finding job? The agency will offer you a job and file for work Visa for you. You can also get direct job. Have you passed US Nclex-rn and for which state board?
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Jaycee07(m): 10:15pm On Jul 12, 2023
dikings:
All this comparison, standard of living in those countries are high too. They donot pay thier bills and tax over there in Naira

That’s right. And that’s why the wages are humongous. Even after taxes and bills, you can still save some reasonable money.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by richard870(m): 10:18pm On Jul 12, 2023
Angelfrost:

What's your point, please?!! Even if they get less than that after taxes, aren't they still far better off there than in their own nation?!!
I mean no harm, just trying to be logical...saying they live better is now a thing of the past, many Nigerians sleep in the streets in these countries
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by sonnie10: 10:26pm On Jul 12, 2023
franchasofficia:
Yes, just sign up with an agency or don't you know any or do you need help finding job? The agency will offer you a job and file for work Visa for you. You can also get direct job. Have you passed US Nclex-rn and for which state board?
Just asking for a friend.
Please do you know if there are centers to write the Nclex exam in Nigeria?
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by HaneefahRN(f): 10:29pm On Jul 12, 2023
This op just manufactured salaries out of thin air full everywhere
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Salowise: 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2023
Nigeria dey pay physicians 300,000 naira, na small thing USA take pass us. cool cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by IbeOkehie: 12:39am On Jul 13, 2023
Angelfrost:

Even at that, a financially prudent person will still save and invest a lot more than here!

If you are earning 80k a year in UK, and cost of living plus taxes take up like 60k, are you saying 20k saved is too small?!!

If you convert that to Naira, are you not still far better than your mates working here?!!

Thank you 😊 .

The Anti-Japa Team is delusional. Where are they, they've all gone dumb since the naira resumed it's downward slide this week. I talked to a few people in Nigeria over the weekend and it seems the cost of living is getting unbearable. Definitely worse than any tax in UK or USA.

Nigeria where ₦500K per month is a huge salary that people dream of....that's $650. It's a pittance. A decade ago I spent ₦8K to fill up my SUV, today I'm told it's ₦32K and salaries have generally gone up by maybe 25 to 50%.

richard870:
I mean no harm, just trying to be logical...saying they live better is now a thing of the past, many Nigerians sleep in the streets in these countries

People who can't make reasonable comments should just leave the matter alone. YES some Nigerians in the US, UK and Canada are poor, they're are a small minority. None of those countries is the Poverty Capital of the World. Ordinary cook or bus driver abroad lives better than anyone earning over ₦200 to 300K monthly in Nigeria. Yes na me talk am.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Angelfrost(m): 12:44am On Jul 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Thank you 😊 .

The Anti-Japa Team is delusional. Where are they, they've all gone dumb since the naira resumed it's downward slide this week. I talked to a few people in Nigeria over the weekend and it seems the cost of living is getting unbearable. Definitely worse than any tax in UK or USA.

Nigeria where ₦500K per month is a huge salary that people dream of....that's $650. It's a pittance. A decade ago I spent ₦8K to fill up my SUV, today I'm told it's ₦32K and salaries have generally gone up by maybe 25 to 50%.

People who can't make reasonable comments should just SHUT UP.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

They always think they are being patriotic...! They don't realize that even their leaders are not patriotic themselves!

1 Like

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by emmyN(m): 12:55am On Jul 13, 2023
ednut1:
Nigerian Nurses in the UK start with 22k to 25k a year. There are Nigerian doctors on 60k GBP a year too.

So what would be the monthly take home for nurses seeing tax is up to 40%?
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by ednut1(m): 1:01am On Jul 13, 2023
emmyN:

So what would be the monthly take home for nurses seeing tax is up to 40%?
tax is not 40% but 20% for that salary band. Someone earning 60k will be taxed 20% for the first 50k, then 40% for the extra 10k

1 Like

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by emmyN(m): 1:17am On Jul 13, 2023
ednut1:
tax is not 40% but 20% for that salary band. Someone earning 60k will be taxed 20% for the first 50k, then 40% for the extra 10k

I see. The projected monthly earnings for that pay band still looks small though and does not match the glowing review of the nursing profession folks in the UK give.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by ednut1(m): 1:24am On Jul 13, 2023
emmyN:

I see. The projected monthly earnings for that pay band still looks small though and does not match the glowing review of the nursing profession folks in the UK give.
that’s starting salary. Currently 28k according to someone on the thread. They earn more with overtime shifts. They also get increased pay as the years go by. They also work and live in areas with low cost of living.Remember these people were on 50k to 80k naira salary a month in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by IbeOkehie: 1:24am On Jul 13, 2023
Angelfrost:

They always think they are being patriotic...! They don't realize that even their leaders are not patriotic themselves!

Well they can't be more patriotic than the esteemed Ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR who has lived in the UK and Spain with his entire family for over 40 years.

Bunch of idiots they are...

Good Luck to Nigerian patriots.
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Mayflowa(m): 2:36am On Jul 13, 2023
richard870:
Lol...as if they get the whole amount quoted. Please, stop misinforming people just get like/shares

Very false info. US doctors don’t make an average of $300,000. It about $150,000 - $200,000. Only very specialized and experienced physician specialties will earn 300k. Out of the of $150K, one third is for tax
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by alphabbey1(m): 4:57am On Jul 13, 2023
simple87:

Entry level for Nurses in UK is band 5 and they don't start on 22k, not even nursing associate. The starting salary for entry level nurse (Band 5) in England as of today is 28407 Pounds.
It's just social media misleading you. You didn't bother to ask a Nigerian nurse in UK how much she earns, you just quoted that guy with the news you went to read on NursesdotUKdotCo... You didn't also read the full news, the first paragraph is what you copied to argue here....

He ain't wrong, my sis works as a nurse in UK currently and her current salary is between that range that guy quoted. You are the wrong person here.... Before you correct someone, ensure you make inquiry with reality and not Google coz google will not be the one to pay you the salary....
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by simple87: 5:45am On Jul 13, 2023
alphabbey1:

It's just social media misleading you. You didn't bother to ask a Nigerian nurse in UK how much she earns, you just quoted that guy with the news you went to read on NursesdotUKdotCo... You didn't also read the full news, the first paragraph is what you copied to argue here....

He ain't wrong, my sis works as a nurse in UK currently and her current salary is between that range that guy quoted. You are the wrong person here.... Before you correct someone, ensure you make inquiry with reality and not Google coz google will not be the one to pay you the salary....

What have I written that is wrong? If you can point it out and back it up with evidences why it is wrong I would send you 30K naira.

I work with the NHS here in the UK, just so you know that I'm not copying anything from social media rather just saying it the way it is. I wouldn't know why you are so pained in me stating the obvious because I really did't disagree with th OP on nurses earning in the UK. Mr first paragraph, If you have taken your time to read through all my posts on this issue carefully before quoting me you could have figured this out, na wah ooo....
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by Sweetvie: 5:55am On Jul 13, 2023
Hmm
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by richard870(m): 6:55am On Jul 13, 2023
Mayflowa:

Very false info. US doctors don’t make an average of $300,000. It about $150,000 - $200,000. Only very specialized and experienced physician specialties will earn 300k. Out of the of $150K, one third is for tax
Exactly jare
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by franchasofficia: 6:59am On Jul 13, 2023
sonnie10:

Just asking for a friend.
Please do you know if there are centers to write the Nclex exam in Nigeria?
No.

Nclex-rn can only be written in South Africa for Africans.

But most Nigerians prefer to go to:

Philippines
Brazil
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by sonnie10: 7:53am On Jul 13, 2023
franchasofficia:
No.

Nclex-rn can only be written in South Africa for Africans.

But most Nigerians prefer to go to:

Philippines
Brazil
Thanks for the information. I will let them know
Re: Top Countries Doctors And Health Workers Migrate To And How Much They Are Paid by SemperFid: 7:59am On Jul 13, 2023
richard870:
Lol...as if they get the whole amount quoted. Please, stop misinforming people just get like/shares

After all deductions what they get remaining is 100 times what they get in Nigeria.

Mumu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can A Female Get Rid Of Her Muscular Arms? / How Does Egovin Work. / Girl Born With Imperforate Anus In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.