Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,714 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial (5803 Views)

Resign Or Be Sacked From INEC – Ozekhome Warns Amina Zakari / Mutallab Pleads Guilty -- What Next For Him? / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by aloyemeka1: 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
[size=14pt]Mutallab: Nigerian juror sacked from trial[/size]
on OCTOBER 6, 2011 · in NEWS

By HUGO ODIOGOR
LAGOS—A Nigerian woman who was earlier selected as a juror in the trial of a 24-year- old Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, for allegedly attempting to blow up a North-West Airline in Detriot on December 25, 2009, has been dropped.

District Judge Nancy Edmunds who announced the 12- member jury to sit in the trial said there were 12 jurors and four alternates while the Nigerian woman was dismissed after being identified earlier as being from Nigeria. The judge did not elaborate or explain the dismissal in court.

Meanwhile, Nigerian security agencies have been briefed to watch some key northern states- Kano, Kaduna, Katsina Bauchi and Plateau.

Informed security sources said the reports exclusively published by Vanguard had caused the security high command to be extra-vigilant for a possible misguided attack on government institutions, individuals and religious organisations by presumed admirers of the young Nigerian terror suspect

Abdulmutallab, a well-educated 24-year-old from an upper-class family, was directed by a radical Islamic cleric in Yemen to carry a pant bomb into the aircraft for a possible terrorist attack.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/mutallab-nigerian-juror-sacked-from-trial-2/
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by aloyemeka1: 3:29am On Oct 07, 2011
Either way she will be a partial juror. If she is a Christian southerner, she will definitely convict Mutallab, if she is Yoruba Christian,  but if she is Yoruba or Northern muslim, she will definitely cause mistrial in that court. The best thing to do is to eliminate her besides, she may not want to be part of it because she may not only be losing wages doing that but her family in Nigeria will be at the mercy of the outcome of the case. Imagine selecting OnlyTruth in the jury and how merciful he will be to the cause of his fellow country man who is from the muslim North. Mutallab is safer in the hands of white rednecks I swear.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by tpia5: 3:43am On Oct 07, 2011
why was she there in the first place.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by arsenefc: 4:20am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^

It is called jury of your peers. ediot!

A jury of your peers means anyone in your peer group. Meaning, if you were a road side mechanic your jury would be filled with fellow roadside mechanics. If you were a peasant, your jury would be full of peasants.

Who best to serve on the jury?

Do you really expect White people to be impartial? What an ediot?
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 07, 2011
They did not give the reason, makes no sense.

Unless she showed any sign of partiality, the law has no right to dismiss her just because of her race/nationality.

I'm sure there is another reason.

But if the reason was sufficient, she would have been dismissed during Voir Dire.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by moremi2008(m): 5:29am On Oct 07, 2011
Why are they even trying this in a court?! He should be summarily executed and promptly forgotten. Why is the US wasting time and resources on this foolish man?
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by arsenefc: 6:06am On Oct 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Unless she showed any sign of partiality, the law has no right to dismiss her just because of her race/nationality.

But if the reason was sufficient, she would have been dismissed during Voir Dire.

Ileke the law, no come dey 'tranga' for hia ooooo

O fe ma show colour?
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 07, 2011
I guess its too early for all your stalkees to be stalked abi?
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by arsenefc: 6:10am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^

Are you on PST?
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 07, 2011
arsenefc:

^^^

Are you on PST?

When I'm done answering that, I'll also give you my email password.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by arsenefc: 6:17am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^

That would be so kind of you. I wouldnt mind your account number and SS and mother's maiden name as well.

Our elders say: Agbatan laa gba ole ( lazy man)
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Akanniade(m): 6:26am On Oct 07, 2011
arsenefc:

^^^

A jury of your peers means anyone in your peer group. Meaning, if you were a road side mechanic your jury would be filled with fellow roadside mechanics. If you were a peasant, your jury would be full of peasants.

This is not entirely true in recent times. A mechanic on trial could have a jury pool made up of teachers, doctors, cleaners etc.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 6:32am On Oct 07, 2011
Every registered American is a potential juror.

Do you have a driver license? Are you registered in an academic institute? Is your name in the phone book? etc? There you go.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Princek12(m): 9:42am On Oct 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Do you have a driver license? Are you registered in an academic institute? Is your name in the phone book? etc? There you go.

Not true. You have to be registered to vote to be in the pool from which potential jurors are selected.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by evamathis: 11:12am On Oct 07, 2011
Princek12:

Not true. [b][b]You have to be registered to vote [/b][/b]to be in the pool from which potential jurors are selected.

not true!
I have been selected for jury duty once and I was NOT registered to vote!

Ileke-IdI:

[b][b]Do you have a driver license? Are you registered in an academic institute? Is your name in the phone book?[/b][/b] etc? There you go.

so Ileke might be right
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Gbenge77(m): 11:20am On Oct 07, 2011
Fair enough.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by aloyemeka1: 11:21am On Oct 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

One can be excused from a jury if the judge discovers that he/she has a connection or anything that may introduce bias  with the defendant/plaintiff.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by llbhuds: 11:36am On Oct 07, 2011
this judgement is bias because we have seen an american involved in a terroristic act (Timothy McVeigh) and which was tried and sentenced to death by jury made up of americans.
Ileke-IdI:

well said bro and i think this decision has no moral justification.
arsenefc:

^^^

are white people not human like you and me? abi they were created differently by the creator?
mehn na wa for you oooo
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by forkadict(m): 11:59am On Oct 07, 2011
Akanniade:

This is not entirely true in recent times. A mechanic on trial could have a jury pool made up of teachers, doctors, cleaners etc.

Ileke-IdI:

Although i never reach yankee before o. But i don read John Grisham books before and what i read confirmed the above.

Also a potential juror should have no criminal record.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2011
arsenefc:

^^^

^he didnt know mister, and he asked an humble question, but with d manner u answered, am now more confused as to who i should choose as a bigger ediot!
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by pynkspyce: 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2011
she was removed because of the potential to be biased.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by olcodedkid: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2011
don't be suprised mutalab case might be a conspiracy against nigeria
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by donenick(m): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2011
moremi2008:

Why are they even trying this in a court?! He should be summarily executed and promptly forgotten. Why is the US wasting time and resources on this foolish man?
he is foolish boy not man!
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by bankylan: 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2011
'message from muttalab' a book that really exposed what led him to the act. it is available as ebook. you can google search the tittle.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by manny4life(m): 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2011
valacious:

^he didnt know mister, and he asked an humble question, but with d manner u answered, am now more confused as to who i should choose as a bigger ediot!

Leave Mr. SMART, I have challenged his thoughts and reasoning on two occasions; twice he ran and NEVER CAME BACK. There he goes with his know it all; he fumbled once more again on the definition of " jury of your peers".

According to the sixth amendment, The 6th Amendment guarantees the accused the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury. The phrase "jury of one's peers" although is NOT included in the Amendment, however, the courts interpret peer to mean equal, i.e., the jury pool must include a cross section of the population of the community in terms of gender, race, and national origin. The jury selection process must not exclude or intentionally narrow any particular group of people.

According to him, A jury of your peers means anyone in your peer group. Meaning, if you were a road side mechanic your jury would be filled with fellow roadside mechanics. If you were a peasant, your jury would be full of peasants.  hasn't that flawed the reasoning of the courts and the constitution " The jury selection process must not exclude or intentionally narrow any particular group of people"?

Every American Citizen is a Potential Juror and has the right to appeal if he or she deems that they were NOT selected based on biased protocols. Although the Jury process is quite lengthy and they MUST meet certain judicial code of conduct AND requirement (like criminal records) etc, but everyone is a potential, it's a CIVIC DUTY.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2011
manny4life:

Leave Mr. SMART, I have challenged his thoughts and reasoning on two occasions; twice he ran and NEVER CAME BACK. There he goes with his know it all; he fumbled once more again on the definition of " jury of your peers".

According to the sixth amendment, The 6th Amendment guarantees the accused the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury. The phrase "jury of one's peers" although is NOT included in the Amendment, however, the courts interpret peer to mean equal, i.e., the jury pool must include a cross section of the population of the community in terms of gender, race, and national origin. The jury selection process must not exclude or intentionally narrow any particular group of people.

According to him, A jury of your peers means anyone in your peer group. Meaning, if you were a road side mechanic your jury would be filled with fellow roadside mechanics. If you were a peasant, your jury would be full of peasants.  hasn't that flawed the reasoning of the courts and the constitution " The jury selection process must not exclude or intentionally narrow any particular group of people"?

Every American Citizen is a Potential Juror and has the right to appeal if he or she deems that they were NOT selected based on biased protocols. Although the Jury process is quite lengthy and they MUST meet certain judicial code of conduct AND requirement (like criminal records) etc, but everyone is a potential, it's a CIVIC DUTY.
^thank u jor. Where is mr smart 'arsenefc' to respond to this. Dont think there is any point responding to his shallow mind, even d club and manager he supports-arsenal, are losers
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Otunbakay(m): 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2011
Ah! Muttallab why did u do it? Anyhow carry ur cross.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Anvaller: 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Either way she will be a partial juror. If she is a Christian southerner, she will definitely convict Mutallab, if she is Yoruba Christian,  but if she is Yoruba or Northern muslim, she will definitely cause mistrial in that court. The best thing to do is to eliminate her besides, she may not want to be part of it because she may not only be losing wages doing that but her family in Nigeria will be at the mercy of the outcome of the case. Imagine selecting OnlyTruth in the jury and how merciful he will be to the cause of his fellow country man who is from the muslim North. Mutallab is safer in the hands of white rednecks I swear.

your comment here reflects your level of ignorance. So what u are saying is that a Yoruba muslim is also a terrorist. Have u seen such propensity in them talkless of any record? Any one who will convict the guy does not need to do that on the basis of whether christain or muslim but on the basis of fact. It doesnt matter at all what he believes to have commited that offence and it shouldnt matter at all what the judge or any one involved believes before convicting him of the crime. Is he guilty? - yes then jail him period.

U need to expand your scope I think, its an advice, not to run u down, hope u'd understand.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 07, 2011
my country (the US of Imperialism  tongue) is very jacked up. full of hypocrites.
when a victim is black and the perp is white they STILL use white jurors and vice versa.
wtf is this? so because she is Nigerian she will 'automatically vote in his favor'?  tongue angry

had i been old enough and was called for jury duty back when the Jamo guy (Ferguson) went on a shooting spree
in the New York and killed all of those people in the train/subway station, I would have "NAY'ED" his arse  angry! Evil is evil, blind is blind and weak is weak. What ever you do you have to suffer the consequences.  undecided I am more than sure Nigerians for the most part agree. So why should she be sacked? Sounds like discrimination to me.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by POTUT(m): 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2011
Posted by: Ileke-IdI
Insert Quote

A statement credited to her reads something to the effect that she was 'embarrassed by the news of the attempted attack by mutallab'
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by 2mch(m): 3:44pm On Oct 07, 2011
She is already biased, she will hang him without considering the facts of the case. The fact that she was embarassed by the incident shows that she will not believe any insanity plea by Mutallab. They need unbiased people, and people that will give Mutallab a "fair" trial. undecided. This is not a racial issue. It might have been on the recommendation of his lawyers. undecided
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Akiika: 4:35pm On Oct 07, 2011
Nairalanders, as usual bickering over what you have little or no knowledge of. Anyway, i happen to have been chosen for jury duty before and i was not selected eventually. It has nothing to do with where you originally come from, chikena. You read ethnicity, tribalism e.t.c to everything
Most of you are worst than the polilooters we often criticise on this forum.
Nigerian problem is unfortunately societal, not only of the Govt.
STOP the verbal abuse for crying out loud. We are the so called Nigerian elite, if we can't be disciplined enough to be objective on a simple forum then how can we effect any change in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Police Found Inside Uncompleted Building In Nnewi / Jonathan, PDP Plan Shocker For Tambuwal / Igbos and Yorubas should stop displaying their Stupidity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.